Ugh ~ can save $ now if I renew my seasonal pass but...

anewvance

<font color=red>Who needs a birthday for birthday
Usually you can get a discount on your pass if you renew before it expires... that's how it has been the past 7 years i've had the pass. Well this year, it expired on Jan 31st and I didn't have the extra money to renew not to mention then all the kids got sick, had a stint with my youngest in the hospital. Everyone gets better and wham, my car accident.

I've been so jonsing to go to The World. I've been sitting here layed up in bed because my knee is messed up and my foot is messed up. And all I want to do it be in Disney. But it's spring break time and packed and I know i'm not making it there this month or April, then in May we have our Ireland trip and then it's summer and our seasonal passes are blacked out. So I don't think we're getting back until Sept or so.

So to kick me while i'm down, what do I get in the mail yesterday? It's a passholders letter telling me if i renew by April 3rd, I'll save $28 on my seasonal pass. That means $199 with tax instead of $227 with tax. But I guess I won't be able to use it because we don't plan to go until Sept or so.

If I renewed now, it would mean the year period would start right now right? That wouldn't make since unless I was planning on going soon. UGH!

It SOUNDS like they are offering you a brand new pass with a new date, which wouldn't start the clock ticking until you activated it at the parks. Because if they were offering you the usual renewal, it would be backdated to Jan. 31st, and you would only be purchasing a 10-month pass, and I don't think Disney would send you the offer if that was the case. So I'm GUESSING that this would start on whatever date you activate it, but I would call up and check first. They're picky with those renewals, so check, hehe. Last year I ended up with a 9-month pass.

I received my FL Res AP (not seasonal) renewal in the mail today too! :sunny: We used to have the seasonal passes, but seemed to always want to go over the Xmas holidays so we upgraded to the FL Res AP without blackout dates. :thumbsup2

Sorry I can't remember the FL Res Seasonal renewal info :guilty: But our Fl Res AP's expire 4/23/06 and my renewal says: Keep in mind that your renewed Pass will expire one year from your Anniversary Date regardless of when you actually renew. so mine would expire 4/23/07 (or 4/22?), unlike the voucher I had when I first purchased the pass that activated upon the date I first used it.

I don't know if your seasonal pass is the same, but I understand what you mean about renewing then not being able to use the tickets and "losing" all that time - I guess "eating" the renewal savings and purchasing new tickets in September would work out better in your case?

We have $$$ taken out each week in an extra account through ING so when renewal time comes around we are set. If we do it this way, then we don't miss the money. :thumbsup2

The way that I have looked at my Disneyland annual passes is that the savings to renew are not always worth it to me. Lets see if I can explain my thinking.

For easy math lets assume that the price of my pass is $240.

I figure that means I am paying $20/month for the pass.

If I take the renewal discount my price is $216.

So I am paying $18/month for the pass.

So what if like the previous poster I am not planning to be at Disneyland for a few months? If I renewed at the renewal price isn't it costing me $18/month to have something I am not using?

So I let my pass lapse for a few months till I am at a time I am more likely to use it more frequently. Now I pay $240 instead of $216 a difference of $24 dollars. My expiration date is now further into the future. I have gained time and not wasted the $18/month on something that I wasn't using. To my rather strange way of thinking it would only take a 45 day lapse in pass time to break even using the above theory.

This year I let my passes lapse in January because I don't have any plans to go to Disneyland till summer. I get a five month break and avoid $90 ($18 x 5), based on the above prices, per pass. It helps us out to be renewing every 15 months or so.

Just a thought from a WackyWexler :Pinkbounc

wackywexler said:
The way that I have looked at my Disneyland annual passes is that the savings to renew are not always worth it to me. Lets see if I can explain my thinking.

For easy math lets assume that the price of my pass is $240.

I figure that means I am paying $20/month for the pass.

If I take the renewal discount my price is $216.

So I am paying $18/month for the pass.

So what if like the previous poster I am not planning to be at Disneyland for a few months? If I renewed at the renewal price isn't it costing me $18/month to have something I am not using?

So I let my pass lapse for a few months till I am at a time I am more likely to use it more frequently. Now I pay $240 instead of $216 a difference of $24 dollars. My expiration date is now further into the future. I have gained time and not wasted the $18/month on something that I wasn't using. To my rather strange way of thinking it would only take a 45 day lapse in pass time to break even using the above theory.

This year I let my passes lapse in January because I don't have any plans to go to Disneyland till summer. I get a five month break and avoid $90 ($18 x 5), based on the above prices, per pass. It helps us out to be renewing every 15 months or so.

Just a thought from a WackyWexler :Pinkbounc

Yeah, that makes perfect sense..

Is there a discount if I were to upgrade from my seasonal AP to a regular AP at renewal time?

Relax And Get Better. You'll Feel Lots Better By Sept. Your Knee Will Have Ample Of Time To Recover And Sept. Is A Great Time To Renew Your Passes. We Renew Our Passes In Sept. And I Love That Time Of Year, Because The Parks Are Not Crowded We Don't Have A Black Out Date Until Dec. By Then We Have Enjoyed All The Christmas Decorations And Miss The Holiday Crowds, Then Comes The Comfortable Wheather In Jan. Ans So On And So On. So Hang In Their Until Sept. You Will Not Be Saving Any Money If You Renew Your Passes Until You Can Really Enjoy Them.

Feel Better And Hang In Their Only A Couple Of More Months To Go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter