• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Topsider Buffet for Dinner

sbatty

Mouseketeer
How does Topsider's work for dinner? Do you help yourself from a buffet or do you order off of a menu? How does the food compare to what is being served in the dinning room?

Topsiders is always a buffet. They have regular kid food (chicken fingers, fries, mac & cheese, etc.) as the club/lab kids always eat there. THey also have an assortment of adult foods. Personally, I prefer to sit and be served. The food is good, but I like the dining room food better.

Sodas are NOT free in topsiders, and they are in the dining rooms. There are plenty of other drinks available though...the servers will help you carry trays, etc. (a biggie with moms).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Topsiders, except that I like the dining rooms for dinner. The breakfast buffets are really good, especially if you want something other than the standard breakfast menu.

We just returned yesterday from the 1-17 Western cruise and we ate one evening at topsiders. It was not a buffet like we expected as we ordered off the menu. We were very disappointed in this and the service was not like in the dining rooms. I guess we had become spoiled and expected since it was not a buffet the service would be of the same quality as in the dining rooms. We felt this was the training for servers to move up to the dining rooms. When we decided to skip our dining rotation that evening we really wanted something quick and casual as the buffet but, that was not what we encountered. On our next cruise we will not skip any dinners in the main dining rooms.

We ate dinner at Topsiders on our 11/8 Western on Key West night. We just didn't feel like dressing up & wanted to eat earlier than our 8:30 seating that night. We thought it was surprisingly good. The service was excellent. You could choose to go up to the buffet for appetizers & desserts, or they would bring them to you. We didn't get charged for DD's soda, just for drinks. The evening we were there, they had the same menu as one of the dining rooms.

I think they do train some newer servers there, but they were very helpful and attentive to us. We observed many families coming in dressed for dinner- not just people dressing casually, which surprised us.

We prefer the dining rooms too, but this was a nice alternative.

~ Linda :boat:

I agree with dianthus. We were pleasantly surprised. We ate at Topsiders one night on our 7 night Western cruise because we didn't want to rush to get to the early seating. It had a very different atmosphere from the day time. The lighting was dimmed and we had a server at our table getting our drinks. We were told to go to the buffet for our appetizers and our entrees were served to us at the table. My DH had a fettucine alfredo that he enjoyed and I had a really good rib eye steak. My two DS's ate from the children's menu. We too enjoy the dining rooms but this was a nice alternative on a day when our afternoon activities would have had us rush for early seating.

We tried Toppersiders for dinner once. We would have like the buffet (because it would have been faster), but it worked well for us because we wanted to see the 'show' and go to a movie that would have run into our dining time.

So it is nice to have the option, but we like the regular dining rooms better.

DJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter