Trip without Genie+ ?

Would you do a week long trip to WDW without ever purchasing Genie+?

• Yes, absolutely.

Votes: 73 59.8%
  • No, No way.

Votes: 49 40.2%

• Total voters
All due respect, we feel just the opposite, most of the time. We never spent hours each day 'buried' in the phone - didn't happen. A few minutes here and there to modify or schedule a new LL worked great. No stressing over it either - we worked with what was available. And we feel we did actually save several hours each day - hours we didn't spend in line that we would have without the LL those days. So our experiences were not what you're trying to describe. Biggest issue, of course, is the extra cost - not nominal. That's why we use it some days and skip it others.

I’ve had the same experience. Standing in standby lines was more likely to bring the phones out. The G+ part is actually pretty chill… generally bring phones out after tapping into something, but the stress level is pretty low. Can only add one attraction initially; can only add each once before you’re ineligible.

Maxing FP+ took a lot because you could reride the same thing if FPs were still available, so lots of refreshing for drops. You were fighting for 3 slots well in advance, so you had to preplan which day you’d be at each park far less flexibly than the current park pass reservation system. G+ is absolutely chill in comparison in terms of “phones out” and the refresh Olympics.

All due respect, we feel just the opposite, most of the time. We never spent hours each day 'buried' in the phone - didn't happen. A few minutes here and there to modify or schedule a new LL worked great. No stressing over it either - we worked with what was available. And we feel we did actually save several hours each day - hours we didn't spend in line that we would have without the LL those days. So our experiences were not what you're trying to describe. Biggest issue, of course, is the extra cost - not nominal. That's why we use it some days and skip it others.
We've seen some mix of the two.

WDW during slower times/low G+ is a bit different form higher crowds/higher G+ usage. I've also seen some pretty big changes between original G+ and current G+.

It is not essential to modify G+ passes, or spend a long period of time on MDE, but refreshing can sometimes be very beneficial.

On some trips, I got great return passes with little effort, other times it took minimal effort. When WDW G+ demand is very high though, it takes a more refreshing to find decent G+.

The graduated pricing ends up = users pay more for a less-good product in some ways.

To some degree, refreshing is a way to pass the time while waiting in a boring queue, so then I don't mind it, but I still much prefer Universal's Express Pass. With Express Pass, there is no vying at all. We just ride what we want to ride, when we want to ride it.

I agree that peak times Genie+ was crazy (Dec 28-Jan 3). Even a fast loading ride like TSMM and AlienSS booked 6-7 hours away. At MK things are better but still JotLM booked 4 hours away when standby was 30 mins.

Unless I am going during the slowest times of the year we are booking Genie+ and paying for ILL attractions. While expensive, so is a WDW vacation. Of course, you could get it all done without G+ but you will likely be there open to close with no breaks. I would rather be able to relax between attractions or enjoy other activities. Only you can do the cost benefit analysis for your situation. Genie+ will continue to increase in price and WDW is testing the tolerance level of prices.

Unless I am going during the slowest times of the year we are booking Genie+ and paying for ILL attractions. While expensive, so is a WDW vacation. Of course, you could get it all done without G+ but you will likely be there open to close with no breaks. I would rather be able to relax between attractions or enjoy other activities. Only you can do the cost benefit analysis for your situation. Genie+ will continue to increase in price and WDW is testing the tolerance level of prices.
They’ve already announced they’re looking at pre booking options like FP+ for next year. So they’re probably trying to test how much to charge for 3-4 Genie+ LL prebooked (with FP+ you could only book 1 tier 1 ride; pretty sure the package will be starting at 65+ (currently with park hopping you can book 2 $15 LLIA and $35 Genie+); would probably be over a $100 like Paris Disneyland’s premier pass (€90-190)

https://www.thewholeworldisaplayground.com/disneyland-paris-premier-access-fast-pass/#:~:text=If%20you're%20planning%20to,very%20valuable%20on%20these%20rides.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2023/05/08/big-genie-changes-being-planned-for-disney-world/
3BAC4877-CD12-4A47-ABD9-7929FA30EBCF.jpeg

Last edited:
We just got back from a trip and bought Genie+ every day. Although I hated paying for it, the only line we really waited in was the virtual queue for Tron, which was still worth it. Learned a few tricks, and was even able to get Frozen and Remy after a morning in DHS with just a little refreshing. As much as I was anxious about the changes, I definitely loved using it and not waiting in lines. Luckily we had the flexibility to pay for it.

They’ve already announced they’re looking at pre booking options like FP+ for next year. So they’re probably trying to test how much to charge for 3-4 Genie+ LL prebooked (with FP+ you could only book 1 tier 1 ride; pretty sure the package will be starting at 65+ (currently with park hopping you can book 2 $15 LLIA and $35 Genie+); would probably be over a $100 like Paris Disneyland’s premier pass (€90-190)
Why in the world charge 50% less than what they charge in Paris for the same service? My guess is they will go more the way that USO is going with a higher price for more flexibility for the Express Pass. Disney will continue to press for more and more dollars. They will allow more pre booking but it is going to cost a minimum of $100 per person per day. I think folks should be careful what they wish for.

I would definitely do it, especially if using early entry. Go in the morning, come back to the resort during the day, and go back at night and get in line for a headliner 5 minutes before park close.

Why in the world charge 50% less than what they charge in Paris for the same service? My guess is they will go more the way that USO is going with a higher price for more flexibility for the Express Pass. Disney will continue to press for more and more dollars. They will allow more pre booking but it is going to cost a minimum of $100 per person per day. I think folks should be careful what they wish for.
Currently we’re paying around $65 for booking 3 LLs (2 LLI$ and first Genie+) so I was making the point that if it’s pre booking and flexible it will most likely be over $100 minimum (except maybe days where Genie+ is $15). You said the same thing.

They have 4 parks at WDW and pricing is different than DL (one park).

We did MK yesterday without Genie+. We got there a 7:45 for a 8:30 easily opening and did Peter Pan, Pooh, Big Thunder, Haunted, Pirates and TTA with virtually no waiting in line. At 10:30 we could have gotten a Tron Virtual Queue at 1pm of a ILL for 12:45. We had lunch at Art Smith so had to leave at noon. We heard a family on Pirates who had used an Early Genie Plus bit could not get a second until 11:50. That jives with what we found last time in that to get the full benefit of Genie+ you have to be on the parks all day.

We did MK yesterday without Genie+. We got there a 7:45 for a 8:30 easily opening and did Peter Pan, Pooh, Big Thunder, Haunted, Pirates and TTA with virtually no waiting in line. At 10:30 we could have gotten a Tron Virtual Queue at 1pm of a ILL for 12:45. We had lunch at Art Smith so had to leave at noon. We heard a family on Pirates who had used an Early Genie Plus bit could not get a second until 11:50. That jives with what we found last time in that to get the full benefit of Genie+ you have to be on the parks all day.
What time do you start from your hotel to make it by 7:45 am? Some of the vloggers said you need to start 1.5-2 hrs before early entry to get there by 7:45 using Disney buses (resort guests are allowed in early on a day when parks open at 9 am and early entry is 8:30 am).

CMs start letting resort guests in 45 mins-1 hour before 8:30 am (park opens to non resort guests at 9 am) and then hold them at various points in the park.

Kyle is probably at a hotel that has the early entry benefit but isn’t a Disney resort

https://blogmickey.com/2022/03/new-hotel-added-to-early-entry-perk-at-disney-world/

Last edited:
What time do you start from your hotel to make it by 7:45 am? Some of the vloggers said you need to start 1.5-2 hrs before early entry to get there by 7:45 using Disney buses (resort guests are allowed in early on a day when parks open at 9 am and early entry is 8:30 am).

CMs start letting resort guests in 45 mins-1 hour before 8:30 am (park opens to non resort guests at 9 am) and then hold them at various points in the park.

Kyle is probably at a hotel that has the early entry benefit but isn’t a Disney resort

https://blogmickey.com/2022/03/new-hotel-added-to-early-entry-perk-at-disney-world/
We didnt take the bus but we drove from ASMu in February. It was super busy when we went. We left the hotel at 7:15 and parked at the TTC and took the ferry over. It took us about an hour total to get to the holding point and we were right next to Cosmic Rays. We did Peter Pan but waited about 20 minutes because it was crowded. Got off just in time to wait near HM for the next rope drop and made it to BTM right in front of the regular rope drop guests. Totally worth the early morning.

Anyhow if I was taking the bus at a super busy time I'd take the first one.

I’ve had the same experience. Standing in standby lines was more likely to bring the phones out. The G+ part is actually pretty chill… generally bring phones out after tapping into something, but the stress level is pretty low. Can only add one attraction initially; can only add each once before you’re ineligible.

Maxing FP+ took a lot because you could reride the same thing if FPs were still available, so lots of refreshing for drops. You were fighting for 3 slots well in advance, so you had to preplan which day you’d be at each park far less flexibly than the current park pass reservation system. G+ is absolutely chill in comparison in terms of “phones out” and the refresh Olympics.
I agree. With only standby lines, I'm constantly checking the app to see if popular rides have a dip in wait times. With Genie+, I'm more likely to just look around and find something nearby to do.

Genie+ is most valuable in the evenings. You get one or two rides for the morning, but eventually all the times start piling up and you walk from LL to LL around dinner time.

Genie+ is most valuable in the evenings. You get one or two rides for the morning, but eventually all the times start piling up and you walk from LL to LL around dinner time.
Which is great if you are like us, we like to go early do a few rides and then go back to the resort or DIsney Springs until late afternoon/early evening. Stacking is so easy! When we go back we just hop from ride to ride

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter