Tours are back!

More details of the holiday tour were published today on the Disney Parks blog:

"Returning this year is Holiday Time at the Disneyland Resort Tour, where this specially guided journey of Disneyland park tells stories of Walt Disney and gives unique facts of how Disneyland celebrates the season, followed by guests setting sail on “it’s a small world” Holiday. The 2.5 hour walking tour ends on Main Street, U.S.A., with a reserved viewing area of “A Christmas Fantasy” Parade where guests receive delicious holiday treats and a commemorative pin.

I'm glad they've brought the tours back, and disappointed that again we're paying more for less. Nonetheless, I booked both tours. I am going on 10/21 for the Walt's Main Street Tour so I can report on it. There is a podcast called Connecting with Walt that is part of the DIS Unplugged network, and the old Disneyland team is going to have another reunion show. I'll be reporting on that tour during the show. I've been to Walt's apartment several times - once, years ago, we got a private tour when Disney messed up a backstage tour, and they let us open cupboards, and go out on the patio. lol I do look forward to have a snack there instead of in the Tour Gardens, and wonder if we'll get the usual Jolly Holiday lunch (nice), or if they'll go cheap and give us rice crispy treats and a drink. I'll basically be looking for things that the average guest (not the Disney aficionados that are on these boards) would enjoy.

Then, my friend, Michael, (host of Connecting with Walt) is coming out the first weekend in December, and we're going to do the holiday tour on 12/2. I'm basically going so I can report on it, too, and see if it's anything like the tours we did in the past. I know they just said that we'll go on it's a Small World Holiday, but I'm hoping/expecting that they will also do Haunted Mansion, Nightmare Before Christmas, or give us passes to go on that.

For those who did the Holiday tour before, what did you specifically do for the 2.5 hours? Besides the mention of special Small World tour wanted to better understand the offering (which Disney gives very little information on!) Thanks in advance.

For those who did the Holiday tour before, what did you specifically do for the 2.5 hours? Besides the mention of special Small World tour wanted to better understand the offering (which Disney gives very little information on!) Thanks in advance.
You met near the City Hall. They gave you headphone things so you could hear better, and you visited holiday highlights in both parks. They talked about the history, the stories, and the fun facts (like how many Christmas lights are on the castle). There was info about things on Main St, like the candy making and the Jewish doorway, and Buena Vista St. There was lots of info about the decorations past and present, and we sang carols (!), and there was fun banter about things like how to say Merry Christmas in various languages. We were given samples of candy from the shop on Main St. We rode HMH and the first year I went, we also rode the train over to IASW. There was down time to listen to the info and all the walking took a while. The ride(s) also ate up time. After IASW, the last ride, you got a Christmas travel mug of cocoa and a Mickey gingerbread cookie and then you were led to the seating area, which was very near IASW and was awesome. At that point, the plaid gave us a commemorative Holiday Tour Christmas pin, which were always really cute. I loved it the first few years but the tour part started to get a little old after that. Getting that parade seating, cocoa and cookie plus the holiday rides was fabulous and worth the cost (it used to be a LOT cheaper). Things that can greatly affect your experience: the Plaid who is your guide, and the others in your group. I have had really fun groups that loved to participate and groups that showed no interest in any of it. It's so much more fun when you're with people who are enjoying it and participating.

We had made a reservation for the Walt Main Street Tour in 3 weeks but have cancelled it. We were allready unsure because of the high price, but with the price hike for everything else yesterday, we have to spent much more on other things, that we are not willing to pay this price for a tour. So because of the higher prices Disney will make a few buck more for food/drinks and merch with us, but will loose a couple of hundreds dollars, because we are not doing the tour.

Question regarding the Main Street Tour with Walt's Apartment and Patio: Should we plan to TIP the guide? If so, what is appropriate, given the short duration? (I'm thinking of the "standards" I use for full-day vs half-day cruise excursions ...)
Thanks!

Question regarding the Main Street Tour with Walt's Apartment and Patio: Should we plan to TIP the guide? If so, what is appropriate, given the short duration? (I'm thinking of the "standards" I use for full-day vs half-day cruise excursions ...)
Thanks!
I may be wrong, but I don't think tips are accepted by CMs at Disney.

I sure hope one doesn't have to cash out more than the absurd U$ 160.00 per person they are charging....

I sure hope one doesn't have to cash out more than the absurd U$ 160.00 per person they are charging....
People generally tip for a VIP tour, but regular tours are, as far as I've always heard, non-tip venues. But the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if it became an expectation. I mean, who DON'T you tip these days? :D

People generally tip for a VIP tour, but regular tours are, as far as I've always heard, non-tip venues.
Thanks to you both! Yep, I understood tipping was appropriate for the VIP tours. Thanks to you both for confirming what I was sorta thinking regarding regular tours.

Thanks to you both! Yep, I understood tipping was appropriate for the VIP tours. Thanks to you both for confirming what I was sorta thinking regarding regular tours.
We've never tipped for Holiday Tours and were told that tips were not accepted. Now, that was pre-Covid so who knows at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter