Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister works in management at a hotel that is not pet friendly. She said they had the conversation about how they could increase revenue by allowing pets, but what ultimately stopped them was the idea that they would probably pay out more in guest recovery than they would make on the pets.

I have a feeling Disney thinks people will be placated by extra FP, so it won’t cost them anything for guest recovery. But they may be surprised if people start demanding discounts or comped nights instead.

I posted my thoughts in case people who have limited contact with dogs want to consider discussing it with their children if they're now booked at a trial resort.
And I think that's a good idea :)

Majority have focused on what dog owners need to do (which I already agree there is responsibility there) but you've given insight on how parents should also be focused on interactions with dogs and preparedness.

Since when does a toddler tend to run up to an adult or another child and potentially knock them off their feet, or try to lick their face or put muddy paw prints on them? Dog owners seem to think because they love their dogs everyone does and will love being jumped on by a dog, well I don’t I think it’s disgusting. As for toddlers I think most parents try to keep them away from strangers and certainly don’t encourage them going up to people they don’t know.
Even to make this comment flippantly is ridiculous when people feel so strongly about it.
This is just wrong.

That was a joke. Ugh. I have 4 children. Lighten up.

My sister works in management at a hotel that is not pet friendly. She said they had the conversation about how they could increase revenue by allowing pets, but what ultimately stopped them was the idea that they would probably pay out more in guest recovery than they would make on the pets.

I have a feeling Disney thinks people will be placated by extra FP, so it won’t cost them anything for guest recovery. But they may be surprised if people start demanding discounts or comped nights instead.
Well I know some people have reported that they were moved at no additional charge to another resort. But I do wonder if it will end up being like CBR where the gift cards were given out...only up until a certain date..and then it was a "well enough time has been given for notice" type thing. IDK really just thinking out loud.

Well I know some people have reported that they were moved at no additional charge to another resort. But I do wonder if it will end up being like CBR where the gift cards were given out...only up until a certain date..and then it was a "well enough time has been given for notice" type thing. IDK really just thinking out loud.

I was actually thinking about complaints during stays, as opposed to those complaining in advance. I would guess many people won’t complain unless something happens, like the long barking session, or dogs where they shouldn’t be. In that case, Disney may think a “ Sorry, have a FP” will be enough. But if a person has to deal with a barking dog for several hours because the guest went to KSC for the day and cannot get back in 30 minutes they may want a little more than that. I am not sure Disney has considered that as a potential outcome.

I was actually thinking about complaints during stays, as opposed to those complaining in advance. I would guess many people won’t complain unless something happens, like the long barking session, or dogs where they shouldn’t be. In that case, Disney may think a “ Sorry, have a FP” will be enough. But if a person has to deal with a barking dog for several hours because the guest went to KSC for the day and cannot get back in 30 minutes they may want a little more than that. I am not sure Disney has considered that as a potential outcome.
Ahh ok I get what you're meaning

Well well, over 20 trips to WDW over the years and 8 on property. I really like POFQ and now would only go back if they could assure me of no dogs in the vicinity. I don't like dogs, I don't like dog owners who think that everyone likes dogs and are keen to have them sniffing, yelping and barking. They should allocate rooms that are named as pet rooms and not place people like me anywhere near them. I have a severe allergy to cats and a mild one to dogs and as a result of being bitten on the face by a Pekenese when I was two years old I keep well away from any dog.

It is because it seems only at Disney will the dogs be left alone for up to 7 hours. Because only at Disney did they give 2 days notice. Because only at Disney are rules not enforced to the level that they are.

Many are not able to book at another hotel. Their vacation starts in a day, or week or month. Many have 5 members of their family, which means not all resorts can accommodate them.

at some points you are right and i agree how they layed it out. 2 days notice is not right. Also if i am correct and please correct me if i am wrong, that this is a trial period. like i stated; i do agree that Disney should have rolled this out next year (added in) but anouce this year that starting Jan 1, X resort will be pet friendly or during Jan 1 - April 1; a tail period for X resort will be pet friendly.. unless you are going with 5 full adults, most of the Disney hotels are 5 people, 4 adults 1 child/toddler. if you need more accommodation then 5, then you are looking at a 2 bed room suit.

i'm worried about being lunged at, jumped on and/or being bitten by a dog and I am not a child I am a senior citizen.

I am concerned about that too, and I do not want any of those things to happen to me or my child in WDW or in my neighborhood. I don't know if you saw my earlier post. I am no way minimizing that type of concern, and as I stated, in my opinion, a pet owner is ultimately responsible for the behavior of their pet, particularly in the instance of bites and aggressive behavior. We have a stay scheduled for one of the trial resorts, and I just plan to review dog safety in order to minimize our risk of any negative encounters, especially as I think WDW is just a unique environment in terms of stressors and such.

I do not think disney will shut the trial down early for just people voicing their opinion and I do think if revenue drops then they will possibly reverse or cancel the trial policy. Our VIP tour guide last week told us that Disney offered a type of express bus service earlier this year but cancelled it after four monthis as Disney was bleeding money and the program was not being utilized.
For those opposed to the pet-friendly program, there's the hope that Disney promotes it half as well as it advertised Express Transportation - in which case no one will know about it to actually use it and it'll be gone quick as a flash. Of course I'm being facetious - you can't really take half of zero. (I do miss the convenience of the Express service....)

I agree with the first part of the post, too. Having opened the door, Disney would have a very tough time of walking this back right away. They'd be trading one upset group of guests for another (as well as bad publicity for an "anti-dog" stance and plenty of swipes from competitors, many of whom already allow pets). If anything, they let the trial play out, maybe tweak the policy at the edges, count their dollars at the end, and decide what to do next after the debate dies down.

Assuming that guests staying at these resorts have to live with this (poorly implemented) policy for the foreseeable future, the concerning thing to me is the lack of clarity about the location of dog rooms vs. non-dog rooms (or if that distinction even exists in some cases). That would go a long way to helping guests plan and decide - but every time I pop into this thread I see people have received conflicting info on that. How frustrating. I might stay at a pet-friendly resort (my issue is more cleanliness of the rooms than anything) for a guaranteed "no-dog" room at a great price - but I've been burned on that one at other hotels (same as those non-smoking rooms).

Instead of allowing dogs in 4 different resorts, alongside regular guests, why not just convert one of them to an all dog-friendly resort all the time. This way it is confined to one resort and you have a choice whether or not to stay there. Or better yet, with all the property left, build a brand new dog-friendly resort with a doggie day-care on site for people who will be in the parks all day. Wouldn't this make more sense and make everyone happy ??
No, it wouldn't. It makes perfect sense that they converted one resort per level plus the cabins at FW.

If you were a Deluxe "snob" you wouldn't be happy having to stay at POR or AoA in order to have your dog with you. Conversely, if you were budget minded you wouldn't be happy having to pay more for POR the Yacht Club. POR is a middle ground but Deluxe fans don't like the outside corridors and Value fans see no reason to pay for beautiful grounds and a pool slide so both of those groups are unhappy. The FW cabins are expensive and inconvenient. I don't see where anyone would be happy there unless they love the FW community and love to commune with nature (before anyone gets offended, they are on my bucket list).

It really does make more sense to convert 4 resorts rather than try to figure out exactly what level of resort is best for dog owners.

Some of the posts I read about dog training got me thinking about whether children are taught proper etiquette in meeting strange dogs. It plays into some of my concerns. Let me be clear - I am in no way saying if a child (or adult) is bit by a dog in WDW or anywhere, it is either the child's fault or responsibility. It is decidedly not. I bring it up as another variable, since I think WDW is a lot of fun but it can stressful and/or tiring environment for people and dogs alike. And dogs can respond to cues in people's body language, scent, unpredictable behavior, etc.

Our last family dog was as loving and patient as the day was long, but BECAUSE of that temperament, I didn't want my kids to have a false sense of security about other dogs. I spent a lot of time teaching my kids about how to correctly and safely interact with unfamiliar dogs.

I've mentioned my kids' elementary school playground. Dogs were not allowed at pickup/drop off, but were there each and every day. And as you would see a variety of ability in managing dogs on the part of owners, you would also see lots of kids that did not know how to safely approach a dog. I was always surprised by that. I've seen posts from dog owners that have mentioned understandably not liking it when kids or ill-mannered dogs have encroached upon their pets. Anyway, I'm sure there will be lots of kids that don't know these strategies, or forget them because they're tired or over-excited, or just poorly behaved.

Maybe some will consider this one of those "sky is falling" posts, but I see mixed posts about "it's the trend, lots of hotels are pet friendly" to "you'll probably never see a dog", so since it's now allowed at the POR in January, I'm going to plan for seeing dogs, and I will review these things with my kid for my own risk management.

Yes, very true.

This is a great infographic that I've used with my own kids (even though we have always had a dog ourselves)

how-not-to-greet-a-dog.jpg

After listening to the Podcast and reading a lot of comments on the forums, I have heard the argument repeatedly that many other hotels are pet-friendly, and have no issues. However, those hotels don't have nearly community and forums that Disney has for folks to express their opinion. Did anyone ever consider that the majority of travelers do not like pet friendly hotels, and just have not had the platform to express that opinion? I just personally avoid those hotels, but have never complained, written the hotel management or even taken to social media to express my distaste for "pet-friendly" hotels. I figure, I don't own those hotels and no one would listen to just one customer. But, seeing the negative response this new policy has had, I realize, I'm actually in the majority. I can't tell you how many times I've heard from bloggers, podcasters and travel agencies, they are shocked at the backlash. Well, maybe we have been the silent majority in the past when it comes to what other hotels do, but Disney is a special place to all of us, and I think we are raising our voices a little more loudly because we don't want to see it go to the dogs!

How is the 30 minute rule to get back to your room going to work when your dog is at is at Port Orleans and you are at Extra magic hour at Magic kingdom till 1am trying to leave and your dog is barking at the resort. It will take you at least 1.5 hours to get back, Uber , cab, resort bus etc.... Answer this question
Seriously! How would the Resort even attempt to get in touch with the dog owner? Texting? Send another text, if no response after x amount of time?
Which dog owner is going to leave a special event they paid for like a dessert party, or a character meal?
To track back for an hour+ - at least! - to the Resort, only to find Fluffy peacefully asleep by then (or not)?
Rinse and repeat the next day?
Seems totally unrealistic!

Even the most well intentioned dog owner cannot truly comply with this policy.

Yes, very true.

This is a great infographic that I've used with my own kids (even though we have always had a dog ourselves)

how-not-to-greet-a-dog.jpg

That's great! I love the pictures, very helpful if they're too little to read! I don't know if you caught this part - I was really insistent on it because we had a dog with such a sweet and patient temperament. He was a 35lb collie-type mutt, who spent his time in the endless task of trying to herd us all in the same room. We were not always obedient. But because he was so patient, I wanted to make sure my kids knew not all dogs were like that - both for my kids' safety and the dog's comfort. Thanks for posting this! But again, I feel like kids are so excited, over-tired, etc., in WDW that there can definitely be the possibility of issues.

I'm worried about the strange dog running up to me.
This is the difference between a (legit) service dog and a pet.

Many dog owners are so accustom to their pets behavior they drop their guard. THEY know their dog (even a little ones) means no harm and will cause no harm but they don't always fully appreciate those people who don't know their dog or have issues with dogs. A service dog is well trained to do their job, a pet is not.

I would be all for this if I had faith in pet owners.

I'm not worried about running up to a strange dog. I'm not going to do that. I'm worried about the strange dog running up to me. (My kid is 22, if he is there, he will step out in front of me to take the hit.)

Yes, they should be leashed. But I'm sure we've all had dogs jump on us while the owner stands there and watches.
Then don't stand that close to a leashed dog! It's really not that hard.

Exactly this. If they decided to build a dog friendly resort I have no doubt we would be hearing from some in the anti-dog crowd that they want a new resort for themselves. I remember the excitement on here when they were building Art of Animation. Can you imagine the uproar from people if Disney decided to build a new resort that they can't stay at?

If they changed the rules and only allowed dogs to be unattended for up to 2 hours, put size and breed restrictions, made designated buildings/wings for dog owners only, etc people would still complain because if they squint they can see a dog a mile away behind a wall of bushes.

I remember reading on FB after alcohol was added to the dining plan from people who don't drink that Disney was going to be filled with drunk people. It's as if the mindset when it comes to new policies is "How does this negatively or positively impact ME and not people as a whole. And if it impacts me negatively even slightly then nobody else should be benefit from the change".

Yes, there will always be people who complain.
After listening to the Podcast and reading a lot of comments on the forums, I have heard the argument repeatedly that many other hotels are pet-friendly, and have no issues. However, those hotels don't have nearly community and forums that Disney has for folks to express their opinion. Did anyone ever consider that the majority of travelers do not like pet friendly hotels, and just have not had the platform to express that opinion? I just personally avoid those hotels, but have never complained, written the hotel management or even taken to social media to express my distaste for "pet-friendly" hotels. I figure, I don't own those hotels and no one would listen to just one customer. But, seeing the negative response this new policy has had, I realize, I'm actually in the majority. I can't tell you how many times I've heard from bloggers, podcasters and travel agencies, they are shocked at the backlash. Well, maybe we have been the silent majority in the past when it comes to what other hotels do, but Disney is a special place to all of us, and I think we are raising our voices a little more loudly because we don't want to see it go to the dogs!

I think this hits the nail right on the head.

Seriously! How would the Resort even attempt to get in touch with the dog owner? Texting? Send another text, if no response after x amount of time?
Which dog owner is going to leave a special event they paid for like a dessert party, or a character meal?
To track back for an hour+ - at least! - to the Resort, only to find Fluffy peacefully asleep by then (or not)?
Rinse and repeat the next day?
Seems totally unrealistic!

Even the most well intentioned dog owner cannot truly comply with this policy.

I agree - there's a lot of time constraints/considerations in a WDW vacation. I'll be interested to read in the "experiences" posts about the procedure when folks bringing their dogs check in - consistency in policy, description of rules/consequences, etc. I'm guessing they can't go straight to the room - I've never done that kind of check-in so not sure what it entails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter