Train could pass though Disney World

I hope this doesn’t impact the future building of more parking garages. There’s a lot more citrus to be used

Given that is is meant to be a through station, I would think they wouldn't put it there because it would have to be a stub station which would require reversing the train, which would require a brake test, etc. But I'm not even sure how they are getting the tracks there anyways...
Then this will be farther away from DS and likely much closer to I4.

Given that is is meant to be a through station, I would think they wouldn't put it there because it would have to be a stub station which would require reversing the train, which would require a brake test, etc. But I'm not even sure how they are getting the tracks there anyways...
This is my question as well. Given how many local city council meetings/public comments Brightline execs had to sit through for years just to get the WPB stretch approved (and there were already train tracks there for the most part, it was just about the increased frequency of trains), I'm genuinely curious what hurdles/meetings they'll have to face to get this approved. Yes, Orlando is more tourism-focused, but at the end of the day, very few people quickly embrace train tracks appearing in their backyard.

Given what I know about Brightline, and their financial situation, they announced 2-3 years but realistically they are looking at 5-10. Assuming they can stay in business that long. I think it's a brilliant idea, and linking it to Disney Springs, if it can be done through the road and building congestion in that area, turns Disney Springs into the shopping and restaurant hub to the resort and park spokes that Disney has always wanted for regional guests.

I hope it works out. I hope Brightline survives long enough to build at least most of this line, then does the typical bankruptcy/refinancing that lowers the insane costs these projects require. Because if they infrastructure can get built, then the eventual upside is amazing. That being said, whoever pays for the initial infrastructure will never be able to carry the debt load unless it is heavily subsidized or reduced through bankruptcy.

Still, this would be great for Disney. An easy way to bring in guests, have a luggage team there to send things on to resorts, let guests shop and eat and relax for the half day, then transport them to resorts for the rest of their vacation. Do the reverse on exit. It really could be an amazing guest experience and drive so much traffic to Disney Springs. If it can be extended to Tampa and Atlanta at some point Disney would have massive control over flow for huge numbers of regional guests taking mass transit instead of ceding that control to the airports.

This would be a fair sized blow to Universal and a boon to eventual construction of a Skyliner or other non-bus transport from Disney Springs. Again, a long term thing as I doubt any of us expect much infrastructure investment from Disney for a few years. We shall see. I think 2-3 years is one of those things companies say because if it is actually 5+, people just won't care. If you say 2-3 and show some movement and then delay and delay, people get tired of the delays, but they still look forward to it happening eventually!

Boy it's a tight fit to go anywhere next to DS. Aligning a route to 417 and I-4 is likely as discussed but getting it to transition from the 417 corridor to the I-4 corridor is gonna require something to give or an extended elevated section.

In DS, I could see a station being built onto the Grapefruit garage, and then converting some of the space to the pickup and dropoff areas needed. a DME bus pickup with arriving passengers for resorts. Taxis for others. Walkway for shoppers. We're not talking about a train every hour ... more likely a few a day I would think.

If Disney had the idea to convert DME to trains and run many trains, I suspect they would be expected to ante up big time and would need a higher capacity station than the meager space at DS can allow. So I think it's for a few trains a day and no change to DME buses from the airport.

Just to caution: this is still quite a ways away. Brightline services are currently suspended and have been for months, and while construction continues on the Phase II construction (WPB to MCO), that continues to see delays and it’s going to take the company some time to recover (like many other travel businesses of course). So I think this won’t come to fruition for quite some time.
Under the current circumstances the announcement this morning seems incredibly optimistic and highly unlikely in a 2-3 year time frame. Color me skeptical. Not to say I don't love it, I'm all in and hope it comes to fruition.:)

It's incredibly optimistic since there are no train tracks, nor is there any agreement with FDOT to put in a line along I-4, or any agreement for a joint use with CSX to use their line from the Airport to get to I-4. This announcement is only between Brightline and WDW.

As I understand it the completion to MCO won't even be completed until 2022, and given nothing has been started on the Tampa extension (that I know of), and how fast (ha!) these things move, I don't expect it for at least four years.

What are the odds on them adding a "Magical Express" shuttle train to replace the buses, at least to DS and then quicker runs to the resorts?

As I understand it the completion to MCO won't even be completed until 2022, and given nothing has been started on the Tampa extension (that I know of), and how fast (ha!) these things move, I don't expect it for at least four years.

What are the odds on them adding a "Magical Express" shuttle train to replace the buses, at least to DS and then quicker runs to the resorts?

That would be interesting. They'd still have to run buses to the train station at the airport because the station is way out away from the terminals. I think I'd prefer taking a train to taking a bus, especially if they still handled your luggage from the plane. It would be nice to be able to hop straight in to Disney Springs or hop on a bus to one of the parks.

That would be interesting. They'd still have to run buses to the train station at the airport because the station is way out away from the terminals. I think I'd prefer taking a train to taking a bus, especially if they still handled your luggage from the plane. It would be nice to be able to hop straight in to Disney Springs or hop on a bus to one of the parks.
Disney no longer offers inbound luggage handling or RAC on your return.

Current DME, bus from MCO directly to your resort. Prior to Covid average time from landing to your resort was about an hour.

Your post suggests bus to train station, train to DS then bus from DS to your resort.

JMO, current DME is likely to be faster and easier traveling

Current DME, bus from MCO directly to your resort. Prior to Covid average time from landing to your resort was about an hour.

Your post suggests bus to train station, train to DS then bus from DS to your resort.

But, train would be less expensive for Disney. Would need less buses and less upkeep on those buses. I’m guessing this added into their thinking when allowing the station to be on property.

But, train would be less expensive for Disney. Would need less buses and less upkeep on those buses. I’m guessing this added into their thinking when allowing the station to be on property.
It really depends on if this station is actually connected to something Disney can create a hub out of. The statement Jeff Vahle put out after this announcement sort of made it seem this isn’t fully done being developed yet and plans aren’t finalized.

I'm aware they don't currently handle luggage. I'm assuming that that service will come back by the time the train station is completed.

I just don't see how this will be helpful. Pay for a ticket to take the train from the airport to somewhere near Disney Springs. Now what? I have all my luggage and no vehicle. Will they have free buses from there to your resort? How many stops till my resort? As slow as Disney Express may be at times, it still seems like that will be much faster than this option.

So the elephant in the room. During peak hours many days, Disney Springs does not have the capacity for more people. Wait times for restaurants can still be absurd or non existent, most people avoid the non disney shopping, overcrowding the Disney spots. And the walkways are not exactly empty at both the old and new pinch points.

One problem with this post, Disney does not own the Buses but they are owned by Mears, the Bus drivers are not Disney employees (i.e, Cast Members). Disney contracts with Mears.

So the elephant in the room. During peak hours many days, Disney Springs does not have the capacity for more people. Wait times for restaurants can still be absurd or non existent, most people avoid the non disney shopping, overcrowding the Disney spots. And the walkways are not exactly empty at both the old and new pinch points.
This train station won’t be in the actual Disney Springs. It will be nearby. And as others have pointed out, it will be years before this is even built. So it’s not an issue.

One problem with this post, Disney does not own the Buses but they are owned by Mears, the Bus drivers are not Disney employees (i.e, Cast Members). Disney contracts with Mears.
So even better, then Disney can work out a better contract with the Brightline than they have with Mears, and then they can use their own fleet of buses to bring the guests from the train station to the hotels (and use trucks to deliver the luggage).

I just can't see replacing DME with train. The user experience isn't great.
Today:
Exit luggage area, short walk to DME. Bus ride direct to report. 45-60 minutes typical.
With Train:
(some must go get luggage)
ride airport shuttle train to Brightline train station
wait for train - will it run as often as a DME bus gets dispatched?
ride train
get off, wait for a bus to resort (moving your luggage if not handled for you)
ride bus to resort

It's an extra step and two waits. Even though the train ride would be about 15 minutes instead of 30, the extra wait and bus cancels out any time savings. Anyone else think this is a great idea?

Also it's NOT cheaper! A train is a gigantic capital investment that has to be paid back ... it will cost a lot more than operating buses and paying drivers for quite a long time... like 10 years or more. This is why we don't have more trains here. Amtrak loses money even in high use corridors and requires subsidies. Other countries pay for rail in taxes more than by fares.

Article in my local paper today saying the station will be 2 stories and it will be along the I-4

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter