"Uncivilized" Guests at Shanghai Disneyland?

They have moved at a snail's pace adding things to the parks. How many net new attractions have they added in recent years? Much of what gets added is at the cost of losing other attractions.

Perhaps you missed some of the threads this spring about the cuts at WDW and DLR. Hours, staff and entertainment were all cut in the name of helping to offset cost overruns in Shanghai. This was all while attendance and profit were both up in the parks.

I don't know... it seems like there's always some sort of project going on at the US parks. I guess because I don't go very often, I must just be easy to please ;)

I don't know... it seems like there's always some sort of project going on at the US parks. I guess because I don't go very often, I must just be easy to please ;)

There is always something under construction at Disney. That's because it takes them so long to finish anything.

There is always something under construction at Disney. That's because it takes them so long to finish anything.

Personally that doesn't fit my definition of 'neglect'. Disney are still constantly working on and improving their domestic parks, even if it is at a slower pace than people would like. Neglecting them would just be doing the bare essentials on maintenance etc.

I think it's nice that Disney are sharing the love, making Disney magic more and more accessible to many people of diverse backgrounds who would otherwise never get to experience anything like it.

I fail to see what them being highly profitable has to do with their neglect of the US parks. They are fueling money overseas because that's where they think the next gold mine is. Right now it seems to be a money pit.

My point is that they have plenty of money. For both Shanghai and the U.S. parks. They're choosing to make cuts in U.S. parks to make shareholders happy.

To get back to the topic, do we have people here on the boards who live in China and also have visited other Chinese theme parks? How is in our eyes 'uncivilized' behaviour handled there? I can't imagine that in other parks littering is considered fine. Or do they take care of it with extra empoyees to keep the parks clean, so not educate, just treat the symptoms.

People sitting in / walking through the gardens does happen in Paris too, but mainly when it's an extremely busy summer's night and it's time for Disney Dreams. Some gardens are on a little hill, so sitting/standing there give you a better view.

I think they're talking about the people peeing on the buildings. I understand that it's considered culturally okay but I'm not sure why it's it's necessary when clean bathrooms are readily available.

To get back to the topic, do we have people here on the boards who live in China and also have visited other Chinese theme parks? How is in our eyes 'uncivilized' behaviour handled there? I can't imagine that in other parks littering is considered fine. Or do they take care of it with extra empoyees to keep the parks clean, so not educate, just treat the symptoms.

People sitting in / walking through the gardens does happen in Paris too, but mainly when it's an extremely busy summer's night and it's time for Disney Dreams. Some gardens are on a little hill, so sitting/standing there give you a better view.

From my understanding (second hand info from my coworker) some find it unacceptable but many still see no issue with it. The problem seems to be the 1st generation that are off the farm and have no clue what is considered ok and whst is not. She even said the government is wasting their time with the guide because nobody is going to read it. I'll have to ask her if that is how it is at other theme parks. I was kind of shocked when she said she wasn't shocked at all that it was trashed of course she did say it was disrespectful but not unheard of.

I'm not saying that Chinese people are more littering, dirtier or lesser cultivated than us in the West. But the general public are spoiled by having absolutely everything being taken care of for them by the government, both locally and on a national level. All public areas are either heavily and almost crazy well maintained and looked after, or the fines for the slightest overstep is horrendously high (prison is not uncommon at all).

It's not unusual at all to see people spitting, or leaving food items behind in a general city in China. And the vast majority of the people have never seen anything like Disney (IRL at least). And they are at the same time as being their "local rural" selves also unprepared and perhaps overwhelmed by the Theme Park experience.

It's not necessarily an ethnic Chinese trait. I can't imagine that being acceptable in Singapore. It's not so common in Taiwan or Hong Kong.

Now there is one city famous for being clean - Hangzhou. Legend has it that a foreign VIP was asked what he thought of the city, and he said it was "dirty". They took it as a challenge to make it the cleanest major city in China. I've been there on vacation, and it is very clean, although the air is typical for a large city in China.

It's not necessarily an ethnic Chinese trait. I can't imagine that being acceptable in Singapore. It's not so common in Taiwan or Hong Kong.

Now there is one city famous for being clean - Hangzhou. Legend has it that a foreign VIP was asked what he thought of the city, and he said it was "dirty". They took it as a challenge to make it the cleanest major city in China. I've been there on vacation, and it is very clean, although the air is typical for a large city in China.
That's great. And how do they enforce the public behavior? By strict laws fining for littering and such? Because that's not too uncommon either. :chat:

That's great. And how do they enforce the public behavior? By strict laws fining for littering and such? Because that's not too uncommon either. :chat:

Well - it's not as if there isn't littering, but for the most part it seems to be a sense of civic pride that there's very little relative to other major cities in China. I would say it's no worse than any large city in the US. However, the local government also has workers cleaning up up whatever trash there is, kind of like those photos of Shanghai Disneyland CMs going right after all the trash tossed on the ground.

I was there last week and witnessed all of this but it wasn't as bad as the article sounded. They did a good job of keeping it clean but after the fireworks it was really noticeable. There was trash everywhere - even rain ponchos that were no longer needed. The worst was when a mother had her kid pee right outside a ride where everyone could step in it. It made no sense because the bathrooms were very clean and I never had to wait. That being said, I'd definitely go back. Disney did a great job of spreading everything out so it never felt really crowded.

The line cutting was really frustrating. We went to HKDL before SDL and it was actually worse there. Probably because at SDL we formed a human wall and didn't let people by. lol At one point in HK some one cut the line then tried to bring 5 more people to join them. We decided we weren't taking it anymore and the people behind us agreed. We refused to let them by and the lady was pissed. She started screaming at us. I couldn't understand her but couldn't believe she was so angry because we wouldn't let her cut. She was still going off when we got on the ride. Crazy!

I used to live in China and I've visited a few parks. Both locally and DL in HK.

As one of the previous PP's said.. behavior is expected and adjusted to. People throw things in the street and in the parks, and there are people right there to pick them up. I didn't see a ton of this when we visited DL in HK.. mostly because that it is in Hong Kong, but we did see it. People still cut in line, especially at the Toy Story drop, but in a much lesser degree. In mainland China, you get used to this and generally anything with a line we tended to avoid. It was one of the hardest things that I had to adjust to.

It is my understanding Singapore is awhole another ballgame. They are very strict on what is expected and gum I think is illegal? I am very surprised they didn't build there since they have a strict code and its also where universal studios happens to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!