Travel Guide for O'ahu

Glad to hear there's seating at some of the trucks. We'll have to watch for that, as I'm sure now that we'll want to try eating at a shrimp truck. You mentioned that the shrimp are messy. Were they boiled or fried?

;)

I'm honestly not sure how they're cooked - but not boiled or fried. Sort of teriyaki style. I would say sort of a combo of grilled/stir-fried/steamed in the butter garlic sauce. At home I do something similar that is called bbq shrimp and is baked in the oven. They are pretty large shrimp you pick up by the tail and eat, so it involves using your hands and getting a little sticky.

... I have been to the Polynesian Cultural Center several times and it is a must do on my trips to Oahu. We love it there and have also done the luau there and always stay for the evening show. The entire event takes a full day and it is about 1 1/2 hours away from downtown Honolulu but well worth it.

You know, as obsessed as this forum gets with any shows at WDW or Sea World, not many recommend the Polynesian Cultural Center. Perhaps because of the $$$.

To me it's the Heart & Soul of Hawaii, something that makes the trip memorable for years. just like the smell of flowers in the air...

Has anyone used or seen the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Hawaii? I saw the 2011 edition on the shelf at Barnes and Noble. It was $23. Online at BN it was $18.

Then I noticed that the 2013 edition is coming out March 18!.... and they are selling it for $15!

The 2011 looks like a good book. Any thoughts?

---Paul in Southern NJ

I agree 100% with the above post. I have been to the Polynesian Cultural Center several times and it is a must do on my trips to Oahu. We love it there and have also done the luau there and always stay for the evening show. The entire event takes a full day and it is about 1 1/2 hours away from downtown Honolulu but well worth it.

We're going to Hawaii in July and are planning to due the Polynesian Cultural Center. Have you done the Circle Island Tour as part of the package? We can't decide if we should do it or not. Thanks for any info!

We're going to Hawaii in July and are planning to due the Polynesian Cultural Center. Have you done the Circle Island Tour as part of the package? We can't decide if we should do it or not. Thanks for any info!

Isn't the PCC, Pearl Harbor and downtown Waikiki/Honolulu on the must do list for OAHU?

---Paul in Southern NJ

We are preparing to go in May to Aulani. Finding it difficult to get a grasp of the many different things to know. I hope it's OK if I ask some questions of those that have been.
1. Rental cars - where and what is a good rate for 11 days?
2. Luau's - which one is the best for an authentic experience!
3. Waterfall hikes - where?
4. Best places to eat outside the resort?
5. Go Oahu card worth it?
6. Costco membership for 30% off some tours worth it?

Thanks for any tips you can provide. I understand DVC members can park free at the resort, can someone confirm.

If you're doing tours, I'd price it out. For us, it made much more sense to rent a car.

IleneF said:
We are preparing to go in May to Aulani. Finding it difficult to get a grasp of the many different things to know. I hope it's OK if I ask some questions of those that have been.

Thanks for any tips you can provide. I understand DVC members can park free at the resort, can someone confirm.

Have you checked out the DVC Resorts Forum...lots of info there

Aulani is way outside Waikiki. Although advertised just outside of Waikiki it is a 45 minute ride. Rental car rates vary based on size and when you want to rent. I recommend googling rental cars hawaii and try some of the agencies that come up. Try to talk with some of the locals for dining suggestions. The restaurants near your resort are mainly connected to the Marriott or Disney. Roy's is near the resort and very good. Costco membership for $$'s off tours would depend on tours. Some may be great others not worth it. Pearl Harbor is free well worth it. As said many times earlier go early in AM. Also go see Punch Bowl. Iolani Palace is another great tour. Not sure what is offered through Go Oahu.

We went two years ago for our 10 year anniversary. Best decision we made was to stay on the North shore. Waikiki was too busy for us and we were able to get an affordable home rental on Laie Point street right on the beach. Was cheaper than staying at a resort and we had the beach to ourselves most of the time.

For us we loved:
- Macadamian Nut farm. So fun and the tour is entertaining and cheap.
- Kualoa Ranch
-Rent a car and take the Tantalus drive
- Laie Point. My favorite spot in Oahu.
- The Banyan tree at Turtle Bay
- The shrimp trucks in particular Giovanni's
- Pearl harbor
- Lunch in Chinatown
- Aloha swap meet
- Haleiwa

You know, as obsessed as this forum gets with any shows at WDW or Sea World, not many recommend the Polynesian Cultural Center. Perhaps because of the $$$.

To me it's the Heart & Soul of Hawaii, something that makes the trip memorable for years. just like the smell of flowers in the air...

It could also be because alcohol drinks are not served at the PCC. I know a lot of people want a real Mai Tai at a luau.;)

Make A Wish booked our trip and they chose the luau at Paradise Cove. Probably because of cost.

If, instead of taking the island tour offered by the PCC, you were to put together an island tour of your own by car, where would you go and what would you see?

Has anyone done this? Do you have a list of places you went? How long a "tour" was it?

Many thanks...

---Paul in Southern NJ

I have been researching a while. The hawaii forum on tripadvisor is very active.

when you say oahu maui and hawaii, i'm assuming you mean the big island. Most recommend at least a week just for the BI because its so 'big'. If you just want to concentrate in one area might be doable.

most would recommend 1-2 islands max. Count your nights not days. I'd consider oahu maui w kids, if summer oahu kauai.

fodors and frommers have online itineraries to give you a feel. Waydes world hawaii has oahu itineraries. Gohawaii and hawaiin airlines also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter