Traveling with special needs stroller

disneyworldmom2

Mouseketeer
This will be our first time taking a special needs stroller with us. Our DS is 8 and has gotten too big for anything else, and cannot walk through the parks. We will be taking a Kids Kart Mighty Lite stroller. It does fold up some, but not nearly as compactly as an umbrella stroller, and it is much heavier.

I know others have traveled with them, as I've seen them in the parks before. Any advice on traveling with one? I'm especially concerned about using it on buses, as it is not light or nearly as compact as the McClaren umbrella we've taken in the past.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I looked it up and noticed that it has a transport option available, which can either be ordered with it at the time you get it or the transport option can be added later. If he travels a lot, you may want to see how much it would be to add the transit option. That way, he could stay in it while on the bus and you would not have to move him out of it and fold it for the buses.
You would want to make sure that the stroller will still fold if you add the transit option for those times when you need to fold it.
Most bus drivers will allow special needs strollers to be brought into the bus thru the back door, but unless it is designed for transport, it will still need to be folded. Using the wheelchair tiedowns can damage it and it is not safe to sit in it during transport.

It doesn’t look like a stroller, especially with an 8 yr old, but it would probably still be worthwhile to get a tag for it as a “stroller as a wheelchair”. This will allow the stroller to be brought into lines/attractions/buildings without problem.
There is more information about this in post #6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

I read your message and thought we were living the same life. My DS will be 8 and can not walk the distance in the parks. We're in the process of getting diagnosed at Shriner's hospital. We used to bring the Maclaren umbrella but he is too big for it now. My son does not want to be in a wheel chair. He doesn't like attention brought to him. I chose to rent an otto bock eco buggy while we are down there. It looks more like a stroller but has more of a wheel chair type seat if you can imagine. He agreed this would be ok. It holds upto 110 lbs and is supposed to be light weight and easy to fold like an umbrella. I'm treating it as an umbrella when it comes to transport. My son is lucky enough to be mobile where he can get into a bus seat. I wish I had more insight for you but couldn't believe the similairities down to the stroller we used to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter