To Warranty or Not that is the question.....

MaMudduck

Disney Princess Forever
Because of the other thread regarding digital camera recommendation, I got inspired and bid & won an Olympus D-560 for $135.00- for me that's at least a $100(CDN) savings over anything I could find in Canada.

The camera is less in features than I really had wanted (Really wanted 4MP with >/=8x optical but with all the upcoming trip cost I couldn't justify the difference now)

So my questions to all you experts (Gail I'm calling your name ;) )

1) Did I get a good deal on eBay? $135.00- 3.3MP, 3x opt, 3xdig

2) Anyone else have this camera? I would love any feed back.

3) It comes with a 90day manufacturer warranty and then if I would like an extended 5year warranty I can purchase it from the seller for $39.00- Yes or NO?

4) Would you buy any extra’s , accessory kit with ‘writer/reader', camera bag, ++ other stuff (no extra flash card) an additional $65.00

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Wendy

Well, the warranty is a kind of insurance, and like any insurance, you gamble that the potential benefits outwiegh the cost. I usually never pay extra for a warranty, considering it a waste of money. However, dh bought a printer from Circuit City and got talked into buying the extended warranty for $17. Then, the printer broke down exactly one day after the manufacturer's warranty expired. Well, we just happened to have all the paperwork for the extended warranty (do keep that in a safe place--the store doesn't keep records like that). The store gave us a new printer--said it was more cost-effective for them than repairing the original one. Sometimes those warranties do come in handy!

Originally posted by MaMudduck
Because of the other thread regarding digital camera recommendation, I got inspired and bid & won an Olympus D-560 for $135.00- for me that's at least a $100(CDN) savings over anything I could find in Canada.

The camera is less in features than I really had wanted (Really wanted 4MP with >/=8x optical but with all the upcoming trip cost I couldn't justify the difference now)

So my questions to all you experts (Gail I'm calling your name ;) )

1) Did I get a good deal on eBay? $135.00- 3.3MP, 3x opt, 3xdig

2) Anyone else have this camera? I would love any feed back.

3) It comes with a 90day manufacturer warranty and then if I would like an extended 5year warranty I can purchase it from the seller for $39.00- Yes or NO?

4) Would you buy any extra’s , accessory kit with ‘writer/reader', camera bag, ++ other stuff (no extra flash card) an additional $65.00

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Wendy

I think you did very well.
YES, buy the warranty, and this is only because I did purchase the warranty extended by the seller when I purchased my first camera and I am VERY happy I did. Saved me BIG bucks when I had to have the camera repaired. I don't normally buy these, btw, but, this was a refurb and I wanted more than 90 days or protection.
NO to the assessories. You can do much better at somewhere like WalMart.

It comes with a 90day manufacturer warranty and then if I would like an extended 5year warranty I can purchase it from the seller for $39.00- Yes or NO?

I bought two of my kids this camera for Christmas 2002. One of them broke this past March. The warrenty was for a year, I had paid for it with my charge card that doubles the warranty, so it was covered. Olympus charges a flat fee (I think it was about $90) to fix it, so I sent it in (my cc paid for it) and they fixed it. So do you want to gamble the $39 that it wil break? That's the answer.

Thank you everyone for your input. Glad to know about the credit card thing.

Originally posted by DMRick
I bought two of my kids this camera for Christmas 2002. One of them broke this past March. The warrenty was for a year, I had paid for it with my charge card that doubles the warranty, so it was covered. Olympus charges a flat fee (I think it was about $90) to fix it, so I sent it in (my cc paid for it) and they fixed it. So do you want to gamble the $39 that it wil break? That's the answer.

My extra warranty cost me exactly 8.00 (for return shipping) when my camera broke. I would definitely gamble the 39.00 on that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter