Trip Report - The Emerald Isle 2009 - Part 3

redzinner

Me Wants the Medianoche!
Sunday 05/24/2009 Day 2 of Tour

Life on the Liffey

Today was dedicated to a whirlwind tour of Dublin sites. In the Lobby at 9 to board our coach and meet our Dublin local guide, Georgina.

Dublinia Heritage Center, Christchurch Cathedral and Dublin Castle crammed into the morning.
The heritage center was a display of the progression of conquerers and inhabitants of Dublin, what each culture contributed and how they lived. A hands on place that children in the tour would really like I think.

Dublinia used to be the Synod Hall of the Church of Ireland so it has some imnpressive stained glass windows.

It was Sunday so we didn’t get into Christchurch because services were being held.

It was interesting hearing the nuances of Irish political history through the ages and the current Celtic Tiger era at the Dublin Castle. Since it was Sunday it wasn’t open to the public because the Castle now plays host to European Union Presidencies, Heads of State, and leaders of business, industry and government. We felt very privileged to be able to tour this site. We were the only ones there.

With the morning tours over we headed to the revered Guinness Storehouse. Before we went there though we had a special trip through Phoenix Park which is similar to Central Park in NYC. It was an absolutely gorgeous day and the Irish were out in full force enjoying the sun. It was wonderful to see families enjoying the day together.

On to the Guinness Storehouse.

Lunch was in a private room. They took our order for entrée (selection from 4 options; Irish Stew, a chicken dish, a fish dish and a vegetarian entrée) with the sides available on a cafeteria-type serving line.

After lunch we were given a whirlwind tour of the storehouse. Definitely not enough time to study the production of the stout. Really my only slightly negative comment about the trip. The guided tour was way to fast for me. I’m sure others found it adequate. Oh well, I have another reason to go back!

Bye Guinness it was indeed a pleasure!
Quite a few of us did the Optional Trinity Tour later that afternoon. Georgina, the local guide was still with us and discussed the College and Book of Kells at length. We could not take pictures of the Book or of the Long Room library. The Library was wonderful. I could have spent all day there.
2933351280074279726S425x425Q85.jpg

Okay we have had a long day but it wasn’t over! Dinner was on our own and the guides had arranged a Literary Pub Crawl for those of us who wanted to venture forth into the world of Beckett, Swift, Wilde and Joyce. It was great fun and we really enjoyed it. Two men recited snippets from Irish authors and told us about those authors’ lives. It doesn’t get dark in Dublin until about 10 pm this time of year so there was no hurry to get back to the hotel.

A very good day indeed!

Part Four

I love reading your trip reports!! We leave next week and thanks to you I'm getting even more excited!!! Can't wait for part 4.

Trip sounds wonderful! So many cool things to see & such history. And I'm sure the Guinness wasn't bad, either!!!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter