Trans couple too afraid to go to Florida - how accepting is Disneyland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sad that so many people have to worry about their safety while visiting the parks and the surrounding areas. I live just a couple of miles away and the atmosphere here is accepting. But then again, I'm a straight white male so I don't experience the "hazards" that trans people experience.

I'm really sad that so many people have to worry about their safety while visiting the parks and the surrounding areas. I live just a couple of miles away and the atmosphere here is accepting. But then again, I'm a straight white male so I don't experience the "hazards" that trans people experience.
I’m about 100 miles away to the southeast.
Very conservative area. While most here do not embrace that lifestyle, I TRULY know of no one who who would condone any sort of violence toward those who do embrace the gay lifestyle.
It’s a myth.

I’ve been to countries with significant travel advisories where there was actual tangible danger. I was fine, and I stood out more than anyone else. (Caucasian in a region where that’s uncommon, literally everyone stares. 100/100).

To categorize Florida in such fashion is laughable. Assuming you’re not purposely seeking out trouble in bad neighborhoods, which no one would no matter what the city/state/country, Florida is no more dangerous than any other random tourist spot on the map.

There was a lecture I heard about two years ago where depression/anxiety has never been higher than today, and the lecturer’s theory owed it to a lack of actual struggle. 2-3 generations ago, people had actual suffering and sacrifice, and that was the nature of life. People were mentally tougher because they could modulate between an actual crisis vs. an inconvenience. They had perspective. People didn’t have chronic anxiety for no apparent reason until recently. Today, we have magic cornucopias where struggle is defined as a shipping delay for an online order. The result: we have no perspective. When the worst thing that’s happened to most people is a gnat in their soup, everything becomes a tragedy. So, people are naturally more depressed and anxious today than they were with 25% unemployment and World Wars taking 100 million lives.

So when I hear Florida is under a travel advisory, I ask people go to a country with actual dangers. It’s rather eye opening. Florida is fine. Stop it.

Last edited:

I’ve been to countries with significant travel advisories where there was actual tangible danger. I was fine, and I stood out more than anyone else. (Caucasian in a region where that’s uncommon, literally everyone stares. 100/100).

To categorize Florida in such fashion is laughable. Assuming you’re not purposely seeking out trouble in bad neighborhoods, which no one would no matter what the city/state/country, Florida is no more dangerous than any other random tourist spot on the map.

There was a lecture I heard about two years ago where depression/anxiety has never been higher than today, and the lecturer’s theory owed it to a lack of actual struggle. 2-3 generations ago, people had actual suffering and sacrifice, and that was the nature of life. People were mentally tougher because they could modulate between an actual crisis vs. an inconvenience. They had perspective. People didn’t have chronic anxiety for no apparent reason until recently. Today, we have magic cornucopias where struggle is defined as a shipping delay for an online order. The result: we have no perspective. When the worst thing that’s happened to most people is a gnat in their soup, everything becomes a tragedy. So, people are naturally more depressed and anxious today than they were with 25% unemployment and World Wars taking 100 million lives.

So when I hear Florida is under a travel advisory, I ask people go to a country with actual dangers. It’s rather eye opening. Florida is fine. Stop it.
Oh no, a white person went somewhere and nothing happened to them. Call the news station.

LGBTQ people, especially trans people of color, are assaulted and even murdered just because of who they are. I'd say that's an actual crisis. Just because it isn't something YOU experience, doesn't mean it isn't real.

Oh no, a white person went somewhere and nothing happened to them. Call the news station.
Aww, expand your horizons and do some traveling abroad. Not cruise ports and tourist paths, but actually walk the life of a local. I’ve done that multiple times living abroad where the countries were 99% homogenous.

Funny thing about being an American is no matter your color/race, you’re not assumed to be a foreigner because this country is actually diverse.

Try going to most other places of the world, and you’ll automatically be assumed to be a foreigner just by existing. But I doubt you would venture that route.

Really? No one had chronic anxiety in the past? Or we just didn't have tools to diagnose/treat it?
I think the luxury of a Disney message board website where people discuss their upcoming $10,000 vacation speaks for itself. Life has never been easier, yet people today magnify anything.

Around Thanksgiving time I make it a point to read up on the Pilgrims, what they endured—-what life was like 400 years ago. They fled Europe with their faith alone. 102 men and women. They landed in the third week of November, on the eve of a brutal winter. With nothing.

45 died within the first few months; a 44% mortality rate. Every person aboard lost at least one family member/caretaker—and they watched it just feet away. Starvation, sickness, exposure to the frigid winter.

Months later they had a feast. 53 Pilgrims and 90 Wampanoag natives. Our first Thanksgiving, October 1621. What they endured in Europe. Actual persecution. King James was demanding Holland extradite them all for trial. What was their response? Resiliency.

People today would do well to pay homage to our ancestors. You don’t do what they did with chronic anxiety. So no, they didn’t have the luxury nor the energy to devote their efforts to depression over phantom issues.

I’m just trying to contemplate the parallel experiment where people today try to tell people 400 years ago they don’t know how bad people today have it.

I feel like you must know that white people are a global minority.
I’m guessing the type of person who you’re responding to wouldn’t dare travel abroad, and if so, wouldn’t leave the boundaries of their safe, all-inclusive resort, as they proceed to mock others who actually lived in countries with active no-go travel warnings from the State Department. I’ve lived with locals and walked their neighborhoods alone. Daily. Over 5 miles each way.

Florida is fine. Stop it.

Last edited:
LGBTQ people, especially trans people of color, are assaulted and even murdered just because of who they are. I'd say that's an actual crisis. Just because it isn't something YOU experience, doesn't mean it isn't real.
Source?

I live in an area with over 1 million people across 2 counties. The local news had a front page story of a person’s Pride flag ripped off their front porch. That’s obviously a crime and wrong, but if what you’re saying were accurate, a story about simple vandalism wouldn’t be the top story.

There have been dozens of murders recently and were beneath that vandalism story. So I’m guessing what you articulated is congruent with violent crime seen within the general population. In other words, there is no statistical anomaly. Hate and violence are wrong, but we’re seeing plenty of it in the random day-to-day.

Aww, expand your horizons and do some traveling abroad. Not cruise ports and tourist paths, but actually walk the life of a local. I’ve done that multiple times living abroad where the countries were 99% homogenous.

Funny thing about being an American is no matter your color/race, you’re not assumed to be a foreigner because this country is actually diverse.

Try going to most other places of the world, and you’ll automatically be assumed to be a foreigner just by existing. But I doubt you would venture that route.
It's cute how you want to be condescending and assume I'm american. And white. I'm neither :).

Really? No one had chronic anxiety in the past? Or we just didn't have tools to diagnose/treat it?
People didn’t have chronic anxiety for no apparent reason until recently.
As well, apparent to who? Unless Stank is a clinician, clinical anxiety wouldn’t have an apparent reason. Hence it’s a disorder. We all have anxiety for the apparent reasons.

As well, apparent to who? Unless Stank is a clinician, clinical anxiety wouldn’t have an apparent reason. Hence it’s a disorder. We all have anxiety for the apparent reasons.
I’m going to say something rather profound—that I dare observe and point out the extreme unlikelihood a cluster of unrelated individuals congregated online to discuss their next $10,000+ vacation—that such individuals are unlikely to have had meaningful, perspective-altering struggles.

It’s outlandish, I know. Such an assertion comes from a privileged perspective. As such, one simply cannot fully appreciate the travel risks associated with going to Florida. Why, it’s akin to walking the slums of Kinshasa.

Likewise, individuals from a slum won’t get hysterical over an Amazon shipping delay, while those taking luxury vacations grapple with it. Hence the unwarranted chronic anxiety due to lack of perspective, and why people today with smartphones, ubiquitous air conditioning and plentiful food find everything to complain about.

That indeed would be an apparent, and chronic, problem.

I think the luxury of a Disney message board website where people discuss their upcoming $10,000 vacation speaks for itself. Life has never been easier, yet people today magnify anything.

Around Thanksgiving time I make it a point to read up on the Pilgrims, what they endured—-what life was like 400 years ago. They fled Europe with their faith alone. 102 men and women. They landed in the third week of November, on the eve of a brutal winter. With nothing.

45 died within the first few months; a 44% mortality rate. Every person aboard lost at least one family member/caretaker—and they watched it just feet away. Starvation, sickness, exposure to the frigid winter.

Months later they had a feast. 53 Pilgrims and 90 Wampanoag natives. Our first Thanksgiving, October 1621. What they endured in Europe. Actual persecution. King James was demanding Holland extradite them all for trial. What was their response? Resiliency.

People today would do well to pay homage to our ancestors. You don’t do what they did with chronic anxiety. So no, they didn’t have the luxury nor the energy to devote their efforts to depression over phantom issues.

I’m just trying to contemplate the parallel experiment where people today try to tell people 400 years ago they don’t know how bad people today have it.
I have a master’s degree in history, but thanks for the history lesson. Still doesn’t prove nobody ever had anxiety or depression! Hint: it’s probably most people who killed themselves in the past.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter