Trip planning for June

subtchr

DIS Veteran
Hi, all,

My family has been to WDW three times together ('97 Dixie Landings, '00 SOG, '03 Contemporary through SOG). We were one of those families who thought, "Oh, we'll just go once because the kids need to experience it." You all are nodding your heads right now, remembering that feeling -- and how quickly it goes away once you have spent some time immersed in the magic, and you know you'll go back again and again! Even my husband, who had to be talked into the first trip, is hooked enough to need a "fix" every three years or so. Well, it looks as if our three year dry spell is at an end! DH and I were talking last night, and he mentioned that he'd really like to go to Epcot again soon...so of course I was surfing the net last night anticipating a great trip in late June. Yes, I know it's hot, and pretty crowded, but we have one in college, another one graduating from hs, and an eighth grader, so we have to work around school, camp, and band schedules. And although I feel slightly traitorous about it, we plan about 4 days at WDW and 2 or 3 at (gasp) Universal. The oldest kids and I have been to those parks on marching band trips, and we would like to share them with dad and their sister.

The tentative plan is to drive down from Ohio, stopping near Macon the first night, then arriving at the World around noon the next day. We usually spend the first afternoon/evening resort hopping, swimming, etc., so as not to use a park day, but since we are only spending four days there, I think we'll add the day (we'll get MYW tickets w/PH from SOG) and get a half day of attractions as well as one of the evening shows (we could watch Illuminations every night -- awesome) that first night. Then we'll enjoy the next three days at the parks. With such a relatively short trip, we don't plan to get the extra options, since I don't think we'll want to take the time for water parks or Disney Quest.

We are eligible to stay at SOG, and we do like it there, so that is probably where we will end up. However, I love the other resorts and like to try new places, so I might wait a while to make reservations, hoping SOG fills and we can get an overflow rate at another WDW resort! I took a short trip with my mom and son a couple years ago, and we stayed at AKL for $109 that way; it was incredible. But with SOG being expanded, I imagine they don't fill up as often, so we may just end up stayiing there, which would be fine. We love being able to walk to the Poly for the monorail and to watch the fireworks from the beach.

After our days at WDW, we will head over to Universal (sorry for the sacrilege). We plan to stay at the Hard Rock -- they have a (relatively) decent military rate, our teens will love it, and at that time of year, the front of the line access for resort guests is a huge advantage. We can get park passes at SOG. We'll probably get the 2-day with the third day free, and use maybe half the third day before heading north toward home.

Any thoughts or input on our plan? I'm so excited, I have to get a countdown going! Happy New Year ~ Sue in Ohio

Hi Sue. I also work for the schools and we are leaving 6/18 at 9pm and arriving at WDW on the 21 staying at PopCentury for 11 days. :earboy2: Your plan sounds great. My dd 26 and dgd9 and ds11 are going to Universal Studios for a day. I and ds 8 will do something else (probably laundry :rotfl2: ). I plan and replan up to the last day before departure, it helps pass these long winter days. I find that the book "Dave Hunter's Along I-75" is a great travel book. It's part of the reason we take so long going down ( it takes us about 36 hours to get back). When are you going to be at WDW?

Hi, Midge,

Yes, my family laughs at me about the planning I do for Disney trips -- but they sure are glad when we get there! We're probably leaving home on 6/23, spending 6/24-27 at SOG, then 6/28-30 at Universal. We have about 18 hours total driving time, but we don't like to drive through the night, so we split it up into a day and a half. We don't want to be so tired we can't enjoy ourselves!

I would love to do a long trip like yours; we really enjoy all the little "extra" things you can do away from the parks. But this trip works out best with less time at the parks, and that's okay. We'll just do our favorites and anything new and just enjoy being together. We took our first cruise last summer and had so much fun with the kids, we decided those years together are getting shorter (boys are 19 & 17, daughter is 14), so we should do another fun vacation this summer.

Enjoy your trip; I know we will! Sue

We will be doing WDW in June this year as well. 6/21 through 6/28 at the BC. Booked all of our ADR's yesterday.

subtchr said:
The tentative plan is to drive down from Ohio, stopping near Macon the first night, then arriving at the World around noon the next day.

We are driving down from Michigan in June!

Have you stopped near Macon before? If so, how long of drive (hours) is it from there to Disney World the next day?

We will be doing the same thing!

I think we made it from Macon to WDW in about six and a half hours last time. Right now I'm working on the possibility of flying down -- wish me luck! LOL Sue

subtchr said:
I think we made it from Macon to WDW in about six and a half hours last time. Right now I'm working on the possibility of flying down -- wish me luck! LOL Sue

Good luck!

I wish we could fly to, but with the 4 kids we figured it would be better driving. With the infant, I think it will be a lot easier getting around Disney with our van. Having to get the stroller on the buses while holding the baby and watching the other 3 boys sounds crazy! Maybe not if the bus isn't full, but if we were leaving a park and possibly having to stand with the whole family....not enough hands....err.....Bottom line we are driving!

For everyone going in June to Disney. Sounds great.
Will be there June 15-26.
Allegiant Air out of Toledo is very cheap and non-stop to Sanford Airport in Orlando. I don't think you can use magical express from Sanford though.

Round trip for 5 of us was under $1000.

Just an FYI.

We will be there last week of June with no crowds and mild temps. :rotfl2: I am a substitute teacher with 2 kids that I can't take out of school in order to beat the crowds. Oh well we will have a blast no matter what. We will be staying at Pop for 7 nights. And yes we are driving from Ohio too. I think I'm more excited than my boys :goodvibes

Also from Ohio, also going in June, 3-10. We are not driving this time, flying. (Which I hate!) It is an all girls' trip this time before my daughter starts her internship in DC. We can't wait!

I added a ticker and made some final reservations since I last wrote...more days at WDW!!

We are now flying (Airtran from Dayton), arriving at Shades of Green on 6/23, staying until 6/29, and spending two nights at Hard Rock, flying home on 7/1.

Now it's a waiting game -- but it's so fun to anticipate and plan!!

We are also going in June. We are driving from PA, the first time we have ever driven so far! We're leaving on the 19th (after dd's ballet recital) and arriving on the 20th. We're staying off-site at Terre Verde. Can't wait!

It must be the name!!! :rotfl2: I too am an avid planner. We are going in March 06 with a big group, so we decided to buy APs. Then what do we decide to do....plan a trip in June with just the grandkids. :teeth: We will be arriving on June 9 and haven't decided when we will leave yet. Also we will be staying at SoG. We have never been to Universal. How do you get the military rates? Is it only for active duty or are retired eligable?

Hi, Sue :)

I just asked the Universal reservations agent if there were military discounts, and she gave me the rate. My DH is retired also, so it's for anyone with a military ID. It is still more than we've ever paid for a hotel, but I think it will be worth it to have the atmosphere, convenience of being onsite, and especially the express pass access. We do not like to rent a car/van when we do Orlando trips. That is part of the appeal, the escape from the reality of figuring out directions, parking, getting into a hot car, etc., etc. We know sometimes it takes a while to get places, but we're on vacation! It's all time together, and we laugh that riding the monorail and buses is all part of the Disney experience. And I know from being at Universal that it's all close enough to walk. When I went with my son on a high school band trip a year ago, we walked back and forth between both parks and all over CityWalk several times. We're so excited!

I've been closely following the EMH/SoG threads the past week -- in case you hadn't heard, they first announced that as of Jan 1, SoG gets were no longer eligible for EMH. That was very upsetting, but I guess enough people wrote and emailed and called that it seems an agreement has been reached between SoG and Disney to allow SoG guests to retain that perk. Phew! We have never been when the EMH evening hours have been in place, and my teens were looking forward to that!

We're so excited -- it is going to be a long five months to wait!

Hi Sue

Thanks for the quick reply! I am one of the people who called, emailed and wrote to Sog about EE. Ever heard of overkill??? :rotfl: I don't like thrill rides and love WDW for the atomosphere, lights, and relaxation more than anything. I will also be the grandmother riding Peter Pan alone if I take a solo trip. ::yes:: But this year I am planning for 24 and some of the group like those stomach turning rides....so I am checking out Universal, but not really doing a great job of it. :sad1: My loyalties lie with WDW. BUT ...I am a softie for my kids and grandkids (two soon to be three!!!) :sunny:

We're driving down from Ohio also. We'll be at Pop on 6-20 to 27!!. We take 2 days to drive also. We usually try to stay the 1st night around Valdosta,GA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter