To My Brother EROS (Is It Time Yet?)

Well, IF the DIS were the center of intellectual cyberspace - I wouldn't be visiting here! I NEED fluff! I come here for fluff. Long live fluff!!!!!!!

Originally posted by EROS

HEY, 99% of my OWN posts are PURE, UNADULTERATED,.............FLUFF:jester: :jester:

Actually, I believe 99% of your posts are Heidi-in-a-bikini pics . . .:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well... less than 1/2 of 1 percent of EROS' posts are of Nicole Kidman... but always worth the wait!!!

Mr. EROS, you are a prize, Sir! (SSB means that in a "good way", just in case any other interpretation out there)

:) :) :)

"Per Aspera Ad Astra"

- Latin Poet, "Seneca"

"SSB, you haven't been calling again:mad: :mad: :mad: "

nicole066.jpg

Today, I'm less concerned about THE BIG GUY and more preoccupied with deciding between Dentyne vs. Trident gum

I must say that I am really not surprised that you wouldn't answer the question. The reason being is that anyone would be hard pressed to come up with an answer to this if they deny a belief in God. Afterall, are we to believe that non-morality evolves into morality :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

I originally talked about the bad, what about the good? Can you share your thoughts on doing good? If we will not be judged (because there is no god) why should we serve others? Could it be the answer is "We WILL be judged?"

As far as the gum question goes, it doesn't matter because 4 out of 5 dentists recommend sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum!:jester: :jester:

So don't feel bad brother for not being able to answer, you are in good company with a lot of very noteworth people such as Walt Whitman, Michel de Montaigne, Sir Richard F. Burton, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Mark Twain, Joseph Campbell and many many more.

Peace

Adam aka Big Dude

I prefer to see a balance of fluff and discussion. Fluff gets boring after a while.

Just bumping in case EROS hasn't gotten a chance to see and ANSWER:confused: the original question of this post.

;) ;) ;)

Adam aka Big Dude

Originally posted by Big Dude

you are in good company with a lot of very noteworth people such as Walt Whitman, Michel de Montaigne, Sir Richard F. Burton, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Mark Twain, Joseph Campbell and many many more.

BIG DUDE, thanks for putting me in such illustrious company:) :) :) . I WILL answer you, but probably by E-Mail when I have time to do some composition. During the day, I'm just able to get here for short bursts:) :) :) .

My "short" answer is that MORALITY has NOTHING to do with GOD. In fact, societies had "morals" for centuries before the 10 Commandments were "handed to" Moses:) :) .....

Originally posted by EROS

My "short" answer is that MORALITY has NOTHING to do with GOD.

How does that go? Oh, I remember.

Polite golf clap for Eros.

I'm kind of sorry I went through the work of dragging the big chair in here for that!
splat.gif

BIG DUDE, the AZTECS had a very advanced civilization from approx. 1100-1520 A.D.; some of their "GODS" included:

Tlaloc(Tlah-loc) Rain god. Linked with child sacrifice.
Huitzilopochtli(Weet-zeel-o-potch-tly) War god.
Coatlicue( Co-at-lee-kway) Wears a serpent skirt,Goddess of death
Quetzalcoatl (Kayt-zal-co-atl) Often linked with human sacrifice.

""The occurrence of human sacrifice appears to have been widespread and its intentions various, ranging from communion with a god and participation in his divine life to expiation and the promotion of the Earth fertility.It seems to have been adopted by agricultural rather than by hunting or pastoral peoples. Of all the worldly manifestations of the life-force,the human undoubtedly impressed men as the most valuable and thus the most potent and efficacious as an oblation. Thus, in Mexico the belief that the sun needed human nourishment led to sacrifice in which as many as 20,000 victims perished annually in the Aztec and Nahua calendrical maize ritual in the 14th century AD."

aztecs40.gif

What's my point???? MORALITY is a function of CULTURE rather than of religion. Going back to centuries before CHRIST the Greeks and Egyptians had elaborate religious systems based upon various myths. Their "morality" flowed from "divine" sources which today YOU would call "primitive" or "pagan". However, they worshipped THEIR gods with the same passion that you bring to a Judeo-Christian "God". :D:D:D

Will the REAL GOD pleaaaaaaaase STAND UP?????

My short don't-wanna-type-all-day response:

biggthumpup.gif

I guess that means all of us atheists/agnostics have no morals. :rolleyes:

If we will not be judged (because there is no god) why should we serve others?

I'm sorry, but I'm smart enough to see that being a good person serves to improve society and thus my own life. I don't need a god to tell me to do that or else I'll be punished.

Having a great understanding of biological evolution but not social evolution, I would guess morality is a product of intelligence.

Afterall, are we to believe that non-morality evolves into morality

Gee, you really proved your point there! After all, are we to believe that technology evolved from lack of technology? Are we to believe that superhighways evolved from dirt paths? Well that would just be ridiculous! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the PM brother and I will be awaiting the e-mail. That was a very interesting history lesson with very interesting facts. (Deb in Iowa should be proud;) )

DocRafiki:
I guess that means all of us atheists/agnostics have no morals

Not at all! I believe just the opposite. My question to you would be the same as EROS. What do you base your morality on? Is it a man made creation?

I'm sorry, but I'm smart enough to see that being a good person serves to improve society and thus my own life. I don't need a god to tell me to do that or else I'll be punished. Having a great understanding of biological evolution but not social evolution, I would guess morality is a product of intelligence.

How so? If there is no god, how do YOU determine what is right and what is wrong? As stated in the original post," Where did morality find its beginning? Did one ape finally decide that killing another ape was wrong? Did one decide that it was wrong to steal another ape's supper?

I'm not sure where the 2nd part of that paragraph came from. I certainly never mentioned punishment anywhere in my post.

Gee, you really proved your point there! After all, are we to believe that technology evolved from lack of technology? Are we to believe that superhighways evolved from dirt paths? Well that would just be ridiculous!

Are we also to believe that there was a "BIG BANG" and the world just arrived? That would mean that I can take the 100's of pieces that make up a clock, toss them into a box, shake the box vigorously and when I open the box, a functional clock will be the outcome? The earth is the perfect distance from the sun. A little closer and we would burn, a little farther away and we would freeze. There is just the right amount of oxygen content for survival. It is positioned in the galaxy just right so we wouldn't be hammered into the ground nor launched into space by some strange force. Happenstance? Coincidence? I say the Creator (God) had His hand in it's creation. Which one sounds ridiculous?

Anyway, I have to tuck my little guy into bed. I look forward to more conversation with both of you and anyone else who cares to join in. It's nice to absorb what others are thinking.

I wish you both a peaceful evening.

Adam aka Big Dude

Originally posted by Big Dude
The earth is the perfect distance from the sun. A little closer and we would burn, a little farther away and we would freeze. There is just the right amount of oxygen content for survival. It is positioned in the galaxy just right so we wouldn't be hammered into the ground nor launched into space by some strange force.

BIG DUDE.........all of the above is TRUE:) :) . However, if the BIG GUY was sooooooooooooo adept at facilitating these perfect conditions for life on EARTH, then it would stand to reason that HE would have done so throughout the Heavens. After all, isn't GOD the creator of.............THE UNIVERSE????:confused: :confused: :confused:. If there was No Big Bang, then why didn't he "manufacture" conditions for LIFE throughout our Solar System?????........Hey, the more LIFE the merrier!!!!!............ More beings to go to CHURCH:) :). Why would he have given birth to BILLIONS of stars which have NO prayer of sustaining LIFE?????

If there was No Big Bang, then why didn't he "manufacture" conditions for LIFE throughout our Solar System?????........

Let's turn that right around..............
In an evolving (Big Bang created) universe, life should have developed everywhere. Space should be filled with radio signals from intelligent life forms. Where is everybody?:confused: :confused: :confused: We are here as living proof of His love. I cannot question His intents. All I know is that WE are here!

Let's go a little further. What else is missing from the Big Bang theory? How about origin? Where did the energy come from that created the Big Bang? Catalyst, what was the catalyst that ignited the Big Bang? Missing Star Formation? No natural way has been found to explain the formation of planets, stars, and galaxies. An explosion should produce, at best, an outward spray of gas and radiation. This gas should continue expanding, not form intricate planets, stars, and entire galaxies.

Interesting thought though my brother.

Adam aka Big Dude

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter