Traders Sams with kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
What time do you have to be at the Contemporary for Pirates and Pals? I believe they give you food before you cruise. So I would keep your dinner plans light (wouldn't go to Chef Mickey's at all even if you can get an earlier reservation nor plan a heavy dinner). I also know manicures can take a while so you might not have a ton of time between when you are done at GF and when you have to be at Contemporary for the cruise.

I would plan on quick serve at one of the 3 monorail resorts for something light. That way you aren't tied to a reservation time and you can be flexible. Just check the menus and quick serve options available at each of the 3 resorts. I would use Trader Sam's as a last resort. It's really a bar with a limited (not really kid friendly food) appetizer menu, and while kids are welcome before 8, I don't think it's a very kid-centered place in general.

I was only going to do Pirate and Pals if we cancel Chef Mickey. If we skip P&P our schedule will be: 4:00 -6ish GF for manicures and looking at Christmas decorations at GF. 6:00 - 7:15ish wander around Poly (maybe grab a Dole Whip? Don't know what else to do!). 7:15 - 7:45 Explore Contemporary w/ Dinner at Chef Mickey at 7:45. I'm also planning on giving the kids some coins to do a pressed penny hunt at the resorts.

OK got it! It seems like Poly and Dole Whip are priorities so I would do your manicure and wander around GF afterwards looking at Christmas things. Then take the monorail (or take the boat which is more fun in my opinion) and head over to the Poly for a dole whip and snacks and wander around/sit out on the beach. Then monorail to Contemporary. I would probably lean towards Chef Mickey's and skip the cruise since it's your arrival night and my kids are usually wiped on arrival day. Have fun!

I was only going to do Pirate and Pals if we cancel Chef Mickey. If we skip P&P our schedule will be: 4:00 -6ish GF for manicures and looking at Christmas decorations at GF. 6:00 - 7:15ish wander around Poly (maybe grab a Dole Whip? Don't know what else to do!). 7:15 - 7:45 Explore Contemporary w/ Dinner at Chef Mickey at 7:45. I'm also planning on giving the kids some coins to do a pressed penny hunt at the resorts.

It didn't dawn on me that you will be there when the Christmas decorations are up. I have to agree with sullyfam, that doing P&P on your first night might be exhausting as, I believe, it starts at 8:45 pm in December and you probably won't be back at CR until close to 11 pm. Then, if you aren't staying at CR, you have to get back to your own resort.

This is what I would suggest. Get to GF prior to your manicures to see the Christmas tree, the gingerbread house and to look around. Walk to the GF spa (it's in a building a bit away from the GF main building), get your manicures and then walk to the Poly (it will be quicker to walk to Poly from the spa than taking the monorail as you would have to walk back to GF and take the monorail 4 stops to get to Poly). If your manicures are done at 6:00 pm, you should be at Poly by about 6:15 pm if you walk. Explore Poly, if you don't think your kids will be afraid of the effects (my DS never was), try to get into Trader Sam's (you can even see the effects on youtube if you want to check it out). When we go to Trader Sam's, we order $4.99 mocktails and sodas and simply watch while others order the pricey drinks that set off the effects. If you can't get into Trader Sam's, you can explore the gift shop (it's pretty cool!), take pictures, get a Dole Whip and head down to the beach. When you are done with Poly, simply take the monorail over to CR for your Chef Mickey's reservation. If you are early, they have a beautiful gingerbread display there and a nice gift shop as well. You can also go out to the 4th floor observation deck for a great view of MK.

It's Disney. Don't you know it is only for kids? JK The first time we went at the Poly the only seats available were next to a family with a kid screaming in a high chair and a toddler banging their hands on the table and singing loudly. We left immediately as that was not what I wanted to sit next to while spending $30-$40 for couple of drinks. Been to the DL version several times and with not kids in the bar at all. Very pleasant experience and a lot of fun. I don't think it is too much to ask to have one small kid free space at Disney. Or at least make it age 10 and up. I also think there are many other more fun places for kids.

You have several - V&A, Atlantic Dance Hall, JellyRoll's and Trader Sam's after 8 pm.

I think sitting outside with a Dole Whip and shopping might be my best option after hearing what everyone here has to say. Then we can take our time a little more! I've never been to the Poly so I just wasn't sure. Can you sit at the beach area if you don't have a room there?
I am pretty sure you can walk onto the beach area and that only the pool is off limits to those not staying there. It looks like for the dole whips you now get them from a place called Pineapple Lenai, which is outside near Captain Cooks. Trader Sams is really cool, so you could always pop in and see what you think. Kids are not out of place there and it definitely felt like Disney and not any bar that I’d been to.

You have several - V&A, Atlantic Dance Hall, JellyRoll's and Trader Sam's after 8 pm.

Children are allowed at V&A. Atlantic Dance Hall and Jelly Rolls don't open until 9pm. I don't think it is too much to ask to have a small bar out of all of the acres DW encompasses for adults to be with other adults from 4pm to 8pm. Even 10 and up like V&A would be acceptable. I realize this is my opinion only but I am entitled to have my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Obviously Disney agrees with your opinion which is why children are allowed in.

The good part of all this is we have alcohol delivered and have much cheaper drinks around the hot tub or our resort. Judging by all the other people who we meet there doing the same thing Disney might be missing out on a huge revenue stream.

I would avoid TS with Kids. It is a bar and meant to be just that. And they do adhere strictly to noone under 21 after 8PM, which I appreciate. Unlike the Edison which doesnt enforce the rule and there are kids in that place at 11PM at night. While I appreciate WDW has Kids specific things, its also a place for Families and Adults. The things meant for adults should be left that way. Mixing the two is not a good thing. WDW caters to varying clientel and they do a decent job of keeping areas for adults just that. Some places dont, but, Ive learned where to go over the years to enjoy an adult evening. It is when the people with families complain about the more adult nature of a place ( Heard this at Raglan Road one night. A lady was complaining to the girl at the stand about all the drinking and rowdiness of the crowd inside at the bar at 11 at night when her family was there eating. Ummm, its an Irish Pub at 11 at night. Same can be said for Trader Sams, Jock Lindseys, Geyser Point, etc. The Edison has lost it for most adults due to A. Bad food, B, Overpriced Drinks, and C. Not getting kids out at night. Even Bobs show at Riverside, early show, aimed at kids and families, then most responsible parents get their kids to bed and the later show is almost all adults having fun.

Last edited:

Children are allowed at V&A. Atlantic Dance Hall and Jelly Rolls don't open until 9pm. I don't think it is too much to ask to have a small bar out of all of the acres DW encompasses for adults to be with other adults from 4pm to 8pm. Even 10 and up like V&A would be acceptable. I realize this is my opinion only but I am entitled to have my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Obviously Disney agrees with your opinion which is why children are allowed in.

The good part of all this is we have alcohol delivered and have much cheaper drinks around the hot tub or our resort. Judging by all the other people who we meet there doing the same thing Disney might be missing out on a huge revenue stream.

As long as they're well behaved I don't see what the problem is, and I say that as an adult with no children (the last child I went to Disney with is my now 24 year old cousin).

Want to suggest if you are looking for a character meal---what about 1900 Park Fare. We were pleasantly surprised by the good food last august. Otherwise, set up a dining alert in mouse dining for a Chef Mickey's reservation. You have plenty of time to come up with a Chef Mickey's reservation possibly before then.

I’m also open to other suggestions! I’m just at a loss due to the late chef Mickey time. There’s too much time between that reservation and the manicures! Or I’m open to a different fun thing to do at Poly to pass the time!
You can eat on the Patio at Trader Sams.

Kae

I would avoid TS with Kids. It is a bar and meant to be just that. And they do adhere strictly to noone under 21 after 8PM, which I appreciate. Unlike the Edison which doesnt enforce the rule and there are kids in that place at 11PM at night. While I appreciate WDW has Kids specific things, its also a place for Families and Adults. The things meant for adults should be left that way. Mixing the two is not a good thing. WDW caters to varying clientel and they do a decent job of keeping areas for adults just that. Some places dont, but, Ive learned where to go over the years to enjoy an adult evening. It is when the people with families complain about the more adult nature of a place ( Heard this at Raglan Road one night. A lady was complaining to the girl at the stand about all the drinking and rowdiness of the crowd inside at the bar at 11 at night when her family was there eating. Ummm, its an Irish Pub at 11 at night. Same can be said for Trader Sams, Jock Lindseys, Geyser Point, etc. The Edison has lost it for most adults due to A. Bad food, B, Overpriced Drinks, and C. Not getting kids out at night. Even Bobs show at Riverside, early show, aimed at kids and families, then most responsible parents get their kids to bed and the later show is almost all adults having fun.

No, it's not a bar. It's an establishment that serves food and alcohol. Y'all, it's Florida and FL law states children can be in establishments that serve both alcohol and food and they can actually sit at the bar. This isn't a WDW thing, it's a FL thing. Establishments can then, at their discretion, set their own rules as they've done with Trader Sam's after 8 pm.

What "kid specific" things are you referring to? There are less than a handful of "kid-specific" activities in all of WDW - BBB, the resort pirate cruises, Wonderland tea party and Capt. Hook's Pirates Crew. Walt Disney's impetus for creating DL is because he wanted a place where families could enjoy activities together. He was tired of sitting on a bench while watching his daughters ride a carousel and wanted to be able to ride with them. WDW is not Key West bar crawl and never will be. I think the few adult-only spaces WDW provides will continue to be few and far between. It's just not what WDW and DL were designed to be.

It’s not that small, it’s not that crowded, it’s not that intense and it’s fine for kids in the afternoon or earlier evening. Our kids enjoy seeing it and the atmosphere.

Nah, I don’t think this is accurate. The reason people have drinks around the pool/hot tub at night is because they have nothing to do with their kids. Now where viable to send them to go,out for an adults night. That’s why they don’t make venues adults only- they wouldn’t do very well.

Make sure you leave enough time to get around on the monorail if you plan to head to the Contemporary and Chef Mickey's. Plan at least 30 minutes to get around and then get to the restaurant.

Tri

I so like this post. And the bars and lounges they do have are alyways understaffed so you might be there 90 mins before you can get a 2nd drink (same with at meals). They really are leaving a decent revenue stream untouched.

No, it's not a bar. It's an establishment that serves food and alcohol. Y'all, it's Florida and FL law states children can be in establishments that serve both alcohol and food and they can actually sit at the bar. This isn't a WDW thing, it's a FL thing. Establishments can then, at their discretion, set their own rules as they've done with Trader Sam's after 8 pm.

What "kid specific" things are you referring to? There are less than a handful of "kid-specific" activities in all of WDW - BBB, the resort pirate cruises, Wonderland tea party and Capt. Hook's Pirates Crew. Walt Disney's impetus for creating DL is because he wanted a place where families could enjoy activities together. He was tired of sitting on a bench while watching his daughters ride a carousel and wanted to be able to ride with them. WDW is not Key West bar crawl and never will be. I think the few adult-only spaces WDW provides will continue to be few and far between. It's just not what WDW and DL were designed to be.
I am in agreement with you kids are totally fine in trader sams, they did however tell me we couldn’t sit at the actual bar because we were with a child.

Geyser Point then Blue Flag boat to Contemporary?
Thats a great idea ,grab dole whip and take the boat to WL -
I'm sure the kids would love it
At that point you could look around and grab a bite at Geyser Point or
check out all the cool stuff & still boat back to the contemporary for dinner !

I am in agreement with you kids are totally fine in trader sams, they did however tell me we couldn’t sit at the actual bar because we were with a child.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. FL law doesn't disallow children from sitting at actual bars, but individual establishments can make their own rules regarding this. My DS never sat at the bar at Trader Sam's, so I am unfamiliar with their individual policy. He has sat at the bar at Nomad and in the Sanaa lounge, however, when we couldn't find seats elsewhere, so, perhaps Trader Sam's set their own policy, but it is not a WDW-resort wide policy that children cannot sit at actual bars. Thank you for the clarification regarding Trader Sam's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter