Trans Atlantic Travel with Infant Advice ~ Update Post #42

Our travel system came with a car seat and a toddler seat, both which lock into the stroller and the car port. It's a teutonia. I emailed the manufacturer and they said the toddler seat component was not FAA approved and as you know in order to use it on the plane it has to have the FAA approval sticker on it. I will do what I have to do, it's actually not a cost issue but more of a bulk issue. Purchasing another "toddler faa approved" seat for him to use on the plane is something I really don't want to do, HOWEVER, I will if we need to. I believe that Graco just purchased Teutonia so i am wondering if the Graco seats would be work with ours? Hmmm because then we could leave the Teutonia one at home and just bring the FAA approved one with us as it would clip into the car latch? Hmmmm. . . gotta wonder on that one.

Oh, my ... I have an uneasy feeling that you may be laboring under a misapprehansion. This is a Teutonia T-system, no? (Strollers are sort of a hobby of mine, I'm interesting in the engineering of them.)

The "toddler seat" unit that is part of that stroller system is NOT an automobile safety seat and cannot be used in conjunction with the LATCH base; it is meant to be used on the stroller frame only. I just looked at the owner's manual online to confirm it, and it's there on the first page in big letters: "DO NOT USE CARRYCOT OR SEAT UNIT IN AN AUTOMOBILE."

This is the issue: that isn't a toddler carseat; you cannot use it in a plane OR in a car. I would be VERY surprised if you could still fit a 15 mo into an infant carseat, especially a boy (my boy outgrew his infant seat by 8 months). Once he outgrows that infant carseat you are going to need to purchase a toddler carseat for use in cars; actually, if you have two cars you are going to need to purchase two of them, because toddler seats are difficult to correctly install in a car, and you won't want to take it out once you get it in properly. (Toddler carseats are called "convertible carseats" because they can be used either backward- or forward-facing, depending on the weight and age of the child. Some models also can be used as high-back booster seats once the child gets old enough, to use it that way you remove the 5-point harness and use the automobile 3-point seatbelt instead.)

It's that new seat that will need to be FAA-approved so that it can be used on board an aircraft. FWIW, toddler carseats are never made to be attached to a stroller frame as a travel system; like I said they are way too difficult to take in and out of a vehicle to make that a practical idea.
However, in my experience, narrower-frame toddler seats can be easily propped into the seat of a full-sized reclined stroller in order to transport them through an airport; just use a tight bungee cord to secure it to the stroller frame. (You wouldn't want to do this outdoors on a possibly-bumpy sidewalk; not safe. However, indoors walking through an airport for 30 minutes or so I always considered it safe enough as long as the bungee was good and secure.)

Oh, my ... I have an uneasy feeling that you may be laboring under a misapprehansion. This is a Teutonia T-system, no? (Strollers are sort of a hobby of mine, I'm interesting in the engineering of them.)

The "toddler seat" unit that is part of that stroller system is NOT an automobile safety seat and cannot be used in conjunction with the LATCH base; it is meant to be used on the stroller frame only. I just looked at the owner's manual online to confirm it, and it's there on the first page in big letters: "DO NOT USE CARRYCOT OR SEAT UNIT IN AN AUTOMOBILE."

This is the issue: that isn't a toddler carseat; you cannot use it in a plane OR in a car. I would be VERY surprised if you could still fit a 15 mo into an infant carseat, especially a boy (my boy outgrew his infant seat by 8 months). Once he outgrows that infant carseat you are going to need to purchase a toddler carseat for use in cars; actually, if you have two cars you are going to need to purchase two of them, because toddler seats are difficult to correctly install in a car, and you won't want to take it out once you get it in properly. (Toddler carseats are called "convertible carseats" because they can be used either backward- or forward-facing, depending on the weight and age of the child. Some models also can be used as high-back booster seats once the child gets old enough, to use it that way you remove the 5-point harness and use the automobile 3-point seatbelt instead.)

It's that new seat that will need to be FAA-approved so that it can be used on board an aircraft. FWIW, toddler carseats are never made to be attached to a stroller frame as a travel system; like I said they are way too difficult to take in and out of a vehicle to make that a practical idea.
However, in my experience, narrower-frame toddler seats can be easily propped into the seat of a full-sized reclined stroller in order to transport them through an airport; just use a tight bungee cord to secure it to the stroller frame. (You wouldn't want to do this outdoors on a possibly-bumpy sidewalk; not safe. However, indoors walking through an airport for 30 minutes or so I always considered it safe enough as long as the bungee was good and secure.)

OH MY SWEET JESUS!!!! We were going to switch him out in the next couple of weeks! He's still cozy right now. Jesus Pizza Batman! Thank you so much for catching that or should I say having such a hobby! Shoot to me wouldn't you expect that a "Travel System" would cover this stuff? Hmm ok one step at a time now. . . Back to amazon to find a new car seat. . . Cr@pballs!

OH MY SWEET JESUS!!!! We were going to switch him out in the next couple of weeks! He's still cozy right now. Jesus Pizza Batman! Thank you so much for catching that or should I say having such a hobby! Shoot to me wouldn't you expect that a "Travel System" would cover this stuff? Hmm ok one step at a time now. . . Back to amazon to find a new car seat. . . Cr@pballs!

You are so very welcome.

If you plan to use your regular toddler carseat on planes also, you might try to be sure to buy one that is no more than 17 inches wide at the base. It is hard to fit a carseat with a wider base properly into an plane seat.

OK so not only do you have to have a toddler stroller but you need a toddler car seat and both of those have to be separate correct? Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out how to condence the baggage load.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

The good news is that you are still set with regards to your stroller when he outgrows the infant seat (or even before). Also good news is that you get to pick and choose the right toddler car seat for your needs. (Don't tell any of the car seat nazis, but we went right from infant seat to forward facing with both of our kids. Mum's the word.)

Remember that the car seat is unlikely to actually say 'FAA approved'. It will likely say something like 'certified for use in aircraft' instead.

Regarding ease of removal and replacement of a toddler seat: They certainly are not as simple as snapping an infant seat into a base, but they aren't super difficult, either. If you have a newer car, you likely have LATCH connectors. If so, seat installation is as simple as snapping the straps to the LATCH connectors and tightening them up. Removal is just the opposite. Loosen the straps and unhook them from the LATCH connector. In my opinion, tightening the seats down is pretty easy for a shorter person to do. I'm pretty short, so I just hop on top of the carseat, allowing my weight to push it down into the vehicle's seat. I then pull the tightening strap and I'm done. That's all there is to do it. This is how our local PD's carseat guru advised and it's super quick and easy. Having a seat for each car is still easier, but removing the seat to use in a rental or in an airplane is quick and straight forward.

OK so not only do you have to have a toddler stroller but you need a toddler car seat and both of those have to be separate correct? Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out how to condence the baggage load.

Once the child outgrows the infant car seat, you won't use that any more. The other seat that came with your stroller will be the child's seat while in the stroller (and only in the stroller).

You'll just need to choose a new seat for him to use in the car.

OK so not only do you have to have a toddler stroller but you need a toddler car seat and both of those have to be separate correct? Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out how to condense the baggage load.

And there is the rub, and that's why I said that "travel system" is such an oxymoron, because the darn things are NOT the best strollers for travel.

You are going to have a hard time with that Teutonia on a plane. The reason why is that it is not a stroller that can be easily or really safely gate-checked. Stroller seats that snap on are at very high risk for getting damaged by airline handlers, because the connection mechanism is delicate. Normally, with a stroller like that, the airlines will recommend that you box it and check it as luggage. If you gate-check it, the recommendation would be that you remove the seat from the frame and have the pieces taken on board separately, but if you do that on Aer Lingus, it is nearly a sure bet that only the frame will come back to you at the gate on the other end -- with no wheels on it, the seat component will not be recognized as part of a stroller and is likely to be sent to baggage claim.

What I would recommend is this: trade strollers with a friend or relative for your trip if you can. See if you can borrow a lighter weight one-piece stroller for the trip. (Or buy one used off Craigslist.) Peg Plikos are still a bit heavy for compact strollers, but it has an advantage for travel with a toddler carseat because it has a front bar; it is very easy to prop the carseat on it to maneuver through the airport. (The Pliko Si is lighter than the P3). Doing that is more difficult on a stroller without a bar. A small jogging stroller such as a City Mini would be a good choice for tooling about country lanes in the West of Ireland, but again there is that issue of fitting it in the boot of the average Irish car.

Something else that I have not seen anyone else mention: make sure you pack snacks that you know he loves and will want, and a few new toys or activities in your checked luggage and SAVE THEM FOR THE FLIGHT HOME.

That's a great idea! A PP also mentioned having another family member or friend sit in front of us. I am going to see about getting my parents infront of us when I call today. That would cut down on the annoying a stranger should the kicking start. I will make sure to have socks on him too though. Great idea!!
Yes, taking the shoes off DOES help, and I am so glad you are going to try to get your parents in front of him:thumbsup2

Wow! I am so glad you knew that and realized the issue and alerted the OP:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter