Transporting food on the airplane?

MELSMICE

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be
This is a really strange question:

My mom has asked me to bring hot dogs with us when we meet them in WDW in a little over a week (they can't get the kind with "skin" in Florida like we have in WNY).

Anyway, would we be able to take them in a soft side cooler & carry it on the plane? I told her I wasn't sure I could even do this, but I would check into it.

Anyone know? :confused:

This is so funny - we have a similar hotdog experience!
DD loves a specific type of Canadian Hotdog - so DH's last visit to Canada, he got 12 doz (...12 packages!) froze them and packed them in a soft cooler.
He flew from BUF to ATL on DL, with the soft cooler as carry on. He didn't have any problems or weird questions - the dogs were still frozen when he got home and DD was thrilled.
I don't think you would have any problems as long as you take them as carry-on.
Enjoy!

Is DL Delta? If it is then I guess we shouldn't have a problem. We are flying from BUF to ATL & then on to Orlando on Delta airlines.

Thanks for the info. :D

Regardless of the airline, it should not be a problem. It is not a forbidden item.

Just be careful that the person in the seat next to you doesn't have a dog or a cat in a pet carrier under the seat next to your hot dogs. ;) :smooth: :D

LOL-Melsmice-are they Sahlen's? I get those everytime I come to Buffalo, the don't sell them year round here in Rochester-lol!

Watch out Ted's here I come!

Originally posted by welovedis
LOL-Melsmice-are they Sahlen's?

Watch out Ted's here I come!

They sure are Sahlen's! :) Do they even sell them anywhere but Buffalo?

We went to Ft. Lauderdale one year & a family member said that the people that own the Char Pit were the same owners of Ted's in Buffalo. Well, we went there. They may have been the same owners, but they didn't have the same hot dogs! :(

You can't beat a Sahlen's dog. :cool:

DH was on loan to a company in Atlanta for two years, so we moved there temporarily.

Everytime I visited family in the Northeast, I had to bring back bagels for a friend I made while living in GA. She had been transplanted to the South from NY and she really missed them.

I froze them, I quadrupled bagged them, but you could still smell the garlic. The people seated around us would get all excited thinking that Delta was serving bagels for breakfast.:p

Definitely carry them on. The airlines are asking that you not pack certain food items in your checked luggage.

Melsmice,
We have transported food in the past as well. We once brought a softside cooler full of New Mexico's Famous "Green Chili" back to WNY. They key is to use dry ice. It keeps it colder and it makes the package lighter.

The Tribe:Pinkbounc

You are correct that some airlines do not allow dry ice. I was visiting my daughter in Washington State and she was craving some good ol' jumbo Gulf Coast shrimp, so I froze about 40 lbs. and packed them in dry ice. I was dropped off at the airport and when I went to check in was told I could not carry it on the plane, neither checked or carry-on. The ticket agent was a complete jerk about it and talked to me like I was ignorant (I had gone to the local ice company to find out how to pack it and bought special insulated boxes, and the dry ice). I could just see losing $200 worth of shrimp, not to mention how disappointed my daughter would be. Thank goodness one of the Skycaps offered to take care of it for me - he carred my package outside, emptied the dry ice and retaped it up for me - well worth the $20 tip I paid him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter