Tracking Cruising Restart: News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, be thankful all we have is silence from DCL. It is preferable to the back and forth of other lines. Every day their stories change and it frustrates their customers even more than we are. On Monday Carnival sent out press releases saying that their July sailings from Galveston would be 100% vaccine, no kids under 12. Then yesterday they sent emails to customers saying a "small number" of kids under 12 will be allowed to sail. People over there are pissed and the confusion, especially those that cancelled between Monday and the email going out on Tuesday.

No news is good news (for now)

Flip-flopping is not good. However, over-communicating is almost always a lesser sin than not communicating at all.

Flip-flopping is not good. However, over-communicating is almost always a lesser sin than not communicating at all.
Agree, but in this case all Disney would be communicating is "We have made no decisions yet and are still weighing all options. As soon as we know more we will let you know"

If that non-message would comfort you, ok. They aren't saying anything because they have made no decisions. Disney doesn't want to make a decision and then change it. They will wait until they are 100% sure.

Why isn't DCL doing something like this? Or have an exec put out videos, like other lines have done, explaining where they are at, and how they plan on resuming operations, and what they expect it will look like? Their complete silence and disregard for their guests by leaving them in the dark and twisting in the wind is very frustrating.

Because unlike Celebrity which is pushing forward as quickly as possible with whatever they need to say to get a revenue generating cruise Disney is taking its time and will wait to see how things change.

Disney also likely wants as little number of checks, processes, and requirements as possible to cruise. So no need to talk about what might be until its closer to when they will cruise.

Agree, but in this case all Disney would be communicating is "We have made no decisions yet and are still weighing all options. As soon as we know more we will let you know"

If that non-message would comfort you, ok. They aren't saying anything because they have made no decisions. Disney doesn't want to make a decision and then change it. They will wait until they are 100% sure.

I'm sure they could say a lot more than that, they are just choosing not to. They only canceled 2 Dream sailings yesterday. So they must have some reason to believe they could resume for the Aug 9 sailing. That's only 60 days from now. No way they have decided on absoutely nothing yet at this stage.

My sense (based on the TA session yesterday) was that RCI expects to be fined for any of the guests that they have to turn away for refusing/unable to show vaccination proof. Everyone else is voluntarily showing it to not have the testing/masks/restrictions/extra charges. Clearly RCI's attorneys think it will work and I suspect Celebrity and Carnival will follow suit if it seems like the better way to go to reduce (not totally avoid) the fines.

If I remember correctly, for Carnival: showing up and refusing to present proof of vaccine puts you at risk of being turn away and losing your cruise fare. I don't know many people who would be ready to do this just to prove a point.

Honestly, be thankful all we have is silence from DCL. It is preferable to the back and forth of other lines. Every day their stories change and it frustrates their customers even more than we are. On Monday Carnival sent out press releases saying that their July sailings from Galveston would be 100% vaccine, no kids under 12. Then yesterday they sent emails to customers saying a "small number" of kids under 12 will be allowed to sail. People over there are pissed and the confusion, especially those that cancelled between Monday and the email going out on Tuesday.

No news is good news (for now)

I think it depends on what the news are. Some changes, as long as those are positive (more relaxed measures, more people allowed, etc.) can have a positive effect on guests.

I feel like most Carnival guests appreciated the communications in the last months. Was it relaxing? Not at all. We have built and cancelled and rebuilt trips trips over and over... But at least we felt some kind of progression.

Things have been changing very quickly everywhere and I believe CCL, RCCL, NCL have been the reflection of that as well.

I feel like people who are not upset about the lack of information must not have cruises in the next few months booked. I want to sail, but the lack of information leaves all of us in a terrible position. It's been a very long 15 months and people need to get away. I totally understand the perspective that they aren't saying anything because they don't know yet - but don't get snippy with folks who truly are upset at the complete absence of information. We cannot make informed decisions about our vacations without data to based those decisions on.

I have just heard that RCCL will not make vaccines mandatory in Florida BUT they will charge unvaccined guests an extra fee to cover the costs of the covid tests and other measures? (Amount TBD)

Did not see that one coming.

I wonder if other cruise lines will follow?

I have just heard that RCCL will not make vaccines mandatory in Florida BUT they will charge unvaccined guests an extra fee to cover the costs of the covid tests and other measures? (Amount TBD)

Yes that came out yesterday. It must in some way keep them free of the FL law since showing vaccination proof is optional. They would only get fined if they have to turn people away (if they exceed the 95%). I expect Celebrity and Carnival to follow with something similar.

Yes that came out yesterday. It must in some way keep them free of the FL law since showing vaccination proof is optional. They would only get fined if they have to turn people away (if they exceed the 95%). I expect Celebrity and Carnival to follow with something similar.
That's pretty much what Celebrity said they'd do, along with mask mandates and other measures for unvaccinated passengers and passengers who decline to show proof of vaccination. It seems to be the way forward. Royal Caribbean says that they'll sail some of their ships under the 95% vaccinated rule (presumably managing unvaccinated individuals similar to how Celebrity said they would), while others will not because of the high percentage of kids expected but they'll still have different rules and additional costs for unvaccinated adults.

Last edited:
That's pretty much what Celebrity said they'd do, along with mask mandates and other measures for unvaccinated passengers and passengers who decline to show proof of vaccination. It seems to be the way forward. Royal Caribbeans says that they'll sail some of their ships under the 95% vaccinated rule (presumably managing unvaccinated individuals similar to how Celebrity said they would), while others will not because of the high percentage of kids expected but they'll still have different rules and additional costs for unvaccinated adults.

I could see cruise lines charging the fee with a mention that it will be "credited if you show proof of vaccination"...

I feel like people who are not upset about the lack of information must not have cruises in the next few months booked. I want to sail, but the lack of information leaves all of us in a terrible position. It's been a very long 15 months and people need to get away. I totally understand the perspective that they aren't saying anything because they don't know yet - but don't get snippy with folks who truly are upset at the complete absence of information. We cannot make informed decisions about our vacations without data to based those decisions on.
I apologize if I came across as snippy, was not my intention. I just see so many people on this and other forums getting aggravated and my opinion was the flood of mis-information was worse. Of course, everyone needs to make their plans and we all want to know more. I just don't let the things I can't control get me down.

I am not upset with DCL at all here. I have 4 cruises booked between Labor Day and March 2021. And I've had 7 cancelled since the pandemic began. Would I love to know more details? Sure! But I only want to know them if they hold up. If my next cruise gets cancelled, I'll deal with it. But I stopped letting it get me upset a while ago. I can hope, dream, guess, and chat about it with all the people here and on the Royal Forum, but I can no longer let it get under my skin. Life's too short.

I hope Disney releases info as soon as possible to help everyone here make the best decision they can for their families vacation plans.

Yeah, I think a simple "No wristband = Not Vaccinated" would work. Lose your wristband and get a new one at Guest Services with proof of Vax. Or color coded so everyone has to have a wristband, regardless of vax status.
So, how long before someone sets up an Etsy store to sell wristbands for the cruise to indicate vaccinated :-(

So, how long before someone sets up an Etsy store to sell wristbands for the cruise to indicate vaccinated :-(
It's a simple thing for DCL to randomize colors, characters, etc to reduce that risk. You can't ever keep everyone honest, but people who would do that would probably just buy a CDC card on-line. That's available right now.

Remember, locks keep honest people honest.

I have always wondered if businesses were going to go this route. I mean how much is Covid testing?
Money talks to a lot of people. I wonder if they are charging kids also?

I have always wondered if businesses were going to go this route. I mean how much is Covid testing?

I believe I read somewhere that the “charge” will only apply to those who COULD be vaccinated but aren’t. That is, that kids won’t be charged if a vaccine is not yet available to them.

I don’t know but here for travel COVID tests are 250$ CAD.

So... Charge a fee at the port for testing, but if you voluntarily show proof of vaccination, this fee is waived? (Are you still tested, or not?) Is that the plan?

From what I understand, if you are vaccinated, you don’t need to get tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!