Touring plans updated crowd calendar for Jan 5 2019

I would most certainly cancel your breakfast. You have a sit down dinner and a dessert party the same day so skip the breakfast. Your breakfast is PRIME time of a less crowded park. You should get to the park before opening do the attractions and go back after your last FP. Or do your last FP and then eat lunch and head back to your hotel. You want your kids not to be stressed or it wont be fun for anyone and you really will have time to go back and rest. If it were me, I would do my last FP and eat back at the hotel, less people and rest. The parks will be PACKED. There is a very good chance they will open before posted opening time and they may soon extend the hours so it may stay open later. When you are back at hotel or on bus back to hotel try to secure another FP for when you return. Your breakfast, though, is eating away at valuable less crowded park time.
Ok, so I took some of your advice on hand. I cancelled our BOG breakfast ADR's, and found one for an early lunch at Crystal Palace instead. The problem with leaving mid day is that my FP's limited my flexibility. By the time we reached the 60 day mark, and believe me, I started the bookings at 07:00am on the dot, there were no early FP's left. So, mine are spread from 10:45 up until 3:00pm (space mountain, Seven Dwarfs & Peter Pan). I was thinking to just take it easy until the dessert party, maybe enjoying the shops or such.

Ok, so I took some of your advice on hand. I cancelled our BOG breakfast ADR's, and found one for an early lunch at Crystal Palace instead. The problem with leaving mid day is that my FP's limited my flexibility. By the time we reached the 60 day mark, and believe me, I started the bookings at 07:00am on the dot, there were no early FP's left. So, mine are spread from 10:45 up until 3:00pm (space mountain, Seven Dwarfs & Peter Pan). I was thinking to just take it easy until the dessert party, maybe enjoying the shops or such.

I think you will be fine as long as you don’t get paralyzed by the crowd!! Take a few minutes to people watch, enjoy the parade, hit up the shows (COP, Philharmagic, Country Bears, Tiki Room, Laugh Floor), eat a Mickey pretzel etc. have your list of things you really want to do vs those you can live without.

Also - if Splash and BTMR are on your list - try rope drop or end of night...

I think that was wise to cancel breakfast. The morning will be the only time during the day you will encounter the least amount of people all day.

It looks like you really dont want to go back to the hotel, which, to me is a must do especially with crowds and that you want to be there in the evening but that is just me.

Since you are not keen to leave the park, it was a good idea to book a sit down meal for lunch. I would also suggest to keep going on MDE and try to modify your FP times. When you are choosing to modify, select a specific time you are looking for, not morning or evening. You may be able to move them up since people tweak them all the time.

I just went onto MDE and hit 9 am and see PP and SM for 9-11 am, 7DMT is in evening but if you move up your other two you can do beginning 930 (which givus you until 1030 to use) etc. and then if you wanted keep trying to get 7DMT for earlier by modifying or move to evening and do after a hotel break.

Last edited:
Any time +\- 5 day's of a major Holiday is super busy. And don't get hung up on the parks if the parks are super busy check out resort hopping or Disney Springs, or goto fort wilderness and do the hoop-dee-doo dinner show. Or rent a boat or walk around the Boardwalk area or goto Animal Kingdom lodge and see the animals or just ride the monorail a few times. Disney World is so Huge you can spend several day's not even going into a park and have a great time. Point is if the parks are so crowded that your not enjoying it leave, you have 40 square miles to explore not just 4 parks.

Any time +\- 5 day's of a major Holiday is super busy. And don't get hung up on the parks if the parks are super busy check out resort hopping or Disney Springs, or goto fort wilderness and do the hoop-dee-doo dinner show. Or rent a boat or walk around the Boardwalk area or goto Animal Kingdom lodge and see the animals or just ride the monorail a few times. Disney World is so Huge you can spend several day's not even going into a park and have a great time. Point is if the parks are so crowded that your not enjoying it leave, you have 40 square miles to explore not just 4 parks.

It’s hard to leave when you have spent so much but it’s true that theres a lot to see but if it your day is going down hill - do it! Take a monorail ride and get a Dole Whip at the Poly instead of the insane line at MK or something.

But - I think you can totally stay all day with the right attitude and plans.

I think that was wise to cancel breakfast. The morning will be the only time during the day you will encounter the least amount of people all day.

It looks like you really dont want to go back to the hotel, which, to me is a must do especially with crowds and that you want to be there in the evening but that is just me.

We are the opposite. On the very busy days, we prefer to stay in the park and do low key things instead of a break - things like CoP, Country Bears, Hall of Presidents Philharmagic, TTA, Tiki Room, etc.

For us, leaving the park and coming back is a huge hassle when there are so many people there. Security and transportation are time consuming, there are long lines at the tapstiles to get back into the park, etc.

When the parks are quieter, we jump around much more with breaks, park hopping, etc.

On the day OP is there, the park is closing at 8pm (obviously hours could and likely will be extended), but an early close like that doesn’t leave much time for a hotel break on a super busy day.

Everyone is different, though!

I don't even think I would notice a crowd anymore, since we go at busy times. However, I might notice a significant lack of a crowd. I might just think the park is closing, especially since I have never been when it was less than a 5.
Same! We are locked into working around school schedules, so of course we are always traveling when everyone else is. LOL!

What about opening? Do they just let in earlier without actually updating opening hours?
This year's hours on Jan 5th for MK was 9am-11pm. I don't expect Disney to make any other changes. Animal Kingdom had it's hours increased too. They now open at 8am and close at 9pm on Jan 1-4 and 8pm on the 5th.

They’ve updated some of the January hours! January 1-5 MK is open 9-11 and AK has some earlier mornings, too. Was able to move our afternoon FoP FP from the later afternoon to 8:30 a.m.!

Yes, my daughter, who also has anxiety, really enjoys morning touring and LOVED MK EMM.

You have received a lot good advice here and I think you have a great plan.

Ever since I heard Len Testa say on a Podcast (not sure which one, but I think he was a guest) that Disney is cutting ride capacity during slower times of the year, I no longer think there is any "slow" time when it comes to wait times for attractions. I plan every ride schedule for every visit as if it will be very crowded regardless of what crowd calendars say about the park as a whole.

I just changed around my days. The plan is to arrive early, do SD, SM, PP and some more rides, and leave for an early dinner at Trail's End. We decided to move our dessert party to another day, and forgo staying at MK with all the crowds.

Last edited:
Rather than stay in the parks, visit one of the MK Resorts. One of my favorite things to do is to ride the boat over to Poly or Grand Floridian or Ft. Wilderness - grab a late lunch or snack, check out the hotel lobby, rest.... then head back to the MK.

All these resorts have quick service and sit down restaurants. We visited the same time frame last year, and the resort trees were up until the 6th or 7th... so that's a nice bonus.

I just changed around my days. The plan is to arrive early, do SD, SM, PP and some more rides, and leave for an early dinner at Trail's End. We decided to move our dessert party to another day, and forgo staying at MK with all the crowds.

I think this is perfect for what you have wanted for your family from the beginning. Just look at pictures of the crowds this week. It will be the same when we are there.
You will be so happy when you are walking out of MK with all your rides under your belt while people are just walking in to the park.
Just remember, it is very important to be there early for Rope Drop. Be there about 45-60 minutes early. When they let you on Main Street,
get to a rope and wait there to be let into the park and know what you are doing first and be on the correct side.
Have a plan. You will be fine as long as you have a plan. Do you have your FPs set for the MK day.

I think this is perfect for what you have wanted for your family from the beginning. Just look at pictures of the crowds this week. It will be the same when we are there.
You will be so happy when you are walking out of MK with all your rides under your belt while people are just walking in to the park.
Just remember, it is very important to be there early for Rope Drop. Be there about 45-60 minutes early. When they let you on Main Street,
get to a rope and wait there to be let into the park and know what you are doing first and be on the correct side.
Have a plan. You will be fine as long as you have a plan. Do you have your FPs set for the MK day.
Have all three FP's set. And as soon as we get through them, I'll get others, hopefully.

Thank you so much. I am pretty much on top of the planning, with day plans, and FP all set. We have BOG resi's for breakfast, so we will be there early, and booked the Happily Ever After dessert party. DH insisted on booking with the seating - at this point, with the crowds, I thank him for that :)

I planned some rides prior to the first FP (Space Mountain), and have Peter Pan & 7 Dwarfs for the other FP.

We thought to do the parade, but now we'll skip it. But because of the dessert party, we will have to stay in the park (staying at AOA), so we'll try to take it easy, have snack rests, and escape into the shops.

We'll wave to you on main street :)

To get a VIP spot for the FoF parade you can book a lunch package at Tony’s.

When you get to your first park go into guest relation and talk to them about your DD needs let them know what happens when she is crowded places. You do not need a dr note just you or her telling them her needs. There is a pass but it will be up to you to exsplain why she needs it. You still wait in line just not the physical line. Also you can post her needs on the disability part of this form there are lots of us with anxiety problems over there with tidbits that can really help make the trip better
I recall reading somewhere today (maybe at AllEars?) that there are also actual quiet spots set aside for people with medical needs who need a calm environment for a few minutes, so perhaps the OP could inquire about that as well when she's asking about the DAS.

Edit: The quiet rooms are located at first aid stations. Apparently not all first aid stations are big enough to have one. I don't think a DAS is needed to use one.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter