Torn between building a Droid or a LightSaber

FigaroandFifi

Mouseketeer
So it is getting close to booking our timeslots for building Droids or LightSabers and I a really struggling with the choice. My 16 yo son is definitely doing the lightsaber but I just can't decide. Part of me wants to build the lightsaber so I can battle my son, lol. But the other part wants to build a droid and be able to have it interact at the park and see what it is like at home (and how the dog will react, lol). I also have a great nephew that is turning 1 in June (our trip is July) I thought maybe he would like to watch it move around when he comes over (I am sure there won't be a lack of volunteers to work it for him, lol). Anyone else have a hard time deciding? How did you make the choice?

Personally this was never an either/or choice for me. I figured doing both was cheaper than making a second trip to do the one I missed. (Although I wound up loving Galaxy’s Edge so much I made a second trip anyway . . .)

With that said, building a droid was the one thing I was most excited for in my whole trip. I spent a year sketching out different color combinations so if you consider the price per hour of entertainment it provided me it was actually quite inexpensive, LOL. And I love my little bugger, they’re just so charming. Personally I would not have missed this because I just love droids.

If you have to choose, I would do the lightsaber first. Most of the time you can walk up with the droids, and it's not that special an experience. It's nice enough, but it's not something that you will feel like you are missing said. That said, go into the lightsaber experience understanding that, without making a better blade, they are design for only light contact at best.

I was on YouTube this morning and one of the people I was watching said they were out of the carry boxes for the Droids and the carry tubes for the LightSabers. I am hoping both are back in stock when we get there, I don't want to spend money on the tube for the saber but I did see this backpack for the droid and I kinda liked the idea behind it so I will probably get that if I do the droid.

I was on YouTube this morning and one of the people I was watching said they were out of the carry boxes for the Droids and the carry tubes for the LightSabers. I am hoping both are back in stock when we get there, I don't want to spend money on the tube for the saber but I did see this backpack for the droid and I kinda liked the idea behind it so I will probably get that if I do the droid.

Oh the droid backpacks are very handy, I’d recommend getting one even if the boxes are in stock! Nice for carrying your droid around Batuu and also makes a perfect carryon on the way home.

No matter which way you go, hope everything is in stock for your trip! :flower1:

Our family had three adults and a child do the lightsaber. One child did droid. The ceremony for the lightsaber brought tears to all of our eyes. It is so worth the experience. My daughter loves her droid but loved watching the ceremony.

If I could go back, I probably wouldn't have done the lightsaber, I would have just gone with my husband and built one together. And then I would have done just one droid together. It's really just personal preference. I also don't have a lot of space to display stuff in my house. I don't do cosplay or anything so my lightsaber just hangs out in my closet most of the time.

The lightsabers are more fun and special to build though. The droid depot is kind of a build a bear workshop assembly line vibe.

Also, the lightsabers aren't super battle ready, so just be careful with them! The photopass photographers can do cool photos with you and your son and your lightsabers though!

Personally this was never an either/or choice for me. I figured doing both was cheaper than making a second trip to do the one I missed. (Although I wound up loving Galaxy’s Edge so much I made a second trip anyway . . .)

With that said, building a droid was the one thing I was most excited for in my whole trip. I spent a year sketching out different color combinations so if you consider the price per hour of entertainment it provided me it was actually quite inexpensive, LOL. And I love my little bugger, they’re just so charming. Personally I would not have missed this because I just love droids.
Did you purchase the backpack to carry it in? Did you notice it "interacting" with droids around the park? Just curious because I have been seeing YouTube videos and they look really cute.

Did you purchase the backpack to carry it in? Did you notice it "interacting" with droids around the park? Just curious because I have been seeing YouTube videos and they look really cute.

Yes, I got the backpack. Unfortunately I didn’t get to carry my droid all over the outpost because it started raining, but he did beep and boop at people going by. :) The backpack also made it easy to carry him through the RoTR queue.

Yes, I got the backpack. Unfortunately I didn’t get to carry my droid all over the outpost because it started raining, but he did beep and boop at people going by. :) The backpack also made it easy to carry him through the RoTR queue.
Thanks!! I thought the backpack was a really cute idea, lol. Do you have a personality chip? If so, how did you decide on personality?

If I had to choose it would be the lightsaber. The droid building does not have the same level of story building.

Thanks!! I thought the backpack was a really cute idea, lol. Do you have a personality chip? If so, how did you decide on personality?

Yes the backpack is very cute with the little window they look out of. :)

My guy has a blue personality chip. I wanted a “Resistance” chip and just looking at him I thought the “blue” sounds were what he would sound like (he has a blue/purple/silver color scheme).

The experience of building the light saber adds value. One extra person per saber can tag along without purchase. For us as parents we didn’t need our own sabers and it was awesome being with the kids to build theirs. It was really cool.

The Droid Depot has a display of the personality chips with buttons that will play the different sounds from each chip. They're a bit hard to hear if the store is busy. I bought a Bounty Hunter and a First Order chip. I found the First Order chip reacted a bit more when walking around, but that could've just been my mind playing mind tricks on me.

The experience of building the light saber adds value. One extra person per saber can tag along without purchase. For us as parents we didn’t need our own sabers and it was awesome being with the kids to build theirs. It was really cool.
Yes! Two of my boys (15 and 23) did it in April and I went in as a spectator (along with DS23's GF). Really great experience for them and me!

I haven't done either, but would be torn as well. From what I've heard, building the lightsaber is better, but having the droid after you come home is better. I think if I was by myself, I'd do the droid, but if my DS was doing the lightsaber, I'd do that with him.

more forward thinking management ….

So it is getting close to booking our timeslots for building Droids or LightSabers and I a really struggling with the choice. My 16 yo son is definitely doing the lightsaber but I just can't decide. Part of me wants to build the lightsaber so I can battle my son, lol. But the other part wants to build a droid and be able to have it interact at the park and see what it is like at home (and how the dog will react, lol). I also have a great nephew that is turning 1 in June (our trip is July) I thought maybe he would like to watch it move around when he comes over (I am sure there won't be a lack of volunteers to work it for him, lol). Anyone else have a hard time deciding? How did you make the choice?
If I had to choose between the 2, definitely go with the lightsaber.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter