Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I haven't seen the size policy change but would not be surprised if it did. Same for breed restrictions.

I wonder if you and I cancel each other out LOL? We are also stockholders and DVC members ( with greyhounds lol) and are against the policy and hoping it fails.

We probably did (LOL) as I am sure this is happening more than people think ! :flower1:

I’m not at all surprised that there’s only one dog there right now. This policy was JUST put into effect, and was only announced 2 days ahead of time. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of people still don’t know about it, and even if they did, they probably had already made other arrangements for their pet prior to leaving.

I was also under the impression (although I could be wrong) that you had to “declare” your dog at the time of booking for a couple of reasons. First, so that the pricing will be correct and second, so that you’re placed in the dog area of the resort. There hasn’t been time for very many people to book with a dog just yet.

I’d like to see what happens when more people know about this and have had time to book.
If you book online there is no way to declare your pet.

From what I have read disney has not given a size limitation, has anyone seen this changed yet? Someone on another thread said I could not bring my Greyhounds (as I stated in that post and from signature below I have four so would not leave two and bring two).

I also have gotten a response back from a svp at Disney(email sent to Disney president so I am sure was filtered down to svp) thanking me for my support of the trial policy. In it I stated we were stockholders and dvc members and I also thought Disney could have give more than two days notice on the announcement. Additionally told them to be sure and enforce the rules as many would be looking for this trial policy to fail.
There are no size or breed restrictions yet, but Disney is making this up as they go along, so that could change.

It's 50-75 bucks PER NIGHT. Your normal sitter/kennel is MORE THAN THAT?!!!

It costs more than $75 per day to board my two dogs.

So this makes me think about WET DOGS. Lots and lots of WET DOGS at WDW Resorts. (Not that it ever rains in Orlando) Do you suppose Disney will come up with a rule stating how many hours per day all of those wet dogs are allowed to smell bad? Probably 7 hours?

Yuck! I didn't even think of the wet dog smell, so that on top of pee - ewww. My Newfie smells TERRIBLE when she gets wet (which is most of the time since we can't keep her out of our pool!). I can imagine how stinky it would be cooped up in a hotel room.

I don't think anyone has been particularly welcomed or 'un-welcomed' on either side of the argument. There are more posts on the "against" side, but that doesn't equate to being welcomed. I haven't necessarily felt welcomed all the way, but I persevered because this is important to me. I think people against the new policy may be more motivated because they have a lot more to lose in relation to this.

If there's been hyperbole or hysteria it's been a little on both sides. (Sometimes, one simply in how it responds to the other.)

There have certainly been misinterpretations and twisting of words on both sides, sometimes voiced from other threads (I won't give examples - I'm trying to be broad, not personal.)

None of us can know for sure what other people think or know enough to dismiss another's thoughts or experiences. (Again - on either side of this discussion.) ...If I could read minds, I'd use it to read Disney decision-makers' minds! :D

I'm grateful the DIS enabled and allowed this discussion. There have been friendly and helpful posts here, I hope they don't get drowned out.

And to be personal just for a moment, it's my direct experience that if you like dogs, but have to avoid them, you're getting less and less of a voice about it in society generally, so it was nice to have more of one here for a while and chat about it.
Well to be fair I did read on the other thread about a family who is planning their trip with their dogs and didn't want to post here because she's afraid of the backlash she will get. She is also concerned that her family and her pets will be mistreated by other guests while they're enjoying their vacation. I truly hope no one treats any family harshly if they choose to bring a pet.

Well to be fair I did read on the other thread about a family who is planning their trip with their dogs and didn't want to post here because she's afraid of the backlash she will get. She is also concerned that her family and her pets will be mistreated by other guests while they're enjoying their vacation. I truly hope no one treats any family harshly if they choose to bring a pet.
I understand her fear. I hope she will understand mine. Mine might be a little different than hers. I don't know her dog. My fear would be, will the dog bite, scratch, or knock down my child? One thing we can both agree on, our fears will be new ones, having never experienced them at a Disney World Resort.

Last edited:

I can't see anyone treating them harshly. Most who know about it and don't approve will be avoiding these resorts now. Those who don't know, and may assume it's still a dog free resort, I could see possibly getting annoyed if they saw someone with a dog and may or may not say something if they don't realize they are allowed to be there. It might help if Disney was clear when booking that specific rooms are dog friendly or not and alert people the resort has the option. For people already booked a notice should definitely go out and it seems like it has to some.

As for posting here I certainly wouldn't attack anyone who plans to bring their dogs and several have posted their intentions to do so. I don't blame them for doing what Disney allows, I blame Disney for making a change I'm not happy about and not handling it well.

I've been to fancy bed and breakfasts, Ritz Careltons, and Four Seasons that allowed dogs. The rules for dogs were strongly enforced. Allowing dogs doesn't immediately turn a hotel into a poop filled wasteland. If Disney properly enforces and implements rules for the dogs I imagine this won't end up being a huge deal.

I agree that it won't immediately ruin the resort. However with Disney's tendency to not enforce their rules consistently that leaves it open to big problems. I think many of us here don't have much faith that they will be enforced. Also that the rules they've laid forth so far are pretty lax compared to other hotels that allow dogs.

That's incredibly hard to believe since pet dogs have been allowed at FW for years. October at FW is highly coveted, and guests are known to stay for extended periods of time. So, no doubt in my mind there's more than one pet dog on property.

Also, the policy just started 2 days ago with 48 hr notice, from what I understand. I'd assume people already had plans in place for local kennels/pet sitters...or don't have the $50-$75 per night to cough up, travel space, proper vaccinations, etc.

Hi Lehuaann, agreed about dogs at the Fort, and that's where we'll be for Halloween, any who... when I called guest services about the dog surprise, I was told it would now be allowed in all the cabins.. Bummer! :mad:

It costs more than $75 per day to board my two dogs.

Yuck! I didn't even think of the wet dog smell, so that on top of pee - ewww. My Newfie smells TERRIBLE when she gets wet (which is most of the time since we can't keep her out of our pool!). I can imagine how stinky it would be cooped up in a hotel room.
Yep. Costs me $60/day for 2 dogs, but one is little.

So, today in my ongoing situation for my January "Trial Period Dance Group Trip at the POR"!

Monday, I had sent a email to the TA/trip planners about the new policy, asking if (1) I'll be able to request a non-pet friendly room and (2) are they going to inform the group in case anyone had serious issues to address - mine are only preference issues, but since it's a group reservation, we all have to do the same thing and there's no option to change, although there's still time to cancel.

I was told "the best we can do is request a non-dog area", and that they planned to notify the group of the new policy.

On the first part, it sounds like policies are evolving so perhaps there will be more distinct areas like I hear there are in Universal and these requests will be easier to accommodate.

On the second part, I received my "Final Disney Notice" email this morning from the studio. It mentioned that there's still time to add people for the trip, do we want to try and match up in rooms with others on the trip that we've never met (that's a no for me, thanks, lol!), and lastly, our money is due tomorrow! No mention of the new policy or the trial period or even cut and past of the article. Given I have no idea the different issues/concerns people may have to consider, I'm glad that I'm not in the position to be handing over my money and then hearing about it and having to cancel if necessary and disappoint my kid.

Now, file it under "take the money and apologize later", and I don't put it on Disney. I'm not sure what Disney's timeline is for stuff like that and when they would email a confirmed reservation about something going on at a resort (construction and the like). I do, however, think it speaks to people being caught off guard in the trial period so I do hope they're working out the kinks. I hope everyone in our group gets the message tomorrow - I think an email to the group with some time to think about it would have been better....

I understand her fear. I hope she will understand mine. Mine might be a little different than hers. I don't know her dog. My fear would be, will the dog bite, scratch, or knock down my child? One thing we can both agree on, our fears will be new ones, having never experienced them at a Disney World Resort.
I do understand your point but she's not saying she's going to have her dog do any of those things. What I've read on this thread are people telling others to follow them with your phones (stalking) and report dogs as abandoned if you hear them bark. Both of those are scarey and unwelcoming to someone who doesn't really know you personally or what you are capable of doing.

I agree that it won't immediately ruin the resort. However with Disney's tendency to not enforce their rules consistently that leaves it open to big problems. I think many of us here don't have much faith that they will be enforced. Also that the rules they've laid forth so far are pretty lax compared to other hotels that allow dogs.

I'd like to see size and breed restrictions in the actual resorts (the cabins are more isolated, so I don't have the same concerns there). I imagine they will change the policy on allowing all breeds and sizes of dogs after the first dog bite claim is made on their insurance policy and they see how easy it is to be liable for a dog bite in Florida.

I do understand your point but she's not saying she's going to have her dog do any of those things. What I've read on this thread are people telling others to follow them with your phones (stalking) and report dogs as abandoned if you hear them bark. Both of those are scarey and unwelcoming to someone who doesn't really know you personally or what you are capable of doing.
I also think ppl need to be careful with that kind of behavior b/c it may backfire. They might find themselves being the ones that get removed like the lady on the SW flight that supposedly said she couldn’t fly with the dog on the plane.

In terms of my approach, and I am sure similarly for many others, any and all violations of Disney's dog policy (as it stands on any given day) will be swiftly reported. I would think it prudent for anyone bringing a dog to have contingency plans in case they are required by Disney to immediately leave the resort due to any such violations.

Last edited:
If you book online there is no way to declare your pet.

I was looking at it as I like to look at the "systems" side of stuff...it's not on the "Room Rate" section, it's under the "Overview" section as the bottom tab - you'd need to click that to get all the info, which says you need to call to book with your dog. It's unclear if you can book via the Room Rate section in MDE and then call, or if you need to call in order to book with a dog. My point is that it lacks clarity how to proceed (as do some of the other policies) and they should consider cleaning it up for the benefit of those wanting to book with or without dogs. Anyone know how Universal does it? I know I keep asking that, lol, but several posters have mentioned positive experiences there...

It's 50-75 bucks PER NIGHT. Your normal sitter/kennel is MORE THAN THAT?!!!

I posted earlier to take my two to the doggie resort, with them sharing a space, it would cost me well over $800 for 7 nights, so over $100 a day ... I can bring them to Disney for $350 for 7 nights. Hmmm, that $450 goes a long way in spending money ... and that is how folks will look at it. Oh and my kennel is much stricter on shots, even additional shots because of being with other dogs ... shots Disney does not appear to require.

Found it interesting-somebody reported elsewhere that they talked to a CM and currently Disney has One, count it ONE pet dog on property (at the AoA). My guess is Disney will have a couple dozen Dogs or less on property at any given time. Given time I think people will find that the dog policy will be no big deal. We just need to give it that time.

Well no doubt either the "somebody" or the "CM" are lying. I will guarantee the dogs at FW are in the double digits and I don't mean 10. Yes there will only be so many ... for now. It was just announced and most people don't even know about it, many don't like the campground ..... you will have to wait about 3-4 months before you begin to see them coming in noticeable numbers. Other than bloggers and some FL residents who can go on moments notice no one is going to suddenly plan a trip to Disney if they were one of the few who heard about the dogs.

So we are now a few days into the trial, and the public outcry on social media and via communications directly to Disney has taken everyone by surprise - heck, it even took me aback, and I know how vocal Disney fans can be. I think it's safe to say that Disney completely underestimated the passion that many people would have on this subject, and the initial plans are being modified and policies rewritten on the fly at the moment. This process will probably remain fluid over the next few weeks, and Disney is closely monitoring and listening to the feedback and will continue to adjust procedures to try to make this trial work for everyone.

Initially, as will have been seen from the printed Dog Relief Area maps, it was intended that all these happy fluffy pets (which everyone would surely like) would be permitted in any type of guest booking at Riverside (which is the only resort I can directly comment on) and the early announcements did state that the whole resort - barring certain areas such as food & beverage and swimming pools - would be canine accessible as long as the animals were kept under control and on a leash. However over the last 48 hours that intent has been severely trimmed back and they are now aiming to try to restrict dogs to only Standard and Garden View rooms, and the current intention from the room inventory department at Riverside is to use building 24 as much as possible for any guests who book to stay with their pets. This building is well away from the common areas, is located right next to the parking lot to make getting pets to and from rooms easier, and has a nice grassy area nearby to allow dogs to be exercised.

However, although the telephone Reservations Center is now advising guests who wish to bring dogs with them that this will only be possible for Standard and Garden View rooms, the initial announcements - and even the currently posted wording on the Disney website - do not require guests to book that way, nor to preregister their dogs. Thus it is entirely possible that people who have booked for other room categories using the Disney website, via travel agents, through Expedia, etc. will simply show up at the front desk accompanied by their pet(s) and ask to pay the daily fee. This could mean that, in the short term at least, dogs will still need to be accommodated in other areas of the resort in order to comply with existing bookings. This will of course be closely monitored and subsequent deep-cleans arranged for any affected rooms, but at this stage it cannot be guaranteed that other areas of the resort will remain completely dog-free.

I have reached out to my contacts at Riverside who have said that so far (i.e. in the first three days of the program) they have not yet had a single dog staying at the resort. Over the next seven days there are currently just four one-night reservations with associated comments indicating that the guest plans to bring a dog with them, against more than 100 comments over the same seven-day period asking to be assigned to a room away from the dog friendly areas. Those four one-night reservations are apparently all from local Florida residents, and personally I would not be at all surprised to find that some or all of them turn out to be from social media aware guests, or even bloggers or website owners, testing out the new policies for themselves. If there have been any booking cancellations because of this new policy then they have already been replaced with new reservations, as Riverside is either sold out or very close to it for the rest of the month.

Please remember however that we are still only three days into a year-long trial period and there is plenty of time for any of the above information to change in line with practical needs and guest comments and experiences.

I have updated my FAQ page with all the latest information and will continue to note changes there, http://www.portorleans.org/faqs.php#Dogs

[I've posted this here as well as the (very!) long dogs thread, as important information is just getting lost in there]

Andre

But how does "only garden and standard really help"? Based on your floor plans the only buildings safe from this are the Preferred, otherwise the rest of the resort if fair game.

I can see not wanting to post here but to think she will be mistreated by guests seems a bit dramatic. What does she possibly think they will do to her? The only thing she has to worry about is if her dogs barks, her dog goes to the bathroom anywhere but the relief stations, if Disney puts allergic guests in rooms by her ......... and all of that will be reported to the front desk. If it's her problem aka dogs behavior she will be contacted and if it's Disney's problem aka putting non-dog guests next to her, Disney must fix it.

That's really sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter