Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Hightower Halloween Costume!

DSC02786.jpg

DSC02787.jpg

DSC02788.jpg

DSC02789.jpg

Shield your reproductive organs!
DSC02790.jpg

DSC02791.jpg

DSC02792.jpg

Vulcania serves Chinese food. We ate there later and gave it our "pretty dang good!" seal of approval.

DSC02793.jpg

DSC02794.jpg

Looks like lunch wound up in lockdown! Must've started a food fight…
DSC02801.jpg

The "Wanted" poster
DSC02800.jpg

DSC02795.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

DSC02798.jpg

DSC02802.jpg

DSC02803.jpg

[Hey, you! I can tell you're scrolling!]

DSC02804.jpg

DSC02805.jpg

DSC02806.jpg

One of the infamous Gyoza Sausage Bun carts…
DSC02807.jpg

And its ubiquitous ginormous line!
DSC02808.jpg

DSC02809.jpg

DSC02810.jpg

I think this is the 20KL FASTPASS distribution area…?
DSC02814.jpg

DSC02812.jpg

DSC02813.jpg

On the lower level of Mysterious Island is a quick-service place called Nautilus Galley.

DSC02815.jpg

DSC02818.jpg

DSC02817.jpg

DSC02816.jpg

DSC02819.jpg

DSC02820.jpg

I wish you could go inside Nemo's submarine—then there'd be no reason to bother going to Disneyland Paris at all!
DSC02822.jpg

DSC02825.jpg

DSC02824.jpg

Patrick was taking a picture of the other side of his beloved drilling machine when a CM asked us if we'd like to have our picture taken with it together.

DSC02829.jpg

After our second ride on JTTCOE, we went over to American Waterfront to use out Tower of Terror FASTPASSes.

DSC02849.jpg

Outside the restroom—genius!

DSC02848.jpg

DSC02850.jpg

DSC02851.jpg

DSC02852.jpg

Looking back toward Broadway Music Theater, home of the popular show Big Band Beat.

DSC02853.jpg

I smell a Facebook profile pic!
DSC02855.jpg

As you may know, the storyline for Tokyo's Tower of Terror is completely different than those of the US TOTs. And if you don't want to know, get that scrolling finger ready…. NOW! Tokyo's ride is a huge hotel owned by a megalomaniacal explorer named Harrison Hightower III (who bears more than a passing resemblance to Imagineer Joe Rhode). The lobby features numerous paintings depicting Hightower plundering various archeological and historical treasures around the globe, usually with a pack of angry indigenous persons hot on his heels.

DSC02856.jpg

DSC02857.jpg

Eventually, his nefarious deeds caught up with him when he swiped one artifact too many—a cursed idol called Shiriki Utundu. On New Year's Eve 1899 he was to show off the idol to the public and the press at Hotel Hightower, but when he entered the penthouse elevator, something went horribly wrong. The elevator crashed to the lobby with only the idol still inside, and the hotel was immediately closed to the public. Now, more than 100 years later, it has been reopened for tours given by the New York Historical Society.

DSC02858.jpg

DSC02859.jpg

DSC02860.jpg

DSC02862.jpg

Guests are ushered into a library/drawing room for a presentation that gives more details of the fateful night when Hightower disappeared. It's all in Japanese, but the animated stained glass window and other effects make it pretty clear what happened.

DSC02863.jpg

I dunno whether to spoil the surprise or not, so let me just say that there is an effect in this room that is so astonishing, I still can't figure out how they did it. I mean, I know logically how it is probably accomplished, but I trained my eyes on it the whole time we were in there, every time, and I still did not see any of the "strings" so to speak. It just looks like magic! In fact, anytime we rode TOT for the rest of the trip, it was basically only to see this preshow again (and the queue theming). The actual drop sequence of the ride is quite similar (identical?) to the one at DCA.

After the pre-show, you queue inside a HUGE warehouse containing all the treasures Hightower plundered over the years. The attention to detail in this room is unbelievable.

DSC02864.jpg

DSC02865.jpg

I loved the clever labels on his filing system…

DSC02867.jpg

DSC02866.jpg

DSC02871.jpg

After the ride, you are of course deposited in the gift shop, but even that is a sight to behold. They've done it up like an indoor pool that's been converted to a shop, and if you've ever been to one of the grand old hotels of the early 20th century (like the Biltmore in Downtown LA), you will know what a fantastic job the Imagineers did.

DSC02868.jpg

DSC02869.jpg

DSC02870.jpg

One side of the old diving board…

DSC02877.jpg

The other side!

DSC02872.jpg

DSC02955.jpg

DSC02956.jpg

DSC02875.jpg

DSC02873.jpg

Shiriki Utundu was on EVERYTHING! But the closest we could find to a sculpture/figurine was a bobblehead. They should do a BigFig!

DSC02876.jpg

From the hotel, we wandered around past the Sailing Ship Columbia toward Cape Cod.

DSC02878.jpg

It still boggles my mind how much detail there is in the theming. I mean, there's not even anything to do in these shacks on the docks or the other boats—they're just there to look at!

DSC02879.jpg

DSC02880.jpg

DSC02881.jpg

DSC02882.jpg

Cape Cod. Oh it looks quaint and peaceful all right, but lurking underneath the pleasant façade is an insidious compulsion that has gripped the hearts and minds of all its inhabitants, whipping them into a frenzy of mass consumption, and its name is… DUFFY!!!!

DSC02884.jpg

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this particular mania, let me tell you the story that was told to me: Duffy is a rather generic-looking stuffed bear that Disney introduced at Walt Disney World a few years back. It flopped wildly. Nobody wanted a Disney character they'd never heard of who looked like any other, cheaper teddy bear (except for the hidden Mickey in his face, of course). Well, in a masterstroke of marketing genius, somebody shipped all the surplus Duffys to Japan and came up with an elaborate back story that explained Duffy was the personification of Minnie's love for Mickey, whom Minnie sends with Mickey when he goes away on trips. Voila! The Japanese ADORE Duffy. They buy him in all sizes and clothe him in all manner of adorable outfits. He hangs around their necks or pokes out of their purses or is simply carried all over the parks and even downtown Tokyo. In January, Disney introduced Duffy's girlfriend, Shelly Mae, and she set a new Disney record for number of units moved in a day. So now all of Cape Cod appears to be devoted to Duffy, Shelly Mae, their wardrobes, their accessories, and the collecting of these. There's even a walkaround Duffy who—despite the fact that he's modeled on a character that is already a stuffed animal—looks almost nothing like him.

DSC02883.jpg

DSC02885.jpg

The scene in the Duffy giftshop was reminiscent of the one at the candy shop on my first night in Tokyo Disneyland, and we couldn't get outta there fast enough. Unfortunately, we never ended up spending much time in Cape Cod cuz there was nothing to do there besides Duffy.

Off to Port Discovery!

After getting burned by Raging Spirits, we decided to take the advice of the many people whose description of Aquatopia was basically "like Autopia, but even more boring." If it hadn't been raining for most of our trip, and if the wait had ever been less than 45 minutes, we prolly would have tried it.

DSC02886.jpg

DSC02887.jpg

Too bad nobody warned us about Stormrider.

DSC02888.jpg

Actually, I didn't think it was that bad, but Patrick HATED it. It's a motion simulator ride kind of like, oh, Star Wars meets Soarin'? There's the usual lame excuse to put a bunch of civilians in faux jeopardy on some harebrained expedition that would instantly be scuttled by lawyers and/or government regulatory boards in the real world, and then everything goes predictably wrong and then suddenly it's over. I was just left scratching my head, and I don't think I would have been any more clued even in if I spoke Japanese!

From Port Discovery we took the tunnel back to Mysterious Island.

DSC02890.jpg

I was getting hungry, so we decided to try the Gyoza Buns everybody always talks about. The line was, amazingly, not terribly long, and we were excited to learn that the cart took credit cards.

DSC02892.jpg

I dunno. I like gyoza, but these had some herb or spice in them that I don't like—like bay leaves or something.

By this time, the rain and the freezing cold and the no jacket were starting to catch up with me, as evidenced by this photo…

DSC02891.jpg

… but fortunately, it was approaching check-in time at Hotel MiraCosta, when we would be reunited with our coats!

This time, our key cards worked a few minutes before 4:30pm. We had what Disney calls a Porto Paradiso Side Superior Room Harbor View. The room was laid out identically to the one at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, but with a shorter hall. The shower room also wasn't quite as nice, but MiraCosta is 7 years older.

DSC02893.jpg

DSC02894.jpg

Please excuse all the flaming orbs of light in all these pictures—I had to monkey with the contrast in Photobucket to get the rest of the room to show up!

DSC02895.jpg

DSC02896.jpg

DSC02897.jpg

DSC02898.jpg

More soon-to-be-stolen toiletries!
DSC02899.jpg

DSC02902.jpg

DSC02900.jpg

I will never need to buy slippers again…
DSC02901.jpg

DSC02903.jpg

And more free fruit!
DSC02906.jpg

DSC02913.jpg

Spa price list
DSC02912-1.jpg

DSC02908.jpg

DSC02907.jpg

I'm not sure if all the rooms at MiraCosta are smaller than those at the Disneyland Hotel or if it's just that we were in a different category of room. Either way, holy CRAP was our view magnificent!

DSC02905.jpg

DSC02909.jpg

DSC02910.jpg

We were basically right over the archway that leads into the park. I think this is our room:

DSC03660.jpg

DSC02911.jpg

DSC02914.jpg

The décor had only the slightest Disney touches, which was fine by us but may disappoint some. Here's the detail on the big carved mirror:

DSC02916.jpg

DSC02918.jpg

Mount Prometheus erupts every hour on the hour.

DSC02919.jpg

DSC02920.jpg

DSC02921.jpg

We freshened up, got our coats and scarves and hats and gloves, and headed back out to shop for souvenirs. Patrick's grandma had given us a generous budget with which to purchase something (or things) for his uncle's birthday present, so we had the enviable task of spending someone else's money on anything cool that caught our eye.

This is the part we forgot to take pictures of on our mad dash into the park—the "lobby" area with its huge globe fountain, and the passageway through the hotel and into Mediterranean Harbor.

DSC02924.jpg

DSC02925.jpg

DSC02926.jpg

DSC02927.jpg

We went looking for dinner and ended up at the table service place Ristorante di Canaletto on the canals in Venice.

DSC02928.jpg

DSC02929.jpg

Unfortunately, we encountered our first and only wait at a restaurant—45 minutes—so we went off in search of an alternative.

DSC02930.jpg

DSC02931.jpg

We struck gold at The Teddy Roosevelt Lounge aboard the SS Columbia. What a gem! A table service restaurant with reasonable prices and no waits or crowds—kind of like our fave overlooked spot in the Magic Kingdom, The Plaza Restaurant. The theming here is, again, amazing. It doesn't even feel like theming. It feels like you're aboard a meticulously restored ocean liner… what Long Beach's Queen Mary would feel like if somebody would invest a bunch of money in her.

DSC02942.jpg

DSC02932.jpg

DSC02933.jpg

DSC02934.jpg

DSC02935.jpg

DSC02936.jpg

DSC02937.jpg

DSC02949.jpg

Patrick ordered some kind of melon soda float, I believe… You could pay extra and keep the glass, but we didn't.

DSC02938.jpg

Baked Camembert Cheese with Garlic Toast ¥800
DSC02940.jpg

Roast Beef Sandwich on Graham (wheat bread) served with Fried Potatoes ¥1,260
DSC02941.jpg

Deep-fried Prawn Sandwich on Danish (more like a flattened croissant than a sweet pastry!) served with Fried Potatoes ¥1,200
DSC02939.jpg

We went halvsies on the sandwiches. The roast beef was a little weird cuz it had cocktail sauce on it for some reason (maybe for the horseradish?), but at least the fried prawn sandwich wasn't actually on a Danish—and was delicious!

The stairs up to the SS Columbia Dining Room
DSC02943.jpg

DSC02944.jpg

DSC02945.jpg

DSC02946.jpg

We stopped in at the Sailing Day Buffet to get some pictures for the PassPorter book. They wouldn't let both of us come in without paying, and it turns out the umbrella bags they hand you at the entrance are not just a courtesy, they're mandatory! Keeps the floors dry, I s'pose…

DSC02952.jpg

DSC02953.jpg

DSC02954.jpg

There's a grand, block-long department store in the American Waterfront called (what else?) McDuck's. It is another place to feed one's Duffy/Shelly Mae addiction.

DSC02957.jpg

DSC02959.jpg

DSC02960.jpg

We decided that Uncle Matt needed at least some form of Duffy merchandise as a representation of Tokyo Disney custom, so we got him the smallest one we could find.

"Oh yoo're gon' ta buy mah Duffys!!!"
DSC02961.jpg

DSC02962.jpg

One thing I didn't get was where people got all the different Duffy costumes—we only saw the same one in every shop!

DSC02963.jpg

We worked our way along the edges of Mediterranean Harbour by going through the various shops. There was one devoted to a peculiar selection of almost-but-not-quite hip clothing and souvnenirs. We'd end up going back there a couple times thinking we'd find something that really interested us, only to leave disappointed.

DSC02970.jpg

DSC02971.jpg

DSC02972.jpg

More lovely displays…

DSC02973.jpg

DSC02974.jpg

We headed back up to our room for ringside seats at Tokyo DisneySea's nighttime spectacular, Bravesimo. I think it's about the Goddess of Water falling in love with the God of Fire. I wasn't quite as enchanted as I'd been with Legend of Mythica, but it's quite the spectacle, and I liked it in an IllumiNations kind of way. I guess a lot of people are excited to see it get replaced by Fantasmic! later this year, but since I've never been a fan of any "character jamboree" (as I like to call them), I'm kind of sad to see a unique, non-Disney-character-based show disappear.

You can see a wonderful 3-part HD video of BraviSEAmo on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud3EHhJbNos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EfxNpvhxkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl0RzcDqJ08

DSC02975.jpg

DSC02976.jpg

DSC02977.jpg

DSC02978.jpg

DSC02980.jpg

DSC02979.jpg

DSC02981.jpg

DSC02982.jpg

DSC02983.jpg

DSC02984.jpg

DSC02987.jpg

DSC02988.jpg

DSC02989.jpg

This guy would give Disneyland's Murphy a run for her money!
DSC02990.jpg

DSC02991.jpg

DSC02992.jpg

DSC02993.jpg

DSC02994.jpg

DSC02995.jpg

DSC02997.jpg

DSC02998.jpg

DSC02999.jpg

DSC03002.jpg

DSC03003.jpg

DSC03004.jpg

I'm sure there's a Grand Finale in there somewhere…
DSC03005.jpg

DSC03007.jpg

DSC03008.jpg

DSC03009.jpg

As soon as the show was over, we dashed downstairs to get in our last two FASTPASS rides. Despite the fact that the park was only open til 10pm, we still managed to squeeze in JTTCOE, 20KL, and TOT; a trip on the DisneySea Electric Railway; and a lot more photos of Mysterious Island!

DSC03010.jpg

DSC03011.jpg

DSC03012.jpg

DSC03013.jpg

Journey to the Center of the Earth FASTPASS machines—wicked!

DSC03014.jpg

I guess we went on Indy again!

DSC03015.jpg

Gee, there wasn't even a line at Tower of Terror?

DSC03016.jpg

DSC03017.jpg

I smell another Facebook profile pic for Patrick!

DSC03018.jpg

Finally we staggered back up to the room, I had my aforementioned meltdown, and we zonked out. Looking back on it now, I see we still had a ton of fun that day—and it only got better!

Up Next: Second Full Day at Tokyo DisneySea!

After this update, I have a new desire to go to Tokyo. Wow! That place looks amazing. I hate that it might not have gone quite as well as you hoped (with the cold and rain and all!), but it looks like you got to see a lot of things! And what a fabulous view from your room!

Wwwoooowww! I'm speechless! And yet here I am typing something...:lmao:

Between your report and Jack Spence's TDL travelogue from a while back, I guess I need to put this destination on my bucket list. The detailing and over-the-top theming are just so unbelieveable.

Thanks for soldiering on through the rain and cold! I can't wait to see how it gets better.

great update! I am getting even more excited for my Sept trip and thanks for posting all the menus too that has really helped since I am picky eater and it's hard to find many details on what they serve.

I also loved the self-imposed rabbit ears on ToT

a
m
a
z
i
n
g
That park looks incredible..and YOUR attention to detail is superb...I am enjoying everything about this report..thank you so much, again, for sharing!

Monorail wait times! Cool!

That running business is too funny! Sounds like being commando is definitely the thing to do - pack that fun in until it hurts!

Such elaborate theming everywhere - it's so awesome to see all of your pictures! What a great report!
:cloud9:

Once again, I'm amazed! All of the attention to detail and the theming in each area of your report are crazy! I love that DisneySea is a unique experience, not just a copy of the "other parks." I can't wait to Sea more! Okay, pretend you didn't sea that - somebody stop me!:lmao:

Wow! Fantastic update-- I wanna go! Loved seeing their version of ToT. Interesting story about the Duffy phenom. Can't wait to read about day two.

I know how hard it can be to try to reach someone in Disney that doesn't have a cell phone. It seems like you are just feet away, but you can't find the other.

Yum! Strawberry popcorn!

Sinbad looks cute. I also like Small World by the way.

What does the little Chandu (that Patrick might have purchased) do?

Ok. I love those ears. They may be tacky, but I do lol

I love the "closed" sign on ToT. My fave ride in WDW. Well I've only been to WDW. No other Disney park.

I don't understand why they changed the story. I think the original story is excellent. I prefer it.

I like how they drew the Incredibles on that shirt!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter