To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Great race and recap! Two things really stand out to me in your excellent race this time compared with some of your other recent marathons. One, you stopped racing blind. Looking at your pace didn't send you into a mental tailspin if the numbers are not what you’re hoping for, as you have learned and did so well with this race. That’s a huge improvement in your mental game and your physical one too. Second, your weight is right about where it should be. You look very strong and healthy. In previous years, you seemed a bit strung out and way too lean. The extra muscle mass probably came in handy and kept you from tiring and fading in the last third of the race.

Great race and recap!

Thanks!

One, you stopped racing blind. Looking at your pace didn't send you into a mental tailspin if the numbers are not what you’re hoping for, as you have learned and did so well with this race. That’s a huge improvement in your mental game and your physical one too.

I think two things played a large role in making this possible.

1) Grade adjusted pacing. This concept has allowed me to break free of the idea of trying to hit a certain pace from beginning to end. It's given me an analytical approach to how fast my pace should be during a given mile given the grade conditions I'm facing. So when I see a +25 adjustment, and I run a +30 adjustment, it doesn't bother me because that's well within reason. But if I had a +30 second mile from goal pace before, it would have been a tough pill to swallow mid-race.

2) Not setting a hard goal. There's no question that pacing for a marathon is difficult. There's also no question that choosing a maximal effort goal marathon pace is a razor's edge. Given where my fitness was at, a past me might have set an ambitious hard goal. My fitness was better than Lakefront 2017, and Lakefront's goal was sub-3. So I could have gone into the Madison M expecting a sub-3 as well. Or even just the pace I trained near at the tail end (around a 3:07). But I've got enough marathon racing experience that I've learned to trust myself more. That's true in blind pacing, but now in combination with GAP is true with watching the pace as well. In that past, I wanted that pre-race goal time so bad I could set myself up for a worse performance because I could see nothing else other than that. But I continue to try and grow as a runner by using the experiences of my past.

There's no doubt. This was a major victory marathon all around. From a mental standpoint in how I dealt with the race experiences (the pace, the aid stations, being passed on uphills) and the physical aspect (very nice finish pace). I feel confident this has been a major step forward towards the ultimate goals.

Second, your weight is right about where it should be. You look very strong and healthy. In previous years, you seemed a bit strung out and way too lean. The extra muscle mass probably came in handy and kept you from tiring and fading in the last third of the race.

It's close. The goal was to lose the excess weight I've been carrying. I'd still like to get under 170, but I'm not really interested in getting below 160. I'd like to be somewhere in the 165-170 area. But I'd like to combine that with the weight lifting. Sort of like Madison 2019.

That was the goal pre-Madison 2021. Use the Madison training to lose some weight, and then use Princess to bring back in some weight lifting to build some strength back up. The weight probably played a role in my resiliency late in the race. I'd like to think that the shoes, the carb loading, the in-race carb consumption, and better pacing played a role as well,

I ask as well. The first time it wasn't clear until I was already grabbing it. The second time they only had Gatorade. And now that you mention it the reason I had to double back on the Mile 10 aid station was because the water/gatorade people were intermixed and I was handed gatorade. So I doubled back from water instead.
Ahhh that's unfortunate. I think sometimes they intermix them thinking it will be more convenient for the runners but it just makes it harder to find what I'm looking for.

Regarding crazylegs, it definitely is not a PR course. I just really enjoyed the race atmosphere. Of course, my nostalgia plays a big role in that. It's one of the few races that my husband and I ran together. Even though I insist that I don't mind running his pace, he always thinks he's holding me back so we haven't run a race together in several years. We've ran the same races, just vastly different paces and often different distances.

Love the recap and great job! You've made huge improvements in your discipline and your mental strength. I've never pacmanned people before until my last 3 races, but it's so satisfying!

Questions:
How did that 3:20 pace group end up doing? I assume many started dropping like flies based on the initial miles. I would be really mad at the pacer if I was in it.

How was that guy you passed at mile 20 loud? like breathing? Or just being obnoxious?

Love the recap and great job! You've made huge improvements in your discipline and your mental strength. I've never pacmanned people before until my last 3 races, but it's so satisfying!

Thanks! It was satisfying to have these same people pass me mid-race (mostly on hills) only to reel them in late in the race. There were only a few ghosts that I never caught.

How did that 3:20 pace group end up doing? I assume many started dropping like flies based on the initial miles. I would be really mad at the pacer if I was in it.

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 2.21.40 PM.png

They finished in 3:18:39. They should have been doing 7:38 min/mile pace. They were doing 7:23 min/mile pace through 15.9 miles (3:13 finish). They did 7:13 pace between the HM and 15.9 checkpoint. It wasn't until the end that they actually slowed down to 7:48-7:57 pace during the last six miles did they end up hitting near their finish time.

How was that guy you passed at mile 20 loud? like breathing? Or just being obnoxious?

Obnoxious. He kept yelling something at the spectators. He was overly boisterous. He just wasn't a joy to be around for some reason. It didn't feel as peaceful running near him.

2021 Madison Marathon Recap

2021 Madison Marathon Training Plan Thought Process
2021 Madison Marathon Prediction Game
2021 Madison Marathon Strategy
Final Weather Projection

Alright, where to begin, where to begin. Let's roll back to Summer/Fall 2018. I was training for the 2018 Chicago Marathon (link). It was the last time I would train at six days per week running. During the process of that training plan I developed ankle tendonitis and introduced some cycling late in the training to maintain some semblance of running fitness. After that training plan, I had decided that I was going to need to focus on other aspects of my fitness because my body wasn't tolerating six days per week running like it had used to. So I transitioned into run+cycle+strength. I dramatically increase the overall training volume going from 7-9 hrs per week to as much as 15-20 hrs per week. But ultimately this increased time commitment as a combination of run+cycle+strength did not pay off on my marathon performances (3:41, 3:35, and 3:29), nor did it keep me injury free (ankle issues, quad issues, knee issues). So it was after the 2021 Non-Cancelled Marathon in May that I decided I was going to go back to running six days per week. If I was training more often, and avoiding running as much, but getting worse results and still not staying injury free, then I might as well go back to running full time. I had to decide which training plan to follow, and ultimately settled on my original Hansons Intermediate training plan I used for Lakefront 2015 (my breakthrough 3:38 (and first sub-4) marathon). However, I'm faster now then I was then. Which means the mileage would be the same, but the amount of time I spent training would be down compared to that 2015 plan. Instead of 7:50 hrs per week average for the last 13 weeks, I'd be doing 6:52 hr per week average. And instead of peaking at 150 min three time at 16 miles max, instead I would be peaking around 120-130 min. So, in the past I could be accused of doing too much running or overtraining. But would doing slightly less be a good counter idea? I was ready to find out.

As recapped earlier, the training plan went well. I hit my pace goals throughout training with exception of the M Tempo. Which early on stuck around the 7:20-7:30 range. Then as the temps dropped, the pace dropped into the 7:05-7:15 range. Other than the M Tempo runs, everything else went to plan. I ran a 10k in 42:03 on Sept 26th under good racing conditions with a course that was semi-reflective of the Madison M course. According to VDOT, that 10k projected a 3:14 marathon finish. Most importantly, despite some small hiccups here and there, ultimately the training plan kept me healthy. I came into the race well trained and healthy giving myself a chance at something special. Not peak fitness, but in good shape.

In the run up to the race, the eyes were being kept on the weather forecast. The snow projections were fluctuating anywhere from nothing to as much as 3 inches. Ultimately on race day, it was a non-issue. There was minimal snow cover overnight that ultimately was gone by morning, and the snow that fell during the race was mostly minimal and never stuck.

The carb loading on Saturday went well. I did the Western Australian method with 50% from liquid and 50% from solid. The liquid source was Maurten 320 at 80g carbs per 17oz drink. For breakfast I had eggs/oatmeal/cherries/oranges (normal), for lunch I had rice/chicken, and for dinner I had a gnocchi dish. I ended up consuming just about 950g carbs which at my body weight of 175.8 pounds (79.7 kg) was 11.9 grams per kilogram body weight. Above the goal of 10.2 grams. As for the weight, this would be one of the heaviest marathons I've done thus far. 2021 Non-Cancelled was 186, Dopey 2014 was in the 190s from memory, Dopey 2015 was 186, and Madison 2015 was in the 180s as well. All those other marathons (other than 2021 Non-Cancelled) were >4hr finishes. So 175.8 would be around my fifth highest of the 16 marathons. All my top 6 times were at 167 pounds of less (with 5 at 160 or less).

I had done the Madison Marathon once prior in 2014. I finished in 4:20. I had also done the Madison HM once prior in 2019. I finished in 1:28:40 (my current PR).

Now after all the back story, let's get to race day!

I went to bed around 7:30pm, but I didn't fall asleep until past 9:30pm. The whole house was restless as G and Dizzy also refused to go to sleep. But ultimately everyone did. Around 3am my mother texted me a good luck wish, and I was like, oh no I'm awake now. I laid there until 3:30 thinking about how I was now unlikely to go back to sleep. And then at 4:15am my alarm went off, and I realized I ultimately did fall back asleep. I quick checked the weather and saw good news. Little to snow in the future forecast and the outside camera showed no snow had stuck to the ground. Golden! I headed to the kitchen and made a PB sandwich. I drank about 12oz of water and then made a 3oz liquid IV drink (I prefer the taste of it super concentrated). I also ate a banana. This was all before 4:30am following my standard protocol of nothing within 2 hours of the last time I reasonably believe I can use the restroom. I headed to the shower and got ready. I was still deciding between tank vs long sleeve. Because the temps were suppose to did down to a wind chill of 24, and because there was still a threat of some precipitation, I went with the very light long sleeve. Ultimately, the decision was made, and I wasn't going to second guess it until after the race was over. We finished our prep and got G in the car. We dropped her off at my SIL's house and then we were off to Madison around 5:35am.

It was a nice and easy car ride. We arrived at the underground parking around 6:00am. Got my stuff on, put on a nice winter jacket, pants, etc. and then headed towards the portas. I think it was around 6:20am when I used the portas. Then Steph and I just sauntered to the race area. Just relaxed and not in a rush at all. It was quite windy, and I felt happy about wearing a long sleeve instead of the tank with sock arm sleeves. Around 6:30am, I settled down and started doing my normal stretches. And around 6:40am, I realized I needed to use the porta again. So we headed back, waited in a short line, and then made our way back to the start line. It was a bit unusual for a second visit to the portas and after the 2hr window, but it was the right choice. It did put me a little behind the eight-ball in terms of getting to the start area on time. They were singing the national anthem around 6:52am while I was undressing my winter clothes, chugging my pre-race Maurten 320, and throwing all my gels/tailwind into my pockets. Steph was freaking out a little as I only had minutes to spare to get into the corrals, but I wasn't really all that worried. I got everything on, said goodbye to Steph, and headed into the starting area with about 3 min to spare. I weaved my way through the area and up towards the start line. I saw an old college buddy Christopher that I didn't know was running the race. He was going for 3:15-3:20, and I said maybe something around 3:07-3:10. We wished each other luck, and then soon enough the start horn went off and we were running.

Conditions - ☁ Overcast, Wind 12mph to 27mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 34°F + 28°F; FL - 26°F
End: Temp+Dew = 34°F + 28°F; FL - 26°F

Throughout the entire race I did keep an eye on pace. At no point during the race did I go blind to pace. I also had with me a small cheatsheet for grade adjusted pacing on the uphills. The goal was to find the pace my body wanted to run, and then adjust the uphill miles based on their GAP to whatever that feel right pace was.

Mile 1 - 7:10 min/mile - 7:09 GAP

The race starts off with a moderate uphill, and then a fairly sizable downhill. I didn't want to bomb the race early, and so I just coasted up the start hill and then settled in on the downhill. Before I even reach the top of the first hill then 3:20 pace group (7:35 min/mile) passed me. As we started heading down the hill things started to settle in for everyone. I then had an immediate "oh ****" moment as I realized my shorts weren't handling the weight of all the items very well while running. I thought I had tied the waist band tight enough, but maybe not? I was fully ready to full moon everyone as it felt like my shorts would fall off. Ultimately, they did not. Through much of the first mile I was running lock step with the 3:20 pace group. And maybe a younger me would have freaked out at that prospect. Because I did want to run faster than a 3:20 finish. But each time I looked at my watch I saw paces in the 7:10-7:20 area for lap pace. So I suspected the 3:20 pace group was going out at suicide pace and not 3:20 pace. Just before the end of the first mile and the first aid station I was just a hair ahead of the 3:20 group. But I was off to the left of the group, and the aid station was off to the right. I had no chance to cut everyone off, so instead I made a tactical decision and slowed WAY down in order to scoot behind the 3:20 group to be able to get some water. I had just consumed 17oz of Maurten only 20 min prior, so I probably didn't need water at this point, but I also knew that my carb consumption strategy depended on getting in some water at each station. So I sacrificed some time in order to stay on track. I saw the 7:10 split on my watch and was pretty pleased with it.

Mile 2 - 7:18 min/mile - 7:17 GAP

Best I can tell from the pace output the first aid station debacle cost my about 20-30 seconds between slowing way down, getting a cup, and then getting back moving again. The rest of mile 2 was about getting back into my groove and not forcing a pace to chase the 3:20 pace group. They'll do their thing, and I'll do mine. At the end of the day, I didn't think they were running 3:20 pace anyways. A few times I looked down at my watch and saw 7:40s average pace, but knew that was a function of the 1st aid station debacle and so I stayed calm. I approached the second aid station while still behind the 3:20 pace group and grabbed a cup. Ugh... gatorade. I was off to a rough start with these aid stations. I drank a small sip and then threw the rest out. I need water, not gatorade. I continued on my way. We enter the arboretum. This was the same section that I did for the Sept 10k, but just in reverse. Around the 2 mile mark is when I pulled up along side the 3:20 pace group and then ultimately passed them. Hoping to put them in my rear view mirror for good. Remember, they're suppose to be doing 7:35 pace, and threw the first two miles we had done like 7:14 pace. In fact my 2 mile official split was 14:42. So even that was 7:21 pace and no where close to 7:35. They were nearly 30 seconds ahead of pace at that point.

Mile 3 - 7:12 min/mile - 7:07 GAP

And so the real race within the race begins. The third mile was the first I had marked for a GAP adjustment. I had it down as a +5. Which it did end up being. My approach to the race was "patience". The Madison Marathon is a set of rolling hills. Each time you think you're done with the hills, you get more hills. There are actually very few sections of the race where you're not doing an either uphill or downhill. And that continues until pretty much Mile 22. Which means this race forces you to have patience. If you don't, the hills will chew you up and spit you out. So whenever a hill came up, my approach was to simply glide up it. Little to no effort. In fact I gave less effort on the uphills then I did on the flat sections. I was taking a really conservative approach. And with that approach came scores of other runners passing me on the uphills. But I didn't worry myself with their pace or their approach to the race. Ultimately our final times would determine who had the right approach. The race was starting to thin out a little, but there still felt like a decent amount of people around me. During this mile we hit our third aid station, and wouldn't you believe it the 3:20 pace group was coming screaming up behind me and jumbled it all up again. A younger less wise me would have let this completely derail my race. I wanted to cups per aid station. I got 2 at the first, none at the second (gatorade), and one at the third as the 3:20 groups swallowed me up. This group of people was really cramping my style. But I just went with the flow. I'll handle this situation. Not everything will go to plan, and I will be fine.

Mile 4 - 7:19 min/mile - 7:07 GAP

Time for some more hills. This was projected at +11 (and appears to have been +12). I had several runners blow past me. I remember one runner because he was extra loud, wearing a headband, and blue shirt. He passed me here at Mile 4. Based on our splits, he stayed ahead of me until at least Mile 20. I passed him between Mile 20 and the finish line, and from memory, he wasn't nearly as loud at that point anymore. He finished in 3:19. Other than that, I don't remember much specifics about this mile. It was still in the arb, and we were doing hills as I was getting passed.

Mile 5 - 7:13 min/mile - 7:09 GAP

Still in the arb, and still running the hills. It was around this time, that I realized that my body was liking something around 7:10-7:15 GAP. So moving forward, I had decided this would be my basis for adjustments and something to aim for during non-adjusted miles. We exited the arb and made our way onto the neighborhood streets of Madison. The exit from the arb is a decent uphill, and then we ran by a golf course that has a decent downhill which allowed me to open up the legs a bit more. Looks like I did 6:30s down the hill.

Mile 6 - 7:03 min/mile - 7:04 GAP

Ultimately a good mile. This was the first mile that was neither uphill or downhill. It was actually one of the only miles all race like this. And as soon as that happened my legs settled into my training M Tempo pace of 7:03. The pace felt good in the moment, but I knew it wasn't going to stay that way as Mile 7 was another pre-marked mile for GAP adjustment. There was an aid station within this mile, and from memory there were tons less people around. So I was able to easily grab two cups and chug them down.

Mile 7 - 7:27 min/mile - 7:15 GAP

Another aid station occurred right after the Mile 6 marker. Before I got there, I had my first in-race nutrition. A swig from my concentrated Tailwind. And it tasted glorious. Afterwards, I believe this is the aid station where I tried to grab a cup but they only were handing out gatorade again. Pretty sure I said an expletive to myself, and then moved on. I hit the 10k mark at 44:54 officially. So that's a 7:13 min/mile after doing a 7:21 min/mile through the first two. I had this mile with a GAP of +14 and it ended up as +12. A younger less wise me would have seen a 7:27 after a 7:03 mile and been really concerned. But not this old seasoned vet. Patience. Trust the process. Just glide up the hills and let others pass you. Around this time I pulled even with orange jacket. But when we hit one of the bigger hills, orange jacket and I believe orange hat guy both passed me. Don't worry though. We'll see them again. See ya Blinky and Pinky!

Mile 8 - 7:14 min/mile - 7:12 GAP

We got on the bike path for about a half mile or so. The path was nice. No camber. Paved. A nice slight downhill. The legs enjoyed this section of the course. At one point during this mile I looked down and saw 6:50s. I was like, oh cool, that's nice. Not a positive or negative reaction, but rather just an acknowledgment that that's what it was. And that's my body wanted to do in the moment. We turned off the bike path and headed towards the UW football stadium (Camp Randall). Nothing special outside of the stadium. Feels like they could do something cool there. I got passed by "Alan" here. I only knew his name because someone read it off his bib and shouted it as he ran by me. I looked down and realized I didn't have my name on the bib, possibly a by-product of signing up late. So at that moment someone said "go 1121" instead. Don't worry "Alan" we'll be seeing each other again.

Mile 9 - 7:11 min/mile - 7:15 GAP

As I entered this mile, I could see the next aid station in the distance. I was a tad ahead of time on my Maurten caff gel, but I thought it better to consume it before the aid station with water than after. But as I pulled it out of my pocket, the aid station got closer and closer. Time was running out. So I quickly slammed the gel with only moments to spare before I was grabbing some cups of water to drink. I think it was around this time that I walked a little to drink the water and was passed by multi-color jacket, grey shirt, and headphones girl. Multi-color jacket and grey shirt were with the 3:20 pace group based on pictures. As they passed me they were talking about pace and saying something about 7:20s. I didn't catch the whole convo, though that was close to the pace we were running. But they quickly got ahead of me. Don't worry, we'll see them again. Towards the end of the mile, a young girl came up alongside me and asked me about my headphones. She wondered whether I liked the aftershox and I told her they were well worth it. Case in point, I'm still listening to music right now, and conversing with you. She thanked me for the review and went about her way. She was moving really well. Nice and smooth. I did not see her again, and had a feeling I wouldn't.

View attachment 623039

You can just see a bit of her here. She finished in 3:06. Well done #82. I did not catch you.

Mile 10 - 7:34 min/mile - 7:16 GAP

This mile was highlighted in my GAP adjustments because it was supremely tough. I also remember it from 2014. This is when things fell apart for me then because I took this fairly aggressively. But thi time out, I just took my time and really focused on an easy effort. I was expecting a GAP of +17, and got a +18. The uphill was extreme, but the downhill was no help because it was even more extreme. I was really glad in this moment that it wasn't slippery. Because both the up and the down of this mile would have been extremely challenging. The down actually hurt a little. I'm pretty sure this is where camo hat and white shirt passed me. Don't worry we'll see him again. I hit the 10 mile marker on the course at 1:13, and knew that meant my average was around a 7:18 min/mile officially speaking. I was pleased with the effort. I think there was an aid station here as well at the tail end of the mile. From memory, this is the one where I missed grabbing the cup, slowed down, turned around and grabbed it again. Saw lost a touch of time here, but getting water was more important.

Mile 11 - 7:12 min/mile - 7:07 GAP

We were now heading through downtown Madison on the main road. It was during this mile that I had my third nutrition (Egel this time). I also got passed by another young girl. I would not see her again. So kudos #937. She finished in 3:12.

Mile 12 - 7:16 min/mile - 7:16 GAP

The GAP of this mile was even, but it was far from even elevation grade. It was either constant uphill or downhill throughout the mile. Just constantly a challenge. Slow on the ups, and controlled on the downs. I think this is where me and blue shirt/white hat would start jockeying with each other. He would pass me on the ups, and I would pass him on the downs. We did this back and forth for a while.

Mile 13 - 7:14 min/mile - 7:14 GAP

As we started to turn north is when the wind became more noticeable. As the race morning progressed, the wind was suppose to become stronger. And it was fulfilling that forecast. So as we headed north for the next 4.5 miles, it was about picking and choosing your battles. On the bright side, this was only the second mile thus far that was actually flat! Hooray. I also found orange jacket from Mile 7. I ultimately passed him and left him in the dust. Here we are just after I passed him.

View attachment 623044

I was still feeling strong and liking where my legs were at. He finished in 3:32.

Mile 14 - 7:21 min/mile - 7:19 GAP

Another flat mile. Hooray! Got to enjoy these while they last, because they're not going to last. I crossed the official HM mark in 1:35:15 which is interesting because I remember looking at my watch when I crossed and seeing 1:34:30. So now I wonder if I got mixed up and was using the 13 mile marker. Regardless at that point, I thought to myself, alright a 3:09 pace through the first half. Well done sir. A 1:34:30 would be my 4th fastest HM (of 19 total), and technically the third fastest was during my 2017 Lakefront M at 1:33. But it was 1:35:15 in reality which was my fifth fastest HM. So that was 3:10:30 pace (7:16 pace). I'm pleased with that. I stayed patient through the first half. My body still felt good. Not fresh as a daisy, but not lagging in the least. Up ahead I could see blue shirt/white hat from Mile 12, and he had joined up with orange hat from Mile 7. I was hot on their trails. We got a little bit of snow during this mile, but it was short lived. Ultimately, there was a slight slowing in pace. And I was a little surprised since I felt like I was giving a good effort. The beginning of a fade perhaps? Do I increase the effort? No. I stay the course. I've still got harder miles to come and I can't empty the tank now chasing something that might not happen for me.

View attachment 623087

Mile 15 - 7:20 min/mile - 7:20 GAP

So much for the two flat miles. Back to the hill grind! I'm pretty sure it was this mile that I pulled up behind orange hat guy and white shirt guy. The blue shirt/white hat guy had left them. Since we were running into the wind, I kind of tucked behind the two of them as we went along. We were actually starting to catch the back end of the HM runners now still on the course. Although the M and HM would diverge again later in the course. I think I had my fourth nutrition during this mile (second drink of Tailwind concentrate).

Mile 16 - 7:28 min/mile - 7:20 GAP

After getting back into the hill grind, we were back into the GAP adjusted miles. I was entering phase 3 of the marathon. Hills, then sort of flat, and then hills. I was aiming for a +9 and it was a +8 in reality. Although by this time I was becoming less concerned with my pace. I was just accepting it was and trying to maintain an even effort. Plus, some precipitation had gotten on my GAP band which made it difficult to discern what the adjustments were suppose to be at this point. Regardless, I was sticking with orange hat guy and white shirt guy. I continued to allow them to stay in front of me, and as we hit the hills they would pull away a bit as they were being more aggressive on the hills than I was. But then I'd slowly reel them back in. We had to dodge some HM runners and so we had to make our way into traffic. I checked behind us and gave the group the all clear to move into traffic. Then we merged back over as soon as we passed the HM'ers. So maybe I wasn't cutting the wind, but I was keeping us safe.

Mile 17 - 7:30 min/mile - 7:21 GAP

More uphills. The GAP was actually fairly even here. 7:19, 7:20, 7:20, and 7:21. Not bad at all. Based on the timing, this is when I would have had my second Maurten caff gel (around 2 hrs). I also noticed that white shirt's right show was untied. So I yelled up to him that his shoe was untied, but he didn't even acknowledge me. Whatevs. Here's a picture of us from around that time. You can see white's shoe is untied.

View attachment 623053

We also passed "Alan" from Mile 8. Alan finished in 3:39. So he faded pretty badly at the end.

Mile 18 - 7:36 min/mile - 7:38 GAP

This was a fun mile because the course doubles back on itself for a short while. So you can see all the runners fairly far ahead of you. The effort was getting harder. And I could also tell my right shin was starting to feel more sore. Around the spot of my extra bone growth. Kind of like Lakefront 2016. But as long as I keep moving, I'm good. I believe it snowed again here. Still with my two guys.

Mile 19 - 7:31 min/mile - 7:20 GAP

As we did some rounds in a neighborhood, it was snowing some, and I got some water. Based on the timing (135 min) I would have had my second Egel during this mile as well. The effort was becoming more noticeable. As we started to exit the neighborhood I saw a familiar face from the start line. A young girl in green it was between me and Christopher. I remember she said something at the start, but I didn't clearly hear her then. But as I was pulling up along side her, she clearly wanted to chat. She asked how I was feeling, and I said all things consider pretty good. Asked her about herself and she said she was struggling. She went out too aggressive on pace. Said that can happen in a marathon. Asked her how many she's done, and this was her second. I said this my "six" and she said how sixth that's a lot. And I said no, sixteen! Lol. She was like, ahh maybe that's why you feel so good. Bet you paced better than I did. I said I followed GAP. Told her to look into it.

Mile 20 - 7:27 min/mile - 7:26 GAP

Also said I've done Dopey before. She said her mom had done Disney HM. Explained Dopey to her. She said it sounded like fun. Then we talked about my daughter doing the 5k. It was around this time that I was starting to pull away from her. She was trying to keep up, but I was still feeling good. So she wished me well and said she didn't want to hold me back. I looked down and we were doing a sub-7 mile. So no wonder things got too aggressive for her. Ultimately that was a really good experience for me. It had gotten my mind off the racing for bit and we were just chatting. So thanks #974. You helped me more than you'll even know. She finished in 3:21. It was after this, that I paused mentally for a second and realized. I'm at Mile 19. I'm at the place where I traditionally suffer a major fade. And yet, I feel alright right now. I did a 7:36 and 7:31 in the previous miles, but the 7:31 was a 7:20 GAP. And that's when I realized, maybe I'm going to be ok this time around. Maybe that strategy of patience was going to pay off. That's when I left orange hat as well. He finished in 3:25.

Mile 21 - 7:32 min/mile - 7:25 GAP

I was sore. I was tired. But I was doing alright. I crossed 20 miles at 2:27:17 (7:22 pace) which was still under PR pace. I did some mental math and determined that I needed to do the remaining 10k somewhere around 7:30 pace to be in the 3:14-3:15 window. I was motivated and determined to make it happen. So I set off just focusing on the moment. I reentered the park and could see the runners at Mile 16 (5 miles behind me) and there were lots of people. I got joined by a new runner. But I've got no pics with him so don't know how he did. We ran together for most of this mile until the uphill started and then he left me. I'm 99% positive I passed him somewhere around Mile 24-25. I knew Mile 22 was the doozy. So I just kept holding back.

Mile 22 - 7:59 min/mile - 7:32 GAP

A lesser me would have been crushed by this mile. The hills were intense. The pace slowed greatly. But I took it all in stride. But despite my slow pace relative to my own self, I was passing quite a few people walking up the hill. People I had never seen before who likely left me in Mile 1. It was a great feeling to climb this "mountain" at a slow effort and be putting people behind me. I was Pac-Manning my way to the finish line. As soon as I finished Mile 22, then the real race began. No more holding back. No more patience. Now it's time to finish this marathon off with a strong finish.

Mile 23 - 7:17 min/mile - 7:29 GAP

I bombed down the hill. I was still sore and tired, but I knew I could do great things. I saw the 7:17 mile and was ecstatic. I knew it was a downhill, but still, a 7:17 at this point in the race is great no matter how it comes.

View attachment 623086

Mile 24 - 7:30 min/mile - 7:28 GAP

Everytime I hit the end of a mile, I try and do some mental math. How close to a PR. How close to a second fastest. You only have to run for 30 more min, or 20 more min, or 10 more min. You can do this. You ARE doing this. I kept gobbling up runners I had never seen before. HM runners as well. I was a man on a mission at this point.

Mile 25 - 7:33 min/mile - 7:33 GAP

This is it. This is when I turned down Mifflin Street and could see the capital and thus the finish line in the distance. Just keep going. I passed many runners from earlier in the race. I passed multi-color jacket and headphone girl from Mile 9. I passed white shirt from Mile 21. I even passed the loud guy from Mile 4. Chomp... Chomp.... Chomp... I would not be denied. I knew a PR might not happen, but I wasn't about to let this race slip through my hands.

Mile 26 - 7:53 min/mile - 7:40 GAP

It was one last uphill finish that I had been practicing for. My legs were doing their thing carrying me up the hill. No more being conservative and patience anymore. Now it was time to empty the tank. I didn't go full tilt because I realized a PR was out of reach, but I was putting in a good effort.

Mile 26.35 - 7:48 min/mile - 7:33 GAP

It was just a matter of climbing State Street and then I would finish. I saw Steph. I saw the finish line. And then... it was done. A 3:15:13! Second fastest marathon ever. The furthest I went in training was 2:09. The most duration in a single week was 7:55 hrs. My fifth heaviest body weight of sixteen marathons, and yet here I stand with a second fastest time of 3:15:13. I was very very very happy with myself.
View attachment 623082

View attachment 623083

View attachment 623084

View attachment 623085

Stats

Final time - 3:15:13 (second fastest)
Overall - 85/1018 (8%)
Gender - 76/642 (11%)
Age/Gender - 17/87 (19%)

Afterwards, I hobbled through the finish line. My right leg was pretty sore in the Lakefront 2016 spot. Not I need a wheelchair sore, but sore. I was also pretty cold. So Steph and I made the trek through the downtown and towards home.

I've run out of space to add more pictures, but I've got some analysis ideas to add in here. Suffice to say, I'm very happy with the performance. And when I get a chance I'll do an analytical dive into the race performance itself. Thanks for reading!

Data in review link
Great result well done on your efforts 👍

Obnoxious. He kept yelling something at the spectators. He was overly boisterous. He just wasn't a joy to be around for some reason. It didn't feel as peaceful running near him.

I have been in races where there was someone nearby that just rankled me for similar reasons. I have to tell myself not to speed up to get rid of them because that is not "running my race"--but it can be awfully tempting!

2021 Madison Marathon Prediction Game Results

2021 Madison Marathon Prediction Game

Before I move on to the 2022 Princess Weekend training, I need to wrap up one last part of the 2021 Madison Marathon, the prediction game! Here were the guesses:

Guesses

2:59:00 - @SarahDisney
3:03:21 - Mom
3:04:47 - @SheHulk
3:05:26 - @MissLiss279
3:05:40 - @HangWithMerida
3:05:45 - @TeeterTots
3:06:31 - @michigandergirl
3:07:45 - @azrivest
3:08:12 - @JAMIESMITH
3:09:00 - Gigi
3:09:16 - @FFigawi
3:12:31 - @steph0808
3:12:34 - @flav
3:13:13 - @Kerry1957
3:13:42 - @jmasgat
3:17:33 - @Naomeri
3:18:22 - @shellott-hill
3:23:07 - @Herding_Cats

The rules of the game were "Price is Right" style. Which meant you couldn't guess slower than the actual official race time and still win. So the official time was 3:15:13. So that means @jmasgat is our big winner! She was off by 91 seconds. Well done. Even if it weren't "Price is Right" rules she still would have beaten @Naomeri who was our next closest guesser at 140 seconds off. Just send me a PM with your email address @jmasgat and I can send you your prize.

2022 Princess Weekend: 5k, 10k, and HM Training Plan

Well as the recovery wraps up from the 2021 Madison Marathon, it's time to look forward to the 2022 Princess Weekend. This will be my first time participating in the runDisney Princess weekend. I've done Marathon Weekend in January six separate times (Dopey Challenge in 2014-2018 and the Marathon in 2020). So it'll be interesting to compare this weekend's experience. Additionally, I'll be joined by Gigi for her first 5k. As you all know, we've been training hard together and she's excited to take on the challenge of the 5k. So with all of that, it was time to sit down with Excel and sketch out what I'd like to accomplish in the next training plan.

Goals

In a little different bit of methodology, I sat down to determine first what my goals were going to be for Princess Weekend. Because those goals would dictate how I'd want to tailor my training.

-Make it to race weekend healthy.
-Enjoy the 5k with Gigi.
-Wear full costumes for the first time in a runDisney race. We still plan on wearing our Scarlet Witch and Vision costumes.
-Finish Top 3 overall in the 10k.
-Put in a good effort during the HM. Maybe aim for sub-90 again.

I think the first three are a given as to goals I'd like to accomplish. It's #4 that will truly drive the training plan decisions. I want to put myself physically in a place to finish Top 3 during the 10k and the performance there is more important to me than the HM. Originally the goal was a Top 3 AG placement. But then runDisney changed their awards policy and dropped the AG awards. So now the only way to get an award is to finish Top 3. It's an ambitious goal, and one I'm way more likely to fail at than succeed at. But all I'm asking is for a chance. So in order to determine what a Top 3 finish looks like at Princess Weekend, I evaluated past results.

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.30.54 AM.png

So the Top 3 overall 10k finishers have done it in 37:41, 39:30, 38:41, 40:00, 40:47, and 40:09 in the past six years. My PR is 39:54. So half the time, it's at least feasible. Although the trend in the last three years is a quicker and quicker finish. Regardless, all I can control on race day is my own performance, and that'll come from my training.

Pace

I'll continue to train where I am rather than where I want to be. I still feel like this is representative of what I'm capable of in the shorter distances.

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.34.02 AM.png

Training Methodology

So there were 15 weeks between the 2021 Madison Marathon and the 2022 Princess Weekend races. I took the first week completely off. No running, and no lifting. Just to let me body relax after several months of good hard training, and allow the training load to drop so I have room to go up again and peak at Princess. Additionally, it took a few days for my right leg to feel normal again. During the normal daily life, I'd say it's 99% right now. But last night's run I'd put it in the "uncomfortable" category. It's worse than "noticeable" and not as bad as "painful". So it'll be something to keep an eye on moving forward. However, it is something I've dealt with before. With that being said, things could change in the plan as written as it progresses and I get an idea of where I'm at. I know that I need to stay patient with my body as the data has shown in the past it's going to take a month or more to feel normal again (How long does it take for me to recover from a marathon?).

So after a week off, that leaves me with a 14 week training plan. The first week will be completely easy and just trying to get back into the groove of things. I'm going to take the down time in running training to try and reintroduce LIIFT4 into the routine. At this time, I've settled on doing the three upper body workouts sans the HIIT component on Tues/Thurs/Sat. I'll end up having to do them in the morning, which means going back to a 4:15-4:30am wake up call. We'll see if I can get back into that groove.

After rest/recovery weeks, it was about determining what type of workouts I wanted to introduce into the training plan. The last training cycle (Hansons Intermediate) focused a ton on M Tempo. Between the Strength (M Tempo - 10 seconds) and M Tempo continuous workouts. There was some speed work early in the plan that focuses on 5k pacing. So in order to elicit a different response this time around, and to make it more focused on my 10k goal, the training would focus more in that area of the pace spectrum. The bulk of this training plan would be VO2max (6:00-6:10) and Lactate Threshold (6:35-6:45) pacing which bracket my 10k pace (6:27). A more Daniels-esque twist and similar to my Dopey 2018 training plan (link).

So lots of Daniels R pace (mile), Daniels I pace (3k), Daniels T pace (60 min race pace). But unlike the Dopey 2018 plan which focused on those things plus M Tempo, I'm not doing a ton of M Tempo for Princess. Instead, I'm doing a little 5k pacing with the hopes that I can make my current 5k pace more like my future 10k pace. Some Progression workouts since it's been a while on those. Those will be 14 milers with 10 miles of Progression in between capping off at M Tempo, HM, and 10k pace.

And lastly, for something new, I've found a bevy of new McMillan based 10k specific workouts. I'm excited to try out something new. I've got a few people working through these workouts and the responses thus far have been mixed.

Rat-a-tat
3 mile WU + 16 sets of (400m @ 10k + 15 sec RI) + 1.5 mile CD

This one seems really tough. The duration of 10k pace is short, but man 15 sec RI feels insanely short. Per the instructions I found earlier, but am unable to find now, the last four reps should be very very challenging.

VIGIL
1.5 mile WU + 6 x 1 mile @ 10k w/ 3 min RI + 1.5 mile CD

Per McMillan (link), this workout is a good test of your current capabilities. There is another at 3x2 miles, but I'm going to shy away from that more maximum level test.

Fast, Steady, Blast

1 mile WU + 1500m @ 5k+10-20 sec + 3 min RI + 40 min Progression starting at 90s slower than 5k working to 20s slower than 5k for last 5 min (7:40, 7:25, 7:10, 6:55, 6:45, 6:30 for 5 min) + 3 min RI + 2x300m at Mile w/ 3 min RI + 1 mile CD

Per McMillan (link), this workout is all about putting junk in the legs with the early 1500m at 10k, and then working your way through it. So it's got a little bit of everything in it. A speedy portion with the 10k stuff. Then a 40 min Progression working from LR pace, to M Tempo, to HM Tempo, to slightly slower than 10k pace), and then punching the end with a hard kick at Mile pace. Looks like fun to me.

Lumberjack

1 mile WU + 4x400m @ 5k w/ RI at 3:30 min total interval + 10 min at 30k pace + 3 min RI + 4x400m @ 5k w/ RI at 3:30 min total interval + 10 min at 30k pace + 3 min RI + 4x400m @ 5k w/ RI at 3:30 min total interval + 1 mile CD

Per McMillan (link), this is a race simulator workout. You come out the gate hard. You settle into a pace. And then you have surges throughout the race to cover other people's moves. And each time you've got a gut check as to whether you can truly pick up the pace again. More fun!

Descending Special K

1.5 mile WU + 2 sets of (1km HMT + 1 min RI + 1km 10k + 2 min RI + 1km 5k + 3 min RI) + 1.5 mile CD

Can't find the link description of this one at the moment either (Found it). But it was a progression workout built around 1km reps instead of 1 mile reps. And as the reps get progressively faster, the rest gets progressively longer. I believe this workout is intended to be 3-4 sets, but I did 2 sets because I've put this one 8 days away from the race. So an injection of speed to maintain fitness, but at a slightly lower volume because not many gains are going to be realized by race day.

Now it's important to remember, the bulk of this training plan will be undertaken during Wisconsin winter. December, January, and February are unkind days to be training in WI. But this winter's training is different than in year's past because I do have access to a nice treadmill at home. So if I'm truly forced to, I can get on that instead and attempt these workouts. But I'd really like to be outside for these if I can as it'll be more fruitful.

"B" Races

In another change from my normal, I have two "B" race sketched into the training plan to work on 10k effort. I don't have a ton of experience racing 10ks. In my 9.5 years and 14,000 running miles, I've done eight 10ks so far. So with the goal of competing at Princess, I really wanted to hone in on the 10k race effort and strategy for the race. All I remember is that in the 10k during Dopey 2018 I ran with reckless abandonment and did a PR of 39:54. So with these two "B" races I can really just hone in on the correct effort level. Plus it'll be cold and a good challenge for me. The runners that typically attend these mid-winter 10ks are quite quick (as low as 34 min 10k'ers). With that being said, neither fall on a great day. There is one on New Year's eve (a Friday) that Steph likely has to work, and the other is on Feb 13th (which may or may not be the weekend we do a birthday party for G). So I haven't signed up for these and they're written in pencil. There was a third one as a possibility in mid-January, but it really messes up the flow of the training plan towards Princess. So that's more of a Plan C race for me for now.

I may bump up the peak volume a touch. Trying to get closer to that 150 min max run (19 miles) and something in the 8.5 hr range (63 miles) for the peak. But overall, the volume of this training plan for the last 13 weeks is in line with what I recently accomplished during the Madison M, if not a little less. So I definitely think it's manageable. But I'll adjust downwards if I'm finding my body isn't agreeing with the training. Being flexible with intensity/pace and dropping hard workouts if needed is important during the variable winter conditions.

Lastly, I'll continue to sprinkle in the workouts with G on my easy days. We'll continue to do 30/30 since she has shown she tolerates that the best. When the temps drop too cold, then we'll have to adjust our strategy some. I think she's shown she's capable of doing a 5k since we've been able to easily do 1.5 miles. So I'm not concerned if things get a bit more haphazard towards the end. The 5k is all about enjoying the experience between us.

So that's where I'm at mentally with the training plan for the 2022 Princess Weekend. I'm excited for this one mainly because of all of the new types of 10k specific workouts I found from McMillan. It's nice to change things up and find something new/interesting every once in a while. I look at these new workouts more as sharpening the sword and getting race ready, then building new fitness levels per se. It's going to be fun!

Last edited:
One of the good things about Princess is that it uses the same courses as Marathon Weekend, so you'll be running on (approximately) the same course where you set your PR. So hopefully that helps.

Sounds like a lot of interesting new workouts in there - I'm looking forward to reading about how all of these work out for you!

13 Weeks to go - 2022 Princess Challenge Training - Week 1/14

11/22/21 - M - OFF
11/23/21 - T - 30 min @ Easy + LIIFT4-Chest/Tri
11/24/21 - W - 30 min @ Easy
11/25/21 - R - 4 miles @ Easy
11/26/21 - F - 5 miles @ Easy + LIIFT4-Back/Biceps
11/27/21 - Sa - 30 min @ Easy (Treadmill)
11/28/21 - Su - 8 miles @ Easy (Treadmill) + LIIFT4-Shoulders

Total Run Miles - 26.7 miles
Total Run Time - 3:57 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 0:00 hours
Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Strength Time - 1:10 hours
Total Strength TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 5:08 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

After 8 days off from training, it was time to get back into things. I anticipated some very slow running in my future. Plus, my running stats weren't going to be very good for a month or so.

Conditions - ☁️ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 16mph to 29mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 17°F; FL - 28°F
End: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 17°F; FL - 28°F

The body didn't feel great during this. My right shin was pretty sore in the same location as Lakefront 2016 where I think I've got extra bone growth. But I've been through this before and it usually calms down eventually. Over the course of the run, the pain became more bilateral which I thought was a good sign since having stress fractures in both legs would be quite the achievement. So I thought it was more likely that my body was still in rough shape after the marathon. While I had 4 miles scheduled, I ended up doing 30 min, 3.3 miles, 9:30 pace, and HR of 129 because that's what felt right based on the signs my body was sending.

I headed back inside and restarted LIIFT4 with a chest/tri workout. The chest/tri are my favorite. I don't do the HIIT or core components and just do the lifting portions. I was doing less weight than earlier this year, but it was a bit of a struggle. I could tell it's been a while.

Wednesday

G had a cold again, so co-running was out.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 9mph to 20mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 46°F + 36°F; FL - 41°F
End: Temp+Dew = 45°F + 37°F; FL - 41°F

As bad as Tuesday felt, Wednesday was worse. I did question whether it was wise to continue. But as the run progressed the pain lessened. Still bilateral. I was scheduled for 5 miles, but I did 30 min, 3.3 miles, 9:36 pace, and HR of 132. The body is still in rough shape and I'm not rushing the comeback.

My arms were crazy sore from the LIIFT workout. Like they always talk about how washing your hair is difficult because you have to lift your arms over your head, and I've never experienced that problem since lifting started in Fall 2018. But I was there today despite having done LIIFT4 a few times before.

Thursday

Conditions - 🌨 Snow, Wind 16mph to 27mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 32°F + 29°F; FL - 21°F
End: Temp+Dew = 31°F + 28°F; FL - 21°F

A beautiful snowy Thanksgiving morning. I actually came across an impromptu Turkey Trot in my neighborhood on the same normal route. Nobody told me about it though. I was hitting the tail end of the race. Turns out my BIL did it but forgot to mention it was even happening. Regardless, I was in no shape to be running it anyways. The body felt better, and over the course of the run the pain decreased, but it was still noticeable. I switched to the Saucony Endrophin Speed and think that helped some. I think the injury is from a lack of toe off during my marathon. A lot of flat foot running. Just a guess. The Speeds helped because they force some toe off unlike the Ride 13s. I was scheduled for 5 miles, and ended up at 4 miles, 35 min, 8:46 pace, and HR of 137.

I was suppose to do LIIFT4 afterwards, but my arms were still incredibly sore. So I pushed it.

Friday

Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 8mph to 14mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 26°F + 6°F; FL - 18°F
End: Temp+Dew = 25°F + 6°F; FL - 18°F

First time I had to break out a pair of pants. It was a chilly evening run. Wore the Speeds again. Same as the day prior. Hurt to start, but things got progressively better. As the PT told me once before, a stress fracture is unlikely to feel better over the course of the run. So still confident that's not the issue. Just a sore bone/muscle connection in that area of extra bone growth. I was scheduled for 7 miles and I did 5 miles, 44 min, 8:50 pace, and HR of 135.

Afterwards, I did the LIIFT4-Back/Biceps workout. My arms were willing to move again. I went a little lighter on the weights to reintroduce the strength workouts a little more gently.

Saturday

The body was still sore, so I thought, why not try the treadmill and see if I get the same response. The answer is pretty much no. With as much as the legs hurt running outside on the cambered roads, there wasn't nearly as much issues running on the treadmill. If it was a 2 out of 3 outside, then it was a definite 1 inside. Not 0, but not a 2 either. I was scheduled for 5 miles and I ended up doing 3.5 miles, 30 min, 8:34 pace, and HR of 122. From memory the watch overestimated pace and I was probably closer to 8:45-9:00.

Sunday

Decided to go with the treadmill again. I was scheduled for nine miles, but since everything else had been cut shorter, then I did so here too. It was my longest treadmill workout to date at 8 miles, 66 min, 8:18 pace, and HR of 136. For the most part, it felt fine. Far easier to run on the treadmill than outside. The conditions were fine to run outside both Saturday/Sunday, but clearly the treadmill was helping not aggravate whatever issue was going on in that area of the leg. I plan to try and run outside on Tuesday to see how it compares.

Afterwards, I did the LIIFT4-Shoulders workout. I always like myself a shoulders day. It's really just the bicep workouts that I don't like. Always hurts the inside of my elbow on the side furtherest from my body.

In all I was suppose to do 35 miles (5 hrs) and ended up doing about 27 miles (4 hrs) instead. I think that was the right decision and based on time still represents 50% of my previous peak. So plenty of volume for a recovery/comeback week. I'll continue to play the training by ear. I had planned a interval HM workout for Tuesday, but I'm not sure I'm ready yet. I may go running outside, feel the WU, and then just stay in the WU if my body doesn't feel ready to actually run hard/fast yet. Patience, patience, patience. Still lots of time before race day.

My arms were crazy sore from the LIIFT workout. Like they always talk about how washing your hair is difficult because you have to lift your arms over your head, and I've never experienced that problem since lifting started in Fall 2018. But I was there today despite having done LIIFT4 a few times before.

For me, I find that if I take more than about 2 weeks off from serious lifting for a particular muscle group, then I go back to the "this is new" soreness that lasts for about a week. It is motivation not to take too much time off from lifting!

Afterwards, I did the LIIFT4-Shoulders workout. I always like myself a shoulders day. It's really just the bicep workouts that I don't like. Always hurts the inside of my elbow on the side furtherest from my body.

I get this also, especially on my left (non-dominant) side. I suspect it's forearm/grip strength weakness and I'm working too hard to grip the weights.

For me, I find that if I take more than about 2 weeks off from serious lifting for a particular muscle group, then I go back to the "this is new" soreness that lasts for about a week. It is motivation not to take too much time off from lifting!

I get this also, especially on my left (non-dominant) side. I suspect it's forearm/grip strength weakness and I'm working too hard to grip the weights.

Sounds reasonable on both accounts!

12 Weeks to go - 2022 Princess Challenge Training - Week 2/14

11/29/21 - M - OFF
11/30/21 - T - 6 x 0.5 mile @ HM Tempo+ LIIFT4-Chest/Tri
12/1/21 - W - 1.5 miles w/ G at 30/30 + 3.3 miles @ Easy
12/2/21 - R - 8 x 1 min @ 3k effort + LIIFT4-Back/Biceps
12/3/21 - F -1.6 miles w/ G at 30/30 + 3.3 miles @ Easy
12/4/21 - Sa - 10 miles @ LR + LIIFT4-Shoulders
12/5/21 - Su - OFF

Total Run Miles - 32.6 miles
Total Run Time - 4:50 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 0:00 hours
Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Strength Time - 1:07 hours
Total Strength TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 5:58 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

Conditions - ☁️ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 6mph to 11mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 35°F + 23°F; FL - 30°F
End: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 23°F; FL - 30°F

So the question coming into the run was whether I would do a paced workout, or stick with something easy. All last week my shins were bothersome (bilateral and in the same spot as my potential extra bone growth from Lakefront 2016). The hope was that after 2 weeks had passed since the M, I would be somewhat back to normal (as I was after Lakefront 2016). And thankfully that was the case. If it was a 2 out 3 last week, then it was a definite 1 or 0 most of this week. So I think we're ready to rock and roll. The goal was a light introduction to paced work at a 6 x 0.5 mile using HM Tempo. So short duration and small total volume compared to a max level workout. HM Tempo is around 6:39-6:45.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.02.43 AM.png

Because it's dark and cold when I run, it's a little harder to get pace feedback. So I really was just trying to feel the pace. And then after each split, adjust. So the first two were a hair slow (7:27 and 6:50). The third was about where I wanted to be (6:43). And then the last three were too quick (6:36, 6:30, and 6:32). But they were close enough that I can live with it. The workout overall felt good. In all it was 6.75 miles, 54 min, 8:08 pace, and HR of 144.

Afterwards I did the LIIFT4 workout. I went straight from running to the LIIFT4 with minimal post-run stretch. I determined after this sequence that that is something I can't do moving forward. My ankles weren't pleased with the lack of stretching right afterwards. So moving forward it'll be run, then stretch, then lift.

Wednesday

G and I were back at it again.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 11mph to 23mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 43°F + 37°F; FL - 37°F
End: Temp+Dew = 43°F + 37°F; FL - 37°F

It had been a while since we last ran, so we wanted to ease into it. But then she decided she wanted to change the route to see more Xmas lights. So we ended up running a little longer than planned. Ended up at 1.5 miles, 21 min, 14:20 pace using 30/30. She really wants a running watch and now she wants her own Noxgear 360 (she's wearing the dog's at the moment).

Afterwards, I did 3.3 miles on my own. Not much to say about it. Ended up at 3.3 miles, 31 min, 9:24 pace, and HR of 130.

Thursday

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 7mph to 12mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 40°F + 28°F; FL - 35°F
End: Temp+Dew = 38°F + 28°F; FL - 35°F

Was aiming for something a little faster today. More like 3k effort (6:06 pace). Again though, a low volume, and a low duration compared to a max level workout. Still easing into it.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.11.10 AM.png

The first two reps were in a good place. And then things got too quick. 6:15, 6:06, and then 5:53, 5:40, 5:54, 5:46, 5:44, and 5:37. So more like mile pace than 3k pace. It felt nice to run fast again. And dare I say, I feel more normal post-marathon (roughly 18 days) than I normally do post-marathon (about 20-30 days). So I'll take that as a good sign. I'm happy with the workout overall. It was 6.25 miles, 52 min, 8:19 pace, and HR of 137.

Afterwards, I stretched and then did LIIFT4. It went better.

Friday

Another G and dad run.

Conditions - ☁️ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 6mph to 10mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 33°F; FL - 33°F
End: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 32°F; FL - 33°F

We actually went even further today than earlier this week. She's handling it well. She really does like running. We did 1.6 miles, 22 min, 13:50 pace using 30/30.

After that, I did 3.3 miles on my own at 9:16 pace (30 min), and HR of 126. Then it was quickly in the car to pick up Steph from work.

Saturday

The local school was offering a booster clinic. G got her second shot, and I had planned to get mine with her in the morning. But then, I decided to pivot. I moved my LR to Saturday with the expectation that I wouldn't want to run on Sunday. Then I could do the LR, and still have a day before I go back to work on Monday. The plan worked well.

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 12mph to 26mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 18°F; FL - 24°F
End: Temp+Dew = 35°F + 16°F; FL - 24°F

The goal was 12 miles at LR pace. But then I knew I was going to be slower, so I changed to 90 min at LR pace.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.18.05 AM.png

I could tell around Mile 8-9 the effort was becoming a little more than I wanted to give for a LR. So that's when I decided to cut the run at 10 miles. I also anticipated that because last week was 8 instead of 9, and I would likely not run on Sunday, that cutting Saturday's run a little shorter was for the best in the big picture. Instead of adding on missed time, I was cutting the run shorter as to not devote too much time to the LR compared to everything else. For the most part, the GAP was pretty close (7:50s for the majority of the run). In all, 10 miles, 80 min, 8:00 pace, and HR of 139.

Afterwards, I did LIIFT4 shoulders and watched the Badgers take down Marquette.

Sunday

As expected, I did not feel well post-booster. So I didn't end up running. I'm fine with that. Plenty of time until race day.

This coming week is when things start to ratchet up. Tuesday is 8x2 min at 3k effort (still a lower level VO2max workout), and then 8 x 0.75 miles at T pace (volume is decent but the duration is short). That'll put me around 6 hrs for the week and 45 miles. So getting closer to the volume level I was at during the last training plan.

It sounds like G is enjoying your runs together and it cracked me up that she is wearing the dog's nox vest! I never thought about a dog vest being kid-sized.

Yea, G went on this mini-rant when I told her Noxgear didn't sell kids 360s to my knowledge. She was like, "What, they don't think kids run too?" I explained to her that most kids running probably aren't doing it when it's dark and 30F outside. We're the odd ones. "Well just because there are so few of us, doesn't mean they shouldn't still sell the product." We looked into it, but the S size is still meant for 25" chest. I didn't measure her, but I'd be surprised if that were the case. The dog one we have (don't know the size offhand) barely fits her around her chest. It's awkward because it was made for a dog as well. So she's hoping we can make something else work.

and now she wants her own Noxgear 360 (she's wearing the dog's at the moment).
This reminds me of my 4 year old nephew. He has repeatedly told everyone that my socks fit him perfectly and then proceeds to show just how perfectly they fit him. Well, in his defense my normal short run socks do look like compression socks and shorts rolled into one on him, but he's so proud that my socks fit him. He was rather devastated when he discovered that my baby Yoda mask did not fit him. He wanted a mask to match his uncle's so my sister made him a mask using the same BYU fabric and Star Wars fabric that she used for mine, so that made him happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter