Trip Report: D23 (& All The Other People) & Me - D23 Expo 2019 & Disneyland

Like @OhioStateBuckeye suggested, we brought an empty suitcase in 2017. It literally was filled with just the free swag!

We’re bringing two empty suitcases this time. 😂

But I know that the some of the hotels have shipping with their business centers and, in the past, USPS has had a shipping booth at the Expo.

Extra suitcase?

If you are flying with southwest you get two checked bags. I usually end up packing an empty duffel on vacations for souvenirs.
Like @OhioStateBuckeye suggested, we brought an empty suitcase in 2017. It literally was filled with just the free swag!

We’re bringing two empty suitcases this time. 😂

But I know that the some of the hotels have shipping with their business centers and, in the past, USPS has had a shipping booth at the Expo.

No SW for me, United owns the port of Newark 😆 I have an awesome Away luggage set - a massive suitcase and the larger-sized carryon. I was thinking about bringing both, but to be honest, I'm SO nervous I'd forget one (totally unsubstantiated and irrational fear). In 2017 I bought a massive vinyl-ish (?) bag from the Parks, and just used that as a swag carryon. Maybe I'll look into the possible fees before deciding? If it's gonna be ridiculous to ship things, I'd rather tote an extra luggage piece (and just write in permanent marker on my hand not to forget it).

@kristenabelle Those pin progressions are 22-inches long! I should have been paying more attention.

I’d suggest the carry-on, at least you would not pay a mint on shipping. And a sharpie on the hand. 😉

And...you’ll also be tempted by more merchandise at the Expo. Ha!

@kristenabelle Those pin progressions are 22-inches long! I should have been paying more attention.

I’d suggest the carry-on, at least you would not pay a mint on shipping. And a sharpie on the hand. 😉

And...you’ll also be tempted by more merchandise at the Expo. Ha!

Aiiieee that's a big pin frame! Welp. Looks like the carryon and sharpie is exactly what I'll be doing 😆

• Around ~10 or so mid-flight, check Disneyland reservations for Oga/Savi's (not a must-do, as I can try another day at the end of my trip)
  • Shuttle to Hilton & check in
HI - re booking Oga’s Mid-flight, want to be sure you caught this change in bookings last week, Oga’s can now be booked up to 14 days in advance thru the Disneyland app or website. You can now get that done before you go :mickeyjum

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...in-star-wars-galaxys-edge-at-disneyland-park/

HI - re booking Oga’s Mid-flight, want to be sure you caught this change in bookings last week, Oga’s can now be booked up to 14 days in advance thru the Disneyland app or website. You can now get that done before you go :mickeyjum

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...in-star-wars-galaxys-edge-at-disneyland-park/

Yes, thank you for the reminder! I LOVE not having to worry about this mid-flight anymore. And hoping I can get a later reservation to enjoy the entire land at night

It's weird, I feel like the closer we get to Expo, the less information we're getting.

I know that's not true at all - tickets will start going out next week, and they've been making announcements for panels at least 1-2x/week. It's just so close, and I can't wait to fill in the gaps in my schedule!

For now, let's talk Fantasmic:

I had a package dinner at Blue Bayou scheduled for 7:30 PM on arrival day (technically HAVE, as I haven't canceled it...yet).

That said, the dinner clearly said 1st Show. I *really* didn't want to rush through this meal to have to make the 9 PM show - I love the atmosphere at Blue Bayou, and wouldn't want a late seating, delayed food, or anything else to make me anxious about getting a great spot for the show.

I'm pretty short, so I usually line up an hour before the show, even with reserved seating. It's not as bad as it seems, especially for Fantasmic - I'm usually front row in the BB section, and get to read & chill out before the show. I'd be nervous to line up any later, at the risk of getting stuck behind tall folks (and losing the whole package benefit).

I called Disneyland Dining, and the CM nicely but firmly said that I'd have no problem enjoying my meal and lining up for the 9 PM show. I hedged my bets, and asked to make a reservation for 2 PM, giving me reserved seating for the later show.

This opened another dilemma (okay, several): the park closes at 11 PM on 8.21, so seeing the later show gives you no time to sneak an extra attraction at the end of the day. It also means I'd have to find someplace in the crowded park to watch fireworks before heading over to Fantasmic (instead of sitting in the same spot post-Fantasmic). And finally, I'd be cutting it pretty close after landing, driving, checking in & walking over to Disneyland. I'd have to head straight to the restaurant, and wouldn't get to enjoy entering the park, snapping photos, and generally lazing about (my usual arrival day strategy).

So I finally booked what I think will be my final reservation - 4:40 PM dinner with reserved seating for the first show. Plenty of time to enjoy the meal, enjoy the park before and after the meal, and mosey over to the seating area whenever it's set up.

It's the anticipation, @kristenabelle! You feel like you've been waiting forever and that now it's soooo close.

More stuff will for sure be coming shortly. I'm also going to the Haunted Mansion 50th event and they literally just sent out snippets of information yesterday...the first night is in 8-days. Disney does it's own time-frame for everything. And the information was on PDFs that were labeled Thursday, June 23, 2011. Ha!

I feel like we should have more info too :(

I think we're just excited and planners. We are ready to figure out all the exciting stuff that is upcoming.

It's the anticipation, @kristenabelle! You feel like you've been waiting forever and that now it's soooo close.

More stuff will for sure be coming shortly. I'm also going to the Haunted Mansion 50th event and they literally just sent out snippets of information yesterday...the first night is in 8-days. Disney does it's own time-frame for everything. And the information was on PDFs that were labeled Thursday, June 23, 2011. Ha!

I feel like we should have more info too :(

I think we're just excited and planners. We are ready to figure out all the exciting stuff that is upcoming.

So true! Part of the fun is the planning and the excitement, for sure.

But today means it's officially the month of Expo! WOOT!

Also @lurkergirl have a fantastically spooky time at the HM party!

@kristenabelle and @OhioStateBuckeye Seriously, the panel announcements that are up, which make sense given the new registration angle coming up, made my head spin. Hee!

I want to do them ALL and I know that's impossible. Hee.

@kristenabelle The HM event looks fun, people are bad mouthing it because it just seems like a pricey shopping experience, but I'm excited. Spending a few days at the Resort is always fun, even as a local!

IIIIIIIIIIIIIt's ticket week, y'all!

Getting ready for that stomach-churning, anxiety-laced "Did UPS forget where I live again?" feeling.

Gonna keep reminding myself to channel Crush and just go with the flow. I'm having fun playing around with the new app, in the meantime - much better than last year's, I think. Looks like they're still filling in some stuff (can't find the Saturday night Aladdin music panel), but I like starring my favorites & getting notifications.

It's also great to see the show floor and start plotting the best routes. Looks like the MOG pin store is all the way in the back left corner. I'll need to be in and out of there by 9:50 (9:45, even better) to make the half-hour cutoff for Legends. I'll probably get in line by 5 AM, especially if they let us in the same time as overnighters. I have some good books to read, and some good TV shows to download, so 4 hours will fly by.

Also, 2 PM for overnight lines on Thursday? YEESH. I know people were unofficially "lining up" during the day anyway, but man.

I'm aiming for the bigger panels because I'd like to experience most of them for the first time. I've only ever been to the Parks panel, but it'll be cool to be part of the first-look crowd.

Here's the revised plan-ish:

Friday
9:00 Pin Store Sprint
9:30 If time, get Art of Costuming book for signing
10:30 Legends
2:30 We Love You 3000 - possible RDJ might be there? He's already in town! 😆
3:30 Disney+
5:30 Art of Costuming book signing - Kurtti and Cline (would love to make this - we'll see)

Saturday
9:00 Pin Store Sprint? I don't know if they'll have different things each day. If not, right to the Studios panel
10:00 Studios panel!
12:30 RUN to Haunted Mansion panel (along with a gaggle of sorcerers)
3:30 Disney on Broadway panel!
6:00 Possibly Travels with Marty?

Sunday
9:00 Final show floor rush
10:30 Parks panel!
STRUGGLE HERE - There's an Art of Costuming panel, a Power Up Your Brain event with Keegan Michael Key, and the 1:30 Cosplay shot for parks/princesses (which may just be one big group photo, I'll have to see what the previous days were like).
2:00 Star Wars Inspiring Women
4:15 Character Voices
6:45 Fond Farewell

Plenty of time on Friday for show floor walking/Emporium and partner shopping, and sleep on Friday/Saturday. My masochism may lead me to reserve Oga's cantina for Sunday night (open til midnight, unlike 11 PM the following days).

Last edited:
Life update!

Despite my crazy job and this crazy vacation, I (crazily) decided to audition for a production of Sweeney Todd going up later this fall. It's at a great community theatre near me (professional quality productions, which is awesome), so getting there post-commute wouldn't be a problem.

Didn't think anything would come of it, buuuuut ended up getting Mrs. Lovett 🙃 So now I have enough music to distract me pre-trip, and enough lines to learn while I'm in line!

That aside, can't wait for folks to start getting some amazing magic mail - I'll update when mine comes in!

Life update!

Despite my crazy job and this crazy vacation, I (crazily) decided to audition for a production of Sweeney Todd going up later this fall. It's at a great community theatre near me (professional quality productions, which is awesome), so getting there post-commute wouldn't be a problem.

Didn't think anything would come of it, buuuuut ended up getting Mrs. Lovett 🙃 So now I have enough music to distract me pre-trip, and enough lines to learn while I'm in line!

That aside, can't wait for folks to start getting some amazing magic mail - I'll update when mine comes in!
Congrats!

Is it wrong that I'm stalking the postal person @kristenabelle? Hee.

I believe in the past there have been different pins at MOG every day...but I could also be making that up. I'm not sure I've actually ever been in the MOG Pin Store at the Expo. But I seem to remember different pins on some vlogs I've watched.

Your schedule looks awesome!

Congrats!

Thank you so much!

Is it wrong that I'm stalking the postal person @kristenabelle? Hee.

I believe in the past there have been different pins at MOG every day...but I could also be making that up. I'm not sure I've actually ever been in the MOG Pin Store at the Expo. But I seem to remember different pins on some vlogs I've watched.

Your schedule looks awesome!

Nah, stalking is totally permissible in this situation. And different pins is probably right, wish I knew in advance what they were 😆

Nah, stalking is totally permissible in this situation. And different pins is probably right, wish I knew in advance what they were 😆

I'm sad to report that I did get an envelope today but it held no badges. The replacement FitBit band is just not as exciting. Hrumph!

You could try sweet talking the MOG people on Thursday and see if they talk.

I'm sad to report that I did get an envelope today but it held no badges. The replacement FitBit band is just not as exciting. Hrumph!

You could try sweet talking the MOG people on Thursday and see if they talk.

Today's another mail day - crossing fingers for us both! And great idea!

Gonna keep reminding myself to channel Crush and just go with the flow. I'm having fun playing around with the new app, in the meantime - much better than last year's, I think. Looks like they're still filling in some stuff (can't find the Saturday night Aladdin music panel), but I like starring my favorites & getting notifications.

Go with the floooooooooooooooooooow.

Dude.

Here's the revised plan-ish:

Friday
9:00 Pin Store Sprint
9:30 If time, get Art of Costuming book for signing
10:30 Legends
2:30 We Love You 3000 - possible RDJ might be there? He's already in town! 😆
3:30 Disney+
5:30 Art of Costuming book signing - Kurtti and Cline (would love to make this - we'll see)

Saturday
9:00 Pin Store Sprint? I don't know if they'll have different things each day. If not, right to the Studios panel
10:00 Studios panel!
12:30 RUN to Haunted Mansion panel (along with a gaggle of sorcerers)
3:30 Disney on Broadway panel!
6:00 Possibly Travels with Marty?

Sunday
9:00 Final show floor rush
10:30 Parks panel!
STRUGGLE HERE - There's an Art of Costuming panel, a Power Up Your Brain event with Keegan Michael Key, and the 1:30 Cosplay shot for parks/princesses (which may just be one big group photo, I'll have to see what the previous days were like).
2:00 Star Wars Inspiring Women
4:15 Character Voices
6:45 Fond Farewell

Plenty of time on Friday for show floor walking/Emporium and partner shopping, and sleep on Friday/Saturday. My masochism may lead me to reserve Oga's cantina for Sunday night (open til midnight, unlike 11 PM the following days).

So wait, you are a sorcerer, right? So you just say ahead of time what panels you want and you'll have a spot? That would help a lot.

I forget, did you say what you are cosplaying as?

Looks like we made some of the same choices!

Wow that's so awesome!! I always wished I could act. In high school I was in my friend's film and got voted worst actress :(

Congrats though!!

So wait, you are a sorcerer, right? So you just say ahead of time what panels you want and you'll have a spot? That would help a lot.

I forget, did you say what you are cosplaying as?

Looks like we made some of the same choices!

Wow that's so awesome!! I always wished I could act. In high school I was in my friend's film and got voted worst actress :(

Congrats though!!

Yup! That’s why I’m being way more ambitious than I usually am. We’re supposed to get a code sometime this week or next (separate from the badge) so we’ll see how it works? But for talentpass & storepass we’ve been encouraged to use the regular booking process on the 16th.

I’m mostly concerned with the run from Studios to Haunted Mansion, but a bunch of folks on a sorcerer Facebook group said they’d be doing the same thing. At least we’ll all get in or not!

And thank you so much!! :) also WOW. Not cool, high school people!

If it makes you feel better, sophomore year I was Cinderella and fell over while running (I actually tripped instead of stage tripped). It was the first dress rehearsal, so I forgot to wear my shorts. The entire pit band got a great view of my bunny rabbit underwear butt. That stuck with me for a year or two...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter