• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unexpected Emotional Songs

I’m going to add another one……

When DD24 was little she loved Tarzan (she was 3 or 4) and the song You’ll Be In My Heart unexpectedly made me very emotional and from then on and forward it was our mommy/daughter song. I would sing this to her all the time and as she became older I would send her this link to remind her I loved her, especially if she was having a difficult day.

This song has a new set of emotions attached to it now that DD24 decided on a life path that doesn’t involve us. I’m keeping the faith that one day she decides to come back to us so we can be with her and our 2 grandchildren. Then I can sing this song to them.

I came here to post this same song. My DD is almost 30 and she and my SIL are expecting their first baby. This song gets me every time and speaks so clearly to what a parent's love is.

Father daughter dance for our youngest . There wasn't a dry eye in the building.

"I LOVED FIRST"

Look at the two of you dancin' that way
Lost in the moment and each other's face
So much in love, you're alone in this place
Like there's nobody else in the world
I was enough for her not long ago
I was her number one, she told me so
And she still means the world to me, just so you know
So be careful when you hold my girl
Time changes everything, life must go on
And I'm not gonna stand in your way

But I loved her first, I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it's still hard to give her away
I loved her first

How could that beautiful woman with you
Be the same freckle face kid that I knew
The one that I read all those fairytales to
And tucked into bed all those nights
And I knew the first time I saw you with her
It was only a matter of time

I loved her first, I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it's still hard to give her away

I loved her first
Someday you might know what I'm goin' through
When a miracle smiles up at you
I loved her first

Stand By Me, both the song and the movie. The song by Ben E. King, came out when I was in my mid-teens, 1961. So it really sticks in my mind from my teen years, as do songs from most all of us and our teen years. And then the movie, taking place in 1959, reminds me a lot of my own youth, 15 that year, and growing up (sans the dead body though), pretty much like the movie kids. Playing on the train tracks, walking through and hanging out in the nearby woods, the leeches from being in the river, smoking the cigarettes (and yes, my Camels rolled up in my T-shirt sleeve), thinking we were so very cool, bumming around with my buddies. And then knowing that those days are but very distant memories for me now, never to be relived, but rather savored as part of who I am today. Darn, misty here, writing and listening.

Thank you for this Dan - I hope and pray for this every day ❤️🙏
:hug:'s
This song is a Christian Contemporary song that when I first heard it in my late 20's hit me so hard and helped me to overcome my childhood hurts from a father who was always to busy with work and divorced my mother and completely abandoned my brothers and me when I was 7, and then being raised by an abusive and alcoholic stepfather (who is now changed and a wonderful person). Sorry to be preachy and a bit sappy, but it definitely was an emotional song for me and also had the opportunity to tell this story to David Meece (singer) in person years later at a concert of his locally.

Wow, goofy. Amazing.

• Love
Reactions: slo

@slo I don't know you, but I am very sorry to hear that things with your daughter are in a dark time. Hoping time will be able to bring you and her together.
Thank you very much for your kind words. My DH, DD19 & and myself appreciate them very much ❤️

A Reason to Fight by Disturbed. My daughter and I saw them live not long after my brother died and I can honestly say it was the only time I've ever cried at a rock concert, but the song is just heartbreaking and the way they do it live, connecting with the audience as they talk about people they've lost to addiction and suicide, was more than I could take.

• Love

It is Well.
It was always my Dad's favorite hymn and we sang it at his funeral. My mom played piano for our church when she was pregnant with me, and when I was young, so I've grown up hearing this song in four part harmony. I'm an alto and I just naturally harmonize on any "hymn like" song. And I LOVE just a simple piano accompaniment, too.

And also "Is He Worthy?" (Yeah, all of my emotional songs are Christian songs. Sorry!)
Love this version, because even the original writer/artist (the one playing piano in this video) gets emotional singing his own song. I've also got a personal connection to this song, as I grew up going to church with the co-writer of the song.

• Love
Adele, Go Easy On Me.

I have a teen going through an independent stage and she isn't terribly nice to me at times, I can't do anything right, she snaps at me etc. I hope this stage passes quickly LOL, but this song plays in my head sometimes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter