TP Room Requests - minimize your chance of an upgrade?

winnieofpooh

DIS Veteran
I know we all hope for the extra special pixie dust upgrade when we check into our resort. Obviously, I don't want to do anything that could eliminate that chance. Does sending a room request through TP basically do that? We aren't super picky with where the room is, but it seems fun to find the best views and make requests. But I definitely don't want to make requests if it eliminates the (tiny) chance of an upgrade!

I know we all hope for the extra special pixie dust upgrade when we check into our resort. Obviously, I don't want to do anything that could eliminate that chance. Does sending a room request through TP basically do that? We aren't super picky with where the room is, but it seems fun to find the best views and make requests. But I definitely don't want to make requests if it eliminates the (tiny) chance of an upgrade!

If you make a request, how you make a request, doing Online Check In, etc has zero bearing on whether or not you get an upgrade.

Ditto. Room requests have no impact, no matter how you make the request.

Most upgrades happen because the resort needs you out of the room they would have put you in, for the range of dates you happen to have booked. It's pure luck, and whether or not you've made requests doesn't really play into it. There isn't much of anything you can do to make an upgrade more or less likely.

As others have said upgrades are rare.... A lot of what people consider upgrades are actually rooms in the category they have booked with a lesser view of a higher category. examples will be AKL Savannah views with the people pen under them. BLT the first few floors facing the MK. If you are particular as to where your room is you should book in the category that will put you there if you book the lowest category your door can very well open to the backside of someone's beat up 70's ford wagon.

Most upgrades happen because the resort needs you out of the room they would have put you in, for the range of dates you happen to have booked. It's pure luck, and whether or not you've made requests doesn't really play into it. There isn't much of anything you can do to make an upgrade more or less likely.
Totally agree from my hotelier perspective. What you are saying is what happens, hotels give upgrades for the hotel’s business reasons. Often it’s something like a room in your category goes out of inventory for repair or other reason and they have to move people to other rooms. And as others say, they are very much rarer than people’s reports make them seem. Never go hoping for one and there is nothing you can do to improve your chances.

I think it may depend on what kind of request you put in. A request for, say, a room near an elevator--probably not any difference. But if you request a specific room, building etc., I could see how they might not want to upgrade you to something different from what you specifically asked for. That said, I would expect the overriding considerations are length of stay and party size since that is going to be what determines which rooms need to be allocated to make room for other guests.

I used TP a couple weeks ago for CSR. I requested Casitas because it’s our favorite section and we would be arriving after midnight and didn’t want a long walk with our luggage. We were upgraded to a preferred room in a closer Casitas building. So upgrades can happen.

I think it may depend on what kind of request you put in. A request for, say, a room near an elevator--probably not any difference. But if you request a specific room, building etc., I could see how they might not want to upgrade you to something different from what you specifically asked for. That said, I would expect the overriding considerations are length of stay and party size since that is going to be what determines which rooms need to be allocated to make room for other guests.

Upgrades happen because the room they were going to assign you is unavailable, so they weren't going to be able to honor your request anyway. Over the years I've been in line at the parks with a few room assignors and have had a chance to pick their brains on how things work and when they need to upgrade guests they do not even look at what their requests were.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts