Trans Atlantic Travel with Infant Advice ~ Update Post #42

I want to add, that if you do move out of bulkhead, the one thing that row really does for you is there is no one for you to worry about your child kicking the back of. The best thing to do is seat one person in your party directly in front of the seat your child will be in ( even on his own, and especially as a lap child). This will mean you have less stress and do not have to worry so much if he does kick since it will be someone with you who is being bothered by it.

I wish someone had told us this. We flew JFK-LAX when DD was 2. She was in her carseat and happy as could be. (Didn't sleep at all but didn't fuss either.. she was used to not asking to get out of the carseat.) But her little feet were about 2 inches from the back of the seat in front of her. No matter how many times we corrected her, or tried to hold her feet I know the man in front of her was not happy.

They are 11/13 now and we always sit in the back of the plane. If there are empty seats that's where they will be. No pressure to load/unload bags and right near the bathroom. I just feel like we are much less of a distraction to others back there, and everyone is more relaxed. There is usually an attendant hanging out there too if we need anything.

Have fun OP!

I'm back!

OK so even before having read all of your great responses I called Aer Lingus this afternoon and purchased my DS his own seat. After reading my initial response/ idea I still can't believe I thought I could do it. Pure, utter, stupidity on my part. :rolleyes: OMG, Sheesh, my blood sugar must have been low because I certainly wasn't thinking correctly:upsidedow

We are in back of the plane as well. We can no longer sit in the bulk head area because DS is not considered an infant. The pp who mentioned that I should be prepared for the worst was absolutely right and that is how I am going to plan it. Extra clothes for the both of us; extra diapers, extra food and I'm a hopeful by then he will be drinking Milk but I will some extra bottled water by then too after security. I even have contacted the company who makes our travel system stroller and was very surprised to find out that although our car seat is FAA approved the Toddler seat isn't. I am going to borrow one from a friend as we are gate checking the stroller. My son is a big child so there is a special harness system as well that I read about that I am going to investigate more. It is FAA approved and called the CARES system. Not saying I'm using it just looking at it.

My DS is my first child. I am learning as I go along. No, I'm not excusing the stupitity of my idea. I realize it was that, plain stupid and I can't believe I actually thought that this was an option. Thank you all for being honest with me. Next stop, in a few months, Amazon for some quiet toys for a 15 month old. A drum set perhaps? A couple of whistles? :scared: Just kidding!!!:goodvibes

Thanks again.
E

I'm back!

OK so even before having read all of your great responses I called Aer Lingus this afternoon and purchased my DS his own seat. After reading my initial response/ idea I still can't believe I thought I could do it. Pure, utter, stupidity on my part. :rolleyes: OMG, Sheesh, my blood sugar must have been low because I certainly wasn't thinking correctly:upsidedow

We are in back of the plane as well. The pp who mentioned that I should be prepared for the worst was absolutely right and that is how I am going to plan it. Extra clothes for the both of us; extra diapers, extra food and I'm a hopeful by then he will be drinking Milk but I will some extra bottled water by then too. I even have contacted the company who makes our travel system stroller and was very surprised to find out that although our car seat is FAA approved the Toddler seat isn't. I am going to borrow one from a friend as we are gate checking the stroller. My son is a big child so there is a special harness system as well that I read about that I am going to investigate more. It is FAA approved and called the CARES system. Not saying I'm using it just looking at it.

My DS is my first child. I am learning as I go along. No, I'm not excusing the stupitity of my idea. I realize it was that, plain stupid and I can't believe I actually thought that this was an option. Thank you all for being honest with me. Next stop, in a few months, Amazon for some quiet toys for a 15 month old. A drum set perhaps? A couple of whistles? :scared: Just kidding!!!:goodvibes

Thanks again.
E

You'll have to buy that post-security. Although you can bring milk for you son (enough for traveling is exempt from the 3-1-1 rule), water is not exempt from the rule. It is, however, really easy to get post security (as opposed to formula/milk).

Depending on the size/temperment of your son, the CARES harness is a great idea.

My DS is my first child. I am learning as I go along. No, I'm not excusing the stupitity of my idea. I realize it was that, plain stupid and I can't believe I actually thought that this was an option. Thank you all for being honest with me.

To be fair, I imagine many first time parents would think to do the same! As a non-parent, I get the impression that parenthood is a massive, ongoing learning exercise, and no-one knows exactly what to do in every situation from the get-go, so don't beat yourself up. We're lucky to have the internet these days so we can find other people who have been there, done that and can advise on what not to do. Have a great, safe trip! :goodvibes

You'll have to buy that post-security. Although you can bring milk for you son (enough for traveling is exempt from the 3-1-1 rule), water is not exempt from the rule. It is, however, really easy to get post security (as opposed to formula/milk).

Depending on the size/temperment of your son, the CARES harness is a great idea.

You are absolutely correct. I know that one:-) just neglected to put that in. I did edit. Thanks!

He's a big boy for his age so I am definately looking at options. Alot will depend on his temperment at travel time:-)

I'm back!

We are in back of the plane as well. We can no longer sit in the bulk head area because DS is not considered an infant. The pp who mentioned that I should be prepared for the worst was absolutely right and that is how I am going to plan it. Extra clothes for the both of us; extra diapers, extra food and I'm a hopeful by then he will be drinking Milk but I will some extra bottled water by then too after security. I even have contacted the company who makes our travel system stroller and was very surprised to find out that although our car seat is FAA approved the Toddler seat isn't. I am going to borrow one from a friend as we are gate checking the stroller. My son is a big child so there is a special harness system as well that I read about that I am going to investigate more. It is FAA approved and called the CARES system. Not saying I'm using it just looking at it.

Thanks again.
E

Don't beat yourself up over it - it's pretty much impossible to think through all of the potential problems on your own.

I'm actually pretty impressed that you really listened to everyone's advice. Most people just get pissy and leave when everyone points out potential flaws in their plans. I think you're going to be much happier this way.

And I would definitely use the cares harness instead of a car seat.

To be fair, I imagine many first time parents would think to do the same! As a non-parent, I get the impression that parenthood is a massive, ongoing learning exercise, and no-one knows exactly what to do in every situation from the get-go, so don't beat yourself up. We're lucky to have the internet these days so we can find other people who have been there, done that and can advise on what not to do. Have a great, safe trip! :goodvibes

Thank you!

You are absolutely correct. I know that one:-) just neglected to put that in. I did edit. Thanks!

He's a big boy for his age so I am definately looking at options. Alot will depend on his temperment at travel time:-)

Good...good. Just wanted to make sure. With all the travel rules it is hard enough for a solo adult travel - throwing in your first overseas flight with a little one can make it feel almost impossible.

Glad you are taking the advice as meant. Hope you have a good flight and a grest trip.

I'm back!

Thanks again.
E

:thumbsup2 You are doing great! There are lots of surprises when you are raising children. I admire that you are planning ahead and seeking advice!

I hope you have a wonderful trip! :cheer2:

I would totally check the stroller/car seat and get the CARES harness if the seat isn't FAA approved to use on the plane.

Good luck!!

Hi! I am flying overseas with a 23 month old on Wednesday. Just the two of us. We have done it three times before but I am anticipating things might be different or more challenging this time. I don't know if this will help you or not but here is our 'routine' and carry-on list.
I get her her own seat (and bring a carseat - a light Cosco Scenera that i can hook to her stroller to transport - a light peg pergo umbrella folding style stroller that i gate check)
I book 'comfort class' - where the seats are further apart so she can't kick the seat in front.

In our (her) backpack I have
Leappad with videos and e-books
9 new books she has never seen before
decks of cards (flash cards) from the dollar store
mini toy farm animal set from the dollar store
mini baby doll set from the dollar store
various small toys i know she likes but i hid away for the last few weeks
slinky's from the dollar store
stickers and sticker books from the dollar store
My iPhone loaded with all her favourite shows
Big earphones (she has used them before, no problem, I always check the volume)
baby advil, tylenol and benedril
sippy cup, bottle, wipes, diapers, bib, spoon
little ziplock bags with goldfish, chex, cheerios, vegetable crackers, fruit snacks, 'fruit to go' bars, etc.
In case of total meltdown when all else fails (never had to use before but you never know)
ring pop
Lolipop
Junior Mints (okay, probably for me)

Plus for me - excedrin, robax, adivan (never had to use but just in case), and if and when she falls asleep I have a lovely vodka and sprite.
Nothing else in the bag except our passports, money, credit cards, etc!
Last time I took a portable dvd player but I think the leap pad and iPhone will work this time....I hope.

It will be a marathon and I don't expect to sleep. When we get to Amsterdam my husband will be waiting!
Again, don't know if any of this will help but I am sure you will have a good trip!
Oh, and if anyone has any other suggestions for me, let me know (not meaning to hijack the thread though)
:goodvibes

Oh, I just saw you were flying Aer Lingus - when we flew them they would not let me put my daughter in her carseat for take off and landing and I had to have a seatbelt connected to my belt to put around her on my lap. On KLM they let me use the carseat but have said NO to Cares Harness. Air Transat, American, etc have all been fine.

Hi! I am flying overseas with a 23 month old on Wednesday. Just the two of us. We have done it three times before but I am anticipating things might be different or more challenging this time. I don't know if this will help you or not but here is our 'routine' and carry-on list.
I get her her own seat (and bring a carseat - a light Cosco Scenera that i can hook to her stroller to transport - a light peg pergo umbrella folding style stroller that i gate check)
I book 'comfort class' - where the seats are further apart so she can't kick the seat in front.

little ziplock bags with goldfish, chex, cheerios, vegetable crackers, fruit snacks, 'fruit to go' bars, etc.
In case of total meltdown when all else fails (never had to use before but you never know)
ring pop
Lolipop

Plus for me - excedrin, robax, adivan (never had to use but just in case), and if and when she falls asleep I have a lovely vodka and sprite.
Last time I took a portable dvd player but I think the leap pad and iPhone will work this time....I hope.

It will be a marathon and I don't expect to sleep. When we get to Amsterdam my husband will be waiting!
Again, don't know if any of this will help but I am sure you will have a good trip!
Oh, and if anyone has any other suggestions for me, let me know (not meaning to hijack the thread though)

Oh, I just saw you were flying Aer Lingus - when we flew them they would not let me put my daughter in her carseat for take off and landing and I had to have a seatbelt connected to my belt to put around her on my lap. On KLM they let me use the carseat but have said NO to Cares Harness. Air Transat, American, etc have all been fine.

Great planning! My only additional advice is to wrap some of those toys and snacks up like presents. I used tissue paper and did it quick and messy. ;) No toddler can resist brightly wrapped gifts and many like unwrapping the toys as much as the toys themselves. It helps keep the kid's attention an buys you a few more minutes. :thumbsup2

I'm back!

Thanks again.
E

I think you (and your DS!) will have a MUCH better flight after the changes! Hopefully the engine noise will drown everything else out and let him sleep the whole time. Still pack enough stuff to entertain him as if you planned on him being awake the whole time. And don't do like I did and not bring something for yourself! We had a short flight home from WDW and I had planned on entertaining him the whole time, so I didn't bring a single thing for myself. Right at takeoff, he was out like a light and I had an hour and a half to twiddle my thumbs. :lmao: Now I always bring something (my Nook or earbuds for my iPhone) that I don't plan to use, but I have just in case. Best of luck with your long flight!

To echo everyone else:

Seats toward the back of the plane. On flights that don't typically go out completely full, we choose seats in the center section as people like those less anyway and will be more likely want to move from there to get away from the family with a baby.

Bring more snacks, drinks, and toys than you could possibly end up needing. We learned that lesson after a four hour delay in Paris with our seven month old daughter. Thank God for airport apple juice.

Make sure that some of those snacks/drinks are something that he would never refuse as you want him drinking/chewing during ascent/descent so his ears don't hurt.

Buy the extra seat if possible and use the car seat that your child is already used to traveling in. Don't get some lightweight thing just for convenience. By using your child's own seat, you are keeping the trip more normal which will allow for easier sleeping (for everyone on the plane, actually).

Use your stroller in the airport and gate check it. We made the trip with our Peg Perego Switch. It made for easy transport of Sarah in her car seat. Once at the gate, we slid it into an oversized travel bag that we bought on amazon. Also in the bag was a ton of extra diapers for the trip. This saved us from an extra bag fee and allowed us not to have to worry about sourcing diapers while on our two-week Baltic trip.

Hi again. There was one bit in your new post that caught my eye; it was this:

I even have contacted the company who makes our travel system stroller and was very surprised to find out that although our car seat is FAA approved the Toddler seat isn't. I am going to borrow one from a friend as we are gate checking the stroller.

What caught my eye was the oxymoron "travel system". (Not that you are at fault for it, I know that the companies coined the term. ) The thing is, those "system" strollers are usually the very worst ones to use whilst really traveling, especially in Europe. For one thing they are a real bear to use on trains and buses. I know you're headed to Kerry and will mostly be traveling by car, but whose car, and how large is it? I always have trouble getting even my Maclaren Techno into the boot of an Irish saloon car, and I know that the average US "travel system" stroller will probably never fit unless your parents drive a full-sized people-mover.

Also, I'm not just surprised to find that your toddler carseat is not FAA approved; I'm amazed, and I think you should double-check to make sure that the information that you received is correct. AFAIK, every convertible toddler carseat currently being sold in the US *is* approved for aircraft, as long as it is being used with the 5-pt harness in place. Note that the labels do not SAY "FAA Approved", which can be confusing. See this website for photos and good details of the approval info: http://www.jetwithkids.com/blog/infant-toddler-car-seat-faa-approval
(Yes, I know that it isn't an official FAA site, but the author uses closeup photos and her info is accurate with regard to US law.
THIS http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC 120-87B.pdf is the official word, and I would recommend that JUST before you leave, you print out a copy of the current version of this document, fold it up and put it in an envelope, and tape the envelope to the back of the seat. It is VERY handy to have it to hand if you need to show it to a gate agent or FA to bolster your argument that your seat is indeed approved as long as the harness is in use. The caveat being that since Aer Lingus isn't a US company, they cannot be fined if they don't allow it.)

The CARES harness is a good idea if you cannot use a harnessed carseat on board (not being a US-based carrier, Aer Lingus is *not* required to allow you to use one even if it is FAA-approved, and I know that they never allow carseats of any kind to be installed rear-facing.) UPDATE: I checked the Aer Lingus website, and this is their current policy.
Infants (between 6-24 months)
If the infant reaches the age of 2 years prior to the return journey they must pay the applicable fare, taxes, fees and charges for that part of the journey.

Aer Lingus Flights (Not applicable to Aer Lingus Regional)

Infants between 6 months and two years old can sit on the adults' knee and will be charged a flat rate of €20/£19 or equivalent per one way flight on all shorthaul routes or 10% of the adult fare on flights from/to the USA.
Car type safety seats may be used by children aged between 6 months and less than 36 months - in order to accommodate a child aged 36 months or older in a car seat; the child must be within the size and weight limits for that seat and special IAA approval is required, please contact specialassistance@aerlingus.com as soon as possible in advance of the flight.
Passengers may purchase a seat for the infant at the appropriate fare where the infant can sit in an approved, forward facing car seat provided by the passenger. The car seat must be restrained on the aircraft seat by the normal aircraft lap strap. Aer Lingus do not permit rearward facing car seats. The seat must be a purpose-designed children's car seat with a 5-point harness and must be of a type approved for use in motor vehicles and aircraft and bearing labels to this effect:
US – “Certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft”.
Europe – European Standard Mark
In order to ensure the car seat will fit into the aircraft seat please ensure the seat width does not exceed 17 inches (430mm).
Infants are not permitted to occupy exit rows or the rows immediately forward or aft of an emergency exit row.
http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/travellingwithchildren/#d.en.4558
I'd also print that out just before leaving (in case of any changes between now and then) and add it to your handy-dandy envelope. Employees don't always keep current on company policy, but if you have a dated printout, you are on firmer ground for (poliitely, of course) asking them to go and check the manual before making a decision.

This thing is, I have to tell you that 15 mo of age is PRIME squirming age. (I've done this flight at EXACTLY that age, not once but twice, with the addition of an extra hop up to Donegal after landing in Shannon.) I'd lay book on the average child that age being determined to escape a CARES harness the first chance that he gets, and since the CARES does not have a strap running between the legs, it isn't that hard for a determined child to do. I'm not against the CARES harness, you understand; I think It is a great option for children over age 2, but I personally wouldn't try to depend on one to keep a child of 15 mo contained on a transatlantic overnight flight unless it was the only option that the airline would allow me to use (or if I was not going to be using a private car at all at my destination and did not want to take a carseat that I could not use once arrived.)

Anyway, good luck with the trip, and be sure to pack some good rain gear for your little one so he can play outside on soft days. A good one-piece rainsuit is wonderful for that, along with some wellies.

PS: For the poster who asked what to bring on the plane. In addition to distractions and spare clothing for BOTH of you. (Kids have been known to get airsick whilst in Mom's arms, trust me!), be sure to carry 24 hours' worth of essential food/drinks and diapering supplies in your carryon. Delays can happen, and while most airports are NOT well-stocked with nursery needs, planes have nothing, and if you get stranded on a runway for hours you will need them. It is actually especially likely to happen in midssummer, because lightning causes ground-stops that can back up operations badly at an int'l hub.

PPS: Be careful with the wrapped gifts idea. That can sometimes be a problem when going through Security at airports; they may insist on removing the wrapping on any item that seems to have metal inside it.

ring pop
Lolipop

I have read that about Aer Lingus as well. I plan on calling them today to confirm that the CARES harnes can be used but I have also heard it is up to the flight crew. I don't want to "finger cross" this and hope it works out. To much at stake.

Great planning! My only additional advice is to wrap some of those toys and snacks up like presents. I used tissue paper and did it quick and messy. ;) No toddler can resist brightly wrapped gifts and many like unwrapping the toys as much as the toys themselves. It helps keep the kid's attention an buys you a few more minutes. :thumbsup2

That's a great idea! Thank you!

I think you (and your DS!) will have a MUCH better flight after the changes! Hopefully the engine noise will drown everything else out and let him sleep the whole time. Still pack enough stuff to entertain him as if you planned on him being awake the whole time. And don't do like I did and not bring something for yourself! We had a short flight home from WDW and I had planned on entertaining him the whole time, so I didn't bring a single thing for myself. Right at takeoff, he was out like a light and I had an hour and a half to twiddle my thumbs. :lmao: Now I always bring something (my Nook or earbuds for my iPhone) that I don't plan to use, but I have just in case. Best of luck with your long flight!

I will have my Kindle with me and I am still going to invest in a nap sack for DS as if we do go with the CARES system this will allow him to snuggle up.

To echo everyone else:

Seats toward the back of the plane. On flights that don't typically go out completely full, we choose seats in the center section as people like those less anyway and will be more likely want to move from there to get away from the family with a baby.

Bring more snacks, drinks, and toys than you could possibly end up needing. We learned that lesson after a four hour delay in Paris with our seven month old daughter. Thank God for airport apple juice.

Make sure that some of those snacks/drinks are something that he would never refuse as you want him drinking/chewing during ascent/descent so his ears don't hurt.

Buy the extra seat if possible and use the car seat that your child is already used to traveling in. Don't get some lightweight thing just for convenience. By using your child's own seat, you are keeping the trip more normal which will allow for easier sleeping (for everyone on the plane, actually).

Use your stroller in the airport and gate check it. We made the trip with our Peg Perego Switch. It made for easy transport of Sarah in her car seat. Once at the gate, we slid it into an oversized travel bag that we bought on amazon. Also in the bag was a ton of extra diapers for the trip. This saved us from an extra bag fee and allowed us not to have to worry about sourcing diapers while on our two-week Baltic trip.

I really wanted to use the car seat we have but I am afraid with the way he is growing that he won't fit into it by December. He more than likely wil be in the toddler seat by October if not earlier. :crazy2: The problem with the toddler seat is that although it is car safe it is NOT FAA approved which really irks me considering we paid alot of money for this "Travel System" and now come to find out that the Toddler Seat isn't FAA approved. This is somehting that I am going to warn/advise future mommies who are traveling to look into with their travel systems.

I really wanted to use the car seat we have but I am afraid with the way he is growing that he won't fit into it by December. He more than likely wil be in the toddler seat by October if not earlier. :crazy2: The problem with the toddler seat is that although it is car safe it is NOT FAA approved which really irks me considering we paid alot of money for this "Travel System" and now come to find out that the Toddler Seat isn't FAA approved. This is somehting that I am going to warn/advise future mommies who are traveling to look into with their travel systems.
I'm at a bit of a loss simply because I can't think of a travel system that comes with a toddler seat. Perhaps I am just misunderstanding the term. My idea of a travel system is a stroller with an infant car seat that can lock onto it.

Regarding aircraft approval for toddler seats, our Graco Argos seats are approved for aircraft use when using the 5-point harness, but not in 'booster'-mode. It's possible that your toddler seat is acceptable for how it will be used on the aircraft. What seat do you have?

My piece of advice--when he is sitting in his seat on the plane, whether in car seat or with a harness, take his shoes off. It is more fun to kick with your shoes on then with them off (probably due to the weight of the shoes on dangling legs that don't reach the floor.) If he does do some kicking, it will not feel as good to him --his toes will hurt-- and definitely won't be as annoying to the person in front of him.

I wish that all parents would take the shoes off of kids whose feet don't touch the ground and have the ability to kick the seat in front of them. Get some of those soft slippers to put on their feet or have slip on shoes available to put on quickly for the trips to the bathroom. This is such a small thing, but very courteous and respectful of those seated around you.

I'm at a bit of a loss simply because I can't think of a travel system that comes with a toddler seat. Perhaps I am just misunderstanding the term. My idea of a travel system is a stroller with an infant car seat that can lock onto it.

Regarding aircraft approval for toddler seats, our Graco Argos seats are approved for aircraft use when using the 5-point harness, but not in 'booster'-mode. It's possible that your toddler seat is acceptable for how it will be used on the aircraft. What seat do you have?

Our travel system came with a car seat and a toddler seat, both which lock into the stroller and the car port. It's a teutonia. I emailed the manufacturer and they said the toddler seat component was not FAA approved and as you know in order to use it on the plane it has to have the FAA approval sticker on it. I will do what I have to do, it's actually not a cost issue but more of a bulk issue. Purchasing another "toddler faa approved" seat for him to use on the plane is something I really don't want to do, HOWEVER, I will if we need to. I believe that Graco just purchased Teutonia so i am wondering if the Graco seats would be work with ours? Hmmm because then we could leave the Teutonia one at home and just bring the FAA approved one with us as it would clip into the car latch? Hmmmm. . . gotta wonder on that one.

My piece of advice--when he is sitting in his seat on the plane, whether in car seat or with a harness, take his shoes off. It is more fun to kick with your shoes on then with them off (probably due to the weight of the shoes on dangling legs that don't reach the floor.) If he does do some kicking, it will not feel as good to him --his toes will hurt-- and definitely won't be as annoying to the person in front of him.

I wish that all parents would take the shoes off of kids whose feet don't touch the ground and have the ability to kick the seat in front of them. Get some of those soft slippers to put on their feet or have slip on shoes available to put on quickly for the trips to the bathroom. This is such a small thing, but very courteous and respectful of those seated around you.

That's a great idea! A PP also mentioned having another family member or friend sit in front of us. I am going to see about getting my parents infront of us when I call today. That would cut down on the annoying a stranger should the kicking start. I will make sure to have socks on him too though. Great idea!!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter