Trader Joe's Opening in 8 days. . . what to buy?

There is a Trader Joe's opening in 8 days about an hour away from my house. Before I make the drive, I want to know. . . Is it worth it? I usually go to Whole foods 3-4 times per year and stock up on organic frozen veggies and other nonperishables, as well as fresh goodies.

What products do you LOVE from Trader Joe's? I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that isn't good and waste it. Thanks!

EVERYTHING.

HAHA

I have some trader joes grocery hauls on youtube if you'd like to see what I get (mostly) each week. From my bloggie :goodvibes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNEq2j9hau8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SBN3K2MAjw

I like their stuff but am very underwhelmed by their prices, they aren't any better than WF or a regular supermarket, but that's probably because our WF and TJ's are within 2 minutes of each other and are both in a Princeton, NJ zip code...read MONEY MONEY MONEY.

I go there for a few random things, but in general just hit our regular shoprite and find better prices even on organics.

I like their stuff but am very underwhelmed by their prices, they aren't any better than WF or a regular supermarket, but that's probably because our WF and TJ's are within 2 minutes of each other and are both in a Princeton, NJ zip code...read MONEY MONEY MONEY.

I go there for a few random things, but in general just hit our regular shoprite and find better prices even on organics.

WoW!!!! Our TJ's has MUCH lower prices than WF (or as we call, "Whole Paycheck"). Amazing what location will do!! We're in central Ohio, and it's a good $1-$3 per item difference between the two.

I agree. Shoprite and Wegmans are sometimes better priced for same items. Of course the double coupon policy is also helpful for Shoprite and Wegmans.

The WF and TJ in Southern NJ are about 5 minutes from each other as well. Not exactly Princeton, but still MONEY..

I love TJ's, but we go there for more snacks and treats than regular food shopping. One thing that I really like is the frozen vegetables in balsamic vinegar, it is like carrots, pearl onions & mushrooms. We use that a quick filling for a chicken pot pie. Add chicken and gravy and cover with pie crust. Yum.

My kids love the cereal bars, so I buy like 8 boxes at a time.

Also, their chocolate chips are dairy free, and since my son isn't allowed dairy, I stock up on those.

A few treats that I really enjoy are the chocolate dipped pretzel thins. Also the dark chocolate caramels are delicious.

I also concur about the cereal prices. I have little ones that eat cheerios like they're going out of style, I buy the Joe's O's and I think they were like $1.99 a box?

99% of the time I also get suckered into whatever food they are demoing that day.

WoW!!!! Our TJ's has MUCH lower prices than WF (or as we call, "Whole Paycheck"). Amazing what location will do!! We're in central Ohio, and it's a good $1-$3 per item difference between the two.

Word, and I'm probably shopping at the same store (on Sawmill, right :thumbsup2)?

I love their cheese - the prices are great.
the half salt roasted almonds are the best I've had
the wine is great!
They have great frozen veggies, and again, the prices are great!

KCpirate:

I am not crazy about everything at TJ.

That being said, some things that I will recommend:

charles shaw wine

jo-jo's (both chocolate and vanilla)

ice cream (their chocolate is one of the top rated brands on AOL)

milk chocolate covered pretzels (are to die for)

balsamic vinegar is really very good

unsalted peanut butter stuffed pretzels

chocolate bars

granola

organic yogart

organic brown rice and orange chicken

frozen blueberries

I tried their yellow cake mix, it's good, but it reminds me of corn bread for some reason.

I love TJ's! I go at least once a week. Their prices are MUCH better than our grocery stores, Whole Foods, and Earth Fare.

Here's what I get:
Bell Peppers-all colors are $1.29 a piece.. can't beat that.
Their organic lettuce and spinich.
Love their hummus and salsa. The hummus is a fantastic deal!
The whole wheat english muffins. Just place them in the fridge so they last a bit (no preservatives)
Brownie mix and their peanut butter cups. There's a fantastic recipe on their site for peanut butter brownies.
Chocolate pudding.
Olive oil.
Kidney beans-one of the only brands that is actually just kidney beans, none of the other junk that other brands put in theirs.
Thier version of mini-wheats. Taste the same as the real ones with less junk and cheaper.
Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies..Dunkers! YUM!
Great selection and prices on wines. They are so inexpensive that you can afford to try and see what you like.
Lemonade
Moisturizer-is nice and light for the summer and it's a great price.
Their sweet potato chips, organic white corn tortilla chips and pita chips.
Their pizza crust in the dairy section.

I'm sure there is more, but that is what I buy on a regular basis.
Enjoy your shopping trip!!

We must be neighbors since I shop at the same TJs and WF plus the Wegmans just down the road. I have to say I disagree with you about the prices though. TJs is cheaper than WFs and Wegmans especially on things like cheese, nuts and fruits/vegetables. The quality is also better than many of the regular stores excluding Wegmans.

OP, it isn't a full service grocery so the choices are limited but what they do sell is good quality.

What I like most about TJs is that I actually enjoy shopping there and leave in a good mood which I can't say about going to Shoprite.

We love the following:

ezekiel bread (made with sprouted grains not flour)
rosemary ham
european style mocha yogurt
mini tacos
pot stickers
frozen quinoa blend
3 layer hummus
chicken parm
soups - carrot ginger & black bean are our favorites
tri tip steak
ground turkey
parm cheese wedge
frying cheese
sour cream & onion puffs
veggie & flax tortilla chips
olive oil popcorn
almond butter with flax
frozen veggies
nuts
cinnamon coffee cake mix

I haven't had anything from Trader Joe's for over a year since my sister left Washington state to move back here to Texas. No TJ's in Texas. Our absolute favorite was the lemon curd. It was half the price of any place around here and super tasty. DS10 loves it on ritz crackers. :love:

In the spirit of the "budget boards" here is a list of items that I find are more economical to purchase at TJ's instead of the grocery store:

whole wheat english muffins (prob regular also, so much better than Thomas')
dryed cranberry's
bagged almonds
pizza dough
frozen asparagus (so delish, taste just like fresh)
frozen artichoke hearts
party foods like cheeses, pepperoni, salami slices

there are tons of great items but you can really blow the budget at that place.

I love their guacamole kit. (basically all ingredients needed to make fresh guac)

Morning buns cinnamin in the frozen section
Peruvian Cucumbers
Gerat prices on fresh flowers
Fresh shaved beef --- makes great cheese steaks
Organic tortilla chips
peppers
chocalate almond cookies........OMG
bag of red onions
Cheese puffs.(think pirate booties)
Pomegranite Lime juice
fresh salsa
spinach dip

|Just an FYI- We only use organic milk and their exp dates are really close to the buy date. So I get that at shop rite

I have a TJ's very near my work, so I go a lunch. I do not buy many perishibles, but have got some premade sandwiches and salads, instead of making a second stop. The things I think make TJ's worthwhile:
tea tree shampoo and conditioner
face soap
face moisturizer
hand soap for next to the sinks
grated parm/romano
shredded italian cheese blend
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
Occasionally tortilla chips (sometimes can get a better price with a sale/coupon)
Hummus

There is so much good stuff there! I like to go for these things:

Eggs
Quick cooking steel cut oats
Blueberry bars (favorite of ds2)
Challah
Cheese--there's a dublin cheddar that's amazing
Frozen fruit and vegetables
Organic frozen brown rice
Gypsy chariot wine. Both the red and the white are fabulous
Olive oil and olive oil spray
Trail mix. They have a zillion different kinds and they're all great
Nuts. (Same as trail mix--tons to choose from and great prices!)
Salsa verde

Ack. Really, pretty much everything there is amazing and often it's a lower price than at the regular supermarket.

corn salsa
fresh tortillas - YUM!
pizza dough
dried fruit
guac (if you are desperate for some and avocados are super high priced)
salami (they have a chianti salami - YUM)

Have fun at your new TJ's!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter