Underrated/Overrated: WDW attractions

KingLlama

DIS Veteran
I really enjoyed the polls that @Tonyz put together for the board, and I thought this would be a fun changeup. Instead of a poll, we'll do overrated/underrated.

Remember, this ISN'T "best" and "worst", or even your "favorite" and "least favorite". This is simply what you feel is an under-appreciated attraction, and one that, in your opinion, doesn't quite match the hype.

For the first one, pick one WDW(or Disneyland, if that's your "home" park) attraction that you feel is underrated, and one that's overrated. And then let the arguing....errr.....discussion begin!

Mine:

Underrated: Primeval Whirl. I know it has its share of detractors, both in terms of the ride itself and the "land" it's in at AK. But I love this ride. There's rarely a wait, and no ride makes me laugh more while I ride it. It's not my favorite WDW attraction, but it's the one I think people who automatically dismiss it are really missing out on.

Overrated: Test Track. I still like this attraction, and will continue to ride it every time I visit WDW. But I felt the overhaul was a bit clunky and took away an element of the fun. I'm only calling this "overrated" in relation to its typical wait times. Not a bad attraction by any means, I just don't feel like it quite lives up to the hype.

Yours?

Last edited:
Cool idea Llama

For underrated, the first one that came to mind was Living with the Land - that is one of our must dos at least once each trip as our kids love it and I think it is a neat mix of the scenes/animatronics in the beginning and then the actual greenhouses, etc.

I had more trouble thinking of overrated. I certainly don't think Peter Pan is worth the lines it typically gets but I now there are extenuating circumstances. One that comes to mind is Rock n Roller Coaster ... I think it is a fun ride but other than the Aerosmith aspect this is just an exact copy of a ride found in Europe (except inside) and just doesn't feel as unique or "Disney" to me and definitely not the "must do" like I know it is for others

Overrated: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - the lines are ridiculous, it's not a great roller-coaster, I just don't understand why people wait two hours to ride it.

Underrated: Journey of the Little Mermaid - People (especially girls) around my age were brought up singing these songs. While it's not an amazing ride, I think it's a fun musical with a nice little story.

Overrated: SDMT - it's a fun ride, but it's really mild for a coaster and far too short for the amount of time people wait to ride it.

Underrated: I had a harder time with this, as there are quite a few attractions that I feel are underrated. For now, I think I'll agree with OP and say Primeval Whirl. I rode this for the first time in May and had a blast. It was absolutely not what I was expecting...it's faster and much more of a "thrill" ride than it looks. (I'll be a little more prepared next time...the first ride resulted in me getting queasy with motion sickness)

Underrated: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. I know, nobody agrees. It's too short, it's not a roller coaster ... these are opinions that people have because they're going in with an idea of what they want it to be, and that's not what it is. If you go in with no expectations ... it's a cute ride with some small thrills and fun details. Maybe the wait is too long, but it's also not the crime against humanity that some people make it out to be.
And I'm also going to agree on Primeval Whirl ... it's a cute ride, a lot of fun, and always a reasonable wait.

Overrated: PeopleMover. Yes, there are some good views, but it's not a comfortable ride. It's too fast for me to enjoy some of the views, and it hurts my back more than almost any other ride at Disney. After the last time I did it, I said never again. Not worth the back pain.

Sorry, Sarah, I've got to agree to disagree on the People Mover being Over Rated. I love this ride. Constantly loading, interesting perspective and great people watching, cool. It does whip around some of the corners amazingly fast, but I love to sit on it, relax, put my feet up across from me, and just chill.

Over Rated - I KNOW I'm going to face some controversy here, and I'm ready! LOL. I have never in all my times riding it, understood the fever or fervor for TSMM. Is it that fact that for the longest it's one of the few "good" attractions left at that park, and one of the only ones somebody who can't ride TZTOT or RNRC like me (because of spinal surgery) can do? I also get very tired very quickly from "shooting things" just like I do on Buzz LightYear, so end up just mostly looking around, and not even trying to shoot. It's cute, it's okay, and I will ride IF I have a FP, and think "yeah, okay", but it's NOT "all that a bag of chips" in my book, and I felt totally underwhelmed from my very first experience; just do not unerstand all the hype. Sorry, TSMM lovers. Like I said above, agree to disagree?

Last edited:
Disneyland is my park
Overrated: Tower of Terror Themeing is great, but the actual ride is lame.
Underrated: Monster's Inc. It is a fun dark ride. It may not be ground breaking or innovative, but it is fun and tells a good story.

Sorry, Sarah, I've got to agree to disagree on the People Mover being Under Rated. I love this ride. Constantly loading, interesting perspective and great people watching, cool. It does whip around some of the corners amazingly fast, but I love to sit on it, relax, put my feet up across from me, and just chill.

Over Rated - I KNOW I'm going to face some controversy here, and I'm ready! LOL. I have never in all my times riding it, understood the fever or fervor for TSMM. Is it that fact that for the longest it's one of the few "good" attractions left at that park, and one of the only ones somebody who can't ride TZTOT or RNRC like me (because of spinal surgery) can do? I also get very tired very quickly from "shooting things" just like I do on Buzz LightYear, so end up just mostly looking around, and not even trying to shoot. It's cute, it's okay, and I will ride IF I have a FP, and think "yeah, okay", but it's NOT "all that a bag of chips" in my book, and I felt totally underwhelmed from my very first experience; just do not unerstand all the hype. Sorry, TSMM lovers. Like I said above, agree to disagree?

I actually get what you are saying about TSMM and definitely agree it isn't worth a 2+ hour wait you would sometimes see (at least before the 3rd track). I think the popularity is because it is one of the true "everybody" rides in DHS (other rides are more for just bigger kids and adults or it is Disney Jr stuff for the little ones) .... and it one of those things that people know is popular so they plan their day around getting on it, which makes it more popular and the cycle continues

I like this idea! I am going to choose one from each park.

Underrated
MK: Country Bear Jamboree, it is one of my favorite shows in all of WDW.
Epcot: Living with the Land, Its a must do for me
DHS: Muppet Vision 3D, Its the last thing Jim Henson worked on.
AK: It's Tough to be a Bug, (AK is really underrated overall) My favorite 3D show

Overrated
MK: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is not worth a 2 hour wait, nice ride but not that great.
Epcot: I haven't seen Frozen yet so, Soarin, I have yet to do the new version which I am excited for but I like Test Track better.
DHS: TSMM, nice ride but people act like its the best thing ever its just a 3D shooter game that practically every theme park has.
AK: Nothing in this park is really overrated but I will say EE I guess since it has a broken Yeti...

Underrated: Jungle Cruise. Yes, the animatronics (if we can call them that) are vintage. But the vibe is cool. Jungle Cruise after dark is an absolute gem. Atmospheric and fun when the sun goes down.

Overrated: Kali River Rapids at AK. Wonderful theming but it ends there. Just not a good ride. Honourable mention to the above listed TSMM & Test Track.

Underrated: American Adventure - I cannot go to Disney World without seeing this at least once, but usually do many times. I love it so much and I rarely see it even mentioned by most. I love that it has been there so long but still uses technology that is interesting. I love the history lesson that many could use and I really love the music. I wish it were more appreciated!

Overrated: Space Mountain - I love coasters and don't mind a scary or dark. I just don't think this one is all that great or worth the waits it usually has. And I never want to use a FP on it.

Underrated: American Adventure - I cannot go to Disney World without seeing this at least once, but usually do many times. I love it so much and I rarely see it even mentioned by most. I love that it has been there so long but still uses technology that is interesting. I love the history lesson that many could use and I really love the music. I wish it were more appreciated!

Overrated: Space Mountain - I love coasters and don't mind a scary or dark. I just don't think this one is all that great or worth the waits it usually has. And I never want to use a FP on it.

Thanks for posting this ... to be honest, I am not sure if I have ever done the actual American Adventure show (I have seen the voices of liberty which I love) ... I think I will try to see this when we are there in a few weeks

I somewhat disagree with you about Space Mountain - although I will say I think Orlando has the weakest version (of the ones I have been on Hong Kong's was the best and then Anaheim's and then Orlando's)

I love it Llama! The torch is now passed!

Underrated: Living with the Land used to be my pick, but I don't really think it's that underrated anymore. A lot of people seem to really enjoy this one. Figment might be my pick since I have a soft spot for it, but up until that last room, it really is kinda a mess.

I'm gonna go with the Gran Fiesta Tour. I love a nice boat ride; great soundtrack, love the Three Caballeros, and now they even got animatronics at the end!

Overrated: American Adventure. Hate it. I'm not really big with the whole "patriotism" thing, so I don't get all warm and misty with this one. And that song, Golden Dreams, is atrocious. Did it once, and have no need to ever do it again. (Funny enough, I love Hall of Presidents)

Underrated: Jungle Cruise. Yes, the animatronics (if we can call them that) are vintage. But the vibe is cool. Jungle Cruise after dark is an absolute gem. Atmospheric and fun when the sun goes down.

Overrated: Kali River Rapids at AK. Wonderful theming but it ends there. Just not a good ride. Honourable mention to the above listed TSMM & Test Track.

I LOVE the Jungle Cruise, but I wouldn't really call it "underrated". It's a Disney classic, one of the most loved of any attraction.

Underrated: Living with the Land, which is one of my favorite rides.
Overrated: Buzz Lightyear and the new Test Track

Underrated: Gran Fiesta, Living with the Land, and the Great Movie Ride. They are sweet and so Disney-esque.
Overrated: Rockin' Rollercoaster and Peter Pan.

Underrated: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. I know, nobody agrees. It's too short, it's not a roller coaster ... these are opinions that people have because they're going in with an idea of what they want it to be, and that's not what it is. If you go in with no expectations ... it's a cute ride with some small thrills and fun details. Maybe the wait is too long, but it's also not the crime against humanity that some people make it out to be.

I completely agree! I don't understand the criticism. If you were paying even slight attention to what they were saying during construction, you know it wasn't gonna be a big thrill ride. It's a fun little coaster with a great classic "dark ride" feel in the middle, with a nice ending. Plus the thing is gorgeous. Love the waterfall!

For me it's an instant classic, and the centerpiece of Fantasyland.

Underrated: Gran Fiesta, Living with the Land, and the Great Movie Ride. They are sweet and so Disney-esque.
Overrated: Rockin' Rollercoaster and Peter Pan.

Don't feel that Peter Pan is sweet and Disney-esque?

I LOVE the Jungle Cruise, but I wouldn't really call it "underrated". It's a Disney classic, one of the most loved of any attraction.

Jungle Cruise seems like one of those rides that if you are a big fan of it (and I am) then you don't get why other people don't love it more and if you don't care for it (the puns, etc.) they you don't get why people love it so much

... so one of those things that is underrated and overrated at the same time depending on who you talk to

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter