Trying to surprise my parents

Minnie Mouse2789

Earning My Ears
I’m trying to surprise my parents with a WDW vacation. My panic attacks made our last dream vacation to the Grand Floridian less than ideal. I’m doing a lot better now- so I want to go back and make better memories. I am not looking to go back to the Grand Floridian again- not because I wouldn’t love to- but because it’s not realistic. This feels crazy- at this point I’ll be lucky to sleep in the parking lot of Disney- but I have to pray hope dream that I can do it- and then take action. I was hoping- though I didn’t expect it to be the case- that we could stay at a resort on the Magic Kingdom monorail- with my special needs everything is most accessible. I’d love to- the Grand was awesome.But that’s just too expensive for me to afford by myself.
So- then we get into the moderate resorts. I like those locations better- but with hotel and park hoppers 2 rooms 4 adults and park hoppers is 6000 dollars.
Then we get into the value resorts- the most realistic option. I don’t prefer the location of Animal Kingdom- don’t you have a long bus ride to the monorail and then a ride on the monorail to get to the parks? It feels like you’d spend more time getting to parks than in parks- and it might be hard with a wheelchair . But I am determined- so value is the best option. But I looked it up - 4 adults- 2 rooms- 7 days and park hoppers- 5000 dollars.
The only way I can think of saving money without my parents knowing I’m doing it - being on a limited income myself- and who gets assistance from her parents is to put 10- 20 dollars aside every month. And of course there is going without new Kindle books and DVDs and couponing which I’m fine with- and will increase the family fund. But then my parents may find out about it- or not knowing what I have planned earmark the money I saved for another trip.
So the whole point to this whole saga- what has worked for you? What are some ideas - besides getting a job and working- would love to- not an option right now due to college and health- to make the money quicker?

(1) The value resorts have direct bus transportation to the parks. Each bus can hold up to 2 wheelchairs/ECVs. You don't have to take a monorail.
(2) I do not recommend surprising adults with a vacation. They have their own lives and their own plans and that may not mesh with the dates that you choose for them.
(3) I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't see how you can save thousands of dollars when you on a limited income and rely on your parents. Disney is a luxury, even at the Value resorts. It will take you 20 years to save up enough at $20 per month and by then a Disney vacation is sure to be at least twice as much. Sadly, I don't think you can afford it.

I'm sorry that your last trip was a bust. If you want to return to WDW I would suggest that you work with your parents to come up with a plan for a family vacation that they will (mostly) pay for. If you're doing better they should be happy to make happy memories with you if they can afford it.

Then we get into the value resorts- the most realistic option. I don’t prefer the location of Animal Kingdom- don’t you have a long bus ride to the monorail and then a ride on the monorail to get to the parks?
No. Not at all. In fact, Magic Kingdom is the most remote park from "everything" except the MK-area resorts.

robinb is right. $5,000 at $20 per month is going to take you 250 months, or over 20 years, to amass.

Thanks for the information! Good to know about the resorts! Oh - dates would be discussed if we ever get there- I just haven’t told them I’m saving yet.... I guess when we have enough for a vacation I will. I know you’re right- which is why - what are some things that have worked for people besides having a job- which I will get after college! I’ll actually be saving more than 10- 20 dollars a month- by not eating out- not making Kindle purchases etc couponing- so that can go in the Family Fund. I guess I’ll just have to wear dad down. Oh last time wasn’t a bust by a long stretch... I just.... I don’t know how to explain it... But I’ve been twice ... grateful! Not giving up- and would appreciate any ideas.

Maybe you should bring up to your parents you want to take them on this trip. Granted it would not be a surprise then, but just get them onboard. I'm assuming you want to do this just to be nice to your parents for everything they've done for you so far in life and tell them that. Then say how you don't think it is feasible in the near future. But maybe as a family you guys could pull together and find ways to save up the money together. If you are living at home, stuff like do more meal planning around what is on sale that week and save your families extra grocery money towards the trip. Stuff like forgoing buying each other gifts for various holidays throughout the year and using the money towards Disney.

I think if you brought up to your parents what you are willing to go without to do this trip (books, movies, eating out) they are going to appreciate that and may get on the bandwagon to change some of their spending habits if they would need to save money for the trip. If your parents are the type that said "Ok you want to go to Disney we'll go in a few months" and they just pay for it, then tell them you really want to help contribute to the trip and do your savings and treat them to some special meals.

Is a trip to WDW their dream trip destination or yours? What about saving for a trip for just the two of them? A cruise maybe, or Hawaii, etc.

There are grocery receipt apps (Ibotta, Fetch, Receipt Pal, Receipt Hog, etc), Swagbucks, etc that can help earn additional money but can be very time consuming and you'd be better off spending your free time with a part time job when you compare dollars to hours. Perhaps you can tutor kids? If you manage to save $200/month it will still take over 2 years to save $5,000. Your best option is probably to either find a more affordable trip somewhere else, or approach them about your desire to help fund a trip by cutting back on your extras/saving more money.

Thanks for the information! Good to know about the resorts! Oh - dates would be discussed if we ever get there- I just haven’t told them I’m saving yet.... I guess when we have enough for a vacation I will. I know you’re right- which is why - what are some things that have worked for people besides having a job- which I will get after college! I’ll actually be saving more than 10- 20 dollars a month- by not eating out- not making Kindle purchases etc couponing- so that can go in the Family Fund. I guess I’ll just have to wear dad down. Oh last time wasn’t a bust by a long stretch... I just.... I don’t know how to explain it... But I’ve been twice ... grateful! Not giving up- and would appreciate any ideas.

Hi! :wave:
Thanks for sharing your story. Wanting to take your parents on a surprise trip to Disney is awesome! However, with the numbers you've come up with, not being able to work, and what you're saving, it's going to be a VERY long time before you get there. :(
I'm a FL resident that gets amazing discounts on rooms and tickets. Both husband and I have two well paying jobs. We have one 11 year old son. I cannot and will not go to Disney unless it's funded by our income tax refund. And with that, we do not go often. Even with the refund, it's not a financially sound decision to do that. Since my son has been alive, we go every 4 years. Our next trip is this June. Our trip is only costing just under $1200. I can save that easily without a refund, but choose to just pull from our refund for immediate "savings".
Maybe talk to your parents and see how they feel about it. Let them fund it, and you help. Then if the trip happens, surprise them with a lovely dinner in one of the "finer" restaurants! :cool1:

Another poster mentioned, is this their dream trip or yours? Keep that in mind. :thumbsup2 Good luck no matter what you decide. Just try to stay realistic and keep in mind maybe Disney isn't where you're supposed to be till it's financially easier. :goodvibes

Is this the same trip you are asking about in the cruise forum? Are the prices you posted for both portions or just the land portion? I suspect, given the numbers, just the land - which means that the actual full amount would be quite a bit more (so the estimates of 5-20 to pay are significant underestimates).

Since it your parents provide you with "assistance" (not sure how much of your income comes through this), it kind of seems like they'd really be the ones paying for the trip regardless. I'd agree with others than talking with them about your plan would probably be a good idea.

I’m curious about why you need 2 rooms? Do you have a sibling going as well? My adult son shares a room with us when we vacation. Couldn’t you get one room for 4 of you? It sounds like you are pricing 2 rooms. Could you stay at one if the cabins?

I would take this goal as motivation to work hard on your degree and graduate on time.

I am sure to your parents, seeing you attain your degree would be as good as going to Disney.

Then with your after college job, you cold save $ for Disney.

Or once you get really close to graduation, talk to your parents about an after graduation trip to celebrate.

Wow! Thanks for the information! The 4th person is my care provider- I have CP and live alone with care aides. We’d like a trip where she went too.
I caved. I told my mom. We decided to start saving money together. Once we are close we will tell my dad- he’s not as enthusiastic. He’ll go if that’s what we really want- but he’s not as enthusiastic.
We want a redo. We’ve decided a couple things.
1- a Value resort is fine. Didn’t know about bus service. Is every bus wheelchair accessible?
2- My parents don’t want a cruise. They’d prefer WDW. Just personal preference as to what is most enjoyable- I’m sure the cruises are great.
3 - Sounds like we are going to try to save for a trip after graduation. Celebrate! Possibly at Christmas. I understand that’s a sight to see!

A few money saving tips:
Many will disagree, but I’d recommend staying off property when on a tight budget. We’ve had wonderful experiences with Airbnb and VRBO in the area. I really like the ChampionsGate area, and we have groceries and pack breakfast and lunches to the parks (we normally eat or breakfast while waiting for park to open). We stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo with full kitchen that was so pretty with a nice pool for around $150/night in June. It takes about 15 minutes to get to the parks, which is about how much time you’d spend waiting on the bus! Then, I’m assuming you have a handicap plaquard card? That should make Park parking a little easier. It is likely that renting off property, renting a van with a lift will be less expensive than staying on property and likely more comfortable. Further, I appreciated being able to drive right up to our condo, steps from the door, and not having to spend another 10-15 minutes getting from bus stop to hotel room. It’s also nice having a quiet ride home when we are exhausted and gross and not being packed in like sardines in the evenings. Downside is it’s a little harder to take a midday break; however, if you need to get out of the crowds midday and reset/decompress, you can always use Disney transport to take a midday lunch at one of the resorts. We enjoy exploring the other resorts, eating at the restaurants there in the middle of the day even when we are staying off property.

Lastly, the most challenging aspect to save money for is ticket pricing. You can find good deals on tickets through charity auctions. Disney gifts 501c3 organizations with 4 free single day tickets park hopper tickets each year for fundraising. May be worth checking your local charities and church auctions! I’ve done this twice and saved several hundred dollars. Otherwise, I’d recommend using UnderCoverTourist to buy tickets.

I can see why you need 2 rooms and I’m sure having your caregiver will make the whole trip enjoyable. I’m glad your mom is excited to plan the trip. You all will have a great time no matter what you decide. I’m sure you know from your last trip what you need to make it better this time.

All the busses can accommodate wheel chairs. They have a side door that lowers down to board. I think all the transportation looks very accommodating. I think there is a forum on here for people with disabilities with information that would help you plan. Have you looked there? I’m sure knowing what to expect would help reduce your anxiety.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

I'm glad you caved! Planning things with your mom will be more fun anyway. A graduation celebration sounds *perfect*. Avoid the last two weeks of December and first 2 weeks of January ... the parks are crazy busy!

A few money saving tips:
Many will disagree, but I’d recommend staying off property when on a tight budget. We’ve had wonderful experiences with Airbnb and VRBO in the area. I really like the ChampionsGate area, and we have groceries and pack breakfast and lunches to the parks (we normally eat or breakfast while waiting for park to open). We stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo with full kitchen that was so pretty with a nice pool for around $150/night in June. It takes about 15 minutes to get to the parks, which is about how much time you’d spend waiting on the bus! Then, I’m assuming you have a handicap plaquard card? That should make Park parking a little easier. It is likely that renting off property, renting a van with a lift will be less expensive than staying on property and likely more comfortable. Further, I appreciated being able to drive right up to our condo, steps from the door, and not having to spend another 10-15 minutes getting from bus stop to hotel room. It’s also nice having a quiet ride home when we are exhausted and gross and not being packed in like sardines in the evenings. Downside is it’s a little harder to take a midday break; however, if you need to get out of the crowds midday and reset/decompress, you can always use Disney transport to take a midday lunch at one of the resorts. We enjoy exploring the other resorts, eating at the restaurants there in the middle of the day even when we are staying off property.

Lastly, the most challenging aspect to save money for is ticket pricing. You can find good deals on tickets through charity auctions. Disney gifts 501c3 organizations with 4 free single day tickets park hopper tickets each year for fundraising. May be worth checking your local charities and church auctions! I’ve done this twice and saved several hundred dollars. Otherwise, I’d recommend using UnderCoverTourist to buy tickets.

Most of the time, I would agree with you--I love staying offsite. But if the OP needs to fly down, and needs wheelchair accommodations, she's going to do better on-site. (If she drives and already has an accessible van, this may be less true).

Stay on-site this way you can get around easily...

If your dad isn't about going... you could do just a girls trip with your mom...

When planning, make sure that you don't over plan... and you aren't running around like crazy.. give yourself some space, and down time to relax... and enjoy all the little things...so that you don't overwhelm yourself...

I think by you including them in the planning this will take some stress off you...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter