Toy Story 4 Mini Review (No Spoilers)

Greenfield1984

DIS Veteran
Toy Story 4 is yet another well crafted Pixar film.

It's cinematography/animation was incredible. It's at the point where if they advance it any further they might as well shoot live action scene shots because it is so darn realistic.

Only by making it CGI they get the luxury of crafting their own unique beautiful world that may trump anything that we can actually visit in the real world. I would love it if Disney committed real resources to virtual reality technology because it would be amazing to actually walk in their created worlds. The visuals were just stunning.

The characters, both new and old, were really fleshed out and had tons of depth to them. I originally saw the trailers for this film and thought Forky was a joke and made me really cautious going into this movie. However he turned out to be pretty great. As was the new character, an ode to Canada, who truly was a delight.

The soundtrack, with Randy Newman returning, was great throughout.

And yet...Toy Story 4 was unnecessary and left me wondering what could have been.

All of these resources being put towards a film that, while great, was really nothing new.

It's story was heartwarming and appealed to all ages in true Pixar fashion. But it was, nonetheless, basically the same borrowed story that we saw throughout the first 3 Toy Story films that ended so perfectly.
This story did not need to be told.

I understand that the Toy Story franchise is huge and there is so much potential. Who doesn't want to see all of these characters again? But I believe they would be better served on the small screen instead. Disney has it's new Disney+ streaming service coming up soon (similar to netflix). I'd rather they created a tv series using these characters. Let cinema tell the grand overarching story and let tv bring us the toys on their small episodic adventures.
And that is what Toy Story 4 felt like to me. A kind of mini adventure done with a huge budget making it appear grander then it really was.

Fortunately it appears as though Pixar does plan to move forward with exactly what i'm hoping. No more sequels. Instead a return to what its best at. Making new original stories.

So overall. Good but unnecessary film.

Really curious what the rest of the Dis unplugged team thought about it.

Excelent. Looking forward to having a chance to listen to them muse. I was actually watching the movie while they were recording.

I feel pretty similar. I think it was a fun movie and enjoyed it - but didn't capture me or resonate with me like the previous ones. To me it felt like a few ideas they had for various TV specials and put them together into one full movie

Whether it was "necessary"or not I can't really say - I mean, is any movie truly "necessary"? And I don't think there is anything wrong with a fun and well made movie - lots of much worse movies still being made

I am glad that the next few movies are originals and not sequels. I have no issue with sequels in general, but I don't want them to be in a rut of making all or mostly sequels. Need a good balance

Certainly I would take another new Toy Story ahead of any more "Live action" remakes

The story brought nothing really new to the franchise like how compelling 3 was.

It was good but nothing breaking like the last three. The other toys were background fodder, and Bo’s given away story had no heart to it.

It was good but not amazing

Saw this unexpectedly last night, and have to agree with most thoughts here. Fun, and cute, but mostly fluff, and was not "all that", or even as good as I was hoping. The storyline actually dragged a bit, IMHO. Most of the newer characters were enjoyable, I did not LOVE Forkey like a LOT of people are raving about - he was just OK. I also STILL wanna know why it was never explained why several times he was referred to as a "spork" by other characters, but his name is still "fork" -y - unless I blacked out, and missed something? Like Julie mentioned in a previous show, I thought maybe it would be explained by Bonnie in the movie somehow. Unless Bonnie just can't say sporky? And if not - why not demonstrate that more clearly? I dunno, but if that's the ONE thing I KEPT thinking about before/during/after this movie I guess it can't have been all THAT immersive, eh? Or maybe I just have a pitbull mind, that can't let go of things? :o

Last edited:

Saw this unexpectedly last night, and have to agree with most thoughts here. Fun, and cute, but mostly fluff, and was not "all that", or even as good as I was hoping. The storyline actually dragged a bit, IMHO. Most of the newer characters were enjoyable, I did not LOVE Forkey like a LOT of people are raving about - he was just OK. I also STILL wanna know why it was never explained why several times he was referred to as a "spork" by other characters, but his name is still "fork" -y - unless I blacked out, and missed something? Like Julie mentioned in a previous show, I thought maybe it would be explained by Bonnie in the movie somehow. Unless Bonnie just can't say sporky? And if not - why not demonstrate that more clearly? I dunno, but if that's the ONE thing I KEPT thinking about before/during/after this movie I guess it can't have been all THAT immersive, eh? Or maybe I just have a pitbull mind, that can't let go of things? :o

Hi Heidi ....I haven’t seen it yet, might go this afternoon. I heard the reason they didn’t call the character sporky was because they felt Bonnie was to young to know what a spork was.

I also STILL wanna know why it was never explained why several times he was referred to as a "spork" by other characters, but his name is still "fork" -y - unless I blacked out, and missed something? Like Julie mentioned in a previous show, I thought maybe it would be explained by Bonnie in the movie somehow. Unless Bonnie just can't say sporky? And if not - why not demonstrate that more clearly? I dunno, but if that's the ONE thing I KEPT thinking about before/during/after this movie I guess it can't have been all THAT immersive, eh?
I think its simply a young child deciding what to name her creation. Logic doesn't necessarily fall into this decision on the child's part. Its what she's familiar with.

Thanx for the logical explanations, @GAN (hope you get to see it, enjoy it, and please let me know your thoughts afterwards, if you feel like it, my friend!), and @OKW Lover . They definitely make sense, but then I still (personally) feel they should have just used a fork, or a spoon.

I guess I'll just figure it was a character portrayal device, meant to be endearing, that fell totally flat to me, and so therefore was not developed enough, or was just moot. When something has to be explained (like a joke) it doesn't do its full potential job, IMHO. And I've heard a LOT of people expressing the same wonders/thoughts about fork/spork that's it not just me being a mental pitbull. :o

All in all though, like I've said - didn't take away from my enjoyment of the movie itself at all, but it also didn't make the character of Forky any more personal or endearing to me either. Just a plot point that left me (and many others) wondering, and fell like a lead balloon.

I know I will be crucified for this, but I thought this movie was WAY better than Toy Story 2 AND 3. I laughed so many times during this one and thought it was a great story and amazing visually. It was really enjoyable and honestly, will rewatch it several times. I really didn't like TS3 very much.

I know I will be crucified for this, but I thought this movie was WAY better than Toy Story 2 AND 3. I laughed so many times during this one and thought it was a great story and amazing visually. It was really enjoyable and honestly, will rewatch it several times. I really didn't like TS3 very much.
Hey - no crucifiction or judgement here - you like what you like. Glad you enjoyed it so much! And you didn't knife into me for spending so much time chewing over a fork/spork, so I can't fault you either! ;)

Last edited:
Hey - no crucifiction or judgement here - you like what you like. Glad you enjoyed it so much! And you didn't knife ointo me for spending so much time chewing over a fork/spork, so I can't fault you either! ;)

Ha ha. I think he should have been called sporky too, but not many 5 year olds know what a spork is, so...

It's funny, but my husband was tired when we went to the movie and fully expected to fall asleep. He always falls asleep at the movies. He never did! He was cracking up throughout the movie ("plush rush" did him in). He loved it too. He wasn't expecting much after reading some "meh" reviews. I think people are too hard on movies sometimes. My kids loved this one too.

Ha ha. I think he should have been called sporky too, but not many 5 year olds know what a spork is, so...

It's funny, but my husband was tired when we went to the movie and fully expected to fall asleep. He always falls asleep at the movies. He never did! He was cracking up throughout the movie ("plush rush" did him in). He loved it too. He wasn't expecting much after reading some "meh" reviews. I think people are too hard on movies sometimes. My kids loved this one too.
And it's funny, because friends are always all over me - I'm the one who always finds something positive, or likes movies they hate, or that the critics thump baldy. I just go by what <I> like, what <I> think. I've also been known to totally HATE things that get good, or great reviews, accolades, etc. Beautiful Mind and Frozen come to mind quickly.

IMHO it's people's DIFFERENCES - whether it be in cultures, or opinions/likes/dislikes that make the world interesting to me. Opinions, like their owners, are unique, wonderful, and to be respected, even if not agreed with. And I would hope most others in this world would feel the same.

<soapbox mode off> :o

Not sure if this would stop Disney for using the term "Spork" ... But there are patents out for "Spork" in both the US and the UK and knowing there would be tons of merchandise for him maybe they didn't want to deal with any potential lawsuits

Not sure if this would stop Disney for using the term "Spork" ... But there are patents out for "Spork" in both the US and the UK and knowing there would be tons of merchandise for him maybe they didn't want to deal with any potential lawsuits
Aaaaah - didn't know that, didn't think of that - interesting! And thanx!!

Bo Peep just felt so out of character...her arc I think hurt the film it just wasn’t fleshed out enough and then she’s just super bad chick without any real arc or development that we see...

The fork was stupid and could have been the theme of the next movie that doesn’t have the central character it does now and exploring that concept of what or what not a Toy is to someone.

The movie IMO would have been better had it been Woody and Buzz searching for Bo Peep as originally drafted and then someone realizes they have to left go of the past

ryno-my 21 dd agreed with you. she felt, as you, the character of woody was going against his ideology. my 15 ds disagreed but my daughter really couldn't agree with the end so much it ruined the film for her. i loved it. i just love sitting in a theater and being able to enjoy good quality film my whole family can experience together which is rare and it's disney. and a toss in of the four amigos (carl, carol, betty and mel) didn't hurt anything either!

Random thoughts...

I liked the movie quite a bit. But on the basis as a standalone. If I try to sync it up to the previous Toy Story movies then, yea, it's not as enjoyable. But about 20 minutes in I just got the feeling that, despite the name being tagged with a '4', it wasn't necessarily meant to be tied to the previous 3. You could literally watch TS4 without having seen the other films and not miss much in way of the story arc.

A LOT of laughs in the audience. From young and old. Myself and the 45 year old dad sitting about 8 rows back, included.

Did anyone else notice or feel like there were tinges of classic Disney songs in the movie? For instance, the song playing at the end of the movie (before the credits) had a hint of Little Mermaid's "Part of Your World" as well as Beauty and the Beast's "Belle" in the medley. My wife caught those as well. There was also a song toward the beginning half of the movie that made me think "hey, that sounds like x" but I can't recall what it was.

Random thoughts...

I liked the movie quite a bit. But on the basis as a standalone. If I try to sync it up to the previous Toy Story movies then, yea, it's not as enjoyable. But about 20 minutes in I just got the feeling that, despite the name being tagged with a '4', it wasn't necessarily meant to be tied to the previous 3. You could literally watch TS4 without having seen the other films and not miss much in way of the story arc.

A LOT of laughs in the audience. From young and old. Myself and the 45 year old dad sitting about 8 rows back, included.

Did anyone else notice or feel like there were tinges of classic Disney songs in the movie? For instance, the song playing at the end of the movie (before the credits) had a hint of Little Mermaid's "Part of Your World" as well as Beauty and the Beast's "Belle" in the medley. My wife caught those as well. There was also a song toward the beginning half of the movie that made me think "hey, that sounds like x" but I can't recall what it was.
funny you should say that because in mary poppins returns my daughter and i both heard some bars here and there of classic other disney movies such as peter pan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!