Tour Plan Resources

projectx3

Mouseketeer
New member here, a former Easywdw member (RIP, Josh 😢) with my first post.

IMO the touring guidance from Josh was second to none. We have our a trip coming up at WDW during Thanksgiving (first trip in 3 years) and I’m having trouble finding what I perceive to be a good touring plan for this trip. I registered on Touring Plans and frankly, was not impressed with what I found (start the day at HS with Star Tours? Really?). Maybe I’m not looking in the right place?

Anyway, does anyone here have a good resource they like to refer to?

I would check out the Theme Park Plans board here on the DISBoards. I use the Touring Plans app (Lines WDW on Android) when I'm in the parks to see how low the lines are compared to what Disney is showing.

IMO the touring guidance from Josh was second to none. We have our a trip coming up at WDW during Thanksgiving (first trip in 3 years) and I’m having trouble finding what I perceive to be a good touring plan for this trip. I registered on Touring Plans and frankly, was not impressed with what I found (start the day at HS with Star Tours? Really?). Maybe I’m not looking in the right place?

I live and die by Thrill Data. I use their data, and start with a framework from TP to come up with my own plans. Unfortunately due to the nature of G+, you can't really have a set-in-stone plan like in the days of FP+, but you still need some sort of guideline or play sheet as the day unfolds, so I come up with a plan for each park and list contingencies at every booking window. My kids would say that I'm being really "extra" if they knew how much planning went into the final result.

I trust Touring Plans to get it right most of the time, especially since re-opening. Take another look at what info you are getting from them and how to manipulate it. Also, watch their instructional videos on how to navigate each park using the various tools Disney and TP provide. Their plan for MNSSHP was absolutely spot on for us last week.

I'm not sure Josh could have come up with touring plans that worked effectively in this current Disney environment. The lines App from Touring Plans is one of the best tools you'll want. The wait times are great. Don't even look at the ones Disney gives you. Don't give up on the other features with Touring Plans plan layout info either. Play around with it more. There's 2 options when you are setting the plan, Optimize and something else I'm forgetting the word. One works, the other not so well. Try both, experiment.

I used touringplans.com and I didn't queue for pretty much anything; maybe 15 minutes here and there and very occasionally 30 minutes (but you must get to the park before opening). This was mid August and I did indeed start my tour of HS with Star Tours. Their plans are created with huge amounts of data collected over decades - I used their stuff in 2004 as well and didn't queue at all then and with the App it is even better now. I had Genie+ and they say they will start to build in that sort of data now. The really big ticket rides are often best done later - RofTR should not be done at opening for example. Their touring plans do allow you to put in your own order and see if you can beat them (you won't :)).

I like TP a good bit but I don't let it plan my trips in total. Do make sure you've selected if you're trying to minimize steps, etc. as that will dictate where TPs tells you to go. Where I trust TP more than park touring is the lines app, their wait times are more accurate than disney's posted and mde wait times.

I trust Touring Plans to get it right most of the time, especially since re-opening. Take another look at what info you are getting from them and how to manipulate it. Also, watch their instructional videos on how to navigate each park using the various tools Disney and TP provide. Their plan for MNSSHP was absolutely spot on for us last week.

I didn’t know there were specific plan available for the after hours parties.I haven’t seen one for the Christmas party, although I’ve already made out TP park plans

We’ll be there this December, where are the plans for the after hours parties listed?

I like TP a good bit but I don't let it plan my trips in total. Do make sure you've selected if you're trying to minimize steps, etc. as that will dictate where TPs tells you to go. Where I trust TP more than park touring is the lines app, their wait times are more accurate than disney's posted and mde wait times.
Bingo. I try not to take TP info as gospel because I've seen where that can get you into trouble. Also important to realize that touring plans are not one-size-fits-all so using a stock plan is a bit of a risk if you have particular preferences.

We have always had a lot of success with touring plans. I always build a personalized plan based on what we want to get done each day. I’ve never used the stock plans.

I cant speak for the website but the Touringplans Teaches videos on You Tube with Becky are excellent. She will walk you through a day at the park, telling you what to shoot for first and why along with wait time data etc.

Last edited:
Check out Disney Tourist Blog - he does have step by steps for each park - they are close to Josh's plans. I think the hardest thing is that there is a lot of backtracking with Genie+ so it's hard to do a plan like Josh used to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter