Trick or Treat & Eat Some Sweets! Oct 2018 TR - LInk to new TR 5/17/19!

Venturing Off Disney Property

On Thursday, October 25, 2018 we ventured off Disney property to head to Sea World for the day. The park didn’t open until 10 am so once again we had a bit of a lazy morning. Mom and I were up and out the door a little after 8 am so we could head to the food court for breakfast. The sky was really cool that morning with the moon still hanging above the building across from us so I tried to get some pictures.

I also took some pictures of our view from the third floor.

For breakfast, I went with my old favorite, Mickey waffles!

I’m not a big fan of breakfast meats so I got a side of eggs instead of bacon or sausage.

John and Jocelyn meet us at our usual bench around 9 am and we headed outside to call an Uber. Within a few minutes, our car pulled up and we were on our way to Sea World. Our driver was a pleasant young lady and we were walking to the entrance of the park around 9:40 am. I don’t know how much the Uber cost because John and Jocelyn paid but I don’t think it was a whole lot. Sea World was only 10 miles from our resort when I mapped it out.

We waited outside the entrance for a bit and then once they let us in, we were held near the Manta coaster until 10 am. There were some pretty flamingos there to help us pass the time.

Once the park officially opened, Jocelyn and I headed into the line for the Manta. This coaster is one where you dangle below the tracks “flying” like Superman or I guess a Manta in this case. When you board the coaster you are seated normally but then the seats pull backwards until you end up facing the ground. We rode a similar coaster with Mom, John and Jocelyn at a different park a few summers ago and both Mom and John had hated that coaster so they decided to sit this one out. There was no line at all and before long we were flying along.

When I visited Sea World in 2015 I really enjoyed this coaster. This time I found it much rougher even though it was still pretty fun. I just think I’m starting to get a bit too old for the bigger coasters. Jocelyn really loved it though.

Next we headed to ride Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin. This is a trackless ride that takes you through the life of a Penguin. It starts off with a short film….

And then you choose whether you want a “mild” ride or a “wild” one. In 2015 I went with the mild version which did not have any spinning because I was worried about getting sick. But while we were riding back then, I watched the wild cars and it did not seem too bad at all. So this time we went with the wild version and I was right, it wasn’t bad. Our car rocked around a bit more and did do some spinning but it didn’t trigger even a tiny bit of motion sickness for me.

The ride is cute but pretty short and its whole purpose it to stagger the number of people who enter the penguin exhibit which is at the end of the ride. The penguin area is open air and it was freezing and stinky in there. We stayed just long enough to watch the penguins a bit and take some pictures.

By the time we finished up with the Penguins, it was about 15 minutes till the next Dolphin Days show. We headed there and ended up getting pretty decent seats towards the middle. They would have been perfect it if wasn’t for the pole.

And here’s my pictures from the show.

Overall, the show was pretty cute but it was a bit of a letdown for me at least compared to the show I saw in 2015. The 2015 version was much more theatrical with high divers and other acrobatics while the 2018 version was pretty much a show case of the dolphins doing tricks. Like I said, not a bad show, just very different from the version I had loved back in 2015.

Our next stop after Dolphin Days was the Kraken coaster. I got really sick riding this one in 2015 so I decided to sit out with Mom while John and Jocelyn rode. Mom had decided not to ride the coasters at Sea World because they were a bit much for her. We found a nice seat in the shade and people watched while we waited.

After they finished (they both liked the coaster), we were all getting hungry so we decided to check out the Jewel of the Sea Aquarium that was right there and then head to find something to eat.

The Jewel of the Sea Aquarium was very small, only one room and I think its main purpose was to draw people into the gift shop that you had to walk through to exit.

It’s kind of hard to tell in this next photo but there was actually a tank in the floor and you could walk over top of it while fish swam below.

After the aquarium we looked over the food options and ended up heading to The Spice Mill for lunch because the menu appealed to all of us. The restaurant was not crowded at all and we were able to get our food quickly. Three of us ended up getting the Sustainable Fish Sandwich which came with fries. I have no idea what the fourth member of our party got.

The Spice Mill was cafeteria style and of course I couldn’t resist the desserts as I slide my tray by. I grabbed some chocolate chip cookies too.

I wasn’t expecting much from the meal because the barbecue place Jim and I ate at in 2015 was kind of nasty. But I was pleasantly surprised by the fish sandwich, it was pretty good. It was also huge and filling and I ended up eating the fish and leaving a lot of the bun behind. The cookies were also good but I was only able to eat one because I was full from the fish sandwich. I tucked the other two into my bag to enjoy at a later time.

Up Next: Silly Sea Lions and Scary Sharks

Sorry about your loss. Condolences to you and your family.

The sea world day looks fun! Another place I’ve never been too.

Oh, this sounds like a lot of fun! I will definitely be doing it when we go. I was really disappointed that we will be missing the Easter Egg one by a few weeks so this is a great replacement.
I really want to do it, too!! Plus, I will need you to help me find the tricky ones since you've got "hunting" experience :)

When I was last at Sea World, the Kraken was the only coaster and they were building another one. My brother and I rode it like 4 times in a row with hardly any wait. I'd love to go back there again some time and try the others!

I think it was mainly to give my Mom peace of mind that she was OK. Not sure if you saw on Facebook, I'm going to post about it here next, but my Mom is no longer getting those morning texts. :sad1:
I'm so sorry - I can tell she meant a lot to you!

It is very special to have such fond memories you shared with your aunt! So sorry for your loss!

Andi and I went to SeaWorld in 2012 so it has been awhile, looks like a fun morning so far.

Rest in peace Wilda, you will be missed more than you could ever know.
I'm so sorry to hear about Wilda. What a wonderful collection of memories you must have of times with her. The pictures are so awesome, thank you for sharing them with us :hug:

we ventured off Disney property to head to Sea World for the day.
Nice! I haven't been to Sea World since... 1997! :scared1:

I just think I’m starting to get a bit too old for the bigger coasters.
You and me both. I think this every time I dare to ride Space Mountain. :laughing:

It’s kind of hard to tell in this next photo but there was actually a tank in the floor and you could walk over top of it while fish swam below.
How cool! :thumbsup2

First I am so sorry about your Aunt :hug: I think it's wonderful that you were so close to her, and have so many great memories that will help her live on xoxo.

including the Hidden Mickey (third picture) that John spotted.
I've never seen that one! I'm super bad at finding HM and keep meaning to bring my book with me but always forget :(

I think once again, Mom wins.
:laughing: Definitely

Liquid Nitro Chocolate-Almond Truffle with Warm Whiskey-Caramel.
Steve got this the last 2 years and I tried it, he loves it but for me it's ok. I enjoy watching them make it! Next time you have to try the beef strogganoff which is delicious.

The slushy wasn’t bad but I still prefer the lemon one. And on that note, I walked over to the regular drink kiosk and got me one of the lemon ones!
Agree! The passion one is alright but it doesn't beat my Grey Goose slushie.

We stopped into the Toy store in Germany to look at the Steiff.
My mom loves Steiff. She used to own a store and sold them there so she has tons, mostly bears. I love looking at them all in Germany!

That first shot is great!

I don’t know how much the Uber cost because John and Jocelyn paid but I don’t think it was a whole lot. Sea World was only 10 miles from our resort when I mapped it out.
We took a Lyft from SSR to Universal last Nov. and it cost $14 so I bet Uber is similar. It's super inexpensive!

Looked like a lovely day at SeaWorld! Sure sounds like there is quite a lot to see there for sure. Not sure if I'll ever venture over there, but it was fun to read about your adventure!

Sea World looks fun! When I was younger I always wanted to go there but never did end up going. I have kind of forgotten about it in recent years. We may have to check it out one of these days :-)

I don't know why I thought you had been more times than that? The Goofy coaster is over near the Little Mermaid ride in CA so I thought you might have noticed it.

I haven't done that ride either. Hmm... still, you'd think I'd notice a coaster!

Someday I might brave it but probably not. :rotfl:

:laughing: Okay.

True, last thing I want is to get into a confrontation with people at Disney!

No. The last thing you want is to be banned! :eek:

My guess would be that they allow guests staying at the Boardwalk to make reservations.

Ah! Could be?

The loved the burgers which is another reason I really want to go back and try one!

Good enough reason for me! :)

35- 40 minutes seems to be the norm now that they opened up the third track. Not a bad wait compared to the 80-90 minutes it used to be!

::yes::

I can usually handle Space OK, RNRC is the one that gets me the most. Heck, I can still ride them once, I just don't quite enjoy them like I used to. But I can imagine you being a lot more cautious thanks to your back. For me it's usually just a bit of a headache and slight nausea.

My neck too. Jerking it around causes me pain that can last for over a month.

Funny enough, even with 4 drinks I wasn't really feeling it. I think they were all small, spread out and I did eat in between.

Plus (I've heard... not much of a drinker, myself) that the drinks at Disney are pretty weak.

:lmao:

At least with the owls they are tiny and don't take up much room. Plus there is a limited amount of colors so eventually I will run out of ones to buy.

Uh, huh... "They have patchwork owls now in over 300 different combinations!!"

;)

Before I go on to the next update, I wanted to post briefly here about my Great Aunt who passed away last weekend.

I'm sorry for your loss, Ariana. Thank you for sharing with us. :hug:

we ventured off Disney property to head to Sea World for the day.

They allowed this?

The sky was really cool that morning with the moon still hanging above the building across from us so I tried to get some pictures.

Tried... it's harder than it looks, isn't it? You're so used to seeing photos like this:

...that you assume that's normal.

I like that! Looks like someone just drove up in their classic car and parked there. :)

I’m not a big fan of breakfast meats so I got a side of eggs instead of bacon or sausage.

Pass. The eggs there leave much to be desired.

I don’t know how much the Uber cost because John and Jocelyn paid but I don’t think it was a whole lot.

Probably between $10-20. I Googled and it said it's typically between $1-2/mile.

We waited outside the entrance for a bit and then once they let us in

Had to decide if you were worthy, huh?

When you board the coaster you are seated normally but then the seats pull backwards until you end up facing the ground.

That sounds awesome!

I just think I’m starting to get a bit too old for the bigger coasters.

<sigh>... yeah... I'm getting there.

And then you choose whether you want a “mild” ride or a “wild” one. In 2015 I went with the mild version which did not have any spinning because I was worried about getting sick. But while we were riding back then, I watched the wild cars and it did not seem too bad at all. So this time we went with the wild version and I was right, it wasn’t bad.

I'm a bit surprised that you tried it, with your possibility of not feeling well.

Our car rocked around a bit more and did do some spinning but it didn’t trigger even a tiny bit of motion sickness for me.

Good!!

The penguin area is open air and it was freezing and stinky in there.

And reality just set in, folks. :laughing:

Nice shot!

We headed there and ended up getting pretty decent seats towards the middle. They would have been perfect it if wasn’t for the pole.

Shoulda asked them to remove it.

:rolleyes:

And here’s my pictures from the show.

Nice shots. :)

Weird looking dolphin.

Overall, the show was pretty cute but it was a bit of a letdown for me at least compared to the show I saw in 2015. The 2015 version was much more theatrical with high divers and other acrobatics while the 2018 version was pretty much a show case of the dolphins doing tricks. Like I said, not a bad show, just very different from the version I had loved back in 2015.

Now that's interesting. I saw a dolphin show in Atlanta and I had the opposite reaction. It had been years since I'd seen one and I thought it was much better. Huh!

Our next stop after Dolphin Days was the Kraken coaster. I got really sick riding this one in 2015 so I decided to sit out with Mom while John and Jocelyn rode.

Definitely a good move, then.

we were all getting hungry so we decided to check out the Jewel of the Sea Aquarium that was right there and then head to find something to eat.

You went into an aquarium to eat???? Did you have a fishing rod with you? Or just a net?

The Jewel of the Sea Aquarium was very small, only one room and I think its main purpose was to draw people into the gift shop that you had to walk through to exit.

:sad2:

Cool!

Three of us ended up getting the Sustainable Fish Sandwich which came with fries. I have no idea what the fourth member of our party got.

Unsustainable Fish Sandwich.

The Spice Mill was cafeteria style and of course I couldn’t resist the desserts as I slide my tray by. I grabbed some chocolate chip cookies too.

:thumbsup2

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I know you spoke of your Great Aunt a lot on your TRs. :hug:

Really nice early morning photos of the resort! And sounds like a good morning at Sea World! Love the penguins!

Sorry about your loss. Condolences to you and your family.

The sea world day looks fun! Another place I’ve never been too.

Thank you.

Sea World was fun. I will say that I enjoyed it more in 2015 I think because everything was new to me then. It's definitely not a park I would go to yearly. Maybe once every five or so years would be fine.

I'm so sorry about your loss :hug:

Thank you.

I really want to do it, too!! Plus, I will need you to help me find the tricky ones since you've got "hunting" experience :)

When I was last at Sea World, the Kraken was the only coaster and they were building another one. My brother and I rode it like 4 times in a row with hardly any wait. I'd love to go back there again some time and try the others!

I am very excited to try out the Bee scavenger hunt. It will be a lot of fun as we drink around the world that afternoon. ::yes::

I am so sorry for your loss!

Thank you.

I'm so sorry - I can tell she meant a lot to you!

Thank you.

Sorry for your loss.

Thank you.

It is very special to have such fond memories you shared with your aunt! So sorry for your loss!

Thank you.

Andi and I went to SeaWorld in 2012 so it has been awhile, looks like a fun morning so far.

It was fun but definitely not Disney for me. I probably wouldn't have gone back again for a few more years but the rest of the gang wanted to go. I do want to see their Christmas stuff someday.

I'm so sorry to hear about Wilda. What a wonderful collection of memories you must have of times with her. The pictures are so awesome, thank you for sharing them with us

Thank you, I'm really glad we still have all those pictures from long ago Disney trips.

Nice! I haven't been to Sea World since... 1997!

Wow, that definitely was a while ago!

You and me both. I think this every time I dare to ride Space Mountain.

I do pretty OK on Space Mountain. It's RNRC that really gets to me. And I definitely can't ride TOT and RNRC back to back!

First I am so sorry about your Aunt :hug: I think it's wonderful that you were so close to her, and have so many great memories that will help her live on xoxo.

Thank you.

I've never seen that one! I'm super bad at finding HM and keep meaning to bring my book with me but always forget

I have the book too although I have a feeling there's a newer version now. I think we bought it back in 2014 so lots of new stuff since then!

Steve got this the last 2 years and I tried it, he loves it but for me it's ok. I enjoy watching them make it! Next time you have to try the beef strogganoff which is delicious.

I actually did have the Beef Strogganoff earlier that week and loved it! I almost got it a second time that night but decided there were a few other savory dishes I wanted to try and didn't want to fill up on one I'd already had.

Agree! The passion one is alright but it doesn't beat my Grey Goose slushie.

I might just be double fisting it in May! I want both the one from the France booth and the lemon one. I guess I'm going to start our trek around the world off right! :rotfl:

My mom loves Steiff. She used to own a store and sold them there so she has tons, mostly bears. I love looking at them all in Germany!

Oh, I bet she has some awesome ones. I started out with Boyds bears, she might have sold them at one time too, but when they were discontinued, my Mom started buying me a Steiff here and there. I have quite a few of the Disney Steiff.

We took a Lyft from SSR to Universal last Nov. and it cost $14 so I bet Uber is similar. It's super inexpensive!

I bet it was around that amount, it was a pretty short trip to Sea World.

Looked like a lovely day at SeaWorld! Sure sounds like there is quite a lot to see there for sure. Not sure if I'll ever venture over there, but it was fun to read about your adventure!

It was fun but definitely not a park I would want to go to every year. I do want to see their Christmas stuff someday.

Sea World looks fun! When I was younger I always wanted to go there but never did end up going. I have kind of forgotten about it in recent years. We may have to check it out one of these days :-)

It was fun for a change but I definitely didn't fall in love like I have with the Disney parks. We also used to go to the now closed Cleveland, OH Sea World a lot when I was a kid.

I haven't done that ride either. Hmm... still, you'd think I'd notice a coaster!

If I'm remembering correctly, it is tucked back in a corner so it is possible you never saw it. I have no idea how I spotted it or why we ever thought it was a good idea to ride it.

No. The last thing you want is to be banned!

OK, you got me there with that one. I think being banned would be my worst nightmare.

My neck too. Jerking it around causes me pain that can last for over a month.

Yikes, that doesn't sound like fun at all.

Plus (I've heard... not much of a drinker, myself) that the drinks at Disney are pretty weak.

Very true. I have found a few exceptions though. The Ice Cream Martini's in France left me reeling as did the drinks at Abracadabar on the Boardwalk.

h, huh... "They have patchwork owls now in over 300 different combinations!!"

Oh man, let's not even think of going there! :rotfl:

I'm sorry for your loss, Ariana. Thank you for sharing with us. :hug:

Thank you.

They allowed this?

We were sneaky and got away before anyone noticed. :upsidedow

Tried... it's harder than it looks, isn't it? You're so used to seeing photos like this:

I always think my photos are going to look 10 times better than they do. Which is expecting a lot from my little point and shoot.

I like that! Looks like someone just drove up in their classic car and parked there.

I read a story once where someone actually did that at ASMu. It was over at the Broadway section where the walkway between the buildings looks like an actual road. They thought it was a real road and drove right up to the front door of the building! :scared1::rotfl2:

Pass. The eggs there leave much to be desired.

I don't mind them but then again I have the palette of a 2 year old so don't take my word.

That sounds awesome!

It is a very fun coaster, we have a similar one here in Atlanta at Six Flags. I will say that if you ever ride that type, be very mindful of your neck. There is one part where you go through a reverse loop. In other words you start at the top of the loop and go head first down and then are on your back at the bottom. You pull some serious Gs during the loop and when we rode in October, my head snapped back hard onto the headrest.

I'm a bit surprised that you tried it, with your possibility of not feeling well.

I really didn't think it would be a problem after watching the "wild" cars when we were there in 2015. Plus I knew it was short so even if I did get a little nauseous it would be over quickly.

And reality just set in, folks.

Yep, it was definitely not anamatronic penguins in that area!

Nice shot!

Thanks!

Now that's interesting. I saw a dolphin show in Atlanta and I had the opposite reaction. It had been years since I'd seen one and I thought it was much better. Huh!

Well I was mainly comparing it to the previous Dolphin Show at Sea World. The recently changed the show there and I just enjoyed the 2015 version a lot more.

You went into an aquarium to eat???? Did you have a fishing rod with you? Or just a net?

:rotfl: Once again my awkward sentence structure comes back to haunt me. I guess what I should have said was that we were getting hungry but we didn't want to go in search of food without visiting the aquarium that was right there first.

268.jpg

:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter