Trader Sam's & Alfresco Tasting Terrace

disney04

Earning My Ears
Hello All,
I too am planning a trip during the aptly named Black Hole Week and I have stumbled across a mention of Trader Sam's going down for refurb Sept. 5 - 15. I will be beyond bummed. Does anyone have first hand knowledge to back this up? Where would one find hotel based refurbs listed on the Disneyland website?

I panicked and check hours and there were none listed for that week (week of Sept. 11) also at Alfresco Tasting Terrace. Does that not bode well for it to be open as well?

I'm just not sure how much to rely on those operating hours as an indicator.

As you can see, I take my hooch pretty seriously...LOL!

Thanks so much!

The Alfresco Tasting Terrace is often closed on off-peak days, unfortunately.

That's a bummer about Trader Sam's! We enjoy getting drinks at the Hearthstone Lounge or over in the Napa Rose Lounge (both at the Grand) if you're looking for some out-of-park alternatives.

Hello All,
I too am planning a trip during the aptly named Black Hole Week and I have stumbled across a mention of Trader Sam's going down for refurb Sept. 5 - 15. I will be beyond bummed. Does anyone have first hand knowledge to back this up? Where would one find hotel based refurbs listed on the Disneyland website?

I panicked and check hours and there were none listed for that week (week of Sept. 11) also at Alfresco Tasting Terrace. Does that not bode well for it to be open as well?

I'm just not sure how much to rely on those operating hours as an indicator.

As you can see, I take my hooch pretty seriously...LOL!

Thanks so much!

You might give them a call and see if they can verify the information.
I know how you feel regarding the Black Hole Week.

We had a similar situation with a trip in early 2013. Here on the board it was nicknamed "WOC" for World of Closures.
While we all know there will be refurbishments during this time, there had never been so MANY!

Yes on Trader Sam's I see from a couple places which usually means Disney has put the info out to TAs. (What I see says Sept 5-15 as well.) The website confirms no hours for Sept 5 but then it lists no hours all the way through Oct so obviously there is a flaw in the website there. I don't see anything on ATT but using the online method you used I see no hours available starting Sept 10. No way to know when it's going to come back up for now. Fingers crossed you at least get that one!

Thanks All. Yeah, I too think it is likely Trader Sam's is going be down. That is such a major bummer. Oh well, maybe the bar at the Rainforest will be my consolation prize.

Thanks Skyegirl1999 for letting me know Alfresco is usually closed off peak days. Maybe we will be lucky and catch it at sometime. Of course, there is always the Cove Bar. Now if that close...I'm going to lose it LOL!!!

You might give them a call and see if they can verify the information.
I know how you feel regarding the Black Hole Week.

We had a similar situation with a trip in early 2013. Here on the board it was nicknamed "WOC" for World of Closures.
While we all know there will be refurbishments during this time, there had never been so MANY!

Yup, I remember that time. I'm pretty sure I had a trip planned then too. Note to self: choose the exact opposite week you were thinking of going and then everything will be open, hours will be long, and Donald Duck will follow only you around the park...ha ha!

This is ridiculous... We've never been to Traders and I wanted to go this trip because the park is only open 10-9 three of the 5 days we are there.

I don't understand how a huge operation like Disneyland doesn't have a schedule of maintenance requests and needs and priorities that they can't map out in advance. Every large facility is capable of doing that. How are they not?? That's probably why things are down so long for refurb. For a month straight they probably have their technicians and maintenance people working 24/7 because some idiot decided to schedule repairs on half of the park at all different locations.

This is ridiculous... We've never been to Traders and I wanted to go this trip because the park is only open 10-9 three of the 5 days we are there.

I don't understand how a huge operation like Disneyland doesn't have a schedule of maintenance requests and needs and priorities that they can't map out in advance. Every large facility is capable of doing that. How are they not?? That's probably why things are down so long for refurb. For a month straight they probably have their technicians and maintenance people working 24/7 because some idiot decided to schedule repairs on half of the park at all different locations.

I definitely feel your pain. This news definitely took the wind out of my sails for this trip. Compounded by all the rides under refurb or getting holiday makeovers. I just have to believe that this is the last of it. At least that is what I keep telling myself to make me feel better.

That's Disneyland for you. They took Riverbelle Terrace down for a MAJOR refurb and they way we found out was no one was able to schedule dining. It was a weeks before they put out an announcement, a CM mentioned something about refurb on the phone, and just in the last couple weeks the scope of the work and how long it will be closed for (lol, still don't know when it's re-opening) is coming to light. Obviously they've known for sometime that restaurant was going down for a couple months but they don't bother to release the info until they're a week or so from taking it down. It's completely ridiculous!

I definitely feel your pain. This news definitely took the wind out of my sails for this trip. Compounded by all the rides under refurb or getting holiday makeovers. I just have to believe that this is the last of it. At least that is what I keep telling myself to make me feel better.
There is still much magic to be had! Cathay Lounge is superb, maybe the Sonoma Terrace as a sub for Alfresco? Follow-up: Nope! Nope! Nope! Just looked at that menu- not even close. My new backup plan is WCT, totally not the same relaxed vibe but I can still get my favorite apps and wine. (ATT is on my list too for later in Sept.)

There is still much magic to be had! Cathay Lounge is superb, maybe the Sonoma Terrace as a sub for Alfresco? Follow-up: Nope! Nope! Nope! Just looked at that menu- not even close. My new backup plan is WCT, totally not the same relaxed vibe but I can still get my favorite apps and wine. (ATT is on my list too for later in Sept.)

Yes, thank you. I plan on visiting WCT too, and Carthay Circle Lounge, and the Cove Bar, and the Napa Rose Lounge... ;)

That's Disneyland for you. They took Riverbelle Terrace down for a MAJOR refurb and they way we found out was no one was able to schedule dining. It was a weeks before they put out an announcement, a CM mentioned something about refurb on the phone, and just in the last couple weeks the scope of the work and how long it will be closed for (lol, still don't know when it's re-opening) is coming to light. Obviously they've known for sometime that restaurant was going down for a couple months but they don't bother to release the info until they're a week or so from taking it down. It's completely ridiculous!

My favorite is that the Pixar Parade just ceased the same day MSE ended. No notice. Just happened.

My favorite is that the Pixar Parade just ceased the same day MSE ended. No notice. Just happened.
Wait- WHAT?! I just assumed it was staying around as the daytime parade for a couple years at this point. They better be plussing that baby up to something spectacular for next year to just pull it from the line-up this early...

Wait- WHAT?! I just assumed it was staying around as the daytime parade for a couple years at this point. They better be plussing that baby up to something spectacular for next year to just pull it from the line-up this early...

Ceased for the interim. I believe they said they're moving it to DL at some point. What I meant is that when I looked at the calendar in August for September, Pixar parade was on it for the weekends, then all of a sudden it wasn't

My Trader Sam's source says the Terrace will still be open and serving; only the ETB will be down. So yeah, it will be a bummer to miss out on that atmosphere, but you can still get your tiki drink fix!

Oh, that's good to hear. Thanks!! If they have the live music as well, even better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter