To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

We've gotten about 9-13 inches so far. The race area has been somewhat spared to this point and is sitting around 4-6 inches. The bright side is that once the sidewalks were cleared it seems most of the snow melts on first contact. So once they get the roads/paths clear they may be not that bad.

Alright, we're currently forecasted for 3-7 inches in the race area. Feels like temps of 24-31F, sunny, and no wind. He posted the alternate routes, and now that I'm looking at it I'm pretty sure this is the same route we had to run in 2014. It's about 50% bike path and 50% road for the HM. The 5k/10k is 100% road. He says the DNR doesn't plow the path, but that the city is going to try and finish up the roads then get someone to do the path for us. No guarantees though.

So here's my plan. First, ensure the roads are safe to drive the hour to get there. Second, upon arriving I'll do a warm-up on the bike path to see how clear it'll be for the race. If I don't like the conditions, then I'll check out the road 10k course. Based on the two, I'll choose which race I want to do, and if it's the 10k, then I'll just inform the RD I'm dropping down distance.

So with that, on the chance I run the 10k, I need the guesses for the following (and anyone else that still wants to play):

Contingency 10k guesses:

41:00 - Me
41:43 - G
41:45 - @eminemilie
42:10 - @Jules76126
42:24 - @MissLiss279
42:50 - @azrivest
43:19 - @Naomeri
43:21 - @flav
43:36 - @JAMIESMITH

@bovie
@FFigawi
38:25

Doesn't sound like the 10k contingency will be needed at this point (has the race already happened?) but I didn't want to be the only untagged person without a guess, so going with 42:30.

2023 First Call HM Race Recap
The drama with this race started in the week leading into it. The early 10 day forecast showed little chance for precipitation during the race and prior to it. But by the time we got to Thursday morning things were looking pretty bad forecast wise. Depending on which forecast you looked at, some were saying 1-3 inches Friday night into Saturday. While other forecasts were saying as much as 8-10 inches. The snow storm hit, and it hit hard. Waukesha (race location) was suppose to get more than the Madison area, but the storm hit a little more westward and we ended up getting the brunt of it.

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 1.40.43 PM.png

We ended up getting about 11-13 inches, and the Waukesha area got 8-12 inches. The bright side though was that it had been fairly warm all week, and was relatively warm as soon as the snow storm ended. So if the road or sidewalk was plowed than most of the remenants melted. So I was hopeful that the conditions would be clear on the course.

The race director did a good job of keeping everyone informed. He let us know he had an approved backup course in case the snow was too much on the path. About midway through Saturday he informed us that we would be using the alternate path. So it would be a "looped" course that had a "Y" shape to it. Lots of opportunities to see other runners on course. Later in the day the RD informed us that the Waukesha parks department had cleared the running path and with a few exceptions of frozen ice puddles, we were all clear. I had a contingency that I would drop back to the 10k if needed, but based on this, I was feeling good about the HM. So I head to bed around 8:30pm Saturday night.

Important to note that this race also comes about 3.5 weeks after my COVID diagnosis and having to take a full week off from running.

I got good sleep overnight. I woke up around 5:15am, took a shower, ate a PB sandwich around 5:50am, and drank some liquid IV. It was fairly cold early in the morning and then it was going to warm up. So I brought a selection of attire. Steph and G were not joining me for this race. Unfortunately, G caught COVID from a classmate. This was the furthest I would be driving to an "unknown" location by myself. Steph usually does most of the long distance driving. I left the house around 6:45am.

The drive was eventful. The sun was rising in the east and just at the horizon so it was right in my eyes. It was pretty unavoidable in staring right at it. Then because the temps were rising, there was some fog on the road. At one point the fog was so heavy I literally couldn't see a car length in front of me and had to slow WAY down. Thankfully there weren't that many cars on the road. But the cars that were on the road were getting pulled over like crazy. On my 55 min drive I saw six different cars pulled over. After all that though, I made it to the race start location around 7:45am and found a nice parking spot in the small parking lot. If I had arrived maybe 5-10 min later I would have had to parallel park on the street.

Pre-race, I did the following. I walked to the municipal building, used the real bathrooms, got my bib, changed into my tights/long sleeve/hat/medium gloves, used the bathroom again, and then went for a 11 min warm-up run. I wanted to run on the HM course to verify it was clear. And I was pleasantly surprised that outside of the small bridge and a frozen puddle the course was clear for the first 0.5 mile. So running the HM was a go. I got back to the car and changed into my olive shorts, tank top, light gloves, and headband. Used the portas, and then headed back to the car around 8:45am. I drank my 17oz Maurten 320, and then around 8:50am I made my way to the start line. Chatted with a guy at the start, and then after the national anthem it was time to go.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear sky, Wind 5mph to ?
Start: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 25°F; FL - 29°F
End: Temp+Dew = 38°F + 26°F; FL - 29°F

Mile 1 - 7:01 - GAP 6:57
It was a mass start for the 5k, 10k, and HM. Because of the alternate course, after about 0.1 miles the 5k/10k runners went left, and then the HM runners went right. So it was at this point we could see who the HM runners were. I started off at hot, but not too hot. I did a good job containing myself out the gate. I was aiming to be around 7:00-7:10 pace. So when I saw 6:30s, and then 6:50s, I knew I was doing a reasonably good job. The HM'ers took the right hand turn and then we passed the frozen puddle and made our way up the slick small bridge. It was here that someone turned around frustrated and said, "is this the HM course? I'm doing the 10k!" and had to back track. He was moving fast early in the race and lost probably 1.5-2 min on his 10k time which is a massive blow.

After that event, things settled down. There was some people already really far ahead of me, and then a group of runners about 10-20 ft ahead of me. I slowly made my way to try and stick with that group ahead, but being mindful of trying to stay around a 7:00 min/mile. So when the first mile ended at 7:01, I was pretty happy with myself.

Mile 2 - 6:55 - GAP 6:56
Mile 2 was more of the same... Oh wait, no it wasn't. We crossed two roads during the first mile, and then as we came to the end of mile 1 and past the second road crossing the path was no longer clear. It was a mix of snow, hard uneven ice, and it wasn't the easiest thing to run through. My ankles were going all over the place. My feet were slipping from underneath me. All the while I had to keep my eyes up as well to make sure I stayed in contact with the group ahead of me. So much for a clear path. This was a mess and a real pain to run through.

ETA- The course looked something like this during that portion:

thumbnail_img_5549-jpg.750827

Somewhere around this point the other HM runners started heading back on the path so I knew the turn around was near. I feel like I counted something like 7-8 runners ahead of me. The group ahead of me had started to splinter. I feel like I passed the overall female, and 2-3 other guys.

Mile 3 - 6:54 - GAP 6:53

After we hit the turnaround at Mile 1.9 the bike path got more crowded with runners heading to the turnaround. So this made it harder running on the snow/ice because you had to do what you had to do. Not a lot of room to choose the best path. Additionally, the guy ahead of me was going a little slower than I wanted to go based on how my body was feeling, but because of the tight conditions it was tough to pass. So I just bided my time until there was an opening around Mile 2.5 and then I was able to open the legs up a bit more. The bonus was that I had made it back to the clear bike path and was now trying to chase down those ahead of me. So Mile 1.1 to Mile 2.7 was the portion of the course that was snow/ice. So in the end about 3.2 miles of the total course since we were bound to loop back on that part. As soon as the road cleared my legs opened up to 6:40s pacing.

Mile 4 - 6:45 - GAP 6:47
The chase was on. The legs felt good. The breathing felt good. The last of the HM runners had passed by and the path was clear of people and snow. Once I got back to the small bridge I had another runner over my shoulder. He was one of the group of runners I had passed earlier. We stayed stride for stride through the remainder of the HM exclusive fork, and then we joined up with the 5k/10k runners on their path. Things got a little more crowded again, but now I had runners on my side of the path too that I had to time my passes with. I did my best at informing others about passing on the left and everyone was amenable. At the end of the 4th mile, the other runner was still just behind me on my shoulder.

Mile 5 - 6:57 - GAP 6:56

Body was still feeling good and the breathing was in a good place. Maybe the 6:45 was a bit too hot. Or maybe it was the right pace at the right time. Still loads of other 5k/10k runners. Lots of thumbs up for other runners. Pretty sure that during this mile I saw the HM leaders headed back from the other turnaround point. Right around this point is when the runner who had been sitting on my shoulder made his move and overtook me.

Mile 6 - 7:02 - GAP 7:01
Around Mile 5.1 was the second turnaround spot. I had my Maurten caff gel around the 40 min mark. The other runner was just ahead of me, and then the overall female had made up quite a bit of ground on me and was only about 10-20 seconds behind. I could tell she was closing in on me as the mile proceeded because the people running in the opposite direction and not looking at me and cheering was getting closer and closer to my position as they cheered for the lead female. I don't think I held her off for long on this mile. Pretty sure she passed me when I stopped for my one water stop at Mile 5.9 for about 10 seconds or so.

Mile 7 - 7:14 - GAP 7:12
I tried not to pay too much attention to this mile's time because I knew it included a short water stop. I hit the 10k mark at 43:06. I was pleased with this given the 1.6 miles of snow/ice earlier in the race. And then I looked at my watch when I hit the 6.55 mile mark (halfway) and saw it at 45:30. So in a 13.11 GPS mile race, I was on target for a 1:31:00 finish. At the 6.6 mile mark, I started my second loop of the course. I carried my water cup from the Mile 5.9 aid station and then lined up the trash can while in full stride. I let it go like a magic March Madness hoops shot and... swish! Nothing but trashcan. And the crowd went wild. No, really. They did. I got lots of cheers, kudos, and real enthusiasm at the shot.

Mile 8 - 7:09 - GAP 7:07

Still chasing the guy and lead female that had passed me earlier. The overall female had overtaken the guy as well at this point. Things were starting to get harder. I looked down not long after starting the 7th mile I saw the pace in the 7:30s and it was decision time. Am I fading this one hard, or am I going to fight for it? I decided to try and increase the effort level. Interestingly enough, the pace must have been misleading because that small segment of the race doesn't line up with everything else. Regardless, I was pushing hard at this point. Crossed over the two roads and then it was back to the snow/ice for another 1.6 miles again. This time it was worse. I was tired. The snow/ice had thawed a little. Some was slush, some was still hard ice and it was hard to tell what was what until the foot fell. Add on to that, the other HM runners had also now run on the path and it was much harder to run on than the first time around. All that on tired legs made it so compromising with each step.

Mile 9 - 7:21 - GAP 7:20
As I approached the turnaround I took note of my total time when the overall female and other guy hit the turn. That way I could calculate how far behind each I was. At this point I was a minute behind the female and about 30 seconds behind the other guy. Then after I hit the turnaround I kept my eyes open for the runner behind me. I had my concentrated Tailwind at this point as well (about 58 min). I had a pretty sizeable gap on the runners behind me and felt reasonably confident they weren't going to catch me outside of a real breakdown. The runners come back at me were more spread out so it was easier to find "the best path" in the snow/ice, but honestly it was a struggle running through it.

Mile 10 - 6:59 - GAP 7:02
Finally at the Mile 9.1 mark I was done with the snow/ice. I turned on the jets and was starting to feel better. The caff gel was kicking in now. I was slowly reeling in the other guy ahead of me. I crossed over the small bridge for the last time and hit the 10 mile mark. I was 3.11 miles away and was still on target for something in the 1:32-1:33 range.

Mile 11 - 7:16 - GAP 7:15

I came back to the mesh point and the crowd recognized me as the "cup guy" as I ran past. I was really feeling it at this point. I just kept pushing and pushing. Not long after I passed the Mile 10.3 mark is when the HM leader passed me heading the other direction. He was really flying at this point. I don't remember much else other than I was starting to get gassed.

Mile 12 - 7:21 - GAP 7:21

Hit the turnaround point at Mile 11.6. Both the overall female and the other guy had opened a bigger gap on me. But at the same time I had a large gap on those behind me too. So I was solidly in my position at this point with little chance of catching or being caught. So now it was just me versus the clock.

Mile 13 - 7:25 - GAP 7:23
Home stretch! A spectator yelled that they liked my smile, which caused me to smile more. At this point it was just about making it to the finish. My body was aching all over. I hit the Mile 13.0 mark at 1:32:27 mark and knew I was doing well.

Mile 13.22 - 6:55 - GAP 6:59

I could see the finish ahead of me. Glanced back and didn't see any hard chargers, so I just glided into the finish!

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 3.41.40 PM.png

Final Finish time - 1:33:55
Overall Place - 9th/132 (6.8%)
Gender Place - 8th/62 (12.9%)
AG Place - 3rd/10 (30%)

The top 3 finished in 1:15, 1:18, and 1:19. Officially I finished in 10th place, but there's a 45 yo female that probably ran the 10k and not the HM.

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 3.08.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 3.08.23 PM.png

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my race effort. I definitely faded in the back half of the race. And I'll need to keep adding back my endurance, but the 3.2 miles of snow/ice definitely took something out of me. And the fact that this was my 3rd official fastest HM out of 21 attempts while running 25% of the course on snow/ice is a pretty good sign.

There wasn't an official award ceremony. Just on the honor system. I picked up my 3rd place AG and then made my way home.

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 1.33.36 PM.png

So where does this place us in the season long prediction game?

1:32:59 - @JAMIESMITH
1:33:00 - G
1:33:31 - @MissLiss279
1:34:00 - Me
1:34:25 - @eminemilie
1:34:56 - @flav
1:35:22 - @Naomeri
1:35:50 - @azrivest
1:36:00 - @bovie
1:36:22 - @FFigawi
1:37:10 - @Jules76126

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 3.20.37 PM.png

G still leads, but Dad is right behind her with potentially two races remaining in the Spring Season.

Last edited:
I can't believe you predicted your finish time within 5 seconds of what it actually was! G is going to have to start playing defense with you when she makes her guesses.

I also cannot fathom running in snow while wearing shorts.

2023 First Call HM Race Recap
The drama with this race started in the week leading into it. The early 10 day forecast showed little chance for precipitation during the race and prior to it. But by the time we got to Thursday morning things were looking pretty bad forecast wise. Depending on which forecast you looked at, some were saying 1-3 inches Friday night into Saturday. While other forecasts were saying as much as 8-10 inches. The snow storm hit, and it hit hard. Waukesha (race location) was suppose to get more than the Madison area, but the storm hit a little more westward and we ended up getting the brunt of it.

View attachment 749015

We ended up getting about 11-13 inches, and the Waukesha area got 8-12 inches. The bright side though was that it had been fairly warm all week, and was relatively warm as soon as the snow storm ended. So if the road or sidewalk was plowed than most of the remenants melted. So I was hopeful that the conditions would be clear on the course.

The race director did a good job of keeping everyone informed. He let us know he had an approved backup course in case the snow was too much on the path. About midway through Saturday he informed us that we would be using the alternate path. So it would be a "looped" course that had a "Y" shape to it. Lots of opportunities to see other runners on course. Later in the day the RD informed us that the Waukesha parks department had cleared the running path and with a few exceptions of frozen ice puddles, we were all clear. I had a contingency that I would drop back to the 10k if needed, but based on this, I was feeling good about the HM. So I head to bed around 8:30pm Saturday night.

Important to note that this race also comes about 3.5 weeks after my COVID diagnosis and having to take a full week off from running.

I got good sleep overnight. I woke up around 5:15am, took a shower, ate a PB sandwich around 5:50am, and drank some liquid IV. It was fairly cold early in the morning and then it was going to warm up. So I brought a selection of attire. Steph and G were not joining me for this race. Unfortunately, G caught COVID from a classmate. This was the furthest I would be driving to an "unknown" location by myself. Steph usually does most of the long distance driving. I left the house around 6:45am.

The drive was eventful. The sun was rising in the east and just at the horizon so it was right in my eyes. It was pretty unavoidable in staring right at it. Then because the temps were rising, there was some fog on the road. At one point the fog was so heavy I literally couldn't see a car length in front of me and had to slow WAY down. Thankfully there weren't that many cars on the road. But the cars that were on the road were getting pulled over like crazy. On my 55 min drive I saw six different cars pulled over. After all that though, I made it to the race start location around 7:45am and found a nice parking spot in the small parking lot. If I had arrived maybe 5-10 min later I would have had to parallel park on the street.

Pre-race, I did the following. I walked to the municipal building, used the real bathrooms, got my bib, changed into my tights/long sleeve/hat/medium gloves, used the bathroom again, and then went for a 11 min warm-up run. I wanted to run on the HM course to verify it was clear. And I was pleasantly surprised that outside of the small bridge and a frozen puddle the course was clear for the first 0.5 mile. So running the HM was a go. I got back to the car and changed into my olive shorts, tank top, light gloves, and headband. Used the portas, and then headed back to the car around 8:45am. I drank my 17oz Maurten 320, and then around 8:50am I made my way to the start line. Chatted with a guy at the start, and then after the national anthem it was time to go.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear sky, Wind 5mph to ?
Start: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 25°F; FL - 29°F
End: Temp+Dew = 38°F + 26°F; FL - 29°F

Mile 1 - 7:01 - GAP 6:57
It was a mass start for the 5k, 10k, and HM. Because of the alternate course, after about 0.1 miles the 5k/10k runners went left, and then the HM runners went right. So it was at this point we could see who the HM runners were. I started off at hot, but not too hot. I did a good job containing myself out the gate. I was aiming to be around 7:00-7:10 pace. So when I saw 6:30s, and then 6:50s, I knew I was doing a reasonably good job. The HM'ers took the right hand turn and then we passed the frozen puddle and made our way up the slick small bridge. It was here that someone turned around frustrated and said, "is this the HM course? I'm doing the 10k!" and had to back track. He was moving fast early in the race and lost probably 1.5-2 min on his 10k time which is a massive blow.

After that event, things settled down. There was some people already really far ahead of me, and then a group of runners about 10-20 ft ahead of me. I slowly made my way to try and stick with that group ahead, but being mindful of trying to stay around a 7:00 min/mile. So when the first mile ended at 7:01, I was pretty happy with myself.

Mile 2 - 6:55 - GAP 6:56
Mile 2 was more of the same... Oh wait, no it wasn't. We crossed two roads during the first mile, and then as we came to the end of mile 1 and past the second road crossing the path was no longer clear. It was a mix of snow, hard uneven ice, and it wasn't the easiest thing to run through. My ankles were going all over the place. My feet were slipping from underneath me. All the while I had to keep my eyes up as well to make sure I stayed in contact with the group ahead of me. So much for a clear path. This was a mess and a real pain to run through. Somewhere around this point the other HM runners started heading back on the path so I knew the turn around was near. I feel like I counted something like 7-8 runners ahead of me. The group ahead of me had started to splinter. I feel like I passed the overall female, and 2-3 other guys.

Mile 3 - 6:54 - GAP 6:53

After we hit the turnaround at Mile 1.9 the bike path got more crowded with runners heading to the turnaround. So this made it harder running on the snow/ice because you had to do what you had to do. Not a lot of room to choose the best path. Additionally, the guy ahead of me was going a little slower than I wanted to go based on how my body was feeling, but because of the tight conditions it was tough to pass. So I just bided my time until there was an opening around Mile 2.5 and then I was able to open the legs up a bit more. The bonus was that I had made it back to the clear bike path and was now trying to chase down those ahead of me. So Mile 1.1 to Mile 2.7 was the portion of the course that was snow/ice. So in the end about 3.2 miles of the total course since we were bound to loop back on that part. As soon as the road cleared my legs opened up to 6:40s pacing.

Mile 4 - 6:45 - GAP 6:47
The chase was on. The legs felt good. The breathing felt good. The last of the HM runners had passed by and the path was clear of people and snow. Once I got back to the small bridge I had another runner over my shoulder. He was one of the group of runners I had passed earlier. We stayed stride for stride through the remainder of the HM exclusive fork, and then we joined up with the 5k/10k runners on their path. Things got a little more crowded again, but now I had runners on my side of the path too that I had to time my passes with. I did my best at informing others about passing on the left and everyone was amenable. At the end of the 4th mile, the other runner was still just behind me on my shoulder.

Mile 5 - 6:57 - GAP 6:56

Body was still feeling good and the breathing was in a good place. Maybe the 6:45 was a bit too hot. Or maybe it was the right pace at the right time. Still loads of other 5k/10k runners. Lots of thumbs up for other runners. Pretty sure that during this mile I saw the HM leaders headed back from the other turnaround point. Right around this point is when the runner who had been sitting on my shoulder made his move and overtook me.

Mile 6 - 7:02 - GAP 7:01
Around Mile 5.1 was the second turnaround spot. I had my Maurten caff gel around the 40 min mark. The other runner was just ahead of me, and then the overall female had made up quite a bit of ground on me and was only about 10-20 seconds behind. I could tell she was closing in on me as the mile proceeded because the people running in the opposite direction and not looking at me and cheering was getting closer and closer to my position as they cheered for the lead female. I don't think I held her off for long on this mile. Pretty sure she passed me when I stopped for my one water stop at Mile 5.9 for about 10 seconds or so.

Mile 7 - 7:14 - GAP 7:12
I tried not to pay too much attention to this mile's time because I knew it included a short water stop. I hit the 10k mark at 43:06. I was pleased with this given the 1.6 miles of snow/ice earlier in the race. And then I looked at my watch when I hit the 6.55 mile mark (halfway) and saw it at 45:30. So in a 13.11 GPS mile race, I was on target for a 1:31:00 finish. At the 6.6 mile mark, I started my second loop of the course. I carried my water cup from the Mile 5.9 aid station and then lined up the trash can while in full stride. I let it go like a magic March Madness hoops shot and... swish! Nothing but trashcan. And the crowd went wild. No, really. They did. I got lots of cheers, kudos, and real enthusiasm at the shot.

Mile 8 - 7:09 - GAP 7:07

Still chasing the guy and lead female that had passed me earlier. The overall female had overtaken the guy as well at this point. Things were starting to get harder. I looked down not long after starting the 7th mile I saw the pace in the 7:30s and it was decision time. Am I fading this one hard, or am I going to fight for it? I decided to try and increase the effort level. Interestingly enough, the pace must have been misleading because that small segment of the race doesn't line up with everything else. Regardless, I was pushing hard at this point. Crossed over the two roads and then it was back to the snow/ice for another 1.6 miles again. This time it was worse. I was tired. The snow/ice had thawed a little. Some was slush, some was still hard ice and it was hard to tell what was what until the foot fell. Add on to that, the other HM runners had also now run on the path and it was much harder to run on than the first time around. All that on tired legs made it so compromising with each step.

Mile 9 - 7:21 - GAP 7:20
As I approached the turnaround I took note of my total time when the overall female and other guy hit the turn. That way I could calculate how far behind each I was. At this point I was a minute behind the female and about 30 seconds behind the other guy. Then after I hit the turnaround I kept my eyes open for the runner behind me. I had my concentrated Tailwind at this point as well (about 58 min). I had a pretty sizeable gap on the runners behind me and felt reasonably confident they weren't going to catch me outside of a real breakdown. The runners come back at me were more spread out so it was easier to find "the best path" in the snow/ice, but honestly it was a struggle running through it.

Mile 10 - 6:59 - GAP 7:02
Finally at the Mile 9.1 mark I was done with the snow/ice. I turned on the jets and was starting to feel better. The caff gel was kicking in now. I was slowly reeling in the other guy ahead of me. I crossed over the small bridge for the last time and hit the 10 mile mark. I was 3.11 miles away and was still on target for something in the 1:32-1:33 range.

Mile 11 - 7:16 - GAP 7:15

I came back to the mesh point and the crowd recognized me as the "cup guy" as I ran past. I was really feeling it at this point. I just kept pushing and pushing. Not long after I passed the Mile 10.3 mark is when the HM leader passed me heading the other direction. He was really flying at this point. I don't remember much else other than I was starting to get gassed.

Mile 12 - 7:21 - GAP 7:21

Hit the turnaround point at Mile 11.6. Both the overall female and the other guy had opened a bigger gap on me. But at the same time I had a large gap on those behind me too. So I was solidly in my position at this point with little chance of catching or being caught. So now it was just me versus the clock.

Mile 13 - 7:25 - GAP 7:23
Home stretch! A spectator yelled that they liked my smile, which caused me to smile more. At this point it was just about making it to the finish. My body was aching all over. I hit the Mile 13.0 mark at 1:32:27 mark and knew I was doing well.

Mile 13.22 - 6:55 - GAP 6:59

I could see the finish ahead of me. Glanced back and didn't see any hard chargers, so I just glided into the finish!

View attachment 749042

Final Finish time - 1:33:55
Overall Place - 9th/132 (6.8%)
Gender Place - 8th/62 (12.9%)
AG Place - 3rd/10 (30%)

The top 3 finished in 1:15, 1:18, and 1:19. Officially I finished in 10th place, but there's a 45 yo female that probably ran the 10k and not the HM.

View attachment 749036

View attachment 749035

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my race effort. I definitely faded in the back half of the race. And I'll need to keep adding back my endurance, but the 3.2 miles of snow/ice definitely took something out of me. And the fact that this was my 3rd official fastest HM out of 21 attempts while running 25% of the course on snow/ice is a pretty good sign.

There wasn't an official award ceremony. Just on the honor system. I picked up my 3rd place AG and then made my way home.

View attachment 749037

So where does this place us in the season long prediction game?

1:32:59 - @JAMIESMITH
1:33:00 - G
1:33:31 - @MissLiss279
1:34:00 - Me
1:34:25 - @eminemilie
1:34:56 - @flav
1:35:22 - @Naomeri
1:35:50 - @azrivest
1:36:00 - @bovie
1:36:22 - @FFigawi
1:37:10 - @Jules76126

View attachment 749038

G still leads, but Dad is right behind her with potentially two races remaining in the Spring Season.
Great job in less than ideal conditions!

I may have to steal your fueling strategy with a Maurten gel ~40 minutes and Tailwind ~58. I think in my last HM (a PR) I did an E-Gel around mile 9 or 10 as it started to get a little harder/challenging.

Wow! So impressive! I can't imagine running on the snow/ice like that.

Do you always drink liquid IV race morning? It was a random Costco buy for us a few weeks ago and I haven't tried it yet.
I love Liquid IV and when I drink it the night before a run I feel really, really good on the run. Don't know if it's coincidence.

My only bone to pick is with the name: Aren't "regular" IV's, liquid? Did you ever see anybody get a solid IV? Or a gaseous IV? It should be called, like, "Oral IV" or something. "Potable IV". I don't know.

My only bone to pick is with the name: Aren't "regular" IV's, liquid? Did you ever see anybody get a solid IV? Or a gaseous IV? It should be called, like, "Oral IV" or something. "Potable IV". I don't know.
I know this is not the point of this thread, but I agree so much! Call it PO IV or something, just not that.

Amazing job as usual, Billy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter