Tom Cruise?

Now that you are done ranting.

Go back to the Lucas Thread and read where we were discussing the high republic and tell me the volume of posters did not think I was crazy for not liking The High Republic? Even you I am pretty sure defended the character Geode if I remember correctly.

Nobody said that you were crazy for not liking it. People expressed that they - and many other fans - do like it. I've never read it, but I find the concept of the Geode character interesting and a little funny. That doesn't mean I think it's "high art" or that I love the series. They're still not interesting enough for me to read them as I don't typically get into Star Wars books. I'm looking forward to the show though.

Mrs. wabbott saw Top Gun: Maverick and told me that in the trailers, Cruise came onscreen to thank everyone for coming to see the movie. Don't recall ever seeing a movie star thank his customers for the business. Maybe he's gotten a dose of humility in his old age.

Mrs. wabbott saw Top Gun: Maverick and told me that in the trailers, Cruise came onscreen to thank everyone for coming to see the movie. Don't recall ever seeing a movie star thank his customers for the business. Maybe he's gotten a dose of humility in his old age.

They were doing this commonly right after COVID especially. A lot of Disney movies had that.

HAH! Which gives away how often I go to movie theaters any more.

Disney was even doing that before COVID with a few films. Like, I remember Incredibles 2 being one of them where the cast thanked fans for waiting so long for a sequel. It seems like these little sippets were popular for a while, but then died down.

Eh, maybe it's just me but I avoid movies that he is in. Not because of the movies but because Tom Cruise comes across as very creepy.
I agree. I will not go to any movie that he is in. Yuck. I think the Vampire Lestat was tha lst time I saw a Tom Cruise movie... him combined with the butchering of the Ann Rice novels was enough for me for the rest of this lifetime.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that at all. Cruise genuinely appears to adore and appreciate his fan base. He lost his cool a bunch during the filming of Top Gun due it being important and wanting to give Fans something good to see in the theaters. He truly appears to want to give his fans their moneys worth when they come to his movies. He takes appears to take very seriously meeting his fans expectations.

Last edited:

I have to confess, I'm partial to Valkyrie, partly because of the historical value. I also watch the Jack Reacher movies whenever they play on TV.

It's a sad commentary on our society that he's so popular. He's had a few whiffs too though - The Mummy and Edge of Tomorrow are semi-recent misses. I'm not sure that people so much turn out for him, moreso than they just like the types of movies he usually does.
CAN NOT STAND TOM CRUISE! personal and professional.

Yeah there are lots of creepy, uncomfortable people in Hollywood but somehow he is permitted to be flagrant about it, given passes on it AND he doesn't seem to be able to connect with others in a humanity way. He's seems like this lone island of cuckoo, and not in a cool way.

We went to see the movie last night because I grew up on Mission Impossible, my kids grew up with TC Mission Impossible (not the same) and the action makes it go fast. Was it a great story - nope - very very predictable all the way through. Is TC a good actor - he is tremendously a terrible actor unless they cover him with makeup which helps you forget it is him or if his stiff lack of personality works for the movie like Rainman. He literally plays the part of Tom Cruise in every single movie. BORING! He is a GREAT STUNTMAN. He loves stunts, he executes them well, he is great at straining his face and grunting. I am sure he wants to leave this world in a glorious stunt.

Now the movie just opened and I'll say there were still maybe 20 people in the theater so it's not blowing up here. It was fast and fun and a full blown stunt movie. To me it was more an ensemble cast that each drew me in to their story - TC story was STUNTS. People like action - our Indiana Jones theater was much more crowded. But at this point we need to just change Ethan Hunt's name to Tom Cruise and be done with it.

This thread is a perfect example of what I am talking about. At least 3 people already saying Tom Cruise is yucky and they wont go see his stuff. This man will have two of the top 4 grossing movies in the last two years in Hollywood, that is like 50 freaking percent of the biggest movies made lately from one movie star. Just continues to prove to me that the echo chamber on here doesn't match up very well at all with the thoughts of the general audiences.

I have been ragged on here for thinking I am Mr. Average Joe movie goer, but threads like this continue to suggest to me that I might indeed be much closer to the average moviegoer when compared to most of you all.

I really like a few things that are obscure and not well liked by others, but for the most part if I like something it will do well in the theaters and have really good audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

For example there was tons of negative press for the Joker movie a few years back. I went and saw it by myself in a near empty theatre the opening week. I told my wife when I got home that the movie was incredible and when the word would gets out, this thing is gonna be a hit. I will miss on some, but not many. For example I thought Ghostbusters Afterlife would do better than it did. It did fine and actually made some money and revived a damaged brand, but I really thought it would have done a little better in the box office.

Another is Monty Pythons Holy Grail movie. I love it, like really really realy love it, and whole lot of people think it is one of the stupidest things ever made.

Last edited:
This thread is a perfect example of what I am talking about. At least 3 people already saying Tom Cruise is yucky and they wont go see his stuff. This man will have two of the top 4 grossing movies in the last two years in Hollywood, that is like 50 freaking percent of the biggest movies made from one movie star. Just continues to prove to me that the echo chamber on here doesn't match up very well at all with the thoughts of the general audiences.

But you do realize that this is a forum that attracts specific people who like specific things. We are generally Disney fans and geeks/berds, or film buffs. We are apt to like certain types of genre entertainment more - it makes sense that we would be more interested in seeing Haunted Mansion over Mission: Impossible. Even then, there is dissent. There are a lot of people here who don't like Avatar, some who do like it, some who absolutely love it, etc. We are not a monolith, yet you try to paint us as such.

Obviously Tom Cruise has had a pretty successful career and people like, or at least go see, a lot of his movies. So what? You keep saying it like you have to prove it. We get it. Just because we don't like it doesn't mean we don't see the reality of it.

Also, for someonw who hates "Mary Sues" so much, isn't like every character Tom Cruise plays one? I mean, they are always these stalwart know-it-alls who are the best there is at what they do. That's one of the reasons that I don't care for his stuff.

CAN NOT STAND TOM CRUISE! personal and professional.

Yeah there are lots of creepy, uncomfortable people in Hollywood but somehow he is permitted to be flagrant about it, given passes on it AND he doesn't seem to be able to connect with others in a humanity way. He's seems like this lone island of cuckoo, and not in a cool way.

We went to see the movie last night because I grew up on Mission Impossible, my kids grew up with TC Mission Impossible (not the same) and the action makes it go fast. Was it a great story - nope - very very predictable all the way through. Is TC a good actor - he is tremendously a terrible actor unless they cover him with makeup which helps you forget it is him or if his stiff lack of personality works for the movie like Rainman. He literally plays the part of Tom Cruise in every single movie. BORING! He is a GREAT STUNTMAN. He loves stunts, he executes them well, he is great at straining his face and grunting. I am sure he wants to leave this world in a glorious stunt.

Now the movie just opened and I'll say there were still maybe 20 people in the theater so it's not blowing up here. It was fast and fun and a full blown stunt movie. To me it was more an ensemble cast that each drew me in to their story - TC story was STUNTS. People like action - our Indiana Jones theater was much more crowded. But at this point we need to just change Ethan Hunt's name to Tom Cruise and be done with it.

Man, good for you to be able to sit thorugh a Tom Cruise movie! 🤣 I was always a Mission: Impossible fan too- but that first movie? 🤮 Hated it!

Tom's legit. People who hate on the guy are part of a very small vocal internet minority at this point. anyone actively "avoiding" his films because of stuff they assume about his personal life are just robbing themselves of serious entertainment.

the MI series is still very good. Top Gun sequel was tremendous. Better than it had to be. Can't say that about a lot of other sequels/series these days.
the echo chamber on here doesn't match up very well at all with the thoughts of the general audiences
this is rather obvious

now is Cruise the LAST/only action star left? I don't know about that. i thought Keanu was perfect in the John Wick series (they don't draw the money like MI and Top Gun do though)

Man, good for you to be able to sit thorugh a Tom Cruise movie! 🤣 I was always a Mission: Impossible fan too- but that first movie? 🤮 Hated it!
I try to look at the movie as a whole and the cast as an ensemble because he just isn't interesting enough to carry the movies. His stunts do that for him.

What was really strange and I've never seen for a new movie (I've seen for re-releases of classics) is there was a short few minutes .... of I think the Director and Tom Cruise just sitting and thanking us for coming to the movie. Director was conversational, Tom was stiff, looked like he just woke up and said something to "we make movies for the big screen for you." It was weird and completely unnecessary. Just start the movie already.

I try to look at the movie as a whole and the cast as an ensemble because he just isn't interesting enough to carry the movies. His stunts do that for him.

What was really strange and I've never seen for a new movie (I've seen for re-releases of classics) is there was a short few minutes .... of I think the Director and Tom Cruise just sitting and thanking us for coming to the movie. Director was conversational, Tom was stiff, looked like he just woke up and said something to "we make movies for the big screen for you." It was weird and completely unnecessary. Just start the movie already.

No, they did this on several Disney movies, even before COVID. Incredibles 2 was one. I can't specifically remember any others, but maybe. It's been on a few.

For me, "stunts" aren't that exciting anyway. I hated the first movie becuase they killed off the team - which you are right, were all way more interesting than Tom Cruise - but also what they did to Jim Phelps. Peter Graves was originally going to appear in the movie until he found out. It was a heartbreaking move.

I agree. I will not go to any movie that he is in. Yuck. I think the Vampire Lestat was tha lst time I saw a Tom Cruise movie... him combined with the butchering of the Ann Rice novels was enough for me for the rest of this lifetime.
I can't remember the last time I saw a movie he was in. It's a mixture of him and the stuff he's in not being my thing. Doesn't mean other people can't enjoy it. Apparently that means I'm in an echo chamber but I'm also super picky about what I pay to go see in theaters lol

Tom's legit. People who hate on the guy are part of a very small vocal internet minority at this point. anyone actively "avoiding" his films because of stuff they assume about his personal life are just robbing themselves of serious entertainment.

the MI series is still very good. Top Gun sequel was tremendous. Better than it had to be. Can't say that about a lot of other sequels/series these days.

this is rather obvious

now is Cruise the LAST/only action star left? I don't know about that. i thought Keanu was perfect in the John Wick series (they don't draw the money like MI and Top Gun do though)
Thanks for the response, it is nice to know there are some average Joes & Jills on here after all.

I mean Christain Bale is a massive freak and people still like him for the most part. How about Juaquin Phoenix? He appears to be a colossal weirdo. Like I said most of these people are!

You don't think Johnie Depp is a freak?

I mean Christain Bale is a massive freak and people still like him for the most part. How about Juaquin Phoenix? He appears to be a colossal weirdo. Like I said most of these people are!

Look, I've already said that it's not because he's a "freak" but rahter that I find him unlikeable - freaky tendencies and all. I don't much care for Christian Bale either. Joaquin was okay. Johnny is a weird guy for sure, and he plays quirky roles that suit him. Tom always plays the same uber-warrior guy in everything. He just comes off as smug, which to me is an unlikeable trait (No offense @Smugpugmug 😁).

I wouldn't even go that far. I don't think of these guys/gals as weirdos or whatever you want to say. they're different from me, sure. they're artists. i appreciate a good artist, i appreciate their work. i don't judge them based on what i hear about them online or in magazines.

if cameras followed me everywhere and you had TMZ drawing conclusions on me based on rumors, i'm sure people would think i was weird too. we all are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter