*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

I started at 44k on my 2012 with 22k on the clock. I got it down to 42k before we got into trade, etc. I am happy with my purchase and love the DRW. Over the summer I scored a cheap good running 2001 Focus 5 speed. I use that now to run to and fro work and errands. I take the truck out at least once a week for a good 30-60 mile one way shot when we are heading far out of town.

FWIW, there was conversation on the RS forums about Ford having 0% 84 month deal right now. Not sure what vehicles it applied to, but the Focus RS is very rare specialty vehicle and people were getting it on the RS.

I wouldn't put too much into an offer/deal unless you are there in person and they can see your truck. They will low ball sight unseen. Sounds like you already learned the power of walking out on them. Patience will pay, but sometimes it's hard when you find what you want.

I was fortunate on my current truck. I was still a Ford contingency driver when I bought it. The racer program gave you very good x-plan pricing. My truck stickered for $60,400. I had worked it down to $52,000 and then said I was a Ford sponsored driver and gave them the x-plan number. I expected to save another $1000, at most. It came back $46,470.

j

I was fortunate on my current truck. I was still a Ford contingency driver when I bought it. The racer program gave you very good x-plan pricing. My truck stickered for $60,400. I had worked it down to $52,000 and then said I was a Ford sponsored driver and gave them the x-plan number. I expected to save another $1000, at most. It came back $46,470.
Hmm.... That's interesting. I also qualify for x-plan pricing but I got the impression that it really wasn't going to give me a whole lot. In the past I mentioned the x-plan pricing and they told me with that option, I loose all other discounts and can only get the x-plan pricing. What you are saying seems contrary to that. May be worth another look.

Hmm.... That's interesting. I also qualify for x-plan pricing but I got the impression that it really wasn't going to give me a whole lot. In the past I mentioned the x-plan pricing and they told me with that option, I loose all other discounts and can only get the x-plan pricing. What you are saying seems contrary to that. May be worth another look.
There are lots of x-plans. It depends on the details. Even company issued or employee plans vary quite a bit. Some do pretty well, others aren't any better than you could do on your own. It also depends on the vehicle and how much margin there is. Trucks have a lot of profit. At least $10,000 on the top F350s. Compact cars, not nearly as much. There used to be a site you could plug in the VIN and your x-plan number and it would tell you how much you'd pay, but couldn't find it the last time I bought. I'm not even going to try on my RS. I have a deal for MSRP, which is better than the $5000-$7500 ADM some dealers are trying to get.

j

@peg110

If you buy new factor in a full extended warranty coverage for the at least the life of the loan. The new diesels are nice. They have tons of power. However, if you get a an out of warranty bill while making a payment, will always be what it is, an aggravation experience. With that said, the new Ford Super Dutys are nice. The second gen 6.7s are making good power plus have a few other updates over the 1st gen. I eyeballed the one model they had on display at Hershey in September. I told my wife if she wants the 5er I want the new truck. She asked if the current truck could do it I said yes but I didn't spec a light 5er in the future at the time when we bought the current ride. Don't take me the wrong way but if someone were to offer me a new Ford SD with a 6.7 who am I to say no LOL

2016 F350 crew - AKA "Jolly green giant "- 6.7 D - stock. pulling '35 8Klbs. Have been over the pass and back like a hot knife through butter. Have a few 6% local grades, wow its amazing to turn a corner then hammer it up the hill. Coming from 3/4 6.0 burb.. to 6.7 its night and day diff. A lot easier drive.

Welcome to the club. I had a 7.3, 6.0 in the race hauler, a 6.4 and now this 6.7. This is, by far, the best stock diesel I've owned.

j

Recently tossed around the idea of trading in on a new dually. Prices are insane, but I knew that already. Leaning towards keeping her. Oh yea, I finally added a toolbox. I debated getting a fuelbox but decided not to mess with it. And wired new mirrors, so that's something.

IMG_0044-XL.jpg

I still haven't gotten a new truck yet. Still waiting on a full time job offer. But recently I missed out on a 2014 Dodge 1500 with the Ecodiesel. I'm not happy with it having def on there but the fuel mileage is insane for a truck and it more than will tow my camper. Unless I find a better deal on something else that's the truck I'm looking for now.

I still haven't gotten a new truck yet. Still waiting on a full time job offer. But recently I missed out on a 2014 Dodge 1500 with the Ecodiesel. I'm not happy with it having def on there but the fuel mileage is insane for a truck and it more than will tow my camper. Unless I find a better deal on something else that's the truck I'm looking for now.

Seriously would not worry about the DEF. It uses so little and ends up being about $16 each oil change which is about how long the 5 gallons lasts for. If you tow, then yes, a little more, but not that bad or expensive.

One of the reviews I read mentioned something about def consumption was about a gallon per 1000 miles. Does that sound about right ?

One of the reviews I read mentioned something about def consumption was about a gallon per 1000 miles. Does that sound about right ?
That sounds about right. I'm with Tiggerdad. I use about a tank per oil change. I think my tank is around 5 gallons. It does seem to vary by season and how you are driving. And whether your DEF injector is working right. :D Mine completely failed last summer. Threw CEL codes and the truck was only at about half power. $800 later, I had a new injector, full power and back to normal DEF usage. I had 96,000 miles on mine. It would have been covered under the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, except the truck was 5 1/2 years old.

j

Umm... I feel weird posting here to ask this... lol. Kind of on a whim this week, I bought/ordered a 2017 Winnebago trailer. Then a couple days later, ended up buying a 2005 Ford F150.

I'm (31/F) still figuring out some things - luckily I have a few weeks to do so! The trailer won't be here for six to eight weeks.

Anyone out there maybe willing to answer some likely silly questions about the truck and trailer and towing? :)

Right now, the highest priority is I'm trying to figure out if I have a brake controller or if I need one.

Umm... I feel weird posting here to ask this... lol. Kind of on a whim this week, I bought/ordered a 2017 Winnebago trailer. Then a couple days later, ended up buying a 2005 Ford F150.

I'm (31/F) still figuring out some things - luckily I have a few weeks to do so! The trailer won't be here for six to eight weeks.

Anyone out there maybe willing to answer some likely silly questions about the truck and trailer and towing? :)

Right now, the highest priority is I'm trying to figure out if I have a brake controller or if I need one.

Well, some of us would be more likely to answer silly questions than others. No reason to feel weird. This is where we post things like this.
If you have a brake controller it would be mounted on the drivers side, under the dash in reach of the driver. Black box usually about 4 inches by 8 inches long.

Tabby,

Weird posts are usually the best. Tell us more about what you bought. What model of Winny? That will let us know what other fun things you may want besides a brake controller. For example, if it's a bigger trailer, you will probably want/need a weight distribution hitch and sway control. These make towing a trailer much nicer. And for bigger trailers, safer.

Are you brand new to RVing or have you been doing this for awhile and decided to make the plunge for a truck and trailer?

As for a brake controller, Ford has been putting integrated brake controllers in their trucks with the tow package for a while. I know my 2008 F250 and my current F350 have them. If you have one from the factory, it will look like this:
2010_f150_8.JPG

It's just to the right of the steering column, above where your knee would hit the dash. If you don't have one, the dealer where you bought your trailer can install one. A decent brake controller is about $100 or so plus installation, but you will find some as cheap as $35 online.

j

First question. Did you spec out your truck prior to purchase? Things like Tow package. Transmission Cooler. Gearing all make a difference in your towing experience. With the case of the 2005 F150, you should have the 5.4 V8 and 3.73s for the rear end gearing at the least. On top of that. It would be wise to make sure your vehicle came with a tow package. Usual clues would be the gearing, the hitch (2 inch receiver) with at least the 7 pin RV style plug. AS for the brake controller, this could have been a factory option like @Teamubr stated below. If not, you should be able to find an aftermarket unit for around $100. AS stated below, you can find cheaper but you get what you pay for. YOu want a trailer brake controller that will work and be responsive when you are braking your trailer.

If you are completely unsure of what is going on with the truck, take the vehicle to a local trailer place. A good and reputable trailer supply will have the brake controller, harnesses that may be required, and anything additional that may be required for your towing needs.

This is only the tip of the ice berg...

Tabby,

Weird posts are usually the best. Tell us more about what you bought. What model of Winny? That will let us know what other fun things you may want besides a brake controller. For example, if it's a bigger trailer, you will probably want/need a weight distribution hitch and sway control. These make towing a trailer much nicer. And for bigger trailers, safer.

Are you brand new to RVing or have you been doing this for awhile and decided to make the plunge for a truck and trailer?

As for a brake controller, Ford has been putting integrated brake controllers in their trucks with the tow package for a while. I know my 2008 F250 and my current F350 have them. If you have one from the factory, it will look like this:

It's just to the right of the steering column, above where your knee would hit the dash. If you don't have one, the dealer where you bought your trailer can install one. A decent brake controller is about $100 or so plus installation, but you will find some as cheap as $35 online.
j

Excellent point. A WDH is a strong possibility for an F150 1/2 ton. Unless this trailer is super light and under 4000 pounds, a WDH is going to be needed. Going back to the B control. I think Ford made that standard on the super duties in 2005. I think it is still an option in the F150s to this day. Then again, I have't speced out a F150 in a while. It may be part of the towing package. However, Teconsha (sp?) has been a solid choice for a controller. I had one in my 99 F150 and in my 05 Explorer. It definitely did the job with any trailer I towed with. The company vehicles at work have the same brand except the boss's rides got the upgrade models, Primus IQ. The 99 F150 I had needed the factory pig tail harness to make work.

Oh we like silly around here

The brake controller will look similar to what Teamubr posted though it can be located just above the right knee as in his picture or it may be located just below the radio depending on the options.

Check the rear of the truck near the receiver hitch and look for the hook-up for the lights. Is it a round (7 pin) or is it flat (4 pin)?

To be honest, when pulling something like a camper I recommend a weight distribution hitch no matter the truck. The decision here will be which one as they come in different weight tolerances so knowing your campers weight is very important and will be posted on the camper. Sometimes on the driver's side near front, sometimes on the entry door, but usually just knowing the model will get you a good idea with a simple search.

I'm almost certain unless it was added her truck will not have a brake controller. The good news is it is easy to add. The wiring harness is probably there and she will have to buy a controller and have it installed. Hopefully she already has the 7 way plug and it's fully wired with power for the brakes. I have a 2004 and used a Weight Distribution Hitch with my Keystone Bullet bumper pull. Tabbytrekker have you ever towed a camper ? Do you know how to use the trailer brake properly when going down hills and such to keep from loosing control of the trailer ? If not you're gonna need some training. You'll have to learn everything quickly to have a safe experience. Other than that I love going camping.

Hi all! :)

Oh you all are so great!! Thank you so much for the replies!

Sorry, I've just been getting a lot of flack from a friend, because he knows I am not a car girl at all, so he thinks I'm completely over my head with just the truck. But I have until December to learn about my truck and my trailer and how to tow them. December is when I'm doing a solo camping trip at Disney World. :D

Originally I planned to just tent camp. (I have a full-hook up site reserved). But... I would browse trailer sites occasionally, not seriously considering them. Just something fun to look at. Then a week ago, driving back from a short day trip to Shipshawana with my mom, I was browsing trailers on my phone... and turned out the city I live near was having their Travel and RV Show. So my mom and I stopped by on a whim. I got to see the trailer I really liked online in person. It was just perfect for what I need, and so I ended talking to a sales guy! Financing came though on Tuesday, so it was ordered either Tuesday or Wednesday - should be ready in six to eight weeks.

It's a 2017 Winnebago Winnie Drop 170K. One reason I got that one was because it's pretty light, around 2800 lbs. So my 2002 Ford Escape should be able to pull it. (The Escape does have a tow package) But since I absolutely love my Ford Escape, I didn't want to put too much strain on it.

That turned into looking at Ford trucks. I was originally just planning on just looking at trucks for now. I did a search online. Created a spreadsheet comparing different ones available. So I took the afternoon off on Thursday to just go out and look at them - knowing I had no major rush to buy one until I found the perfect one, especially since my Escape should be able to pull the trailer. It turned out the perfect truck was the second one I looked at. :) So my bank account really hurts at the moment! haha.

Now that I've had a couple of days to get to know the truck, I can give you better specifics on it!

The truck is a 2005 Ford F150 FX4 with the 5.4L V8 Triton engine. 90,000 miles. Great shape. Four-wheel drive. 18 inch wheels. Does have a tow package; so it has the plug for the trailer, and a hitch. It also has at least the radiator cooler thing. After searching the truck, it doesn't look like it has a brake controller; but there are two small holes where you all told me the brake controller should be, so I'm guessing it used to have a not-installed by Ford brake controller, but probably when the owner traded it in to the dealership, they took it out. The truck also has this weird thing installed... Evolution by Edge Products. I read the manual last night, and it looks like its for being able to program the truck? Unless I learn a lot more about it, and cars, I highly doubt I'm ever going to even try to program the truck! I don't want to break it!

What other questions did you ask...

As I said, I was originally planning on tent camping at Disney... so I am new to RVing. :) As a kid (only child), my parents had pop-up campers we used during vacations... so I know some things associated with those. I also have a saint of a mother willing to teach me more this spring and summer before letting me go down Florida on my own. I'm excited to learn!

So I REALLY appreciate any advice or tips or knowledge you can bestow on me!

But back to the brake controller... I showed my mom a YouTube video about installing a brake controller, and so she is positive she can do it (and possibly show me). But what makes a good brake controller? A quick search on Amazon, and the prices range from about $40 to $125. Anything specific I should be looking for?

Thank you again for at least not laughing me off the site! :)

Last edited:
2800#!?

Okay, forget what I said about weight distribution as this will not be needing it in the case of the truck you have bought. You are actually going to have a much easier time on the learning curve with this camper. It is similar to the R-Pod which is what my neighbors have, and interestingly enough, are in the process of trying to sell. I have pulled their camper for them before with my dad's 2003 GMC 1500 and it had no trouble pulling or stopping and they actually back and maneuver very easily.

They pulled it the last 2 years with a 2005 Expedition, again, with no difficulty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter