Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you get chewed up by someone’s dog on wdw property you shouldn’t be allowed to sue Disney too? You mean to tell me that you wouldn’t sue them if you or yours got injured?

If there was some reason to suggest that Disney was reckless or negligent, probably. Such as them ignoring complaint of aggressive behavior from the same dog, or any other number of things. If there were nothing to suggest that Disney was reckless or negligent, then no. Just like I would sue Disney if a person were to randomly attack me on their property without any negligence or recklessness on their part, even though they invited allowed that person to be there. And before people complaint that you can't compare dogs to people, the legal analysis would be exactly the same in court.

Just to clarify, and for my own personal information, I contacted Lowes Royal Pacific hotel regarding their dog policy. Dogs CAN BE left unattended in the hotel room as long as they are crated. Whew! Thought I had been in violation all these years and wanted to make sure since I'll be there again in December.

We've done many vacations at universal and crate our dogs while we visit the parks. It's very easy to walk back to the hotel for a break and take the dogs out for a walk there.

If we were to take our dogs to Disney, it would not be as convenient to come back to the hotel for a break. If we did, I would drive to the parks and not rely on Disney transportation. Already had one hellish bus ride there and don't want a repeat. We've also found the driving from our hotel to the parks is quicker in the long run.

Just to clarify, and for my own personal information, I contacted Lowes Royal Pacific hotel regarding their dog policy. Dogs CAN BE left unattended in the hotel room as long as they are crated. Whew! Thought I had been in violation all these years and wanted to make sure since I'll be there again in December.

We've done many vacations at universal and crate our dogs while we visit the parks. It's very easy to walk back to the hotel for a break and take the dogs out for a walk there.

If we were to take our dogs to Disney, it would not be as convenient to come back to the hotel for a break. If we did, I would drive to the parks and not rely on Disney transportation. Already had one hellish bus ride there and don't want a repeat. We've also found the driving from our hotel to the parks is quicker in the long run.

Thanks for posting this, but I'm genuinely confused. When you go to their pet policies, it has a link the the waiver for guests, and it said dogs can't be left unattended? :confused3 I've haven't stayed there yet, so I don't know...at least a crate is helpful.

ETA: I haven't been to Universal yet but planning on a split trip in April, but from what I've read, it does seem more convenient in that sense.

Last edited:

I was curious as I'm booked at a trial resort and following the rollout in Disney, and as I am booked at the Royal Pacific in April, so I called Universal's central number and she said that she didn't really know the actual policy but that guests can leave pets unsupervised in their room as long as they are crated and don't disturb other guests. But since she didn't know the actual policy, she gave me the direct number to the on-site concierge at the Royal Pacific. The concierge told me that the form I attached below (linked on the Universal website) is the policy that guest traveling with dogs sign upon check in. She said that guests leaving dogs unsupervised in their rooms is just "one of those things" but that the guest "technically is in violation of the policy", however she said that they respect guests' privacy so security will only enter a guests room and put the dog in "time out" if it is disturbing other guests. The words I quoted were her words, the rest is paraphrased.

So take it with a grain of salt, it may be who you speak to, which at times has been my experience with Disney. In either case, it sounds like Universal has a good track record of keeping pet friendly and non-pet friendly fairly separate, so maybe there are fewer issues? My understanding and I don't know what poster said it, was that the Universal resorts were built with pet friendliness in mind, so maybe they can deal with issues easier if they arise. Like I said above, I agree with @2Kds2K9 that it seems more convenient to come back for breaks in Universal, since more appears to be in walking distance.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/files/Documents/LoewsPetAgreement.pdf

I was curious as I'm booked at a trial resort and following the rollout in Disney, and as I am booked at the Royal Pacific in April, so I called Universal's central number and she said that she didn't really know the actual policy but that guests can leave pets unsupervised in their room as long as they are crated and don't disturb other guests. But since she didn't know the actual policy, she gave me the direct number to the on-site concierge at the Royal Pacific. The concierge told me that the form I attached below (linked on the Universal website) is the policy that guest traveling with dogs sign upon check in. She said that guests leaving dogs unsupervised in their rooms is just "one of those things" but that the guest "technically is in violation of the policy", however she said that they respect guests' privacy so security will only enter a guests room and put the dog in "time out" if it is disturbing other guests. The words I quoted were her words, the rest is paraphrased.

So take it with a grain of salt, it may be who you speak to, which at times has been my experience with Disney. In either case, it sounds like Universal has a good track record of keeping pet friendly and non-pet friendly fairly separate, so maybe there are fewer issues? My understanding and I don't know what poster said it, was that the Universal resorts were built with pet friendliness in mind, so maybe they can deal with issues easier if they arise. Like I said above, I agree with @2Kds2K9 that it seems more convenient to come back for breaks in Universal, since more appears to be in walking distance.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/files/Documents/LoewsPetAgreement.pdf
Those rules look very similar to Disney's except the express ability to leave your dog(s) in the room and go into the theme parks. It's foolish to expect people to stay in the room with their dogs while on a theme park vacation. I'm sure that Universal knows that pets are left alone and Disney simply doesn't want to make scofflaws out of their guests who bring pets. I wonder if Universal will change their rules once the dog-friendly resorts take hold at Disney.

Can I just say...I know it's probably too little, too late for an apology but I am sorry for the name calling. Not that it's a good enough excuse but I came back from a family dinner last night and was told a family member died in a horrific work related accident (crushed between 2 work trucks) and all of this seemed so silly in comparison.

Also, I was thinking to myself last night "Why are these people fighting so hard about these resorts?" and I just realized literally 5 minutes ago that this is the DISNEY RESORTS forum. Duh. Of course the resorts are important to you guys. I honestly don't even know how I got here since I only read the camping forum and the trip reports. I didn't realize which forum I was on. LOL So I apologize again.

Those rules look very similar to Disney's except the express ability to leave your dog(s) in the room and go into the theme parks. It's foolish to expect people to stay in the room with their dogs while on a theme park vacation. I'm sure that Universal knows that pets are left alone and Disney simply doesn't want to make scofflaws out of their guests who bring pets. I wonder if Universal will change their rules once the dog-friendly resorts take hold at Disney.

Agree...and agree that it's tough to expect that most guests will stay with their pets on a theme park vacation, although I'm sure there are exceptions like local APs and multi-generational families. I'm not a policy or risk management expert, but maybe it's CYA on Universal's part, or maybe like I said they're betting at keeping things separate and also knowing their general layout (resorts/theme parks together), make it easier to manage? (That last part I don't really know first hand, I've just heard in generally Universal is great because you don't have to plan so much and it's really easy to get back to on-site hotels for a break). :confused3 Interesting question if Universal will change their rules...

My 8 year old as well. When I told him dogs were going to be at the YC, he got upset. Thankfully we were able to move to BC due to a helpful CM. Hopefully the dogs do indeed stay away from the BC and the common shared facilities.
Have you thought of AK Lodge? Even the bean counter who thought of this idea to make more money has got to realize one loose dog (no matter how remote the odds) who gets into the savannah could cause a small fortune in damages. I am expecting one hotel who will not allow anything but a service dog is AKL. And there is a huge difference between pets and service dogs. We have a dozen of so service dogs in the federal building where I work and they are trained to the extreme they are never on vacation, they don't get distracted they are there to work,

If the door locks are RFID transmitters and receivers then all they need is to track the bands going in and out. They probably have the capability of tracking when the door is opened and closed. And don't forget they have an old fashioned method - cameras in the hall. I've heard they can track the housekeepers so they know how long they spend in the room.
If the doors at WDW are anything like the doors at the federal building where I work they time and log every time they door is opened. It is a nice security feature that bothers no one, this was as well if you report a theft they can check the report and see who entered your room.

Can I just say...I know it's probably too little, too late for an apology but I am sorry for the name calling. Not that it's a good enough excuse but I came back from a family dinner last night and was told a family member died in a horrific work related accident (crushed between 2 work trucks) and all of this seemed so silly in comparison.

Also, I was thinking to myself last night "Why are these people fighting so hard about these resorts?" and I just realized literally 5 minutes ago that this is the DISNEY RESORTS forum. Duh. Of course the resorts are important to you guys. I honestly don't even know how I got here since I only read the camping forum and the trip reports. I didn't realize which forum I was on. LOL So I apologize again.
It takes a big person to apologize. I am so sorry for your loss {{hugs}}.

I'm really sorry to hear about your family member :( . TBH if this stuff had come up when I was in Vegas I doubt I would have commented on it. Landing less than 9 hrs after the shooting and then several days later overlooking from the Luxor the place where it happened..yeah. We weren't scared, etc just more aware of our surroundings but it does sorta put things in a different light when you're visiting the Las Vegas sign where 58 crosses are laid there and hundreds of people show up at a time to pay their respects, etc. I hear you sometimes things just happen that shift your thoughts. That is in part why I mentioned why sometimes ignoring the thread or unwatching the thread for a few weeks or months can give you a different prospective.

*As an aside even if you don't know how you got to this particular board you can still give your perspective based on your experience with camping and the dogs you've seen there :)

Would you be able to sue Disney if you are hit by a car in the resort parking lot and injured? Disney let the car on property and could foresee that a car could hit and injury a customer- so is Disney liable?
Actually not b/c “they let the car on property” but you certainly could sue b/c you got hurt on their property.

So sorry for you loss! Agree with other posters who have said it takes a big person to apologize. Kudos to you !

How I found this thread (and others discussing dogs) was to type "dogs" in the search box and I got many threads with discussions.

That’s kinda been my point all along in that who cares what the time frame is & if the dog is alone, if it’s quiet. And if it’s not, WDW has a policy for that. Perhaps WDW researched this with Universal & found the unattended policy was useless b/c there is no way to know if guests are violating the policy without invading privacy so instead WDW focuses it’s policy on something more enforceable-noise.

I am having a hard time with the fact I booked a room at YC only to find out after the fact that I am in Garden room and thats where the dog rooms are. I now can not rebook anything because its Thanksgiving week and there is nothing available at my AP rate. I am very disappointed in how this was handled. I was never notified and never given the option for a move. I only found out because when i called to see if i could extend a day the kind cast member warned me yesterday. I have no problem with this endeavor except for if you are severely allergic and they put this into play and cant accomadate you so early in this process i find this to be very inconvenient. I might have to cancel my trip.

Call and complain, multiple times, have already seen cases of people being moved without cost to them. THough in your case, thats pretty tough as, there may not be room, and its hard to give you an upgrade from the YC ...

I truly don't care either way about this (I'd actually lean toward no, your pet doesn't need to come on vacation with you), but some of the what-ifs floated by the anti-dog-in-room crowd are absolutely outlandish.

Packs of dozens of dogs blocking entrances or food courts
Dogs getting loose and attacking kids over chicken nuggets
Dogs getting loose and running into golf cart traffic
Having to share an elevator with a dog (maybe wait for the next one?)

It sounds like people are expecting a Planet of the Apes (Lord of the Fleas?) situation where dogs are rising up and becoming the dominant species at these resorts.

I truly don't care either way about this (I'd actually lean toward no, your pet doesn't need to come on vacation with you), but some of the what-ifs floated by the anti-dog-in-room crowd are absolutely outlandish.

Packs of dozens of dogs blocking entrances or food courts
Dogs getting loose and attacking kids over chicken nuggets
Dogs getting loose and running into golf cart traffic
Having to share an elevator with a dog (maybe wait for the next one?)

It sounds like people are expecting a Planet of the Apes (Lord of the Fleas?) situation where dogs are rising up and becoming the dominant species at these resorts.
:rotfl2:Lord of the Fleas! First one to skirt the only-dogs rule and bring a pot-bellied pig gets dibs on, obviously, playing the role of Piggy!

Thanks for posting this, but I'm genuinely confused. When you go to their pet policies, it has a link the the waiver for guests, and it said dogs can't be left unattended? :confused3 I've haven't stayed there yet, so I don't know...at least a crate is helpful.

ETA: I haven't been to Universal yet but planning on a split trip in April, but from what I've read, it does seem more convenient in that sense.

My guess is, based on other hotels, is that the policy is written like that so they can kick you out if your dog is annoying.

A) its never too late. B) I am very sorry for your loss, that is terrible, I wish you and your family all the comfort you can find at this moment.

And thanks for giving it some more thought and trying to understand the context / location of the discussion, I think that certainly helps understanding peoples reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter