• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Torture Tours

burns44

Earning My Ears
Hi Guys!

I read so much about going to time share presentations and getting free park hoppers. Can anyone out there helpo me find a few presentations. My wife and I are interested in possibly buying one, but would love the opportunity to get some free tix out of a presentation. Our trip is comin up in about two weeks? Is there a way for us fins some of these place son the web?

And about the presentations, how much do they pressure you to buy? Do you feel raped when you walk out of the place. Much advice needed.

Thanks in Advance!

Co worker of my DH owns at Isle of Bali, so we thought we would give it a try. Nice place. The presentation lasted about 2 hrs, and by the end of it we were eally tired of saying no. When they finally got the hint we were able to collect $90 disney dollars and be on our way. Not sure of their phone number, but you can also get a good price on a weeks stay if you are doing the tour. We just did the tour on it's own.

A friend of mine did this a couple of years ago in the Orlando area. She said, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN. I can't remember what she said she got out of it, but the presentation was torture for 4 hours. She said she walked out in tears because the salesmen make you feel like "idiots" for not buying.

Another friend had a similar experience in a different geographic region.

I love to save money to continue financing my Disney trips, but, having to put up with that stuff is just not worth it.

Did the westgate tour in Dec. We must have lucked out and had a decent, friendly, down to earth guy help us.(if there is such a thing) We ended up saving $150 bucks!WOW

They got us away from our car, had to get on a shuttle, then a golf cart.... I would have chewed my own leg off to get away from that idiot!! Talk about pressure! It was a terrible experience. I think I would almost pay double not to have to do a time share tour. I am sure all of them are not as awful as ours was, but uuuuggggghhhh!!! It wasted half of our day.

We did the Sheridon Vistanna Time share.It was for 3 day US and IOA tickets.It saved us a bundle. They gave us the tickets First,our relaxed tour guide told us it would take two hours and we were done in two hours. Then only pressure was right at the end,He tryed 3 different ways to finance it,but we said "We can't we are spending ALL our extra money on this once in a life time trip!!So,we can't. " After that they sent 1 more person over with the rock bottom deal. We repeated what we had all ready said and that was that. We left with our FREE tickets.

First of all, I'd like to thank all who have posted on this board. I only found this board last week and am so grateful for all of the awesome info here!

I, too, was wondering about these timeshare presentations. I searched, via Yahoo, for "free Disney World tickets" and found quite a few. The one that I liked the most was Orlando4free.com. Has anybody else ever done a tour/presenation through this company?? They say their presentation is only 90 minutes long and you can choose 2 FREE one-day tickets, or $100 off 2 multiple-day tickets. Plus, they also offer discounted tickets, if you need more, and great prices on discounted lodging. We have been contemplating this whole time-share thing so we're willing to sit through it for 90 minutes. Please, any feedback on this particular site would be greatly appreciated!

3 years ago, DH and I sat through the DVC spiel. At the time, I thought it was kinda high pressure but after asking around, I found it was a piece of cake in comparison to others.

We did the DVC tour and found it very low pressure. I think he might have asked if we wanted to buy but we just said we had to think about it and there was no pressure at all. I've heard other ones can be pretty awful though - not sure it's worth it.

Just a couple notes. If you are thinking of buying into a timeshare check the resales. Many people buy in under the salesmans pressure then decide they dont really want it so they sell. There are brokers that deal in these. Another way is check the ebay auctions. I watch them and have seen some good deals. Saw one go last week for orlando. It was a june week and had RCI tradability. The end bid for the deed was $810.00and it had a mortgage free deed. Make sure you are not buying another persons mortgage with the deed.
I have a brother in law that is a "timeshare demo freak" He books the tour for very early in the AM and tells them his wife wont come. Most of them say ok. He searches for the ones that give 2 day passes like Seaworld or Universal. He visits the park then sells the remainding day to a parking lot vendor (like the ones in 7-11) Next day its another tour and more passes. The only one he got stumped on this year was a place that gave a 5 day Seaworld pass which he & his wife had to sign to activate. That one he could not sell. Oh well just wanted to let ya know , it works for him. As for me I just pay the price & get in the parks, cant deal with the sales people LOL

Maybe ask the question has anyone ever gotten out after 90 minutes. While they say the presentation may be 90 minutes, if you have to wait a bit before someone starts in, sometimes there's other delays. The DVC is a good presentation. We did it, low pressure, very quick - but you don't get anything for taking it (except maybe a free lunch, or a personal shuttle ride) We did Westgate one year. We had to wait in line 1/2 hour after the presentaion to get our freebies. Ended up eating up over 3 hours of our day and while we stayed there for $69 for two nights, DH said NEVER AGAIN! (and the freebies we got, we couldn't use cuz we did the presentation on our last day and they all expired with a couple months of issuing.

If any of you are seriously contemplating a timeshare purchase, there's an invaluable resource out there, which will save you thousands of dollars! It's call TUG - Timeshare Users Group, a membership group of individual owners. The main web site provides access for non-members, to excellent Advice articles as well as many Bulletin Board Forums, just like these at DIS, on the topics related to timeshare ownership, usage & travel. Don't head for timeshare without it! ;)

For those who choose to join TUG ($15/first year), there are also over 1800 timeshare resorts worldwide, descriptively reviewed & rated (on a scale of 1-10) by regular people who have owned, traded in or toured them. We have owned multiple timeshares (purchased cheaply on resale) and traded quite often. We love it! We would not buy nor accept an exchange week until we've read the TUG reviews! Setting reasonable expectations is important to us. Please consider giving my name as a referral, if you choose to join TUG, as it extends my membership for 6 months free.

Also, the front page at TUG has a link to promotional owner referrals, available to anyone. So if you'd like to tour a resort on a discounted stay, check there to see if your desired resort has a current promo.

We own with Fairfield, which has a Gold Crown resort in Kissimmee, Fairfield at Cypress Palms Resort. I'd be happy to forward your name & info for a call-back from their sales staff. I would caution anyone who wants to do this to be prepared for high pressure. As much as we thoroughly enjoy our Fairfield timeshare ownership, their developer sales tactics are as bad as most, if not worse. :( And I do NOT recommend buying timeshare from the developer, only resales discounted at 50%-75% off, except in very limited, very specific circumstances. JMHO.

I hope this info (especially TUG) helps someone.

Lisa P. potter@a-o.com

p.s., I forgot to mention... DVC offers the lowest pressure tours but no freebies, no promo rentals. Marriott is probably the next lowest pressure. Other resorts will vary pretty dramatically with the individual salesperson you get and their idea of their chances at persuading you to buy. If you get a salesperson who is confident of the product's ability to sell itself, they will be easiest to deal with.

Remember that these folks live on the commissions and experience has shown them that more pressure does work, by the numbers. The less you say, the shorter your interview answers, the less info they have on you, the harder it is to hook you. So expect them to act like an attentive friend... until they understand you won't buy. We start by letting them know that we've owned many timeshares and always buy them for under $3,000 resale. Mentioning that we're members of TUG helps too... many of them read TUG and know we won't be pushovers.
Happy timesharing!!! :bounce: :cool: :sunny: :cool: :bounce:

I am DYING over the chew your own leg of comment! ROTFLOL! Thanks for reminding me why I don't ever want to do this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter