Travel Wifi hotspot in caribbean?

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if anyone has ever rented a travel wifi hotspot during their Caribbean cruise? I'm considering doing so, which would give me internet access when in port. It seems like much better financially than paying for DCL wifi. (And yes, I know I should just unplug, but that's a lot to ask from a millennial like me!)

I'm not a millennial but I also need wifi/connectivity to check on my business. It's what pays these cruises for us.
I'd love to disconnect but sadly I can't.

I've used the DCL's connect@sea plans for 8/9 cruises we've taken - on a 7 night I use 2-3 large packages and its good for emails, some browsing, texting etc. And it's decent speed but connectivity is bad when way out in the ocean.

I've found $180-240 per cruise is pricey so I got me a Skyroam Solis (google it) which is a portable hotspot.
It's not cheap ($300 + a daily/monthly plan) so if you're only going to use it for 1 cruise its not worth it, better go with DCL's paid wifi. If you plan on using it on other cruises/trips it's awesome and it pays for itself quickly.

In our last cruise I used the hotspot (a monthly plan which is $99) for the length of the cruise (11 night) and it worked great when close to land (4G speed, almost never disconnected) but when far from land connection was spotty at times but I still managed to be connected most of the time I needed it.

I thoroughly recommend it if you're going to use it beyond your cruise.

Could you just use your phone?

I have Verizon but I think AT&T has something similar. I pay extra (usually $5 or $10 per day depending on the country) for their travel pass which is talk and data just like at home. Then if I need my computer I just use my phone as a hotspot and connect via that. Honestly, while I think I'll want to be connected a lot, I usually don't have a ton of time to be on my computer. And then I can use my phone just like at home.

There is a device made by Skyroam (Solis X) which is a VPN that you can take with you and then buy day passes ($9.99 for 24 hours of unlimited WIFI) which can be used as needed on up to 5 devices... The device itself is $180 so there is an up front cost.

I'm not a millennial but I also need wifi/connectivity to check on my business. It's what pays these cruises for us.
I'd love to disconnect but sadly I can't.

I've used the DCL's connect@sea plans for 8/9 cruises we've taken - on a 7 night I use 2-3 large packages and its good for emails, some browsing, texting etc. And it's decent speed but connectivity is bad when way out in the ocean.

I've found $180-240 per cruise is pricey so I got me a Skyroam Solis (google it) which is a portable hotspot.
It's not cheap ($300 + a daily/monthly plan) so if you're only going to use it for 1 cruise its not worth it, better go with DCL's paid wifi. If you plan on using it on other cruises/trips it's awesome and it pays for itself quickly.

In our last cruise I used the hotspot (a monthly plan which is $99) for the length of the cruise (11 night) and it worked great when close to land (4G speed, almost never disconnected) but when far from land connection was spotty at times but I still managed to be connected most of the time I needed it.

I thoroughly recommend it if you're going to use it beyond your cruise.
Could you just use your phone?

I have Verizon but I think AT&T has something similar. I pay extra (usually $5 or $10 per day depending on the country) for their travel pass which is talk and data just like at home. Then if I need my computer I just use my phone as a hotspot and connect via that. Honestly, while I think I'll want to be connected a lot, I usually don't have a ton of time to be on my computer. And then I can use my phone just like at home.
There is a device made by Skyroam (Solis X) which is a VPN that you can take with you and then buy day passes ($9.99 for 24 hours of unlimited WIFI) which can be used as needed on up to 5 devices... The device itself is $180 so there is an up front cost.

Thanks for the input! Unfortunately I can't just get a temp data plan for my phone because it's through my work. I did find some places that do device rental and data plan for about $12/day, so I will prob do that! Just basically validating that I'm not crazy!

Google Fi's standard plan includes phone and data at no extra charge in most of the region.

Are you going Eastern, Western or Bahamas? I have Boost which has no service except in St Thomas (US Virgin Island) where I had full service for no extra on my cell. Just something to consider.

New to the hotspot game.

What's the difference between using something like this versus your phone as a hotspot?

New to the hotspot game.

What's the difference between using something like this versus your phone as a hotspot?

Here are a couple big things, at least in my experience managing them:

1. They don't use your phone's data. This isn't a big deal in the world of unlimited plans but there are still plenty of people out there that don't have one.

2. They aren't using your phone's battery. The hotspot function will drain your phone battery pretty quickly if you use it more than a very little bit. If you try to use your phone at the same time, hasta la vista battery.

Here are a couple big things, at least in my experience managing them:

1. They don't use your phone's data. This isn't a big deal in the world of unlimited plans but there are still plenty of people out there that don't have one.

2. They aren't using your phone's battery. The hotspot function will drain your phone battery pretty quickly if you use it more than a very little bit. If you try to use your phone at the same time, hasta la vista battery.
That makes sense. Do most cell phone companies require you get an international plan too? Thank you for answering my really remedial questions.

That makes sense. Do most cell phone companies require you get an international plan too? Thank you for answering my really remedial questions.

I'm not aware of any cell providers that require an international plan when travelling outside the boundaries they cover as part of the basic "national" coverage. Most I've dealt with will happily allow you to roam at international rates until some limit is reached where they will cut you off until you give them money to cover the roaming or switch to an international plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter