Tom Cruise?

PolymerSkywalker

DIS Veteran
Is Tom Cruise the last remaining bona fide movie star? I mean his Mission Impossible #7 is predicted to hit $250 million box office on its opening weekend. I am just not sure there is a star alive male or female that people will line up to see in a movie like Tom Cruise.

It's a sad commentary on our society that he's so popular. He's had a few whiffs too though - The Mummy and Edge of Tomorrow are semi-recent misses. I'm not sure that people so much turn out for him, moreso than they just like the types of movies he usually does.

It's a sad commentary on our society that he's so popular. He's had a few whiffs too though - The Mummy and Edge of Tomorrow are semi-recent misses. I'm not sure that people so much turn out for him, moreso than they just like the types of movies he usually does.
Why is it sad that people like feel good action movies where the traditional hero wins in the end?

Seems like you prefer the Rian Johnson method of "diverting expectations" instead.

Eh, maybe it's just me but I avoid movies that he is in. Not because of the movies but because Tom Cruise comes across as very creepy.
Yes, he is a creepy weirdo who is very involved in a very odd religion. Lots of Hollywood elites are creepy weridos though arent they? Here is the thing though, he doesn't put one spec of any of that weirdo crap in his movies. He gives the audience what they want, and they love him for it! He loves his fans too, as he is constantly thanking them while jumping out of a plane and stuff like that.

Yes, he is a creepy weirdo who is very involved in a very odd religion. Lots of Hollywood elites are creepy weridos though arent they? Here is the thing though, he doesn't put one spec of any of that in his movies. He gives the audience what they want, and they love him for it! He loves his fans too, as he is constantly thanking them while jumping out of a plane and stuff like that.

It's honestly not really that - lots of Hollywood folks are "werid." He just comes off as unlikeable - even his characters. Honestly, I don't know that I'd consider his movies "feel-good action movies" anyway considering the characters that he plays, or maybe just how he plays them. He's just hard to connect with. Also, Mission: Impossilbe movies certianly are NOT "feel good."

Last edited:
It's honestly not really that - lots of Hollywood folks are "werid." He just comes off as unlikeable - even his characters. Honestly, I don't know that I'd consider his movies "feel-good action movies" anyway considering the characters that he plays, or maybe just how he plays them. He's just hard to connect with. Also, Mission:Impossilbe movies certianly are NOT "feel good."
But you know exactly what they are right? Double crossing by someone you think you are double crossing. Nothing appears to be what it actually is. Great fight scenes, and incredible stunts. It is what it is, and people line up to watch Tom do his thing. His movies look organic and real and not preachy at all.

Compare this to all the social justice crap they seem to cram into lots of other movies today. Fans want to be entertained and not preached to.

Last edited:
Yes, he is a creepy weirdo who is very involved in a very odd religion. Lots of Hollywood elites are creepy weridos though arent they? Here is the thing though, he doesn't put one spec of any of that weirdo crap in his movies. He gives the audience what they want, and they love him for it! He loves his fans too, as he is constantly thanking them while jumping out of a plane and stuff like that.
He is one of many celebrities that I will not watch a movie if they are in it. His stuff doesn't interest me anyway.

But you know exactly what they are right? Double crossing by someone you think you are double crossing. Nothing appears to be what it actually is. Great fight scenes, and incredible stunts. It is what it is, and people line up to watch Tom do his thing.

As a Mission: Impossible fan, I can tell you that the movies are lousy. They don't understand what Mission: Impossible even is. Plus they have Tom Cruise.

As a Mission: Impossible fan, I can tell you that the movies are lousy. They don't understand what Mission: Impossible even is. Plus they have Tom Cruise.
"Lousy" is about to make Indy 5s entire theatrical run thus far, in it's opening weekend. I am sure studio executives want Tom to continue to make "lousy" movies like Top Gun and Mission Impossible.

"Lousy" is about to make Indy 5s entire theatrical run thus far, in it's opening weekend. I am sure studio executives want Tom to continue to make "lousy" movies like Top Gun and Mission Impossible.

Look, they're lousy in my opinion. Box office isn't everything. For that matter, The Last Jedi made $1.3 Billion, yet you think it's pretty lousy, yeah?

Look, they're lousy in my opinion. Box office isn't everything. For that matter, The Last Jedi made $1.3 Billion, yet you think it's pretty lousy, yeah?
Yep, and my group of 10s money is in that box office from Rian Johnson's steaming pile of poo. But what you didn't see as any repeat viewings, which is why it made about half of what TFA made. Box office is not everything, but it is very very important to the heavies that make the decisions.

Give any main studio head the option of a $2 billion dollar box office or an Oscar for the movie, and see what they choose?

People have different tastes. You act like that's a bad thing. :confused3
Never once said it was a bad thing. Just understand that the regulars on here have some very strong opinions that don't often align well with the average movie goer very well at all. People on here think The High Republic is high art and should be loved and appreciated by all, and can't fathom that anyone could possibly not think that. In reality The High Republic has pretty lousy overall sales reach compared to Star Wars novelizations that came before them. This is not me hating on them, this is the objective information based on sales data.

Most on here also really liked Indy 5, which is on pace to lose like $400 million dollars for Disney. Once again suggesting that what is liked and praised here does not align with the viewing public. Most on here live in a perfectly tailored echo chamber of people that only think like they do.

Last edited:
Dude, man, your hyperbole is astounding! Why is everythign so extreme. Because someone says that they like something, you immediately assume that they LOVE IT AND THINK IT'S THE BEST THING EVER AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE IT IS AN IDIOT AND THAT IT WILL BE THE MOST SUCCESSFUL THING EVER BECAUSE I LIKE IT THEREFORE IT MUST BE GREAT TO EVERYONE ALL THE TIME!

You read a lot of stuff that just isn't there, man.

Dude, man, your hyperbole is astounding! Why is everythign so extreme. Because someone says that they like something, you immediately assume that they LOVE IT AND THINK IT'S THE BEST THING EVER AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE IT IS AN IDIOT AND THAT IT WILL BE THE MOST SUCCESSFUL THING EVER BECAUSE I LIKE IT THEREFORE IT MUST BE GREAT TO EVERYONE ALL THE TIME!

You read a lot of stuff that just isn't there, man.
Now that you are done ranting.

Go back to the Lucas Thread and read where we were discussing the high republic and tell me the volume of posters did not think I was crazy for not liking The High Republic? Even you I am pretty sure defended the character Geode if I remember correctly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter