Transatlantic or British Isles?

Carolynleanne

Canadian Disney mom
Looking at doing the Disney Magic in 2021 with the kids. Can anyone share their thoughts on the British Isles versus the Transatlantic? I would prefer to be on the ship for a good ten nights if we’re going to travel that far abroad...

I’ve done both and loved both. The BI cruise was full of excursion days (fun!) while the TA was more relaxed with so many sea days. I tend to go with the longer cruises if I can.

I’ve done both and loved both. The BI cruise was full of excursion days (fun!) while the TA was more relaxed with so many sea days. I tend to go with the longer cruises if I can.

That's actually super helpful. This would be our kids (4, 6, 8) first introduction to Europe with a MAJOR time change (8/9 hours) so I feel like relaxation may be better. We can do the other when they're older and more able to handle long days of touring. Plus I kind of love the idea of sailing into New York :)

the two week cruises, TA and PC generally have fewer kids than normal. Im not saying your kids won't have a good time, just know they might be getting lots of 1:1 time with the kids club staff.

We have done the TA multiple times and loved it! So relaxing and my DS loved the clubs and pools when they are not packed! Once we did B2B eastbound TA and Med and wish it had been in reverse so we could have relaxed after the Med.

Looking at doing the Disney Magic in 2021 with the kids. Can anyone share their thoughts on the British Isles versus the Transatlantic? I would prefer to be on the ship for a good ten nights if we’re going to travel that far abroad...
What is the main focus of your trip to be on a cruise or to actually see and do things? If cruising is the main focus I would go for the transatlantic you have more ship time and can enjoy the things that Disney charges us an arm and a leg for. In my opinion European itineraries are a tough thing as a few hours in the port does no justice to any of these great cities. The only European sailing I would if my focus were ports would be Norway because traveling by boat is actually a benefit as opposed to traveling by land.

Just saw your kids’ age. Doing Europe as a cruise would just be for me simply too exhausting. Just getting from the boat to city Center as an adult is exhausting itself. Europe in general I find awesome for kids but I would do that as land trip; one space for longer periods of time and have more time to see and do things. Ports in Europe are very far away from the city center you cannot compare it to the Caribbean we simply walk off the ship and you’re right there

We did the WBTA last year and it was one of the best cruises we have ever taken. Loved all of the sea days and extra activities. We just finished the Scandinavian Fjords cruise and that was amazing but exhausting because we wanted to take advantage of all of the ports... and that was without our older teen kids. (We are glad we are doing the Panama Canal in November so we can actually enjoy the cruise part!) I think the time change is the hardest part. You will be tired when you get there but sailing back to the US is nice because they keep adding an hour at night (5 times. I think). So you are pretty well adjusted when you get back home. I will add that we love cruising in Europe because we get to see so many different places and you don't have to do as much planning for transportation and you don't have to pack/unpack every day. But they are definitely two different trips. You can't go wrong either way but with your kids ages, I would lean towards the TA.

I'm really starting to second guess taking my kids to Europe at their current ages, haha. I'm just so eager to get back over there that I'm trying to find a way to make it work, but you guys are right; it may not be enjoyable til they are older!

I'm really starting to second guess taking my kids to Europe at their current ages, haha. I'm just so eager to get back over there that I'm trying to find a way to make it work, but you guys are right; it may not be enjoyable til they are older!
I started taking my kids to Europe when the youngest was 4. He is now 16 and we have been 7 times! I highly recommend a land trip. Rent a house or apartment (preferably with pool) in order to have a kitchen and laundry. Rent a car so you can explore and be on your own timeline. France, Spain and Italy are all very child-friendly with history, beaches and good food. We didn't do our first Europe cruise until the kids were 11 & 13. We were all tired at the end! Happy to answer any questions about traveling with young ones to Europe.

I started taking my kids to Europe when the youngest was 4. He is now 16 and we have been 7 times! I highly recommend a land trip. Rent a house or apartment (preferably with pool) in order to have a kitchen and laundry. Rent a car so you can explore and be on your own timeline. France, Spain and Italy are all very child-friendly with history, beaches and good food. We didn't do our first Europe cruise until the kids were 11 & 13. We were all tired at the end! Happy to answer any questions about traveling with young ones to Europe.

Thank you! My kids have traveled all over North America, but I just haven't attempted that 9+ hour time change yet as we're on the West Coast, haha. We're mainly interested in Scotland/Ireland/England which I've done before, but not with the kids. And my husband does not want to drive on the other side of the road!

Me, personally, I'd do a B2B, if that's possible. I prefer the long cruises. Also, the westbound TA is easier (you gain an hour a day for 6 days).

We loved our British Isles/WBTA B2B last year and would love to do it again some time. We did the Northern Fjords/Northern Europe B2B this year and we tired once we got home on the West Coast. The WBTA was much easier to adjust to the time difference.

We did the Inaugural Mediterranean Cruise with my 6 year old sister, 4 year old brother and almost 3 year old brother. There were very few kids on the cruise and it worked out in our favor because they let the almost 3 year old (He was 2 and 10 months) go to Oceaneers Club because he was potty trained. That being said... the kids literally lived in the Oceaneers club. I think they got off at maybe 2 stops of the two week cruise? :P They were way too young to appreciate Europe. But for us, that was totally fine because my parents and the 3 older kids (24, 23, and 18) had the best European adventure and the little kids were safe, happy, and completely entertained in the Oceaneers club. Lol! Win for all involved!

Thank you! My kids have traveled all over North America, but I just haven't attempted that 9+ hour time change yet as we're on the West Coast, haha. We're mainly interested in Scotland/Ireland/England which I've done before, but not with the kids. And my husband does not want to drive on the other side of the road!
I am with your husband on that. Our 2 trips to the UK were done by public transportation (with a stroller!). That is why I suggested the other countries. The driving is so easy and they maintain the roads nicely.

My kids love the flights. They get fed every couple of hours and there are nonstop movies and TV! We just take it super easy on the arrival day and next to catch up on sleep. On our first trip with my 4 yo he didn't sleep a wink and then was so excited to be on trains that we didn't get him to bed until 24 hours after we left home. Needless to say the next day was mostly a wash because he slept until late, late afternoon. He still doesn't sleep but he's almost an adult and can handle it better.

My only child was around your kids ages each time we did the TA. Now I only have one to corral but he was awesome well minus getting his head stuck in our hotel window in Barcelona but that's another story. He is also an easy kid and great traveler so didn't have to worry about him on planes or excursions. We did all excursions on our own and he still talks about some of them. Hoping to do transatlantic again next May after Hawaii this year.

The current TA has been very rough. They have cancelled ports trying to get back to NY. I read the same thing happened in 2017. The Westbound seems to encounter tougher seas. That may be a factor for you.

The current TA has been very rough. They have cancelled ports trying to get back to NY. I read the same thing happened in 2017. The Westbound seems to encounter tougher seas. That may be a factor for you.

Building on Goofy's statement - check out this thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/re-routed-due-to-hurricane-jerry.3770426/
It has convinced me that the 2021 EBTA is the one for me (even though I don't mind waves - I will mind cancelled port excursions) ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!