Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, it just shows you haven't read (well, there are over 100 pages :D) or don't really understand the posts by people whose concerns go way beyond barking.

You don't really get it and that's OK, but it does make it unkind to keep describing people's worries as hysteria.

You have no idea if, "It is highly likely that very few people will ever be negatively impacted by this, and if that's not the case, Disney will fix it." ...Not least because many in similar situations elsewhere will have been completely unknown to you and this will most likely be the case at Disney, too.

I do like the GIF, though.

To be fair, there has been a lot of hysteria on this thread not related to allergies or phobias which are real issues that need be addressed. And I have read most of this thread.

And just like the poster you quoted may not know what will happen, neither do all the negative posters. So again, maybe people should give the trial an honest run and then see what happens. Obviously isn't going to happen but it would be nice.

I also like the gif. :)

FTR, I don't agree with some of the opinions here. Disney taking in pets during Irma actually put a smile on my face. And I've often thought on many occasions how nice it would be to have our anxiety dog with us at the cabins.

But now that this policy is REAL, which I never thought I'd see in a million years, it does have the potential to open up a can of worms, especially if Disney doesn't adhere to it properly.

Personal liability is another thing. Pets cannot be added to trip insurance, so owners will need to be careful. Just a few weeks ago we watched children petting dogs at Epcot and FW. To ME, that is not smart. At all.
As a generality a person's homeowner's or renter's insurance (and if needed and if they had it their umbrella insurance policy) would cover them for personal liability. It would still have to be a covered loss of course. But as with some very very common things such as driving we all hope that people are insured adequately should something occur.

As to children petting a dog at epcot that is both on the responsibility of the person owning the dog and the parents (or the person responsible for the children) allowing their children to pet the dog. It would still be the liability of the owner of the dog but it doesn't exempt responsibilties from other parties.

But you do bring up a very good point.

Something that occurred to me : Are dog-friendly park days/special times the next logical and inevitable step ? Part of me thinks this would never be approved, but if this is a designated time/place type of event, then I can see Disney World green-lighting this. I would be very upset to see this. I am currently in correspondence with Guest Services on the Dog-Resort fracas. I think it might be a good idea to preempt this by voicing my opposition to this now as opposed to waiting and then being given 2 days notice that dogs will now be allowed in certain parks at certain times with certain unenforceable conditions. This feels like fighting a losing rearguard action to preserve something I really cherish.

Virtually everything is conflicting, and that is on Disney for adding this with hardly any rules, no bookable category, CMs who give all different answers, CMs who are probably making up answers, maps that don't match words .............. Unfortunately for those booked and unable to change, this is going to be a wait and see.

When I received the first call from a CM regarding the email I sent about my upcoming stay at Aof, he said they'd been told about this during a meeting on Thursday and the news came out on Friday. He said that this was as big a surprise to them as it was to us. I do feel for the front line staff trying to deal with all these questions and concerns because they are obviously not given enough information to answer the questions adequately. Given that the first call I received early afternoon on Monday was polite but unsympathetic, and the second call I received Monday evening was "what can we do to make you happy", I wonder if something may have shifted in Disney's response to this at some point on Monday. I think they had no idea anybody would possibly find anything to be concerned about and were not at all prepared for this.

Like I said, it just shows you haven't read (well, there are over 100 pages :D) or don't really understand the posts by people whose concerns go way beyond barking.

You don't really get it and that's OK, but it does make it unkind to keep describing people's worries as hysteria.

You have no idea if, "It is highly likely that very few people will ever be negatively impacted by this, and if that's not the case, Disney will fix it." ...Not least because many in similar situations elsewhere will have been completely unknown to you and this will most likely be the case at Disney, too.

I do like the GIF, though.
I completely understand those that have some worries or questions about this, that's not who I'm referring to. But, you can't deny there are plenty of people in full blown meltdown mode. All I'm saying is wait and see how this goes first.

I don't know what the banner is at the top of everyone's page but mine has an ad for La Quinta saying they allow pets. That's some on the ball marketing right there. Or maybe it's not. :confused3

FTR, I don't agree with some of the opinions here. Disney taking in pets during Irma actually put a smile on my face. And I've often thought on many occasions how nice it would be to have our anxiety dog with us at the cabins.

But now that this policy is REAL, which I never thought I'd see in a million years, it does have the potential to open up a can of worms, especially if Disney doesn't adhere to it properly.

Personal liability is another thing. Pets cannot be added to trip insurance, so owners will need to be careful. Just a few weeks ago we watched guests petting dogs at Epcot and FW. To ME, that is not smart. At all.
I'm not getting why some think that Disney is not a place for people to bring pets. If other hotels or resorts do it then let Disney try it and decide for themselves. Disney is a huge company and they wouldn't jump into something without doing their homework first.

When Disney opened up their hotels to Florida residents and their pets during Irma it made me happy too. I'm always the one worrying about the animals in those situations. I know most people can fend for themselves but animals need our help.

I'm just waiting to hear some real stories about this policy. Good and bad. I just hope people will keep to the facts and tell it like it is without over exaggerating.

I just hope others are respectful and kind to those who choose to bring their pet with them while they are vacationing. I hope owners will do the same and clean up after and take care of their pets as they do at home.

I don't know what the banner is at the top of everyone's page but mine has an ad for La Quinta saying they allow pets. That's some on the ball marketing right there. Or maybe it's not. :confused3
Websites track you all the time. I have Ad-Blocker Plus on my laptop and see no ads. If I access the DIS on my phone I've got plenty of ads because I don't have Ad-Blocker on there. A common one on my phone for example I see is if I go to something like Bed Bath and Beyond and then access a different website it's common for me to see Ads related to Bed Bath and Beyond.

*Disregard if you were being funny and I just didn't catch it lol*

To be fair, there has been a lot of hysteria on this thread not related to allergies or phobias which are real issues that need be addressed. And I have read most of this thread.

And just like the poster you quoted may not know what will happen, neither do all the negative posters. So again, maybe people should give the trial an honest run and then see what happens. Obviously isn't going to happen but it would be nice.

I also like the gif. :)

I've said this many times now, but I'll say it again: people who you might think are being unnecessarily negative and who you think should wait and see what happens, may well have direct personal experiences informing their concerns in ways you don't or can't understand. These experiences validate their comments in ways you just don't know.

When you've seen and experienced it yourself in so many places outside of Disney, you have a good idea what the problems can be. So, yes people can, then, speculate sensibly (even when someone who doesn't really get it describes it as hysteria) based on past experiences - and based on other factors, e.g., relating to how Disney deals with other guest issues, not least dogs at FW campground, mousekeeping struggles and consistency in enforcing rules (or not!).

I don’t think ppl are ignoring it, but I do think the family of 5 is a relatively small portion of the population. I’m not saying it doesn’t suck any less for those effected. But, I think WDW would make more resorts to accommodate this if there were that many families that fit this.

But they did apparently see a need for it. They added rooms of 5 to CBR just 2 years ago and built AoA suites for up to 6 people. Now they've essentially taken those options away from people who can't or won't stay in a hotel with dogs.

Something that occurred to me : Are dog-friendly park days/special times the next logical and inevitable step ? Part of me thinks this would never be approved, but if this is a designated time/place type of event, then I can see Disney World green-lighting this. I would be very upset to see this.

Please don't even go there!! I had the same thought and squeezed it right out of my mind. I don't see it happening, in large part because I can't imagine they would be allowed on rides, and then where would they go while people are on rides.

No, of course not. I was surprised by a few things though...

Allergies and barking were mentioned but not fears and phobias.

The repeated mention of being "stunned by poll results".

Comments:

"Does everyone really believe Disney will not designate pet friendly and not pet friendly rooms?"

"Does everyone really believe people will bring a pet that doesn't behave with them?"

Well, based on CM responses and past performance by Disney and it's guests...yes and yes.

There was discussion of enforcement options which brought on discussion of the lack of availability at Best Friends should a pet have to be removed.

I just thought maybe they might have actually read some of the thread and not just looked at the poll results.
and did you notice, almost all of them are dog owners. I said that before, the only people surprised at how much something bothers other people is those who engage in that activity. In this case, that is being a dog owner.

I'm not getting why some think that Disney is not a place for people to bring pets. If other hotels or resorts do it then let Disney try it and decide for themselves. Disney is a huge company and they wouldn't jump into something without doing their homework first.

When Disney opened up their hotels to Florida residents and their pets during Irma it made me happy too. I'm always the one worrying about the animals in those situations. I know most people can fend for themselves but animals need our help.

I'm just waiting to hear some real stories about this policy. Good and bad. I just hope people will keep to the facts and tell it like it is without over exaggerating.

I just hope others are respectful and kind to those who choose to bring their pet with them while they are vacationing. I hope owners will do the same and clean up after and take care of their pets as they do at home.

Great post

Websites track you all the time. I have Ad-Blocker Plus on my laptop and see no ads. If I access the DIS on my phone I've got plenty of ads because I don't have Ad-Blocker on there. A common one on my phone for example I see is if I go to something like Bed Bath and Beyond and then access a different website it's common for me to see Ads related to Bed Bath and Beyond.

*Disregard if you were being funny and I just didn't catch it lol*

I mean the add is there but yeah was just joking. Don't think people are really in the mood for that on this thread though.

and did you notice, almost all of them are dog owners. I said that before, the only people surprised at how much something bothers other people is those who engage in that activity. In this case, that is being a dog owner.
Eh..I don't know.I think there's been a lot of comments on this thread from dog owners who are opposed to this new policy...

Obviously. I'm trying to show how ridiculous the previous suggestion was. The original comment was not about checking to make sure the dog was ok, it was about the dog making too much noise for them and having them removed.

The hysteria over this has gotten to insane levels that I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading this. I'm convinced if Disney announced they were allowing guests to bring assault rifles and any weapons they wanted there would less outrage than this.
You misunderstand me. If a human baby is crying for an extended period of time I go check. Not for a dog. No. Just no. Why would you think that I would?!?

Dogs are left alone all the time. If it goes on for too long I’ll probably have to hoof it to the front desk - cause we all know that phoning does little. Now the dog’s owner has made his problem, MY problem.

Your argument makes no sense. I have a moral & legal obligation to check on a baby if I think it’s in distress. People leave dogs alone all the time. I’m not obligated to check on your dog! It is not a human being!

This whole thing saddens me. I have a different reason for not liking this in addition to all the excellent well thought out posters.
You see I have planned a surprise trip to our favorite resort POR for our 50th wedding anniversary in Feb. POR is special to us and we have many happy memories there. We have had. Trips with kids and grandkids. We have always loved the ambience of Por, the quiet and tranquillity of this special place. Now we are going to have to upgrade if we don't want a dog room for more money or change to another resort. Not so easy to do at this point in life. We love POR, no matter what the reason.
Shouldn't we be able to have our vacation where we want, without having the inconveniences which have been mentioned over and over again on here. Simple as that. We should all be able to do this for whatever reason. Now with these changes, I am saddened that our favorite resort has been targeted for this experiment. The very tranquil qualities of this resort have been important to us, not mention the beautiful pathways.
I will definitely be emailing wdw with a list of concerns.
I have stayed at the royal Pacifica resort at universal and never saw a dog. They have dedicated rooms and strict rules which they enforce. Not so,Disney. Their track record is not encouraging. Just look at the decline in housekeeping.
Please share this via WDW guest communications.

This is a wonderful idea and long over due. Universal has always had pet friendly hotels. My family and I'm sure many pet owners not on this board feel the same way. There is a demand for this. Disney World has many Resorts and rooms so it will be easy for the ones who don't like this idea to find a room at their favorite resort that they will love and free from pet dander. I booked a room yesterday at The Art of Animation and canceled my reservation at Lowes Portofino. Our little Minnie Mouse is 3 pounds of sweetness and love and she is also special needs so we are gratefully she can finally stay with us on property.

Mine is for MCAT Courses. So I guess they know I don't want to see those pet friendly hotel ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter