Under seat luggage

Nohal

DIS Veteran
Our trip is coming up soon and I just bought one of the new type under seat wheeled luggage. We will both be taking a carry on to go in the over head bin. Usually take a tote and back pack, but this time I bought the wheeled under seat luggage. I'm worried that they may not let me take it as it is a wheeled piece of luggage even though it will fit under the seat. Has anyone had a problem with this new type of underseat luggage?

The TSA set the limits for carryon items as: one bag & one small personal item. Exceptions for medical items, etc.

Check your airline’s website to find their specific restrictions, especially as to dimensions.

Remember that the stated size on luggage tags is often incorrect, not factoring in the wheels or handle or even expansion size when filled to capacity

Spirit seems the toughest enforcing these rules of any of the airlines I fly as to personal items. Southwest strikes me as more forgiving, especially on items I’ve seen carried aboard from Orlando.

Wheeled under seat bags are not new, there are just more available for sale, lately.

Each legacy carrier, such as American, Delta, United, etc., allows up to two carry-on bags, per passenger. The ultra low-cost carriers, such as Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit, etc., may charge you for any carry-on bag, other than what fits under the seat in front of you. Southwest allows two free carry-ons (one under the seat in front of you and one in the overhead bin), at no extra charge.

You need to be aware that the under seat space varies both by airline and seat location. For instance, many aisle seats have a much narrower under seat storage area, than the center and window seats.

Here is a useful article from USA Today:
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/dimensions-space-under-airline-seats-62378.html

The TSA set the limits for carryon items as: one bag & one small personal item.
I'm not sure this is accurate. I believe the TSA doesn't care how much luggage a passenger has, or what size each piece is.

It's an airline restriction. Personal item restriction is based on the amount of space under the seat. This can vary by airline, or even plane. I do know with JetBlue that the item needs to fit completely - no wheels, straps, or handles sticking out.

Wheeled under seat bags are not new, there are just more available for sale, lately.
Yep, they've been around for a while, at least 15 years. So long as it meets their size restrictions, you're good, even if it doesn't fit under the seat. I have a Gura Gear bag that is the largest allowed on AA as a personal item to the inch, and it doesn't fit under the seat of any of their current domestic aircraft fleet thanks to new seats and equipment boxes underneath them, so I just throw it in the overhead and nobody cares.

I'm not sure this is accurate. I believe the TSA doesn't care how much luggage a passenger has, or what size each piece is.

It's an airline restriction. Personal item restriction is based on the amount of space under the seat. This can vary by airline, or even plane. I do know with JetBlue that the item needs to fit completely - no wheels, straps, or handles sticking out.

Thankfully, every airline I’ve flown checks to make sure the personal item is safely tucked away in it’s spot during take off & landings

That’s what i thought too :confused3until stumbling over this awhile ago when searching for a new under-seat bag that would work with spirit flights too. SWA is vague as to seat saving policies on their website, why not follow suit with carry on luggage too?

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/carryon-bags-pol.html

Per TSA regulations, carryon items are limited to one bag, plus one small, personal item.

Unfortunately, I've been witnessing TSA getting more involved, where I'm not sure they should care.

Strangely both recent events occurred at LAX, so maybe something is going wonkie with their training.

I do not condense to go thru security (only at gate) & usually will be buying food inside security & want my purse out. I was stopped by TSA before document check & told 'one carry on + one personal' & was not allowed to proceed until I condensed. I didn't argue & as I condensed she joked that most people just pull all there stuff out again once past security. Unbeknownst to her, I had it all pulled out again by the time I hit the belt. Took my chances on being asked again.

A month later, also at LAX, just after security, I hear a couple discussing the trouble they had getting a small hard sided roller case past TSA as a personal item & wondering if they should have a backpack like mine. The other just answered 'I checked the dimensions online with the airline & it passes'. But, they were still given grief.

That’s what i thought too :confused3until stumbling over this awhile ago when searching for a new under-seat bag that would work with spirit flights too. SWA is vague as to seat saving policies on their website, why not follow suit with carry on luggage too?

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/carryon-bags-pol.html

Per TSA regulations, carryon items are limited to one bag, plus one small, personal item.
This is one where, well, they're both right. The TSA permits anything that the FAA requires be allowed on board, and beyond that restricts it to two items per person that they must fit through the X-Ray. If an airline wishes to allow more than that through, the fee charged to the airline by the TSA increases when this happens. Some middle eastern airlines notably permit two 21" rollaboard carry-ons for business and/or first class passengers. In airports where there's only one airline past a security checkpoint (read: most big ones) TSA will also help the airlines by enforcing baggage policies as well, and of course the airline may then further restrict size and weight based on its aircraft, policies, how money grubbing it is, et cetera.

Remember: the TSA is a group contracted by your airline to provide security, so the airlines do get some measure of control over the situation. I know the TSA likes to present itself as 100% government mandated and such (it's part of its security theater), but it's legally on the airlines to provide security for their own aircraft, terminals and passengers, and they insisted that they keep this control after 9/11. The TSA is an agency provided by the federal government that airlines may contract with to provide security for a nominal fee (your 9/11 security fee); there's nothing from stopping an airline from using a private company, except that private security would be more expensive and don't provide nearly the 100% indemnity of the TSA. Legally, the TSA is closer to being a private sector company than the USPS or Amtrak: both of the later actually have Federal police powers, the TSA must call the local police to arrest someone.

Each legacy carrier, such as American, Delta, United, etc., allows up to two carry-on bags, per passenger. The ultra low-cost carriers, such as Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit, etc., may charge you for any carry-on bag, other than what fits under the seat in front of you. Southwest allows two free carry-ons (one under the seat in front of you and one in the overhead bin), at no extra charge.

You need to be aware that the under seat space varies both by airline and seat location. For instance, many aisle seats have a much narrower under seat storage area, than the center and window seats.

THIS ^^

I have a wheeled laptop bag that also has a small-ish compartment for clothes (or whatever). It fits under the seat in front of me on SOME airlines. And not if I'm on an aisle--those underseat spaces are typically narrower. Where the supports are located for the seat in front of you, as well as underseat items such as the lifevest storage, definitely impacts how much room you have.

And while some airlines may 'look the other way' if you store 2 items in the overhead bin for one passenger, you are taking away a spot for someone who is following the rules of one piece above and one under the seat.

OT but i’ve Yet to find ‘that bag’ that will comply with Spirit’s rules for a wheeled, underseat personal item of the spinner variety

Anybody have a brand/model they can refer? My go-tos of Delsey & Travel pro don’t appear to offer one that small

Dimensions must not exceed 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm) including handles and wheels. Spirit is not the airline I want to be challenged at the gate due to their fees

I have a wheeled laptop bag that also has a small-ish compartment for clothes (or whatever). It fits under the seat in front of me on SOME airlines. And not if I'm on an aisle--those underseat spaces are typically narrower. Where the supports are located for the seat in front of you, as well as underseat items such as the lifevest storage, definitely impacts how much room you have.

And while some airlines may 'look the other way' if you store 2 items in the overhead bin for one passenger, you are taking away a spot for someone who is following the rules of one piece above and one under the seat.
Most airlines don't have any such, "Rule," at all, they simply allow two pieces, and give dimensions, but the wording is very specific that it doesn't have to fit under the seat in front of you. The cabin crew tells you something different to try to get people to be nice and get everybody to fit, but it's right in your CoC that you and the airline agreed to when you bought the ticket, as well as their long form luggage policies. And this makes sense: not every seat on an aircraft has room underneath it, they cannot penalize you because there's an equipment box and you can't fit anything under the seat in front of you, or if you're in a bulkhead seat. Also, not every aircraft has the same amount of room underneath the seat, and what fits on one aircraft may not fit on another.

And you're not ,"Taking a spot away," on all newer Boeing aircraft (Dreamliner and later production of all models since the Dreamliner was introduced), there are far actually more spots for 21" rollaboard luggage in the overhead than there are physical seats on the plane, by 10-30% depending on the aircraft cabin configuration, except on the all-coach sardine configuration used by Spirit, Frontier, and Southwest.

I think this may have changed. I had 2 United flights this year and an American Airlines flight that did not allow carry-ons (without paying for them) only the free personal item under the seat. I believe they had levels of tickets and since I bought the cheapest one, carry on was not included.

I think this may have changed. I had 2 United flights this year and an American Airlines flight that did not allow carry-ons (without paying for them) only the free personal item under the seat. I believe they had levels of tickets and since I bought the cheapest one, carry on was not included.
All three of the legacies now offer Economy Basic fares without any add-ons at all, to compete with Spirit and Frontier. But at least AA pulls up this big warning about the luggage situation before you click buy on their website.

Dimensions must not exceed 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm) including handles and wheels. Spirit is not the airline I want to be challenged at the gate due to their fees
Are you sure you'd even want one that small? That's tight even for a rollaboard, let alone a spinner, I'd question how stable it would be and how much room you'd get inside of it. I go soft sided non-wheeled for my personal items precisely because I want to max out the space I have.

Are you sure you'd even want one that small? That's tight even for a rollaboard, let alone a spinner, I'd question how stable it would be and how much room you'd get inside of it. I go soft sided non-wheeled for my personal items precisely because I want to max out the space I have.

Back issues, otherwise i’d Load up my book bag. Usually can foist it off on the mr but he typically isn’t along on the spirit flights. With them it’s trips on a dime meeting other’s budgets, so it’s that one 40# checked bag (that I often will share on a short trip) and the personal item for me.

This is now AA's policy (it may have changed):
Customers flying Basic Economy are now allowed 1 free carry-on (in addition to a personal item) to all destinations.

United's policy for Basic Economy:
For Basic Economy tickets, you'll be allowed to bring on board one personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, such as a shoulder bag, purse, laptop bag or other small item that is 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm) or less. Mobility aids and other assistive devices are also permitted. You will not be allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member, a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member. If you're traveling on a Basic Economy ticket and bring a carry-on bag to the gate, your bag will need to be checked and you'll be required to pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge (payment by credit card only).

Delta allows two free carry-ons for their Basic Economy customers.

Thanks for bringing up this distinction. Airlines make a good deal of their profits from all of the ancillary fees charged - they lower the fares, then add the fees, which is the business model of the Ultra low-cost carriers.

Back issues, otherwise i’d Load up my book bag. Usually can foist it off on the mr but he typically isn’t along on the spirit flights. With them it’s trips on a dime meeting other’s budgets, so it’s that one 40# checked bag (that I often will share on a short trip) and the personal item for me.
Yeah, almost all of the correctly sized ones are rollaboards though simply for interior space reasons, unfortunately. There's a BoardingBlue hard sided model that does fit the criteria though, otherwise just lots of rollaboards.

You could look into a tiny spinner type luggage trolley though, and strap any old bag to it: not ideal but always a possibility, and of course for the times you do have a full sized spinner carry-on you could stack them leave a trolley at home and still use the same bag. I'm very much the, "Everything has a specific place," packer for my personal item, so I can get one weighing over 50 lbs pretty easily.

This is now AA's policy (it may have changed):

United's policy for Basic Economy:

Delta allows two free carry-ons for their Basic Economy customers.

Thanks for bringing up this distinction. Airlines make a good deal of their profits from all of the ancillary fees charged - they lower the fares, then add the fees, which is the business model of the Ultra low-cost carriers.
I just flew Delta this morning. I should mention while boarding basic passengers were being told no wheeled carried on bags permitted at that point in boarding. It was quite late. We were comfort class so ok even though late
So they may not always allow 2 carry on in all cases

I just flew Delta this morning. I should mention while boarding basic passengers were being told no wheeled carried on bags permitted at that point in boarding. It was quite late. We were comfort class so ok even though late
So they may not always allow 2 carry on in all cases
There may be a different policy on codeshare and partner (non-mainline) flights.
Our SkyTeam® and codeshare partners may have different guidelines and restrictions on certain flights, so be sure to check before you check in.
Did you fly Delta Connection today, such as a flight operated by Republic or Sky West, but marketed through Delta? Due to the limited overhead bin space on flights on the smaller planes operated by DL Connection carriers, I believe they might make Basic Economy passengers gate check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter