Tokyo Disney on site vs. off site?

Oh no! I hope you can make it this time... I've heard so many good things! We got them through JTB. The tickets were $10pp and the handling fee was $14.

I went once in 2002 I think? I can't remember. I really want my daughter to go though. She loved Spirited Away. They were closed as they were putting a special Cat Bus exhibit in which of course is over by the time we go back to Japan. lol I think you will be there for it.

I absolutely hear you! I think my husband and I have gotten travel fatigued. We want to keep going places but pinching pennies has gotten us into some uncomfortable situations on our last few trips. Something snapped and now its just, we can afford it, lets make it easy on ourselves. After a couple of these kinds of trips I bet we will be back to pinching pennies though since it does feel a bit wasteful... but honestly an hour here and an hour there, taking 25 hours and three stop overs to get to Europe to use miles (and no A/C in the tropics - that was our worst offense and cost us in the end) broke us. One of the promises my husband made to me was that we would be OK spending money in Japan this time. My first two trips everything was a struggle. I went as a broke college student with my brother the first time and we skipped a lot of things to save money, and when I went back with my boyfriend after graduation we had arguments over costs too. After two weeks of fried food, sushi go round and noodles I made myself sick. He wouldn't go to Disney, wouldn't pay for an english touring device at museums without a translator (should've just got my own), would only stay in cheap hotels when we went to Hiroshima and Kyoto (Tokyo we were with a friend so it was just a couple nights even) and didn't want to shop at all. He would deign to eat very little due to being a very picky eater so stopping 2-3 places at every meal trying to find something for him to eat each day was awful. Splurging on nicer food now and again or even cooking a few times in our friend's apartment would have spared me some stomach issues...

Certain things I will be cheap about, the extra 30 minutes for a Hikari for me are not so bad, since I will be saving so much money because we are going: Tokyo to Hiroshima, Hiroshima to Osaka, we are probably going to Nagoya for dinner one night, and once we are back in Tokyo we are going up to Koriyama to take the slow train to Licca's Castle.. I will time many of my trains ahead of time thanks to Hyperdia, so it's not like I will be bored at a station, though I like eating in Tokyo Station and wandering Kyoto Station. lol If we go to Hakone, I'll take a Romance Car from Shinjuku on the Odakyu line and just pay out of pocket. It goes directly to Hakone Yumoto as it is, so is easier than JR, unless JR is free. (The same goes for Nikko, which is a bit easier to get to from private lines.) When I was young, I was cheap about hotels. Now not so much, though outside Tokyo Disney and Tokyo Station Hotel I'm trying to keep to $200 a night and not just staying at the Conrad or the Tokyo Station Hotel for my other 5 nights lol Last time I got a free upgrade to a suite at the Tokyo Station Hotel, it spoiled us. My daughter and I are both vegetarians and my daughter is a picky 6 year old. We eat a lot more pizza than I would like. But we're not cheap about it, if that makes sense? It's more a matter of just trying to find places we will eat lol I research ahead of time and make sure I know where we want to go, so no looking at several places. I always get Mexican at the Mexican place in Shinsaibashi. It's just this super popular place with ex-pats and I think I've been there 5 or 6x times now lol I do have a list of vegan and vegetarian friendly places, it can just be harder when I have to take a 6 year old into account. We do snack, because I love Japanese ice cream and sweets in general because they're a little less sweet.

Other than the awful "ryokan" in Shin-Nakano, nothing has terrible.. oh and the cheap "ryokan" in Kyoto my first trip, where I learned why not to take bags on the bus. I use to do the APA chain a lot pre-daughter. It's not luxury but is clean modern and often convenient. It just would be a little squishy for 2. I've also tried the Super, Dormy, Trusty, Associa and Prince chains. I once had an enormous room in the Sunshine 60 Prince.

I am SO going to play with this site when I get home tonight - thank you!!

No problem, it is one of my favorite sites for Japan. I do still visit Japan-Guide, they can be useful for info for getting to places and have more destinations in Japan than most websites.

Really our travel parts will be in the middle too, so if not for the Nozomi we'd get the pass... I don't think you can top up for that one though. I was expecting it to be difficult, but I was stalking the site every day waiting for the dates to release - Disney style stalking. They never showed... but as you say its THE most popular time I am sure, and we are going to save a bundle just doing it as a day trip so I am only a little disappointed. :) You have no idea how relieved I am to see the sakura cooperating this trip..! Last trip we aimed for cherry blossoms and I went home right as they were opening in Tokyo. I have some lovely early shots in Kyoto but they aren't in full bloom... to add insult to injury my boyfriend at the time who had made the trip miserable got to stay an extra week and enjoyed the full festivities. I went home since I was working full time and used up my vacation... he has no affinity with Japan and didn't enjoy it saying the parks were full and it was awkward for him which is what you should EXPECT... have you been in June before..? I kind of wanted to enjoy Japan in the summer sometime but I am not sure if the humidity trumps Florida's/Hawaii's during that time. I may just plan the next trip in the fall which I have never been during.... I love chestnuts, sweet potatoes and all the seasonal foods as well as want to see the leaves too.

I saw the start of Sakura in Himeji in '07 and probably elsewhere but I lost my hard drive that year and have very few pictures. I know I traveled to Fukuoka in late March '09 and got full on, and then got the start in Takematsu, Kyoto, and Tokyo. Tokyo was far enough along that people were camping out. In late April '09 I hit full on in Kakunodate and Hirosaki. I also got caught in a blizzard near Towadako that trip. I've seen gorgeous ume in Kairakuen and some great momo in Shinjuku Gyoen Park, it's worth admission. I love taking flower pictures. I got some great hydrangea/ajisai last June.

Technically, I have been to Japan every single month of the year now, though only a day or two in July. August is really hot and humid and the Japanese don't use a lot of strong a/c. June can be hot, but it's not dreadful, but it can be rainy. We had rain and were quite cold while in Hakone. I don't think I've ever been in Japan when it was as hot as WDW the first full week of September in 2016. (Though the parks were dead which makes up for it.) I've only been to Hawaii in December and it was perfect. I want to go back to Hawaii very much. I love late October and early November in Japan. I love Japanese sweet potatoes. I could eat them for every meal. We went June 2016 last year, I had to wait for my daughter to finish school and we're doing almost the same dates this year. Just adding on a few days since the trip went well. We're also switching a few things up since we're doing Disney and not Universal. I did enjoy Osaka Universal, it's just everything at Universal is a just a touch more scary. My daughter got a lot of attention, which was great because she thrives on it. We're thinking of renting yuakata to walk around Kyoto in.

I love Japan. Japan is my happy place. I am not sure I would want to live there, but I love visiting. I also collect many Japanese things and love tea.

Definitely going to put this in our notes to remind me, thank you! We're definitely going to go with Suica - am I correct that it works in Osaka as well or would we need a different pass for there and Kyoto..? Namba seems to be nice and lively with lots of places to eat - very important for my husband! :) I think we will eat more than our fair share of okonomiyaki...

Yes, Suica now works in Kansai and it is SO wonderful. I was so sick of buying a separate subway card for Osaka and another one for Kyoto or the Keihan line. Suica now seems to work everywhere and in many shops. If you want a day pass for the buses in Kyoto you will need to get that separate. Though if you want to visit Fushimi Inari, that is best accessed by train.

Do you know about temple/shrine stamps/books?

United miles somehow add up so quickly, don't they? We keep ending up on them because they have great options and times but I don't really have brand loyalty beyond Alaska Air for the same reason - lots of nonstop options! I haven't flown out of Newark yet, so I'm not sure what that would be like..!

Not for us anymore... Newark is not convenient for us at all and there is always traffic on the NJ Turnpike. I don't live all that close to NYC so I can't use public transport to avoid traffic. I prefer JFK, though for WDW or if I don't mind stopovers I do Westchester County or Hartford. Right now we mostly have Jetblue miles and some Southwest.

I feel so, so lucky.. weather is such a fickle thing and I was honestly worried it would end up being early! Now fingers crossed the weather cooperates as much as the trees!

Fingers definitely crossed!

Same here..! Especially with drinks, no-one thinks a thing of it. We have a large food cart culture here as well and ice cream just begs to be eaten on the go... I'm sure your friends really appreciate you going out of your way to say hi!

I have 6 friends in Tokyo, 1 in Nagoya and 2 in Osaka. I can't always make it work with everyone, but I do my best. Some are foreigners but some are Japanese.

Oh, I hope not badly hurt..! I have an irrational worry that either my husband and I will get hurt and need to go to the hospital. My Japanese is very rudimentary and so it would probably be a trainwreck since I don't know any medical terms... trying to get cough syrup when I developed whooping cough in Mexico in 2008 was awful. We finally found medicine but it was so nasty I couldn't take it. I felt like i was 5 but it wouldn't stay down it tasted so horrid... Id have gone back and bought something nicer if I could have conveyed what was wrong but I speak zero Spanish. I saw the real one before Epcot so I am the opposite... I love seeing it there because it reminds me of Japan! :) I had to look up Horyuji I admit... and now I can't remember if we went there or not! Eek! We did go to Nara and I remember feeding the deer but I don't remember the temple so maybe not... My main priority for Kyoto would be to take my husband to Kiyomizu-dera since i have never been, followed Fushimi Inari Taisha and/or Daikakuji depending on time and weather. Everyone says one day only go to Nara though... oh well.

I sprained my finger. I went to a walk in Urgent Care type clinic the next day in Osaka and they did an X-Ray, gave me a splint, and some pain patches (probably salonpas.) I had no insurance, but fortunately it was only 5000 yen. Mostly I communicated via sign language and saying "itai!" It all worked out rather well and I learned that don't try to climb down stone steps in Crocs.

I've never been to Horyuji before, just the main temples in Nara itself. Visiting Epcot makes me think of Japan, even though I went to Epcot first, but if I can use things in Epcot to get my daughter to more temples and shrines I am all for it. I've been to Kiyomizudera, Fushimi Inari and I think Daikakuji. I love Fushimi Inari. Since its grounds are so large, it doesn't tend to feel as crowded. I also love Uji. We did Arashiyama/Tenryuji and the monkey park, Kinkakuji/Kitano TenmanGu/ and some smaller temples last trip. I am also a huge fan of Kurama/Kibune, Katsura Imperial Villa (which I can not do again until my daughter is older), and Enryakuji was pretty awesome. If you like to walk, it's not so bad walking Kyoto station to Sanjusanjendo and then onto Kiyomizudera. I would recommend going as early as possible, Kiyomizudera can get very crowded. You can then easily walk to the Keihan line to take it to Fushimi Inari and if you want to go to Uji, continue south post Fushimi Inari. We are probably going to do Yasaka jinja, Chion-in and maybe Kiyomizu-dera. It depends on how my daughter is doing. Maruyama park will be crowded but lovely for you. I know she wants to go back to Arashiyama to shop, but I am not sure we will. We will go to Nara from Osaka since maybe one of my friends will come along as well. I like Nara and Kyoto, both have pluses.

I really want to but I am so body shy I am not sure I will be able to. We have no tattoos or anything to worry about and I KNOW no one cares how toned I am but I feel if Im going to be in a state of embarrassed panic the whole time whats the point? I am so angry at myself for being an idiot but.. Im an idiot I guess.

Look into renting a family bath then? It costs additional but it's private for just you and your spouse. It sort of lets you have an onsen experience but is great for someone who doesn't want others to see them. I use to be really body shy, but then I went to a few onsen with a foreigner friend, and she helped me find my courage. Now, I love it and try to do it every trip to Japan. My daughter enjoys it too, because it's different. She loved the onsen on top of the hotel in Osaka because of the views. I loved the one in the Associa in Takayama and the one in the middle of nowhere Takayama prefecture and Zao. The Japanese do get a kick out of seeing foreigners. Someday I would love to go to Kusatsu. The weirdest one I ever went to was in Osorezan. It was full of 60+ Japanese women who were super chatty and wanted their pictures taken! You can also try the mostly bathing suit onsen, Yunessun in Hakone if you are there. It's not as awesome as it use to be, but assuming you didn't go before, you won't be disappointed. They have "themed" baths like coffee, green tea, sake, and wine.

It won't... ok it will but AT&T would take my entire paycheck if I try regardless. Even with roaming paid for they are not very generous. It will be much cheaper to just get a sim when I arrive for a local carrier so that is my plan. Both airbnb's have free devices for us to use but that won't help us when we are in the hotel in Osaka or at TDLR so I am just going to get one for the length of our stay. Do you find 3G to be speedy enough? Im surprised there aren't more LTE options since thats what I have here but maybe 3G over there is better? Which app did you use...? We have been playing with google's translate but it has NOT done well with product packaging or signs we've pulled up an image of and tried out so thats a no go.

I have Project Fi from Google and I was honestly shocked at how inexpensive my data, texting and phone calls were. (~$25 and this included calling my husband to chat for 30+ minutes.) I live out in the boonies so I frequently don't have LTE, though my phone is capable. I don't remember ever feeling a lag in Japan except underground on the subway when I sometimes had no service. I downloaded the FB messenger app on the train to Kamakura called the US 3 or 4 times and used Google Maps a few times to help me get where I wanted to be. But I also don't stream video on my phone especially not on vacation, so for most of my purposes, whatever speed I was getting in Japan worked fine. My biggest problem is sometimes International Texting worked (usually to people in the US) but only sometimes to people in Japan, and my cell phone never told me if a message didn't go through. (Which is why I downloaded FB Messenger on the train. >>; I was trying to get in contact with a friend and could not.)

We can be fussy eaters at times, any recommendations for the more western appetite?

We can be fussy eaters at times, any recommendations for the more western appetite?
Where in Japan?

Most places in Japan will have some sort of bakery, even a lot of pretty inaka places, and generally you will not be going somewhere inaka unless you have friends there or are specifically trying to see some sights off the beaten path. I specifically brought vegetarian cup noodles to Sakata and Zao when I overnighted there because I knew both would be a challenge for me. The main reason to visit Sakata is if you are a fan of Okurubito/Departures or are planning to climb/hike the Dewa Sanzan in nearby Tsuruoka. Zao is an amazing onsen, but you go there specifically to either onsen or ski in the Winter. Neither location got a lot of foreigners when I was there. But even weirder places like Towada city, still tend to have Western style bakeries. Sometimes the pastries are bland and not so good, other times they are sublime. The Japanese don't eat pastries for breakfast, but if you prefer a more Western breakfast, places like Andersen or Dean and DeLuca are very much appreciated, as is Starbucks which is in many many cities. I've also gone to Mister Donut in Tanabe which was Starbucks free despite being a city of 80,000. Some ryokans have a "western" breakfast option and some of the more expensive buffets at hotels also have Western options, though usually you must be staying at said hotel. I went for inclusive breakfast at the Keihan Universal and Tokyo Station because I know they have things we will eat, as well as some pretty cracked out options. The Keihan had a chocolate fountain, cupcakes, and jelly beans. I don't think I have EVER seen those at a breakfast in the USA.

Places I've been where I had a harder time eating anything other than ice cream or snacks/cakes:
Hakodate
Osorezan
Shingo
Towada/Towadako
Hirosaki
Hiraizumi
Kakunodate
Sakata
Tsuroka
Matsushima
Zao
Yonezawa
Ononimachi/Licca Castle
Ueda
Takematsu
Okayama
The Kibi Plain
Fukui/Tojimbo
I honestly don't remember what I ate in Shirakawa-go, I did my tour as a package and I was suffering from severe morning sickness
Miyajima
Ise
Uji

Probably a few other places, many of these places are not super popular with Western tourists. Some: Ueda, Matsushima, Ononimachi, Uji, Miyajima, tend to be places which are just stop overs between breakfast and dinner, so getting a snack for lunch is not a big deal for us. It has been one of the reasons we've not yet made it to Amanohashidate.

Oh! And Koya-san surprisingly did not have much vegetarian. I remember the temple we were staying in served some sort of seafood that the smell of made me ill. I ate green tea cake that day for my meal.

Tokyo Disney: I've only eaten in Ristorante di Canaletto, I got pizza or pasta. It was good.

Tokyo: Easiest place to find western food. From chains like Shakeys and Dennys to Starbucks and McDonald's to even Dean and DeLuca's, it's all there. I admit I love Starbucks in Japan as well as Mister Donut. I recently saw a recommendation for the Egg and I, a Hawaiian chain that has a lot of outlets in Japan and serves western breakfasts all day. I might try it in Nagoya. To the Herbs is a Japanese chain with very good pizza and pasta. In the not so scary vegan food, my daughter and I loved T's TanTan Ramen in Tokyo Station. I got vegan ramen and my daughter loved the rice and vegan gyoza. I love Nataraj, an all vegetarian Indian restaurant right in Ginza on Chuo dori, making it easy to find. My daughter liked the rice. In general, Indian in Japan is less spicy than Indian where I've lived in the USA. I've gotten really good Chinese with lots of fake meats like I would find in NYC in Tokyo as well. I've been to Prima Baci for expensive Italian in Kichijoji. Capricosa is an Italian chain with large portion sizes for Japan. I've mostly been to the ones in Kyoto, Osaka and Aomori. I've gotten Italian a few times in Shinjuku, usually over near where the SquareEnix offices are, since my friend use to work there. I think there was a decent pizza place in the area. Nearly all pizza in Japan is thin crust.

Kamakura: We were going to eat at another pizza place but my daughter ended up getting plain noodles at a Japanese place. I just had cake at a cake shop. I've also gotten ice cream. I like the purple sweet potato, though I think one of the places over near the Daibatsu has blueberry or mikan flavored. I don't like soft serve in the USA outside of DoleWhip, but Japan has amazing soft serve and it's fun trying the myriad of different flavors since most places only have vanilla/green tea. I've not tried the squid ink being vegetarian. The worst flavor I tried was Momiji which is literally maple leaf flavored ice cream with actual maple leaves in it. I've also tried sakura ice cream with sakura in it.

Hakone: I used Yelp and found a really good pizza place out near MotoHakone/Lake Ashi. It was enough food it covered lunch and dinner that day. >>; We also bought some chocolates from our hotel which my daughter loved. I think you can get some basic pasta dishes near Yunessun too since it attracts a lot of foreigners.

Nagoya: has/had a Dean and DeLuca's, an Egg and I, and I got Indian food last time. It was easy because it was above the station and we were just there to meet my friends who live in Nagoya.

Kyoto: I've gotten falafel, not sure the place is still there. My favorite vegan place went under, they had the most amazing soy milk ramen, ;;_;; GoIchi Pizza a short walk from Gojo subway station was very good pizza and super friendly English speaking owners. They gave my daughter a hedgehog toy. I've also gone to the Very Berry Cafe, which is another Japanese take on western food. There was an amazing French pastry shop next door to the Royal Park Hotel, where we stayed. They also did sit down Western style breakfasts. I think my daughter got oatmeal there! Last trip I ate more meals in Osaka because my friends are there. I am pretty sure we got Italian somewhere in Kyoto Station. Most Italian places have pizza.

Osaka: I tried an Italian place which was rather disappointing, I forgot the name, it was in Namba Parks. El Pancho is the Mexican place in Osaka and is super popular with Ex Pats. I think some nights they have live music. They have a menu in English and the food is not particularly spicy. I've heard the alcoholic drinks are great, I usually stick to the juice which is awesome. If you're missing Mexican style food, it is the place to go. It's in Shainsaibashi right near the subway station, a huge Uniqlo and a Daimaru. The Daimaru use to have a place with amazing crepes on the shopping street. I've never been to Sweet Paradise, but I always wanted to try it because All You Can Eat Dessert Buffet!

Nara: I usually just snack in, though I found a vegan place I want to try.

Hiroshima: I tried a bad Italian place there a few times, I want to try an Okonomiyaki place, but my daughter has no interest. We will probably just eat a big breakfast that day and eat snacks until dinner.

Wakayama: I got Indian somewhere but I sort of doubt you're going to Wakayama.

I hope this give you some insight. :)

I went once in 2002 I think? I can't remember. I really want my daughter to go though. She loved Spirited Away. They were closed as they were putting a special Cat Bus exhibit in which of course is over by the time we go back to Japan. lol I think you will be there for it.

I've heard you have to be under 12 to enjoy it but hopefully we can at least peek at it! :)

Certain things I will be cheap about, the extra 30 minutes for a Hikari for me are not so bad, since I will be saving so much money because we are going: Tokyo to Hiroshima, Hiroshima to Osaka, we are probably going to Nagoya for dinner one night, and once we are back in Tokyo we are going up to Koriyama to take the slow train to Licca's Castle.. I will time many of my trains ahead of time thanks to Hyperdia, so it's not like I will be bored at a station, though I like eating in Tokyo Station and wandering Kyoto Station. lol If we go to Hakone, I'll take a Romance Car from Shinjuku on the Odakyu line and just pay out of pocket. It goes directly to Hakone Yumoto as it is, so is easier than JR, unless JR is free. (The same goes for Nikko, which is a bit easier to get to from private lines.) When I was young, I was cheap about hotels. Now not so much, though outside Tokyo Disney and Tokyo Station Hotel I'm trying to keep to $200 a night and not just staying at the Conrad or the Tokyo Station Hotel for my other 5 nights lol Last time I got a free upgrade to a suite at the Tokyo Station Hotel, it spoiled us. My daughter and I are both vegetarians and my daughter is a picky 6 year old. We eat a lot more pizza than I would like. But we're not cheap about it, if that makes sense? It's more a matter of just trying to find places we will eat lol I research ahead of time and make sure I know where we want to go, so no looking at several places. I always get Mexican at the Mexican place in Shinsaibashi. It's just this super popular place with ex-pats and I think I've been there 5 or 6x times now lol I do have a list of vegan and vegetarian friendly places, it can just be harder when I have to take a 6 year old into account. We do snack, because I love Japanese ice cream and sweets in general because they're a little less sweet.

When i looked it up I think there IS a way to get to Hakone on the pass but it was a roundabout way with more stops. We'd do the romance car for sure - again assuming the weather is nice! That does make sense! If my husband and I were not happy to eat (almost) everything I'd spend more time researching. I do have some recommendations from my coworkers (we have an office in Tokyo) that I will try to get to when we are in the area. Im surprised there is a Mexican place..! I am so used to being told there is no Mexican or peanut butter in Japan! I will have to remember this if we feel like we need something "different" one day..!

Other than the awful "ryokan" in Shin-Nakano, nothing has terrible.. oh and the cheap "ryokan" in Kyoto my first trip, where I learned why not to take bags on the bus. I use to do the APA chain a lot pre-daughter. It's not luxury but is clean modern and often convenient. It just would be a little squishy for 2. I've also tried the Super, Dormy, Trusty, Associa and Prince chains. I once had an enormous room in the Sunshine 60 Prince.

I can't wait to see my husbands expression re: how tiny space can be... luckily he isn't claustrophobic or anything but he is used to having his American space and headroom!

No problem, it is one of my favorite sites for Japan. I do still visit Japan-Guide, they can be useful for info for getting to places and have more destinations in Japan than most websites.

I saw the start of Sakura in Himeji in '07 and probably elsewhere but I lost my hard drive that year and have very few pictures. I know I traveled to Fukuoka in late March '09 and got full on, and then got the start in Takematsu, Kyoto, and Tokyo. Tokyo was far enough along that people were camping out. In late April '09 I hit full on in Kakunodate and Hirosaki. I also got caught in a blizzard near Towadako that trip. I've seen gorgeous ume in Kairakuen and some great momo in Shinjuku Gyoen Park, it's worth admission. I love taking flower pictures. I got some great hydrangea/ajisai last June.

That all sounds so lovely..! When we were in Kyoto is snowed a tiny bit also and it was so nice! We almost never get snow in Portland, and when we do its always between Dec & Feb. It was my first time seeing spring snow!

Technically, I have been to Japan every single month of the year now, though only a day or two in July. August is really hot and humid and the Japanese don't use a lot of strong a/c. June can be hot, but it's not dreadful, but it can be rainy. We had rain and were quite cold while in Hakone. I don't think I've ever been in Japan when it was as hot as WDW the first full week of September in 2016. (Though the parks were dead which makes up for it.) I've only been to Hawaii in December and it was perfect. I want to go back to Hawaii very much. I love late October and early November in Japan. I love Japanese sweet potatoes. I could eat them for every meal. We went June 2016 last year, I had to wait for my daughter to finish school and we're doing almost the same dates this year. Just adding on a few days since the trip went well. We're also switching a few things up since we're doing Disney and not Universal. I did enjoy Osaka Universal, it's just everything at Universal is a just a touch more scary. My daughter got a lot of attention, which was great because she thrives on it. We're thinking of renting yuakata to walk around Kyoto in.

Hawaii is so funny.. we were told once that the weathermen have the easiest job in the world since its almost always low to mid 80s, party cloudy. Maybe a chance of rain... so we frequently joke when we wake up asking each other what the weather will be while we are there. That and 'its a 10 day island' when we are in Maui because seemed like everyone we talked to said that when we said we were there for 7 days on our first trip.. "oh, no no, its a 10 day island, you really need 10 days!" That pretty much seals it for me - we will go in autumn next time! I'm not that big on Universal either.. both times I have gone someone has to jump out and try to scare me. The first time made more sense since we were there close to Halloween (definitely left before the horror nights started) but the second time it was the middle of summer and I was just walking in a queue with no line... it came out of nowhere that one of the staff jumped out at me. Ugh, I HATE that. I bet she would definitely get attention in a yukata! They are so pretty..! Ive only worn a kimono one time and it was a quick little demo I volunteered for here in the states. The poor woman was so frazzled trying to find something that would fit this "giant" at 5'7! :rotfl:

I love Japan. Japan is my happy place. I am not sure I would want to live there, but I love visiting. I also collect many Japanese things and love tea.

I completely agree... I am a little worried I've waxed poetic in these 10 years about my trips and it won't be everything I've dreamed about since but... it will be. :) I don't think I would want to stay forever either but now that my little sick kitty has passed on (she never would have passed through quarantine with her blood parasite) my husband is under orders to volunteer for a temp assignment if it comes down the line.

Yes, Suica now works in Kansai and it is SO wonderful. I was so sick of buying a separate subway card for Osaka and another one for Kyoto or the Keihan line. Suica now seems to work everywhere and in many shops. If you want a day pass for the buses in Kyoto you will need to get that separate. Though if you want to visit Fushimi Inari, that is best accessed by train.

Do you know about temple/shrine stamps/books?

I do not! What are they..? I've only ever come back with shrine charms from them... I still have the one I got in Meiji-jingu for safe driving on my car's rearview mirror. So far it seems to be working. :D

Not for us anymore... Newark is not convenient for us at all and there is always traffic on the NJ Turnpike. I don't live all that close to NYC so I can't use public transport to avoid traffic. I prefer JFK, though for WDW or if I don't mind stopovers I do Westchester County or Hartford. Right now we mostly have Jetblue miles and some Southwest.

Fingers definitely crossed!

I have 6 friends in Tokyo, 1 in Nagoya and 2 in Osaka. I can't always make it work with everyone, but I do my best. Some are foreigners but some are Japanese.

Oh, I have heard so many stories about that awful turnpike...! Its been so interesting hearing about and watching more and more people move to Japan... I often wonder if my friends hadn't bailed and moved home when it was still hard to assimilate if it would be any easier by now. They both mentioned getting incredibly fatigued having so many people approach them asking if they were OK in english or assuming they didn't speak Japanese.

I sprained my finger. I went to a walk in Urgent Care type clinic the next day in Osaka and they did an X-Ray, gave me a splint, and some pain patches (probably salonpas.) I had no insurance, but fortunately it was only 5000 yen. Mostly I communicated via sign language and saying "itai!" It all worked out rather well and I learned that don't try to climb down stone steps in Crocs.

My word, X-rays alone would be so much more here..! Im glad it worked out!

I've never been to Horyuji before, just the main temples in Nara itself. Visiting Epcot makes me think of Japan, even though I went to Epcot first, but if I can use things in Epcot to get my daughter to more temples and shrines I am all for it. I've been to Kiyomizudera, Fushimi Inari and I think Daikakuji. I love Fushimi Inari. Since its grounds are so large, it doesn't tend to feel as crowded. I also love Uji. We did Arashiyama/Tenryuji and the monkey park, Kinkakuji/Kitano TenmanGu/ and some smaller temples last trip. I am also a huge fan of Kurama/Kibune, Katsura Imperial Villa (which I can not do again until my daughter is older), and Enryakuji was pretty awesome. If you like to walk, it's not so bad walking Kyoto station to Sanjusanjendo and then onto Kiyomizudera. I would recommend going as early as possible, Kiyomizudera can get very crowded. You can then easily walk to the Keihan line to take it to Fushimi Inari and if you want to go to Uji, continue south post Fushimi Inari. We are probably going to do Yasaka jinja, Chion-in and maybe Kiyomizu-dera. It depends on how my daughter is doing. Maruyama park will be crowded but lovely for you. I know she wants to go back to Arashiyama to shop, but I am not sure we will. We will go to Nara from Osaka since maybe one of my friends will come along as well. I like Nara and Kyoto, both have pluses.

I loved Fushimi Inari last time but we were not there nearly long enough... I still have a little tiny ceramic fox on a red pillow from the littlest and oldest lady I have ever seen in my life there. It lives on my shelf in my bedroom and reminds me of her - she took an eternity to wrap the trinket up just right. How funny you mention Uji..! I just bought some matcha from a vendor who visited my office two days ago and she said the tea came from a small family farm in Uji. It is delicious! We may end up there since it turns out Kiyomizudera is covered in scaffolding right now. I *know* we will spend more time in Kyoto next trip since there is just so much to do there - and I assume it will be as pretty in autumn as it is in spring! :)

Look into renting a family bath then? It costs additional but it's private for just you and your spouse. It sort of lets you have an onsen experience but is great for someone who doesn't want others to see them. I use to be really body shy, but then I went to a few onsen with a foreigner friend, and she helped me find my courage. Now, I love it and try to do it every trip to Japan. My daughter enjoys it too, because it's different. She loved the onsen on top of the hotel in Osaka because of the views. I loved the one in the Associa in Takayama and the one in the middle of nowhere Takayama prefecture and Zao. The Japanese do get a kick out of seeing foreigners. Someday I would love to go to Kusatsu. The weirdest one I ever went to was in Osorezan. It was full of 60+ Japanese women who were super chatty and wanted their pictures taken! You can also try the mostly bathing suit onsen, Yunessun in Hakone if you are there. It's not as awesome as it use to be, but assuming you didn't go before, you won't be disappointed. They have "themed" baths like coffee, green tea, sake, and wine.

Haha yes, I rather assumed I might get attention since Im very white and dark blonde with blue eyes. My husband has a bunch of freckles and is a bit of a ginger to boot. If I could fly under the radar more maybe I wouldn't be so self conscious... the bathing suit one might do the trick thank you! I know there is a bit of a 'theme park' one south of Tokyo I was looking at too. Maybe after some time at an izakaya I will find my courage and just go for a proper one though! :)

I have Project Fi from Google and I was honestly shocked at how inexpensive my data, texting and phone calls were. (~$25 and this included calling my husband to chat for 30+ minutes.) I live out in the boonies so I frequently don't have LTE, though my phone is capable. I don't remember ever feeling a lag in Japan except underground on the subway when I sometimes had no service. I downloaded the FB messenger app on the train to Kamakura called the US 3 or 4 times and used Google Maps a few times to help me get where I wanted to be. But I also don't stream video on my phone especially not on vacation, so for most of my purposes, whatever speed I was getting in Japan worked fine. My biggest problem is sometimes International Texting worked (usually to people in the US) but only sometimes to people in Japan, and my cell phone never told me if a message didn't go through. (Which is why I downloaded FB Messenger on the train. >>; I was trying to get in contact with a friend and could not.)

That is great to know! I don't stream video much either but I do have a few games on my phone that require a connection to play. Ideally I won't need them at all either and we'll just need it for maps! I warned my mother that I won't be putting things on Facebook until I get home and she wasn't too happy about that one. :laughing:

I've heard you have to be under 12 to enjoy it but hopefully we can at least peek at it! :)

Meh, that's too bad because I know a lot of adults who would love it. I wish it was still there when we go. I just introduced my daughter to Totoro today since she had a 1/2 day of school.

When i looked it up I think there IS a way to get to Hakone on the pass but it was a roundabout way with more stops. We'd do the romance car for sure - again assuming the weather is nice! That does make sense! If my husband and I were not happy to eat (almost) everything I'd spend more time researching. I do have some recommendations from my coworkers (we have an office in Tokyo) that I will try to get to when we are in the area. Im surprised there is a Mexican place..! I am so used to being told there is no Mexican or peanut butter in Japan! I will have to remember this if we feel like we need something "different" one day..!

Yes, and no. You can take JR to Odawara station, but from Odawara you have to change for the Odakyu line. The Odakyu is the only line that runs Odawara to Hakone-Yumoto. The fare is not terribly expensive, but it's not covered under the JR Pass. It could be covered under one of the other passes like JR East or Tokyo Wide though. At that point, it's just cheaper to do a round trip Romance car from Shinjuku and not do JR at all. There are also sometimes special packages that include transport within Hakone via Odakyu. I saw a special ticket that included round trip trains, buses to Yunessun and Yunessun admission for not much more than Yunessun admission. Though you would have to pay to upgrade to the Romance Car but unlike with JR you could.

Tokyo has/had a Mexican place in Roppongi too. I went in '05 or '06? The one in Osaka, El Pancho, has been there for quite some time though and is just such an ex-pat place. I've had a lot of foreign friends living in Kansai over the years.

I am pretty sure I have seen peanut butter as well in Japan. It's just hard to find and expensive. It mostly seemed to be in groceries catering to foreigners. Judging from requests, I would say Ranch salad dressing (like Hidden Valley) and fluoride toothpaste is hard to come by. I've brought both with me for a friend lol

I can't wait to see my husbands expression re: how tiny space can be... luckily he isn't claustrophobic or anything but he is used to having his American space and headroom!

I'm lucky my husband is extremely petite, so he is never bothered by that, but it is something I can easily see being an issue. I think it partially depends on where you stay.

That all sounds so lovely..! When we were in Kyoto is snowed a tiny bit also and it was so nice! We almost never get snow in Portland, and when we do its always between Dec & Feb. It was my first time seeing spring snow!

I saw a dusting of snow in Kyoto in December once. It was pretty enough. I live in CT and grew up in NY, so for me snow is not quite so special lol We still have some on the ground right now, though thankfully it's mostly melted.

Hawaii is so funny.. we were told once that the weathermen have the easiest job in the world since its almost always low to mid 80s, party cloudy. Maybe a chance of rain... so we frequently joke when we wake up asking each other what the weather will be while we are there. That and 'its a 10 day island' when we are in Maui because seemed like everyone we talked to said that when we said we were there for 7 days on our first trip.. "oh, no no, its a 10 day island, you really need 10 days!" That pretty much seals it for me - we will go in autumn next time! I'm not that big on Universal either.. both times I have gone someone has to jump out and try to scare me. The first time made more sense since we were there close to Halloween (definitely left before the horror nights started) but the second time it was the middle of summer and I was just walking in a queue with no line... it came out of nowhere that one of the staff jumped out at me. Ugh, I HATE that. I bet she would definitely get attention in a yukata! They are so pretty..! Ive only worn a kimono one time and it was a quick little demo I volunteered for here in the states. The poor woman was so frazzled trying to find something that would fit this "giant" at 5'7! :rotfl:

I am overweight and very hourglass, so kimono don't really work well on me, but I think dressing in Yukata will still be fun. It's way too warm in June to wear a kimono. My daughter is adorably petite and has dirty blond hair and very fair skin. She stands out in Japan.

We went to Maui for 5 days, and honestly, I thought that was actually quite nice lol We got to do most of the things we wanted. We skipped the Hana Highway because driving for hours in a car with a 5 year old did not sound romantic, it sounded like a nightmare. lol

I completely agree... I am a little worried I've waxed poetic in these 10 years about my trips and it won't be everything I've dreamed about since but... it will be. :) I don't think I would want to stay forever either but now that my little sick kitty has passed on (she never would have passed through quarantine with her blood parasite) my husband is under orders to volunteer for a temp assignment if it comes down the line.

I went back after 6 years last June and... Japan was just as much fun as I remembered though it had a lot more foreign visitors. I think that was the biggest difference I noticed. That and traveler's checks are no longer used at all, you use to get a better exchange rate vs. US cash. I would do a temp assignment, particularly if the company was paying for a nice place in Tokyo for me to live and gave me membership in the American Club, but I wouldn't want to live there without support from a foreign company. I had a friend who was in finance and lived there a few years and they had quite a nice situation. Most of my foreign friends there teach English or work for video game companies. Some of the English teachers stay there long term, like my friend in Nagoya who has truly made a life for herself, and some are in the JET program so leave after a few years.

I do not! What are they..? I've only ever come back with shrine charms from them... I still have the one I got in Meiji-jingu for safe driving on my car's rearview mirror. So far it seems to be working. :D

Goshuin are books you can buy at most temples and shrines for about 1200 yen. The covers really vary from temple/shrine to temple/shrine. Some are plain and some are truly gorgeous. You can pay 300 yen at every subsequent temple/shrine you visit to get a temple stamp. It's a special stamp with calligraphy of the building's name and the date. You can see some covers here. I have the Kushida jinja one with the float on the cover from Fukuoka. I had a friend in Fukuoka send me the same one for my daughter. My favorite stamp I ever got was Haguro-san in the Dewa Sanzan The stamp takes up two pages and is round. Haguro san and its two sister shrines are very hard to get to, and Yudono-san and Gassan won't even be open when you visit because of snow.

Oh, I have heard so many stories about that awful turnpike...! Its been so interesting hearing about and watching more and more people move to Japan... I often wonder if my friends hadn't bailed and moved home when it was still hard to assimilate if it would be any easier by now. They both mentioned getting incredibly fatigued having so many people approach them asking if they were OK in english or assuming they didn't speak Japanese.

I don't know, I've only rarely had people come up to me asking if I needed help in those cases I usually did lol It can be hard though, you have to accept you will always stand out and be a foreigner.

I loved Fushimi Inari last time but we were not there nearly long enough... I still have a little tiny ceramic fox on a red pillow from the littlest and oldest lady I have ever seen in my life there. It lives on my shelf in my bedroom and reminds me of her - she took an eternity to wrap the trinket up just right. How funny you mention Uji..! I just bought some matcha from a vendor who visited my office two days ago and she said the tea came from a small family farm in Uji. It is delicious! We may end up there since it turns out Kiyomizudera is covered in scaffolding right now. I *know* we will spend more time in Kyoto next trip since there is just so much to do there - and I assume it will be as pretty in autumn as it is in spring! :)

Yeah I was just reading about that. I think it will mostly be down when I go. I skipped Nikko last time because the main gates was covered in scaffolding.

Uji tea is fabulous and lots of people just sell it at shops along the main streets there. It's also a small but amazing temple. It's the temple on the back of the 10 yen coins. There is also a reproduction of it on Oahu which shows up in TV shows set on Hawaii.

Haha yes, I rather assumed I might get attention since Im very white and dark blonde with blue eyes. My husband has a bunch of freckles and is a bit of a ginger to boot. If I could fly under the radar more maybe I wouldn't be so self conscious... the bathing suit one might do the trick thank you! I know there is a bit of a 'theme park' one south of Tokyo I was looking at too. Maybe after some time at an izakaya I will find my courage and just go for a proper one though! :)

Being white is nothing... my friend who taught me to enjoy onsen was African-American. When we visited Kakunodate and Hirosaki together people wanted pictures with her even more than with the cherry blossoms. I felt a bit bad for her, but she was very easy going and had lived in Japan for a long time. (She was a JET and then worked for Square.)

The only one I can think of near Tokyo is on Odaiba and I am pretty sure it is naked one. Yunessun is super popular because it is bathing suit and has weird themed baths. I've also done SpaWorld in Osaka but that is also mostly a naked one. I am debating going with my daughter.

That is great to know! I don't stream video much either but I do have a few games on my phone that require a connection to play. Ideally I won't need them at all either and we'll just need it for maps! I warned my mother that I won't be putting things on Facebook until I get home and she wasn't too happy about that one. :laughing:

At least you promised to share when you got home. I think I forgot to post pictures from my trip last June entirely lol

EDIT: I forgot, the cast members at Universal Osaka were all great, most were extremely kind and particularly friendly to us because petite foreign kids aren't as common there. I meant the actual rides in Universal tend to be more scary than in Disney. My daughter scares easily. She doesn't like Haunted Mansion, she might finally be able to ride Under the Sea again because the giant Ursula scares her. Other than the kiddie rides most of the Universal ones scared her. We road, Flight of the Hippogriff (too wild for her vs. Big Thunder Mountain.) Jaws (too scary even though that was the reason we were there), and she then did mostly kiddie rides. As a plus, Universal has actually physical waiting rooms right before you board a ride, so she sat in one of those while I went on Forbidden Journey and another for Jurassic Park. So overall I like Universal Osaka, but until she is braver and taller, it's just not worth it since I don't want to pay for her to sit in waiting areas while I go on rides. It's too selfish.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter