Trailer storage and moving

Evelyn stockdale

Earning My Ears
We are thinking about camping in September October and November at the fort. But didn’t want to have to drive the truck and trailer each time. Is there any place relatively close that would let us both store the trailer there and take it back and forth to fort Wilderness in October and November?? And probably February too. We probably would leave it in storage until April

Evelyn,

We probably have had 3-4 threads over the last year on this subject if you use the search tool with the word "storage" on the Camping Board.

Storage is not the problem. Finding a way to get it moved back and forth to/from the Fort is.

Best to have a conversation with any potential storage place as to whether they offer (or know of someone who can) the haul/setup/takedown/return.

Bama Ed

PS - :welcome: to the Camping Board

Last edited:
Evelyn,

We probably have had 3-4 threads over the last year on this subject if you use the search tool with the word "storage" on the Camping Board.

Storage is not the problem. Finding a way to get it moved back and forth to/from the Fort is.

Best to have a conversation with any potential storage place as to whether they offer (or know of someone who can) the haul/setup/takedown/return.

Bama Ed

PS - :welcome: to the Camping Board

After thinking about this more last night would they be any reason we couldn’t rent a U-Haul pick up for one day on each end of our trip to haul the trailer back and forth??

Do those rental pickups have a brake controller or easy means to hook one in? That's a question that would need to be addressed.

Do those rental pickups have a brake controller or easy means to hook one in? That's a question that would need to be addressed.

The last one i rented from U HAUL, did... but that was long ago...

I think you might have a hard time finding a place that will store and move the trailer but you can easily find a place to store it and it's relatively easy to find a person that can move it (I've seen many such listings on Craigslist).

As far as storage, prices will vary a lot. You can probably get as low as around $50 from a private individual with a large field to $300+ for covered storage.

FWIW, we leave our motorhome and toad in Florida all winter (although we store in the Tampa-St Pete area as that's where we typically fly into).

I honestly don’t know but my husband would. I would rather find someone to do it for us but I am trying to come up with all possible options lol

Here's a few examples from Craigslist. No idea if the price is competitive. If you find it too high, you can always post an ad.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/rvs/d/orlando-friend-with-truck/6776821622.html
https://orlando.craigslist.org/rvs/d/orlando-camper-movers/6778938670.html

You could also maybe rent a towing vehicle

https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/tr...kup-trucks/OneTon4WDPickupTruck-business.html
http://www.orlandotruckrentals.com/locations/orlando-florida-truck-rentals/

and I'm sure there are others. But you'd have to ask about brake controller. If they offer it for 5W towing, I'd be surprised if it didn't have a brake controller.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate all the advice. We really want to drive our trailer down in September and then leave it there until spring. I am hopeful that I can find something that works out. You guys are the best!!

You could also try "working backwards", find someone who can to the moving and ask them if they know any storage spots. It might be that the person you are contacting live in a rural area and have the space to store it.

You also have issues of proper drop height, weight distribution, etc... There's also a tag line on Uhaul's page that says you need to speak to a representative before using their truck to tow a personal trailer. I'd make sure they knew what I was doing before hitching up or you might be taking a serious liability risk (an unauthorized configuration could negate all insurance coverage - including your own).

It might be possible, but it would take some work and forethought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!