Tortola questions

dkis4nu

Mouseketeer
We aren’t beach or water sports(I know, what are we doing on a cruise, right?)people, but we love shopping, local food, drink & sightseeing,. For those that have been to Tortola, what you point us toward?
Thanks

dk

Tortola is a beachy place that is usually the stepping stone to other beachy places like the Baths or Jost van Dyke. There is a bit of a shopping mall at the port with some food there. Not very big and I can't speak to the food served there as I haven't eaten there. I would check TripAdvisor for some tours that may be available of the island that may include history of the island etc. and some ideas of where to go to eat.

We haven’t been yet but we are going later this year and the top recommendation I’ve seen is heading to the Baths on Virgin Gorda. There are a lot restaurants on that island too.

Here’s recommendations from a Celebrity Cruise Line website. These are the ones that don’t involve beaches or water activities.

IMG_0057.jpegIMG_0056.jpegIMG_0055.jpegIMG_0053.jpegIMG_0054.jpegIMG_0052.jpeg

…Food for thought

My wife and I were there in November 2022 on the Fantasy. It is a small port with some shops and restaurants right near the pier. I found it interesting we stayed there longer than we stayed in St Thomas even tho St Thomas has so much more to do.

While we were there we were with friends and we all went to Pusser's. It is a bar/restaurant with a gift shop. It is away from the cruise port and for us it was a short walk. They have the famous drink called the "The Painkiller" that we all had to try.
Near by there was also an outdoor market however we did not get a chance to visit it.

This is something not sponsored by the cruise line. You have to be comfortable wandering around on your own away from the pier.
Of all the cruises my wife and I have been on over the years the only port we will not leave on our own is Falmouth Jamaica, but thats just us, but some people do it all the time.

Some people do not feel comfortable wandering away from the pier on their own due to personal safety issues. In this day and age I can't blame them.

Once again you have to feel comfortable wandering around on your own.

My wife and I were there in November 2022 on the Fantasy. It is a small port with some shops and restaurants right near the pier. I found it interesting we stayed there longer than we stayed in St Thomas even tho St Thomas has so much more to do.

While we were there we were with friends and we all went to Pusser's. It is a bar/restaurant with a gift shop. It is away from the cruise port and for us it was a short walk. They have the famous drink called the "The Painkiller" that we all had to try.
Near by there was also an outdoor market however we did not get a chance to visit it.

This is something not sponsored by the cruise line. You have to be comfortable wandering around on your own away from the pier.
Of all the cruises my wife and I have been on over the years the only port we will not leave on our own is Falmouth Jamaica, but thats just us, but some people do it all the time.

Some people do not feel comfortable wandering away from the pier on their own due to personal safety issues. In this day and age I can't blame them.

Once again you have to feel comfortable wandering around on your own.

Thanks for that info. We just did some research on Pussers & it sounds good! Full of fun history -think we’ll try it.

dk

The Craft's Alive Village is not too far from Pussers (you'll actually pass by it first if walking) and is worth a look. We bought several things from there and enjoyed chatting with some of the shopkeepers

We did the zipline this past January in Tortola. It was all above the treetops with beautiful views. It didn't quite as high up since we had the trees below. We did not book through Disney. It was really easy to grab a taxi as soon as we got off the ship and they took us right up to the zipline. It was significantly cheaper to do it this way and we felt totally safe and had plenty of time after we got back from ziplining to do some shopping etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter