tRYING TO MAKE A FELT POODLE SKIRT, WISH ME LUCK!

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
Throwing a sock hop for DD's sweet 16, and she tells me yesterday that she is now hoping to wear the skirt over the capri look! O.K., seeing as how she's the birthday girl, I say fine, shove all the school projects off the dining room table to a card table, and am ready to start with the pattern. While I ccan use a sewing machine ( basics) does anyone have any pointer for me? I bought extra material for goof ups, and bought the non-roll elastic for the waist...but seriously, if anyone has any time savers or hints for me I would love it! I can putter around woth sewing but a seamstress I am not! Also, any pointers for adhearing the "poodle"? We have a fat Bichon Frise and DD wants to cut a felt dog like him, not so much poodel, and since it is a sock hop I cut some felt black records out and music notes to also put on. I am guessing I am better off sewing these on, but if anyone knows of a great fabric glue that doesn't show thru felt...please let me know!

Thanks,

Pam

FINFAN said:
Throwing a sock hop for DD's sweet 16, and she tells me yesterday that she is now hoping to wear the skirt over the capri look! O.K., seeing as how she's the birthday girl, I say fine, shove all the school projects off the dining room table to a card table, and am ready to start with the pattern. While I ccan use a sewing machine ( basics) does anyone have any pointer for me? I bought extra material for goof ups, and bought the non-roll elastic for the waist...but seriously, if anyone has any time savers or hints for me I would love it! I can putter around woth sewing but a seamstress I am not! Also, any pointers for adhearing the "poodle"? We have a fat Bichon Frise and DD wants to cut a felt dog like him, not so much poodel, and since it is a sock hop I cut some felt black records out and music notes to also put on. I am guessing I am better off sewing these on, but if anyone knows of a great fabric glue that doesn't show thru felt...please let me know!

Thanks,

Pam

HI!

I made about 20 skirts last March for my DD's sock hop school, well I made hers then she told everybody and so on.

What do you need to know?

I sew the poddle, but you can use hot glue as well.

I used the hot glue for the leash also.

The elastic is easier than zipper, for a size 12/14 you'll need about 4 yards of the wide felt.

I made DD a poodle skirt (well actually it was a "kitty" skirt.) several years ago.
I made a regular waistband, my pattern called for a zipper, which I did not do.
I made one end of the waistband really long, and used velcro to fasten it shut. So, basically, I stitched the seam up to the bottom where the zipper would have started. I just pressed on the seam lines, but essentially it was a large opening. And, with the velcro, my DD would have to wear at least shorts under skirt, but she could have worn snowpants underneath for trick-or-treating too.

I used a fusible interfacing to attach the kitty to the skirt. And then, I stitched around the outside of the kitty. (yes, I am paranoid about that kind of stuff)

The pattern that I used had several different options for the decorations, the kitty was one, there was some with records/notes, bowling pins/ a phone/curly cord/phone receiver for ideas. IMHO, more is not better. The poodle skirt should have a fun theme, but only 1 theme.

I made DD a jacket for her skirt, also out of felt, and on the back of the jacket, there was a full sized kitty on the back, then I used silver cording for the collar, and did some "loopy" things from the back to the front, and then I had a tiny kitty on the front of the jacket, which was connected by the cilver cording to the back kitty.

The one thing I wish I would have done on the skirt was - I would have had my DD try the skirt on, and then figure out where I wanted the big kitty on the front of the skirt. With as big as the poodle skirts are, and the fabric kind of drapes a little bit, her kitty ended up being not as "on-top" of the folds as I would have liked. But - that is something I am the only one who would have noticed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!