Toll Roads

ivegotayen

Earning My Ears
How does everyone manage toll roads when driving in FL? My state (TX) doesn't have any reciprocal transponders w/ FL, so it looks like if I use a toll road, I'd likely need to pay through the license plate option. Is that correct? How much extra is this? In TX, there's a hefty premium to pay by license plate, and the toll companies do a lot of shenanigans to rack up the fees by mailing out the bills at the last minute before they're due. We'll use cash lanes where we can, but it looks like most roads don't have that option.

Should I be selecting routes that avoid tolls? Or is it manageable to deal with them? What about when towing a TT? any differences there (besides, of course, price)?

Appreciate any insight.

Florida has their own SunPass transponder that works on the Turnpike and most other toll roads in Florida. Their website has a toll calculator that shows cost difference in using the SunPass versus cash/toll-by-plate.

1660295875409.png

https://floridasturnpike.com/TollCalc/index.htm#

This is my cost towing a pop-up. Since we go to Florida annually almost I have a SunPass transponder even though I live in Alabama. So it looks like you can save about 25% with a transponder.

Guess it just depends on how much you'll be travelling on FL toll roads. If you're just going to WDW and back out, toll-by-plate is probably okay. Much further, though, and a transponder is worth the hassle. It would be difficult to drive past Orlando and avoid toll roads.

Bama Ed

I bought a Sunpass several years prior to moving to Florida permanently and in my opinion it paid for itself in avoiding the aggravation factor as well as making travel hassle free, which I guess when you think about it is the same thing.
I used to keep a MD EZpass just for traveling up north, but had to pay a yearly fee. Sunpass came out with the Sunpass PRO which works all along the eastern corridor so I upgraded to that and got rid of the EZpass.

You have to check on the prices but the Sun Pass could be worth it for just one trip. If you ever intend to travel farther on the East Coast & Mid West get an EZ pass from a state that doesn't charge a fee. In MA you only have to keep a balance; there's no annual or purchase fee. Other state have other deals.

There are several auto pay toll systems Florida recognizes. I use E-Pass. There is a phone app (like all the others) where you can load $$ and check your tolls. The advantage to E-Pass vs SunPass or EZ-Pass is the sticker for your vehicle is free. SunPass is $4.99 for a sticker or $14.95 for the mobile one that can be moved between cars.

j

All great info. Thank you!

One hitch (RV pun) is that we're driving my parents' TV and TT, and they live out of the country. Getting a toll bill in the mail to their US mailbox 3 hours from our home could be problematic. I better start looking into transponders! One more thing for my prep list! 🥴

We tow our TT from California to WDW about every 2-3 years and we use the mini-SunPass (you stick it on your windshield, it's really small). They're about $5.00 and you can order in advance or pick one up at a welcome center, service plaza, or other locations.

They're easy to install and remove and to activate/deactivate online. We've kept ours on the windshield and just put money on it before a trip and request a refund of the account balance when we deactivate it after we get home.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

We tow a vehicle with our RV. When not being towed that vehicle is my daily driver. The Sunpass PRO has suction cups, like our original Sunpass. I use it in my daily when we aren't on a trip. I swap it to the RV when I'm towing. So far Florida tolls has done a pretty good job counting axles. I've never been charged twice, and never been charged on my towed vehicle as a separate toll. (Yet).
20220103_124942.jpg

Florida has their own SunPass transponder that works on the Turnpike and most other toll roads in Florida. Their website has a toll calculator that shows cost difference in using the SunPass versus cash/toll-by-plate.

View attachment 692951

https://floridasturnpike.com/TollCalc/index.htm#

This is my cost towing a pop-up. Since we go to Florida annually almost I have a SunPass transponder even though I live in Alabama. So it looks like you can save about 25% with a transponder.

Guess it just depends on how much you'll be travelling on FL toll roads. If you're just going to WDW and back out, toll-by-plate is probably okay. Much further, though, and a transponder is worth the hassle. It would be difficult to drive past Orlando and avoid toll roads.

Bama Ed
We are from Canada and used bill by plate in Florida and were able to just pay online when we got the bill. Compared to our local toll-road system, these costs are dirt cheap. Loved that hubby didn't have to listen to me at a toll booth yelling "move over to your side closer, you're going to scrape us on this concrete divider" lol.

We bought a mini Sun pass from a vending machine at a Florida Welcome Center and set it up online on the phone in the car when we got back into the car....

We bought a mini Sun pass from a vending machine at a Florida Welcome Center and set it up online on the phone in the car when we got back into the car....
Oh perfect! We are planning a stop in Pensacola, and it looks like there's a welcome center there. They even mention they serve "citrus juice" to visitors. 😎

I think Pensacola is before we'd hit any toll roads, so that should work out great.I'll try to report back on our experience.

Thanks again to everyone for the good info.

I think Pensacola is before we'd hit any toll roads, so that should work out great.
Coming from that direction (I-10 to I-75), the only toll road you will hit is the Turnpike at Wildwood, off I-75. The tolls are pretty reasonable, even with Toll-by-Plate. Paying the $5 for the Sunpass or EZ-Pass will still save you a little, but if that is the only time you will need the pass, I'd go with the free E-Pass (https://epass.cfxway.com/EpassWeb/) I mentioned above. The windshield sticker is free and it lets you sail through the regular lanes without stopping the same as the others. $5 is 5 bucks!

1660571870391.png

j

I ended up ordering the UNI pass on Amazon. It'll be delivered in a couple of days, and it includes IL toll roads. My husband's office is in IL, so that'll be handy for him when he has to go on site. The UNI pass can be used in different vehicles.

Glad that's squared away! Thanks again, y'all!

We live in Central Texas. We have a Tx toll & also the Sunpass for our trips to "The Fort". They just added whatever amount my hubby said to use. Very easy to use & no worries about sending a check in when the bill came. No added cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter