Trip Insurance

I buy an annual plan for 2 people and pay about $240 a year. Decided this was a better deal in long run than buying insurance for every cruise when we were sometimes doing more than one a year. Also keeping it in effect ensures our pre-existing medical conditions are covered. otherwise insurance has a to be bought usually within a short number of days from when the first cruise payments is made.
We've switched to an annual plan since retiring. We often travel more than once in a year (not recently, however). And we only really need the medical/evacuation coverage. We paid $460 for 2 of us for multiple trips for a year a couple of years ago.

************.com is another well-vetted site to compare travel insurance policies. Location of your trip, number of days, age of the insured parties all plays a part in the cost. If you have USAA as your insurance carrier for anything they also sell travel insurance at a discount through a third party.
Obviously a blocked site. There are a couple of big trip insurance comparison sites. It doesn't hurt to check out more than one when looking.

************.com is another well-vetted site to compare travel insurance policies. Location of your trip, number of days, age of the insured parties all plays a part in the cost. If you have USAA as your insurance carrier for anything they also sell travel insurance at a discount through a third party.
Location of the the trip doesn't usually play a part in the rates unless it is an extremely high risk area. You are right about USAA, the company they use has some good coverages you can also get it if you have their credit card. Just to check out my location statement the price did not change when I switched from the Caribbean destination to Iran which I would probably consider high risk.

Some credit cards include travel insurance. Whatever you get, make sure it covers evacuation. That can cost A LOT more than a missed cruise.

Some credit cards include travel insurance. Whatever you get, make sure it covers evacuation. That can cost A LOT more than a missed cruise.
Getting reimbursed for a missed cruise is not my most important reason to get travel insurance but as you mentioned medical evacuation and medical coverage is. It will cost you a pretty penny to get evacuated from somewhere like St Martin.

I didn’t mean to open a can of worms here. I thought with a few cruises done, people who had to buy insurance because of vaccination status could say what they paid.

My son has asthma and sometimes even regular colds have landed him in the ER. Because I wasn't worried about getting insurance to cover trip cancelation and really just wanted to be sure we would be covered if my son needed to be medically evacuated or needed medical treatment, we were able to get insurance for my husband, 4 year old son, and I for our 5 nights cruise out of San Diego for $36 total, which I thought was totally worth it.

I'll try this question again. The only insurance I'm asking about is insurance for having to cancel the trip because of a positive covid test at the terminal. I'm not concerned about getting evacuated or pre-existing conditions. Just want to know what those who were required by DCL to buy insurance because of not being vaccinated, paid.

I'll try this question again. The only insurance I'm asking about is insurance for having to cancel the trip because of a positive covid test at the terminal. I'm not concerned about getting evacuated or pre-existing conditions. Just want to know what those who were required by DCL to buy insurance because of not being vaccinated, paid.
The insurance DCL is requiring of passengers who aren't vaccinated isn't to cover the cost of the trip in case you can't board due to a positive COVID test at the port, although a trip insurance policy that doesn't exclude COVID will cover that. What they are requiring is trip insurance that covers medical costs and evacuation. From the Know Before You Go section on DCL's site:

Travel Insurance
For cruises departing from Florida through December 31, 2021, Guests 12 and older must provide proof at the cruise terminal of a valid travel insurance policy—showing the name of each of the covered Guest(s) and a description of the coverage in the policy—that has a minimum of $10,000 per person in medical expense coverage and $30,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation and no COVID-19 exclusions. Guests who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide proof of vaccination instead of travel insurance.

Last edited:
I’m specifically asking about insurance for Disney cruises including flights, ground transportation and hotel night before the cruise.
The only insurance I'm asking about is insurance for having to cancel the trip because of a positive covid test at the terminal. I'm not concerned about getting evacuated or pre-existing conditions. Just want to know what those who were required by DCL to buy insurance because of not being vaccinated, paid.

As PP points out - it's medical and evacuation coverage that DCL is requiring. DCL doesn't require insurance that covers your flights, ground transportation, pre/post-cruise stay, etc. - only that you are covered if someone becomes ill on the cruise and must be evacuated. (Note that any pre-cruise stay and ground transportation to port would likely be "used" and therefore not refundable if you are turned away due to a positive test at embarkation.) My understanding is DCL will provide a full refund if turned away due to a positive test at the embarkation; I do not know if they will do any partial reimbursement if someone is disembarked early - I haven't read any reports of that happening with DCL.

I suggest you 1) decide what you need/want for coverage and then 2) go to Google for "trip insurance comparison" websites. You put in the parameters and it will give you the costs which will be specific to your criteria. As you can see from replies, there can be broad differences in insurance pricing and most of that is due to what coverage(s) you choose as well as what out-of-pocket costs you expect. Two 30-something adults paying $2K for a cruise will pay a different premium than a family of 4 with costs of $6K or seniors age 60+ with costs of $4K. If you get a quote from DCL, just be aware it will only cover those parts of your vacation that are purchased directly from DCL.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter